• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show off your Android Customizations thread

Im using

Switch pro
Pure calendar
Pandora minimal mod
Analog clock by mjdev
Minimalistic text for city/temp
Beautiful widgets forecast
My icons in helvetica ultrathin italic
Launcher pro plus messaging
Launcher pro plus facebook

My system font is neutratext small caps in bold and regular applied using type fresh (must have root)

KiKaL

j-wood said:
Has anyone tried the "Go Launcher" from the market? Is it better than LP Plus or ADW?

I just got it this afternoon. I've been using Launcher Pro for 3-4 Months and switched to ADW EX last week.

So far it seems to have the features I liked of Launcher Pro and the speed I liked of ADW. Like I said though, I've only had it for a few hours though.

Go launcher is pretty nice. I like the app drawer a lot. It really shows what lpp is lacking. But im going to stay with lpp for now cuz of the widgets :)

Slizz

RJNavarrete said:
Go launcher is pretty nice. I like the app drawer a lot. It really shows what lpp is lacking. But im going to stay with lpp for now cuz of the widgets :)
Can you post the dock you are using from the most recent theme?

womp

Launcher Pro has always run fine for a week or so and then suddenly my X just starts to freeze and become unresponsive to the point of requiring a battery pull. It started doing it again recently so it has been uninstalled. Installed Zeam in its place and have been pretty happy so far.

Dibbz

RJNavarrete said:
keep on trucking.

januarymod_by_rjnavarrete-d36f2oy.png

here are my text icons in black and white [original and italicized] format. enjoy. also included are some wallpapers that go well with these icons.

http://rjnavarrete.deviantart.com/art/januarymod-192179554
Right, I just bought Launcher Pro and downloaded your icons but when I go to make a shortcut and replace the icon with one of yours it comes out really really small and I can't see any options to change it. I'm using a Motorola Droid 2 btw, just kinda got it and have no idea how to do much with it.

How do I change the size of shortcuts?

BTW your wallpapers are great, got them to :D

EDIT:- Also how do you get the facebook widget to have hard edges and set it transparent? Mine is the default LauncherPro widget and it has rounded edges and is black.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Dibbz said:
Right, I just bought Launcher Pro and downloaded your icons but when I go to make a shortcut and replace the icon with one of yours it comes out really really small and I can't see any options to change it. I'm using a Motorola Droid 2 btw, just kinda got it and have no idea how to do much with it.

How do I change the size of shortcuts?

BTW your wallpapers are great, got them to :D

EDIT:- Also how do you get the facebook widget to have hard edges and set it transparent? Mine is the default LauncherPro widget and it has rounded edges and is black.

You're using Desktop Visualizer for the icons, right?

Dibbz

just installed desktop visulizer and they're still tiny. Doesn't seem like there is an option to make them bigger :|

Sorry I'm a noob about this.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I gotta find me some good dock icons. Finally decided on re-theme'ing my droid today.

Any good links peoples?

Edit:

Never mind, found some.

But i need something where I can change my music (pause, play, forward, back) from my lock screen, any recommendations?

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Dibbz said:
just installed desktop visulizer and they're still tiny. Doesn't seem like there is an option to make them bigger :|

Sorry I'm a noob about this.

Make sure you're placing a 4x1 desktop visualizer widget. Once you do that, press the widget and it should ask you which icon and action you want it for.

t0mp

So I just uninstalled Launcher Pro and went to Go Launcher. I like it, but I click the text messaging button at the bottom and it says "this application is not installed on your phone"

wat.

little help anyone? I'm real new at this android phone customization..

kinggroin

Banned
t0mp said:
So I just uninstalled Launcher Pro and went to Go Launcher. I like it, but I click the text messaging button at the bottom and it says "this application is not installed on your phone"

wat.

little help anyone? I'm real new at this android phone customization..

Press and hold on the messenger icon. A dialog box will come up and you select change shortcut. Pick up your messenger application.

t0mp

kinggroin said:
Press and hold on the messenger icon. A dialog box will come up and you select change shortcut. Pick up your messenger application.
fuck. just figured it out as you posted. thanks dude. sorry about the stupid question, just had to mess with it.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
RJNavarrete said:
and Bad_Boy, there are a few market apps that allow that, but you could always use WidgetLocker to add whatever widget you like to your lockscreen.
Thanks, I'll try that.

Heres my droid so far... used your wallpaper. :)

2iqxzkg.jpg

gotta go to work, will work on it later.

Zeppu

Bad_Boy said:
Thanks, I'll try that.

Heres my droid so far... used your wallpaper. :)

2iqxzkg.jpg

gotta go to work, will work on it later.

nice! Looks fucken awesome (except the center bottom button which should be white imo)

you guys have so much talent :(

JCX

I'm trying to customize my phone with Launcher pro, but I'm having trouble finding the preferences menu so I can load my facebook and twitter accounts.

Zeppu

JCX said:
I'm trying to customize my phone with Launcher pro, but I'm having trouble finding the preferences menu so I can load my facebook and twitter accounts.

on homescreen, press menu button.

WoodWERD

Are there any good tutorials out there for learning the framework and how to do this stuff? I'm on a rooted Samsung Moment with 2.1...just can't find any good reads for theming/tweaking on sdx-developers forums.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
josephdebono said:
nice! Looks fucken awesome (except the center bottom button which should be white imo)

you guys have so much talent :(
I tried that, but I felt it needed come contrast.

Here's my phone now...

left.jpg
home.jpg
right.jpg

I'm need to make text icons for the rest of my docks, which is why I didnt show the other 2.

I actually plan on getting rid of my droid as soon as I find a tablet that suits my needs. Waiting to see the galaxy tab 2 and motorola xoom tablet. If I can customize them like I can my droid, i'll be happy.

I can't contribute much to the discussion so far. Got my new Desire Z (G2) on Tuesday and did a bit of customization. Thank you for this awesome thread guys.

But today I stumbled across a small problem. How can I change the default email account to send emails when choosing "mail" in the people widget of launcher pro or any other place where there are contacs. It always uses my dummy gmail account which I don't want to use at all but my own mail account that is set to default already.
It works perfectly fine when I first choose mail in the apps and then the account but there should be the easier way as well, shouldn't it? thx so far.

edit: found it myself, had to undefault google mail deep deep down in the settings

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
kVtEN.jpg

nothing particularly out of the ordinary, scaled back on desktop visualizer icons. launcherpro, analog clock by mjdev, circle battery widget, beautiful widgets 4x1. running nero v3 on my vibrant

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I went through like 3/4 different layouts initially, but i've been using this for over a month now and have had no desire to alter it :)

Leftscreen is my calendar but currently it's empty due to Facebook events not showing up and not being at uni for 3 weeks meant my timetable's not on it, so i didn't show that screen.
The rightscreen is SwitchPro but the last update made the icons even more transparent :/

MidScreen.png
RightScreen.png

Widgets used:
Pure Calendar (Not shown, but highly recommended)
SiMi Clock+Battstat Next to it (SiMi Alpha set to 135 to match BattStatt)
Desktop Visualizer with some Windows Mobile 7 icons That launch grouped apps (Smart Shortcuts for that).
LauncherPro+ For the dock etc etc.
SwitchPro for the rightscreen icons.

The background is a photo i took.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
I dont get how some people are doing this. I just rooted my phone, and all i know how to do is download the reg stuff on the marketplace .How are people getting there stuff to look so cool? Like the zip stuff. So I download a zip...now what?

New to android btw.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Jea Song said:
I dont get how some people are doing this. I just rooted my phone, and all i know how to do is download the reg stuff on the marketplace .How are people getting there stuff to look so cool? Like the zip stuff. So I download a zip...now what?

New to android btw.
Switchpro, Launcherpro+, beautiful widgets, simiclock, desktop visualizer. A good pack of icons, a nice wallpaper, and a lot of trial and error. :p

not sure about the "zip stuff" you refer to though.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Bad_Boy said:
Switchpro, Launcherpro+, beautiful widgets, simiclock, desktop visualizer. A good pack of icons, a nice wallpaper, and a lot of trial and error. :p

not sure about the "zip stuff" you refer to though.

I think he's talking about flashing a theme that is a zip file.

In which case, yes, themes change a number of things (notification bar, pop up boxes, possibly lockscreen sliders and tray icons) but most of the stuff is done by what Bad_Boy said.

MNC

It's crazy how just this thread makes me want to buy an Android phone ASAP :D So many crazy/beautiful stuff.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
I had an iphone 4 . Switched to android and loving the hell out of it. The only gripe that I might have with it is that it doesnt seem as fast when scrolling, pinch to zoom, and swipe type performance. Don't get me wrong, it's fast but just barely not as smooth. I have the evo 4g btw.

Working with adw righ now .... its pretty snappy but feels slightly barebones. I'm probably going back to lpp because its snappy enough and has the messaging widget which I hold very near to my heart lol. Plus no widget overlapping is no bueno.

uFbuC.jpg

jayb

Jea Song said:
I had an iphone 4 . Switched to android and loving the hell out of it. The only gripe that I might have with it is that it doesnt seem as fast when scrolling, pinch to zoom, and swipe type performance. Don't get me wrong, it's fast but just barely not as smooth. I have the evo 4g btw.

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think iphones have an extra graphics chip that makes stuff like that more smooth.

Zeppu

I seriously love your designs. Do you work in the field or something?

Want to help me design my newly purchased apartment? :D

Circle T

jayb said:
someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think iphones have an extra graphics chip that makes stuff like that more smooth.
Many high-end Android phones have very nice GPUs in them as well. The problem mainly comes from how all the different manufacturers and carriers implement the OS and all of the included software. I use a Samsung Galaxy S (Captivate), and when I first got it, bone stock it was decidedly average in speed and general "snappiness" to use. I came from an iPhone 3G, and even that older hardware (with slower CPU and no GPU) felt much better to me. Samsung's crappy Android implementation along with all the stock AT&T crapware didn't help things. But since then, I have tried many different ROMs for my phone, and using the current one (Darky 8.0.1/Speedmod Kernel) I can now see the full potential of both Android and the hardware. There isn't a hint of lag or slowness anywhere, and my battery life is about 3 times better to boot. It feels like a very modern phone, as it should.

j-wood

Where do you guys get most of your wallpapers and dock icons? Deviant Art?

I find it so hard to search on that site, because everything seems jumbled together...like there is no specific android section.

j-wood said:
Where do you guys get most of your wallpapers and dock icons? Deviant Art?

I find it so hard to search on that site, because everything seems jumbled together...like there is no specific android section.
1) find groups. Im part of android-customizers and we have a lot of talented people contributing wallpapers, screenshots with links to the resources, etc.

2) if you find something you like, look around that persons gallery and chances are they have other stuff you will like, so click on devwatch to auomatically get their latest work added to your feed

3) try:

Xda-forums (android theme section)
&
Macthemes for nice iconsets

Top Bottom