• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shootmember 2 Wrasslin |OT| :Shoot from the Hip When in Heated Verbal Exchanges

My take on the bitching here is it comes from people who never enjoyed it from the jump and people parrotting Meltzer's reactions to it. Then for the people who watch it, it ranges from the extended break to shitty contracts to intergender matches to the lack of a Pentagon push to Sexy Star winnimg the title. Like with most things, it's multifaceted.

Sexy Star winning the belt was one of the biggest mistakes they made. They took the least charismatic and talented of the LU women and made her a champion while the other girls couldn't even get that push aside from Ivellise.

The break sucks, but Ultima Lucha is like a great PPV that usually closes off all the storylines at good points. I just wish it would be given a larger viewing audience.

Foggy

I've seen him have great matches with multiple guys, so he's well above standard from an in-ring perspective. And he's good on the mic too.

I kind of don't get how people think so lowly of him.

His great matches are usually because of the other guy. If he toiled primarily in RoH or TNA without associations with BC, he'd be completely anonymous.

I think he's ok, but not much past that. I only consider HHH's infatuation with him as a punchline.

As for his prospects in NXT, as long as he can do ADAM COLE BAYBEE then he'll be fine.

They haven't sacrificed everyone though, have they? Why is there always such an overreaction? They've used Reigns to make both Styles and Strowman look strong over the past two years. Just because Lesnar is the final boss reserved for the top guy, how is that sacrificing everyone?

It's like people complaining that he kicked out of 4 AAs while ignoring Owens kicked out 3 AAs (including a Super AA) and it took 4 to keep Styles down of all people. And they were heels. Or how Nakamura no sold an AA to put Cena down.

People have reached that meme status with Reigns where the girl is eating crackers and you hate.

Not to mention, they've done a solid job of building a bunch of guys in the past two years. Just because they don't get the biggest rub (beating Lesnar) doesn't mean they aren't getting some big ones in general.

Also, the Reigns/Cena match was great. Not surprised to see Meltzer love it since he tends to prioritize storytelling with a lot of WWE matches. I loved how Reigns basically Cena'd Cena himself. Smashed him throughout the match all the while wondering why he had any reason to be wary of him, and Cena did his little comeback by going Super Cena which used to result in a win, except it didn't and he was put down. But Reigns comes out of it knowing what Super Cena was. Solid storytelling in general.

Strowman was getting over. He was getting star reactions. Then (according to that info) they intentionally booked the match with Brock to make him look weaker so that Roman can look stronger when he beats Lesnar. It's sacrificing the heat of a guy who is over to build up a villain for the hero that everyone hates.

Meltzer goes on to say (and I didn't post this) that the original plan before Strowman was hurt was for Lesnar to run through Rollins, Strowman, and Balor all with a single F5 so that Reigns would look stronger when he beat it.

That's hurting three guys to get over one guy. That's not an overreaction. It's just a fact.

Don't know how I'd feel about that. Always thought she was overrated.

I'd love to see Kaitlynn come back, and have Bliss be the stand-in for AJ Lee, and just ragdoll the shit out of herself for Kaitlynn's spear. Would be terrific!

The break sucks, but Ultima Lucha is like a great PPV that usually closes off all the storylines at good points. I just wish it would be given a larger viewing audience.

I really hope S3 ends up on Netflix quickly, because I'm cautiously eager to watch the trainwreck, mixed in with awesome.

His great matches are usually because of the other guy. If he toiled primarily in RoH or TNA without associations with BC, he'd be completely anonymous.

I think he's ok, but not much past that. I only consider HHH's infatuation with him as a punchline.

As for his prospects in NXT, as long as he can do ADAM COLE BAYBEE then he'll be fine.

I disagree. Maybe you could argue that with O'Reilly. But even then I think Cole did a lot with his promos and such leading up to the match. But I thought he had great matches with Briscoe and Lethal, and both of those guys are far from guaranteed great match machines.

I think the fact that he does his catchphrase so much gives off this false impression that that's all he is and it just isn't.

Pikma

Banned
Strowman was getting over. He was getting star reactions. Then (according to that info) they intentionally booked the match with Brock to make him look weaker so that Roman can look stronger when he beats Lesnar. It's sacrificing the heat of a guy who is over to build up a villain for the hero that everyone hates.

Meltzer goes on to say (and I didn't post this) that the original plan before Strowman was hurt was for Lesnar to run through Rollins, Strowman, and Balor all with a single F5 so that Reigns would look stronger when he beat it.

That's hurting three guys to get over one guy. That's not an overreaction. It's just a fact.
You forgot to mention that this guy is a part timer and that once they feed him to that other loser all of his heeeeaaaaat left will leave with him since he'll most likely retire

Foggy

Sexy Star winning the belt was one of the biggest mistakes they made. They took the least charismatic and talented of the LU women and made her a champion while the other girls couldn't even get that push aside from Ivellise.

Yeah her booking arc was actually fine and made total sense...but it shouldn't have been her. It's ultimately at the core of it. Everything about it worked, except for her...which is kind of important.

Tam gets the push when she breaks from the group.

Tam is clearly the money member of the group, fair or not. She routinely gets more streamers than 95% of the roster and it's all because of a coalition of fans that go where she goes. That's the power of being an idol.

I do find it encouraging that she's so into doing weird deathmatch gigs with Onita and changing her look for Oedo Tai. It's a degree of selflessness I didn't anticipate.

You forgot to mention that this guy is a part timer and that once they feed him to that other loser all of his heeeeaaaaat left will leave with him since he'll most likely retire
No you stinky dummy, who eats his own butt, all the

H E A T
E
A
T
will transfer to Roman, but as good

H E A T
E
A
T .

Dummy.

Foggy

I disagree. Maybe you could argue that with O'Reilly. But even then I think Cole did a lot with his promos and such leading up to the match. But I thought he had great matches with Briscoe and Lethal, and both of those guys are far from guaranteed great match machines.

I think the fact that he does his catchphrase so much gives off this false impression that that's all he is and it just isn't.

It's definitely part of it, but for me, I'm informed by his work in RoH, NJPW, PWG, and other random appearances. He can be fun, but I can't muster enthusiasm past that. All that said, I think his charisma will transfer to the WWE model well. He'll do good for himself.

I am still thankful every day that AJ was kept on SD and they sent Bray to Raw instead. Even AJ in the US title scene with Corbin is better than AJ being a geek for Brock or Roman.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
DKxRInpUQAA98UJ.jpg:large

017_NXT_08242017ca_998--1c75ca86e519424a98f445b03157fde5.jpg

���💯���
0461d4deafa78f09ab207465c9d4783b--drew-galloway-adam-cole.jpg

😪

But excelsior told me this was all pretty well thought and that WWE was mostly great🤔

Actually what I said was they did in fact have a plan and that report backs me up. I’ve never said anyone had to like that plan.

Building up the F5 and Spear for Mania is on paper a good idea. That’s the match so make the finishers mean something.

I’ve never said WWE was mostly great. I said I thought Raw this week was good but I’ve never said WWE was mostly great. I just don’t think it’s the disaster some of y’all think it is.

THE GUY

Banned

Reigns himself went down to one F5 just last month. And he barely took a beating in that match. And Strowman got over thanks to the Reigns feud. So how has he been sacrificed for his sake? He's only where he is now because he was given 6 months with Reigns where he basically whooped his ass for most of it.

And it makes sense Lesnar would go over all of those guys. He's been booked as a monster ever since the streak ended. He squashed John Cena. Came close to squashing Reigns before Rollins stopped it. Squashed Randy Orton. Only Goldberg stopped that routine briefly.

But since Goldberg, he's become less of a monster and is making his opponents look much better. Joe looked awesome against Brock because he was the first person on the normal roster to beat the crap out of him. Losing to a single F5 didn't mean anything as he seems like a much bigger badass coming out of that feud. Brock made him seem that badass thanks to selling like crazy for him. Strowman has been dominating him for weeks too, and dominated him in the match too. The next night, he comfortably beat Ambrose too.

How has he been sacrificed? Just because he can't beat the dude who is basically a video game boss in real life?

You're acting as if Brock is out here squashing them like routine, when he's selling like mad for them, and if anything, these past few months have made Brock seem like much less of a monster compared to how he was 2 years ago.

Seriously why are people so quiet on Oedo Tai given how rad they are? You have a vet, the next big thing, the greatest heel persona in years, and an up-comer who's vying for the main spot. Plus they have the sweetest of entrances.

They haven't sacrificed everyone though, have they? Why is there always such an overreaction? They've used Reigns to make both Styles and Strowman look strong over the past two years. Just because Lesnar is the final boss reserved for the top guy, how is that sacrificing everyone?

It's like people complaining that he kicked out of 4 AAs while ignoring Owens kicked out 3 AAs (including a Super AA) and it took 4 to keep Styles down of all people. And they were heels. Or how Nakamura no sold an AA to put Cena down.

People have reached that meme status with Reigns where the girl is eating crackers and you hate.

Not to mention, they've done a solid job of building a bunch of guys in the past two years. Just because they don't get the biggest rub (beating Lesnar) doesn't mean they aren't getting some big ones in general.

Also, the Reigns/Cena match was great. Not surprised to see Meltzer love it since he tends to prioritize storytelling with a lot of WWE matches. I loved how Reigns basically Cena'd Cena himself. Smashed him throughout the match all the while wondering why he had any reason to be wary of him, and Cena did his little comeback by going Super Cena which used to result in a win, except it didn't and he was put down. But Reigns comes out of it knowing what Super Cena was. Solid storytelling in general.

I like you.

Reigns himself went down to one F5 just last month. And he barely took a beating in that match. And Strowman got over thanks to the Reigns feud. So how has he been sacrificed for his sake? He's only where he is now because he was given 6 months with Reigns where he basically whooped his ass for most of it.

And it makes sense Lesnar would go over all of those guys. He's been booked as a monster ever since the streak ended. He squashed John Cena. Came close to squashing Reigns before Rollins stopped it. Squashed Randy Orton. Only Goldberg stopped that routine briefly.

But since Goldberg, he's become less of a monster and is making his opponents look much better. Joe looked awesome against Brock because he was the first person on the normal roster to beat the crap out of him. Losing to a single F5 didn't mean anything as he seems like a much bigger badass coming out of that feud. Brock made him seem that badass thanks to selling like crazy for him. Strowman has been dominating him for weeks too, and dominated him in the match too. The next night, he comfortably beat Ambrose too.

How has he been sacrificed? Just because he can't beat the dude who is basically a video game boss in real life?

You're acting as if Brock is out here squashing them like routine, when he's selling like mad for them, and if anything, these past few months have made Brock seem like much less of a monster compared to how he was 2 years ago.

Joe came out of the Lesnar feud better because of that feud's build. Had little to do with the match itself. In that match, Lesnar literally stood up out of Joe's finisher and beat him with his own. Killed the whole mystique of the move they spent the whole build on. Same with Strowman. The build was great and helped. The match itself didn't. Lesnar kicks out of Strowman's finish then beats him with a single one of his own.

It weakens the reputation of Joe and Strowman's skills when Lesnar can so easily overcome them. An under ten minute match almost never ends with both guys better for it, and that trend wasn't bucked with Joe or Strowman with Lesnar. The builds were what helped them.

Strowman was revitalized literally the next night. It was a disappointing match but not the end of Strowman

No, obviously it wasn't the end. No one is saying that.

And again, the build was a positive for him. He looked great. But the booking of the actual match was a mistake and did not help him at all. And the booking of the match is a factor of them wanting Brock to be as strong as possible for Roman.

No, obviously it wasn't the end. No one is saying that.

And again, the build was a positive for him. He looked great. But the booking of the actual match was a mistake and did not help him at all. And the booking of the match is a factor of them wanting Brock to be as strong as possible for Roman.

They should have had more crazy outside the ring shit absolutely. They could have still had a crazy match and still have the single F5 finish.

I’d be more concerned had they not done great stuff with Strowman the next night.

cordy

Banned
Strowman right now looks lesser than he did before the Lesnar match. That's just the truth of the matter. Same thing happens with a lot of stars.

As for Styles, let's be serious. That Cena feud is the feud that really made him seem like he needs to hold the belt, not that Reigns one. That Reigns feud was good but it ended the same way most feuds with Roman ends. Styles was just another notch on dude's belt. After the Cena feud though, that's when he gained his current spot. That Styles was the best.

They should have had more crazy outside the ring shit absolutely. They could have still had a crazy match and still have the single F5 finish.

I’d be more concerned had they not done great stuff with Strowman the next night.

I agree for the most part. Strowman not being allowed to do what got him over and what was getting him over is BS, and Meltzer specifically says the match was designed to not have any outside stuff so Lesnar could look best.

But any argument that the booking of the Joe and Strowman matches is not a negative is a non-starter IMO. And that's my main point.

Foggy

Seriously why are people so quiet on Oedo Tai given how rad they are? You have a vet, the next big thing, the greatest heel persona in years, and an up-comer who's vying for the main spot. Plus they have the sweetest of entrances.

I am the tip of the spear

Until someone starts posting gifs on reddit

Pikma

Banned
No you stinky dummy, who eats his own butt, all the

H E A T
E
A
T
will transfer to Roman, but as good

H E A T
E
A
T .

Dummy.
Oh Owenswasnever, what will I do with you

Everyone knows HEEEEAAAAAT transfers are not 1:1. When a HEEEEEAAAAT transfer occurs some of it gets lost in the process and then there's some that remains with the entity doing the job

Think of it this way, when B gets pinned in front of C by A, half of her HEEEEAAAAT will split in two and go to A and C, although some of C's HEEEEAT will get lost in the process as some of C were probably on bathroom/food break and/or sleeping

A being jobber, B being Bayley and C being Bayley's hometown crowd in this case

Hex

Banned

qlXDHhC.gif

THE GUY

Banned
Joe came out of the Lesnar feud better because of that feud's build. Had little to do with the match itself. In that match, Lesnar literally stood up out of Joe's finisher and beat him with his own. Killed the whole mystique of the move they spent the whole build on. Same with Strowman. The build was great and helped. The match itself didn't. Lesnar kicks out of Strowman's finish then beats him with a single one of his own.

It weakens the reputation of Joe and Strowman's skills when Lesnar can so easily overcome them. An under ten minute match almost never ends with both guys better for it, and that trend wasn't bucked with Joe or Strowman with Lesnar. The builds were what helped them.
The Joe match was perfect. It didn't kill the mystique of his move at all. He was in there with Brock, beat the shit out of him, overwhelmed him, and Brock barely survived. That's what the match was. Brock surviving because he managed to pull off his finisher. He was the first guy, aside from Goldberg, to beat down Brock like that. Not to mention, you're complaining they're sacrificing everyone for Reigns, when Joe himself has put down Reigns multiple times with that move. He helped Strowman win his LMS match thanks to that move shortly after that match with Brock. Not some excessive spot, but because a choke made him Reigns pass out.

What's been ruined? That everyone except Brock can't handle it when it's locked in?

Could the Strowman match have been booked better? Absolutely. But he hasn't been sacrificed for anyone. The execution was a little off, and if anything, it's not even the F5 that stands out to me. It's that they built in the Kimura making Strowman unable to cover Brock after a second powerslam, but then had him do a third and make the cover anyway. If they simply reversed that, Strowman would come out looking better because it'd leave a question mark over whether Brock would've kicked out or not. That's the major flaw in their execution.

You're complaining about theoreticals with Balor, but don't complain that the guy lost to Bray Wyatt. You're complaining that Rollins would've lost to a single F5, but seem to ignore that he lost to Bray Wyatt back to back just earlier this year from a single finisher.

Bray Wyatt.

Not Brock Lesnar.

Bray Wyatt.

As in if WWE had a totem pole, it'd go something like Reigns > Brock > Cena > Rollins > Orton > Styles > Ambrose > Strowman > Owens > and somewhere around here there'd possibly be Bray Wyatt.

That guy. The one who hasn't done anything noteworthy since the Bryan feud, which was obviously a mistake, because Bryan made him look good enough that people thought he actually was.

Because it's joshi.

If Adam Cole's mainstream I think it's about time we look at the fringes. It's just such an obvious thing I'm surprised we don't see it more and they've just nailed the entrance.

They're dope. Tam is a great addition.

But no one watches Stardom. :(

It's a shame given that it's so cheap.

I saw Tam joining and it was rad, just the whole team's so great. They come across as entertaining but they all have different limits to their heeling where it's obvious you should jeer. On top of that their entrance is soooooooooo good. =

I am the tip of the spear

Until someone starts posting gifs on reddit

Dude, spend like 7 buck for one month and you get their entire archive. If you don't like it then you'd loose less than you do to Vince.

Top Bottom