• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight Officially Heading to Retail

Tomita

Hell yes! Glad I put off purchasing this thanks to my backlog.

Too bad I can't get the Battletoads version. I hope the Nintendo additions are meaty.

Xenthar

Got it digital on Wii U a few month ago but man, i need this. Probably gonna get it on Ps4 and maybe 3DS. Great game.

EACH!? Why more than one!?

Okay, okay. Here's how I rationalized it in my head.

PS4 is my main machine and I would love to own it on disc for that platform.

Xbox one has battletoads!

3DS is in...3D!!!!

And uh...owning it on Wii U would be cool. Nintendo and all. Super limited I'm sure.

Look man, I love those devs and wanna support them as much as I can. I'm also crazy. Apparently.

Wii U or PS4?

It came to Wii U first and that's where I own it already, so I somewhat consider it as a Wii U title and would like it on my shelf with my Wii U games..

But PS4 will be somewhat of my main platform and will end up with a mighty impressive library in a few years so I'd like to see everything in one place and see if it can rival the PS2 collection in the end.

I wish they had released it in retail originally... It's kind of silly to do this a year after release when almost everyone who might want the game has already bought it digitally. I'll probably still buy a copy, but still... it's the exact same game as the digital version.

I wish they had released it in retail originally... It's kind of silly to do this a year after release when almost everyone who might want the game has already bought it digitally. I'll probably still buy a copy, but still... it's the exact same game as the digital version.

That's exactly why they did it that way. There will be a lot who're going to double dip in order to have a physical version of the game. I'll be one of them...

Vitacat

Yes, because this game deserves to be hugged. You can't hug digital.

You also can't:

-resell a digital game
-lend or trade a digital game (on most gaming platforms)
-get nice box art, manuals or other physical items with digital games
-take advantage of as many sales and discounts with digital games

Physical maintains choices and consumer rights that are completely lost with digital. Unless a digital game is very significantly cheaper than physical I will always choose physical.

Having said that, I never played Shovel Knight, and look forward to getting it physical with my GCU discount.

Pinky

Banned
You also can't:

-resell a digital game
-lend or trade a digital game (on most gaming platforms)
-get nice box art, manuals or other physical items with digital games
-take advantage of as many sales and discounts with digital games

Physical maintains choices and consumer rights that are completely lost with digital. Unless a digital game is very significantly cheaper than physical I will always choose physical.

Having said that, I never played Shovel Knight, and look forward to getting it physical with my GCU discount.

You are in for a treat. Hope you enjoy it!

I think that for consoles it's definitely worth it to go retail, but with my 3DS I think it's super convenient to have all my digital titles on one system and wish I went digital from the beginning, or had enough space to own most of the game's on the system.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I kinda wish they'd waited until all the extra content was done before releasing a physical version; having to patch in all the extra content (or not being able to access the extra content in a few years) kinda negates the desire for a physical copy, honestly.

MMaRsu

I should really finish this

Game is dope as far as Ive played

And yeah possible double dip if it comes to the Netherlands for 15 or 20 euros

Did they really need to put this game into a physical medium???

Everything deserves to be on a physical medium so that it can be played forever on whatever system you buy it for, and you wouldn't need access to the internet to download or re-download it. Besides, we're getting a full-color manual so it's even more justified.

is the game really that good for some of you to triple dip?

Spoken like someone who's never played the game.

Tell me your secrets

For me, definitely. It's cheap enough that buying it multiple times doesn't feel bad to me.

Well, it's $20. So think about it this way, for the usual $60 price tag (poisonous I know, but bear with me), you could get 3 Shovel Knights.

What's better, $60 flavor-of-the-month or 3 Shovel Knights? Your choice, not your person, will determine your fate.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Everything deserves to be on a physical medium so that it can be played forever on whatever system you buy it for, and you wouldn't need access to the internet to download or re-download it.

Sure, but like I said, there's a ton of patch content yet to come that obviously won't be on the disc/cart, so it's kinda premature.

Top Bottom