• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight Officially Heading to Retail

@MUWANdo

Banned
Wait...is this true? I had no idea this came with the soundtrack.

This was the retailer memo that went out at the time of the price increase:
CNiQTYjUkAAa9cg.jpg

Jimrpg

Are people double dipping just to keep a copy of it on their shelves? I mean if you have it in digital already, isn't it easier to play the digital version? (I suppose if you have two handhelds, I could see a reason to double dip).

Besides that, which version should I get? PC/vita/3DS? (Digital)

Kosma

Banned
Finished the Vita version today, would recommend this game wholeheartedly.

Nice music, good pixelart but above all quality old school platforming with modern sensibilities (check points etc). Great difficulty curve and the in level check points are well spaced. Some bosses were a bit on the easy side though. Good variety in levels, the game doesnt outstay its welcome and doesnt repeat content which is refreshing. 9/10 for me.

jacobeid

Banned
Are people double dipping just to keep a copy of it on their shelves? I mean if you have it in digital already, isn't it easier to play the digital version? (I suppose if you have two handhelds, I could see a reason to double dip).

Besides that, which version should I get? PC/vita/3DS? (Digital)

Yup. I own this digitally on Wii U and PS4 but I pre-ordered a physical PS4 copy. It's my favorite game of last year and I want a physical manual. I wouldn't typically do that though.

I thought there was originally a shovel knight disc release for xbox one, did I think wrong or did they pull it?

fuck I was planning to buy that :(

*edit* guess they pulled it, bullshit.

but the thing about this is the xbox version came out last, so of course it's going to have smaller sales. The reason why I never bought digital was because of this disc release, sigh.

Blues1990

It's awesome to hear that every box copy now includes a audio CD of the game's soundtrack. I can't wait to pick it up a copy for the Wii U when it comes out...

Wait, when is the physical release launching?

It's awesome to hear that every box copy now includes a audio CD of the game's soundtrack. I can't wait to pick it up a copy for the Wii U when it comes out...

Wait, when is the physical release launching?

end of the month, that's what amazon UK says at least.

*edit* I tweeted them about it:

yl1Zf7V.png

-shadow-

Can't wait for the release. I wanted to buy it but never came around to it. So next time I'm in stores I can immediately grab the game. Really happy it's getting a release game!

hawk2025

end of the month, that's what amazon UK says at least.

*edit* I tweeted them about it:

yl1Zf7V.png

Maybe they can make it pre-order only?

I would say it may have been something about disc pressing minimums, but Retro City Rampage came out on PS4 with only 1000 copies, so that can't be it...

The original release date was October 13 for NA and October 16 for PAL regions, as announced by YCG.

Amazon says November 3rd.

I can't decide if I want this or not! I already have the game on my 2DS. If it comes with a soundtrack -Can someone confirm that it does?-, that would be a good addition that would make this tempting.

hawk2025

The just-annouced "Limited Run" initiative of releasing physical copies on Vita and PS4 may have shed some light on the mysterious disappearance of the Xbox One version:

MAC: You mentioned on Twitter that PS4 projects would have a lower production cost than Vita, so will that be a focus early on over Vita titles? Are Sony products going to be the main focus for now?

JF: Sony consoles and handhelds are the main focus right now, and that's due to how progressive Sony is with allowing smaller publishers to do physical runs. I can't go into detail, but their minimum order quantities are incredibly reasonable compared to Microsoft and Nintendo. I don't get the feeling that either of the latter want to waste their time with smaller print runs. This is just one more reason on the pile of reasons to develop for Sony.

Perhaps, given the sales and the print numbers they were going to shoot for, Shovel Knight simply became infeasible on Xbox One, and they may be trying to renegotiate the print size or figure out if it's worth bothering with a higher print in the first place.

Are people double dipping just to keep a copy of it on their shelves?
I've owned the game digitally on 3DS the day it came out and I plant to double dip on it and buy it physically on Wii U. I thought about buying it on Xbone too. I'm in love with the game (was my GOTY) and want to give the devs all the support I can. I much prefer physical over digital and a soundtrack being included is also quite a big draw for me.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Amazon says November 3rd.

I can't decide if I want this or not! I already have the game on my 2DS. If it comes with a soundtrack -Can someone confirm that it does?-, that would be a good addition that would make this tempting.

Like I said, those October dates were the dates originally announced; it got delayed pretty quickly.

Every story on the inclusion of the soundtrack uses that same picture I posted earlier as a source, as well as the fact that Amazon and other sites added a "Legendary Soundtrack" bullet point to their product listings around the same time. My advice would be to pester YCG on twitter and hope they confirm/deny.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Wasn't last gen the 360 the first choice for super niche games (like shmups) due to the far smaller minimum print run then the PS3 had? Or did MS do a 180 there too?

The relationship between shmups and X360 didn't have much to do with minimum print runs--in fact, one of the reasons that developers like CAVE went back and forth on region-locking their games is because the minimum print runs were higher for region-free releases and they couldn't necessarily count on importers to make up the difference.

@MUWANdo

Banned
tl;dr from that link:

-New release date: November 3 for NA, October 30 for Europe

-XB1 retail version cancelled due to "publishing policies on that platform that are totally beyond our control"

-$24.99 price increase was due to retailer policies that meant a $20 game would only be stocked in the discount/clearance section of some retailers

-Retail game will come with a free digital copy of the soundtrack (ie not a cd)

-They acknowledge all the requests for a retail Vita version; "we are still working our hardest to make it possible"

emb

tl;dr from that link:

-New release date: November 3 for NA, October 30 for Europe

-XB1 retail version cancelled due to "publishing policies on that platform that are totally beyond our control"

-$24.99 price increase was due to retailer policies that meant a $20 game would only be stocked in the discount/clearance section of some retailers

-Retail game will come with a free digital copy of the soundtrack (ie not a cd)

-They acknowledge all the requests for a retail Vita version; "we are still working our hardest to make it possible"
Some key quotes:
Release Date Change

November 3rd for North America, October 30th for Europe

The final few steps of the Plague of Shadows content took a little longer than expected, but it was important to us that this update to be on the disc/cart right out of the box! Unfortunately that meant we had to push back the date just a little a bit.
I love that they're making sure it's all on the disc. Would have probably been so much easier just to include a download code with the game. Instead, the developers decided to do the right thing. Good call.
Xbox One Retail Version Cancelled

With extremely heavy hearts, we’re sad to announce there will not be an Xbox One physical version this holiday. We really gave it our best effort, but unfortunately, because of publishing policies on that platform that are totally beyond our control, we couldn’t make it happen. We’re very sorry…we know there is a lot of interest – the pre-orders were really good and we thank everyone for their support!

We’ll keep fighting to get a retail version on Xbox One, but as of now, the boxed version is in indefinite limbo.
Really makes me wonder what it is about MS's publishing policies that stopped things. Too high of a minimum run? Prohibitive cost? Some sort of parity/cross platform shenanigans?
Although everyone initially agreed to a $19.99 price point, some retailers ran into trouble with limited space to show off their wares, and the rules in place about where games with certain prices are displayed. We didn’t want our ‘bargain priced’ game to go straight to the bargain bin of obscurity, so we had to raise the price.

However, we didn’t want anyone to feel as if they were getting hoodwinked just because of our retail situation! If you have already pre-ordered Shovel Knight, your retailer should honor the original price!

We’ve been working hard every day to ensure the physical version is a welcome addition to your game library. From box cover to disc to full color instruction manual. Lastly, to make the package even more compelling at its new price, we’ve added even more!
I'm surprised to learn that the bargain bin in some retailers is based purely on price. I always thought it was some combination of price + age + popularity, with age/shelf life being the big factor.

Some key quotes:

I love that they're making sure it's all on the disc. Would have probably been so much easier just to include a download code with the game. Instead, the developers decided to do the right thing. Good call.
[...]
I welcome that as well. I rather wait a couple more weeks but know that I have that stuff on the disc/cart.

Wait a second...

Isn't the soundtrack free already on virt's bandcamp? Will the digital soundtrack bonus just be a link to virt' site? lol

ShadowOwl

Just grabbed my retail 3DS copy from a local store.

Btw, what about the 2.01 update for Shovel Knight on consoles? The PC version has been updated quite a while ago and now that the retail versions are available (at least in Europe) this would have been the perfect time for the update.

Justinh

PS4. The OT for the DLC is what really sold me on buying the game, and just found out it's all on the disc from the get go! Excellent stuff!

Holy crap, are you in for a treat!
I haven't tried the DLC yet, but this is the kind of game the makes me wish neuralyzer existed so I could play this game all over again for the first time.

Top Bottom