• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight Officially Heading to Retail

@MUWANdo

Banned
Hmm, I see. That does indeed seem premature. Ah well. is it anything important?

The first update is for a second playable campaign with a different character (Plague Knight); it's not out yet but it should be out soon and they've said it'll be included with the retail version.

Future updates include two additional campaigns (King Knight and Spectre Knight), a gender-swap mode and a local multiplayer battle mode (not available for handhelds), none of which will be included with the retail version--you'll be able to download the updates for free as they're released, of course, but they won't be on the disc/cart.

There's also a challenge mode that will be released piece-by-piece with the updates, so some but not all of the challenge stages will be included with the retail version.

Sort-of like the Splatoon situation, then. Except one game is priced at $60 (In NA) and the other is $20.

Interesting. But I also doubt any of that stuff will be on the SK disc since it won't be ready by the time the retail version comes out.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Sort-of like the Splatoon situation, then. Except one game is priced at $60 (In NA) and the other is $20.

Interesting. But I also doubt any of that stuff will be on the SK disc since it won't be ready by the time the retail version comes out.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying--the Plague Knight update will be on the disc, everything else will be missing.

Splatoon is different because the content is done but they're staggering the unlocks to keep people engaged, but in Shovel Knight's case, none of the additional content began development until after the game was out, primarily because they couldn't afford to make it all at once.

Jamix012

Sorry for the bump, but I didn't want to start a new thread. Best buy just cancelled by Xbox One Shovel Knight preorder with no warning....only me or more widespread?

Sorry for the bump, but I didn't want to start a new thread. Best buy just cancelled by Xbox One Shovel Knight preorder with no warning....only me or more widespread?

Mine was just cancelled as well. Looks like the Xbox One version has been removed from their online store, while the physical PS4, WiiU, and 3DS editions are still listed as available for pre-order (for now at least).

Amazon still lists the Xbox One version, but I hope it comes back to Best Buy; I was hoping to use my GCU discount.

Jamix012

Mine was just cancelled as well. Looks like the Xbox One version has been removed from their online store, while the physical PS4, WiiU, and 3DS editions are still listed as available for pre-order (for now at least).

Amazon still lists the Xbox One version, but I hope it comes back to Best Buy; I was hoping to use my GCU discount.

Yeah maybe the XB1 version was the least popular or something so BB jumped off? Would be a shame :/

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
perfect - god i love when digital games give retail versions.

hope they don't come out with an ultimate edition with all dlc on disc though ;_;

I'll buy the physical PS4 version. Or maybe 3DS. I feel stupid buying the game twice on Wiiu, and no sense losing my "no third party Wii u games" streak now lol

Famassu

They should've waited until at least most of the post-release DLC is actually out, so that the disc would have as content-complete a version of the game as possible. Just as future-proofing.

Yeah maybe the XB1 version was the least popular or something so BB jumped off? Would be a shame :/

Looks like people have asked Yacht Club Games about it on Twitter and they're looking into it (further confirming they rock):

@YachtClubGames on Twitter said:
@NotTheFakeBruce Sorry for the surprise. We're trying to figure out whats up in the land of Xbox One. Hope to have an update soon.

Shovel_Knight.png

jacobeid

Banned
My best buy PS4 pre-order (from June 30) just slipped to November 3rd. I already asked Yacht Club about it :(((((((

Anyone else?

Wait wait so The Plague DLC is free?!

I was seriously ready to drop like £10 or more on this

I <3 you Yacht Club Games!

I got into Shovel Knight recently playing on the wii u its so good

Will buy some physical versions cuz why not

I'm getting tempted to pre-order the Xbox One physical release from the MS Store, since it seems to be getting delisted from other retailers (Best Buy, Amazon, Gamestop). Though Yacht Club did mention earlier today on Twitter that they're "trying to confirm all things retail right now" and "will have an update this week," so I suppose I'll wait a little longer to see what's up.

I wonder if there was some manufacturing snafu with the X1 discs or something.

I'm getting tempted to pre-order the Xbox One physical release from the MS Store, since it seems to be getting delisted from other retailers (Best Buy, Amazon, Gamestop). Though Yacht Club did mention earlier today on Twitter that they're "trying to confirm all things retail right now" and "will have an update this week," so I suppose I'll wait a little longer to see what's up.

I wonder if there was some manufacturing snafu with the X1 discs or something.

Yeah, there's definitely something up with the XB1 version. It's gone from all sites and it's the only version that I have pre-ordered via Amazon that no longer has a release date

Wasnt gonna get this as I had the 3ds version. But I never got to finish it because I gave it to my girlfriend and got a n3ds. Now I cant go back to the Og 3ds.

So gonna grab a xb1 copy for the battle toads content. Heard it was good.

gar3

First, Best Buy cancels my $20 pre-order of the Xbox One version of Shovel Knight.
Now, Microsoft.com has canceled my $30 pre-order of it:

My name is Taylor and I am reaching out to you about your order [-----] placed recently at the Microsoft Online Store. We regret to inform you that we received word from the publisher that this release has been cancelled (or at least delayed significantly with no release ETA). The publisher has not released any information as to why this title is being cancelled. Because of this, we are unable to ship your product and you will soon see a cancellation notification from your order. We appreciate your interest in our store and would like to offer you a promotional code valued at $5 as an apology for the inconvenience this causes. The promotional code can be used toward your next order at the Microsoft Online Store.

So it looks like no retail version of Shovel Knight on Xbox One in the US :-(

First, Best Buy cancels my $20 pre-order of the Xbox One version of Shovel Knight.
Now, Microsoft.com has canceled my $30 pre-order of it:

My name is Taylor and I am reaching out to you about your order [-----] placed recently at the Microsoft Online Store. We regret to inform you that we received word from the publisher that this release has been cancelled (or at least delayed significantly with no release ETA). The publisher has not released any information as to why this title is being cancelled. Because of this, we are unable to ship your product and you will soon see a cancellation notification from your order. We appreciate your interest in our store and would like to offer you a promotional code valued at $5 as an apology for the inconvenience this causes. The promotional code can be used toward your next order at the Microsoft Online Store.

So it looks like no retail version of Shovel Knight on Xbox One in the US :-(
That's so weird. But I do remember reading the Xbox One version of SH was by far the worst performing so I guess there's at least some logic behind this. Be it the audience not being there or whatever but it's the reality.

It's a pity since the Battletoads thing was by far better than the God of War we got on Playstation.

Justinh

Damn. That's a bummer.

I already have the game on Wii U, and steam, and a digital copy on Xbone, but I wanted a physical Xbox One copy.

Hopefully sometime in the future...
Not holding my breath, though.

I wonder why the publisher hasn't said anything official about the X1 version yet.

Is this still coming out next week for the other systems?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I have over 50 hours on the 3DS version. And I only gave these guys $15! I'll pay more money for more DLC challenge mode missions.

Maybe I'll buy a t-shirt or an Amiibo, I don't need a physical copy. Unless it comes with an instruction manual....

Quick question: Does the WiiU version support OG Wii Classic Controller, aka the best Nintendo controller?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
The OP says the MSRP is $19.99 but the websites are all reading $24.99, is it confirmed that is the price? Or what's the deal here?

Also: This 4-player arena mode, is that just doing to be DLC on the digital version, or is it exclusive to the retail? EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like its future update. Nothing is exclusive to the retail other than the pretty art and disc.

perfect - god i love when digital games give retail versions.

hope they don't come out with an ultimate edition with all dlc on disc though ;_;

Agreed.

I already own it on the Wii U, and plan on buying the 3DS and PS4 versions to show my love for this game.

I do fear that an "ultimate shovel knight" will come out when all is said and done and I'll have to buy it yet again.

The OP says the MSRP is $19.99 but the websites are all reading $24.99, is it confirmed that is the price? Or what's the deal here?

Also: This 4-player arena mode, is that just doing to be DLC on the digital version, or is it exclusive to the retail?

The price increased after the OP was made. If you preordered early, Amazon will honor.

Agreed.

I already own it on the Wii U, and plan on buying the 3DS and PS4 versions to show my love for this game.

I do fear that an "ultimate shovel knight" will come out when all is said and done and I'll have to buy it yet again.

If it's any consolation, the DLC is free. That might dissuade them from doing a GOTY edition.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Agreed.

I really recommend the 3DS version. The 3D effect is awesome on any 2D sprite based games.

Scotia

Banned
Didn't know the physical version had so much extra content and for £15 it was a no-brainer. Just pre-ordered it now.

Top Bottom