• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight (PC/WiiU/3DS) Kickstarter by Yacht Club Games [Complete, ~$310K]

Meelow

Banned
Nintendo Feed: After Shovel Knight hits release, what's next for Yacht Club Games? Can you confirm any other games in the pipeline from your end?

Yacht Club Games: Shovel Knight is the start of something great; it's not just the start of a new game but the beginning of a new company. Once the game is released, we plan on hitting all the stretch goals that we've promised and getting Shovel Knight on as many platforms as possible. We have been talking about a lot of other ideas but we can't really confirm anything new or exciting. We'd ultimately like to do a sequel (or two!) and one of our favorite ideas is to make a Super Shovel Knight that is both a sequel and an upgrade into 16-bit land, or even a Shovel Knight 64! We would LOVE to tackle a 3D platformer! It's all up in the air at this point and we have a lot to think about before something like that is finalized but we'll be around for a while, so you can look forward to all kinds of crazy shenanigans in the future!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
A faux N64-style platformer would be quite novel! 2D platformers are exceedingly well-represented in the indie scene, but pretty much nobody is having a go at 3D platforming.

Especially if they approach it the same way they are this first Shovel Knight, emulating the look of the era but not necessarily the limitations. The Achilles' heel of early 3D isn't the low poly counts, it's the spotty framerates, weak draw distances, jaggy muddy textures, and texture popping/clipping.

I would LOVE a fake N64 game. Intentionally low polygon models but without the blurriness of crappy texture filtering and low resolution. Like playing N64 games in an emulator

beta_fuse

I love the idea of them changing the style for each sequel. It's like seeing its progression from NES era to the N64 era. Cool stuff if it happens.

KevinCow

Banned
I would kickstart the shit out of Shovel Knight 64.

So there would be Shovel Knight, Super Shovel Knight, and Shovel Knight 64, and a gritty reboot for this gen called The Shovel Knight. But what about the PS2 gen?

CDX

Want a "Super Shovel Knight" or a "Shovel Knight X" a 16-bit style sequel.

Don't want Shovel Knight 64. Wouldn't mind a 3D game but I personally don't ever want to revisit the 32bit/64bit 3D graphics ever again. nope.

Momentary

Banned
Damn... I really want to donate now to c-wars now. I have them starred... but some of their pricing levels are too hgh... especially just to get the Steam version.

duckroll

So good:

SubWeapon2.Gif

This game looks brilliant. Add the fact that they are talking about Super Shovel Knight and Shovel Knight 64 and you can instantly make me a hardcore fan. I'm so glad that I backed this.

Edit: Also, very sexy level design above. I approve.

Eric C

OK, which ones are you voting for to be the 3 additional playable characters?

Aa9z1E0l.png

Click each character for a larger image, and to read description

Not sure if we'll even be able to vote for The Enchantress.

MicH

I also think I'll vote for Mole Knight and Plague Knight. I really like Propeller Knight, but with the Propeller power up, I don't know... Maybe Treasure Knight if the anchor is ranged as well :D (as in he can throw it and reel it back in or something)

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Tinker Knight should be on your side because he doesn't look imposing as a boss, and who doesn't like the underdog?

zroid

Banned
I agree with the suggestion on the Sup Holmes: Treasure Knight should be renamed Plunder Knight. P-Knight domination!

I'll vote for Treasure Knight and Plague Knight for sure. Specter Knight or Propeller Knight will be my third. Do we know when the polls are going out?

Here's hoping this is released on Vita someday :/

Here's hoping you'll own one of the systems this appears on someday :(

they even mention Vita on their kickstarter page. I wouldn't worry tbh.

Eusis

Doesn't look too resource intense. I'm sure it will run on the majority of PC's out there. Could be entirely wrong though.
Some of these retro recreations can be more demanding than they'd seem at first, in resources and power. But I wouldn't worry in this case, it's mainly, say, trying to make a deliberately NES looking game on Genesis/SNES and MAYBE N64/PS1 that can be hard, I'm sure with PS2 onwards that's not really a concern, nevermind computer hardware from the last decade.

Top Bottom