• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show off your Android Customizations thread

Broseybrose

Quoting for new page...

Broseybrose said:
It seems like every 5th post is a question asking if you need to be rooted to customize your Android. You absolutely do NOT have to root to do the majority of things you see in this thread.

Just search the Market for Launcher Pro, Go Launcher, or ADW Launcher. Install one of those programs and begin your customization journey. You will likely buy other apps along the way, but it all begins with a Launcher.

And the beautiful thing is you can install as many launchers and other customizing apps as you want and it wont mess with your OS. This is all COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from rooting your phone and installing a custom ROM.

Just started doing some customizations on my HTC Incredible. I am by no means amazing at it and steal lots of ideas from everything I see. It is, however, incredibly fun and time consuming (sometimes frustrating) to get everything just right is very satisfying. My only work so far is my lockscreen:

Gj0Sv.png

WidgetLocker
Missed It!
Minimalistic Text
Background

I would love some thoughts/critiques of it.

Threi

notag
what i've figured out day one about android customization:
dvEhD.jpg

VwHVd.jpg

Apparently 2.2 improves performance so i may root my old magic for it and start over again.

*edit*

Day two attempt:

l5EHw.jpg
Ju12R.jpg

I stopped using widgetlocker. The default HTC sense Lockscreen works better for me.

BigFwoosh

Threi said:
I stopped using widgetlocker. The default HTC sense Lockscreen works better for me.
I've had mixed results with Widgetlocker on my Droid. Sometimes it works fine, and sometimes it'll show my normal lockscreen for a second or two before it shows Widgetlocker. I think it's probably a memory issue for phones with low RAM.

Threi

notag
BigFwoosh said:
I've had mixed results with Widgetlocker on my Droid. Sometimes it works fine, and sometimes it'll show my normal lockscreen for a second or two before it shows Widgetlocker. I think it's probably a memory issue for phones with low RAM.
yup that has happened to me as well.

I like the Zimly media player lockscreen the most aesthetically, but it's not something you can enable by default.

*edit*

oh the wallpapers:
first one is here
second one is here
third one was a modified wallpaper included in this package

also, is it just HTC Magic (yes i know it's old as hell) phones or does grey show up with a heavy blue tint on the phone screen? Those screens are a LOT bluer on the actual phone screen than on a computer monitor.

soul

main screen (middle)
2n03thz.png

right screen (touching MUSIC will turn on the music player)
2u619jt.png

and the left side, no ideas for this one at the moment
2v3se4m.png

running 2.3.4 rooted with the Galaxian kernel and the V6 supercharger, filesystem has been converted to ext4. my Galaxy S is superfast with these, really recommended!

things running:
- LauncherPro Plus (removing the notification bar is the best thing ever!)
- SiMi Clock
- Missed It!
- Minimalistic Text

Threi said:
day 3:

bPJir.jpg
CaLOj.jpg
fTsSi.jpg

this is kinda addicting :/
Please Threi can you tell me where did you found this and what apps are you using, another thing, sorry for asking such a dumb question but do I need to have the phone rooted for that theme to work on my samsung nexus s?

Circle T

My new gaming addiction has spawned a new setup. Still keeping things pretty minimal though....

Droid Charge
ADW Launcher EX
WidgetLocker
Beautiful Widgets
Minimalist Text
AiX Weather

Left Screen - Right Screen
sAX6Z.png
9eWe0.png

Lock Screen
gMqne.png

Finally gave up on Motorola for providing non bloated and crappy updates. Switched to Cyanogenmod 7 on my droid x.

If anyone is still running on the stock Droid x firmware, I suggest switching...it's like night and day!

6IyGT.png

AndyD

aka andydumi
RdN said:
Anyone knows the name of this weather app?

I think beautiful widgets has a small weather forecast liek that. With customizeable theme and icons.

Just checked. Its the Weather 4x1 widget in Beautiful Widgets. And the skin looks like brushedinkwhite.

Malo

Banned
AndyD said:
I think beautiful widgets has a small weather forecast liek that. With customizeable theme and icons.

Just checked. Its the Weather 4x1 widget in Beautiful Widgets. And the skin looks like brushedinkwhite.
Yes it is.

Threi

notag
retroBrand said:
What music application are you using?
Uh that one is the widget for Zimly.

*edit* seriously, why is the tint on my phone so blue? Is it defective or something? I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't start taking screenshots, but its actually pretty bad:

KYsUpl.jpg

RGyjHl.jpg

avHtrl.jpg

DXPett1

Threi said:

*edit* seriously, why is the tint on my phone so blue? Is it defective or something? I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't start taking screenshots, but its actually pretty bad:

http://i.imgur.com/KYsUpl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RGyjHl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/avHtrl.jpg

You're rocking a Nexus S right?

There were all kinds of documented cases when the NS arrived about the distorted color. IIRC Google claimed its more real
and everyone else is wrong?

Anyone with a Tbolt having issues getting LPP to stay as the default? I am constantly asked if I want Sense or LPP to be set as my default when pressing home out of a number of apps (sense apps, and 3rd party apps alike). Not trying to hi-jack the thread, I was going to post my LPP setup, but, with the default trouble I decided to uninstall LPP until I can get this situated properly.

r1chard

Threi said:

KYsUpl.jpg

RGyjHl.jpg

avHtrl.jpg
Looks like a Nexus S. The blue OLEDs have a significantly lower lifespan so the screen is tinted towards blue to compensate.

Threi

notag
well every other screenshot i've seen of a magic on stock sense seems the same (blue tint on sense ui elements even though it should be grey) so i guess it's normal.

Hieberrr

tel4U.jpg

MIUI Galnet Chameleon RC2
ScoreMobile FC Widget
MIUI 2x4 Clock Widget (It's a proprietary MIUI clock, but there are themes for mClock I believe that are similar to this)
Simple Clock Widget

MNC

Guys, any idea if you can purchase something from the appstore without a creditcard? Wanna buy Widgetlocker + LPP, but hardly anyone in the netherlands has a creditcard (including me)

There are some awesome themes here, congrats !

I'd like to ask, I really want an iPhone-like "unlock" bar which displays the keypad to unlock the phone, do you need to root the phone in order to do that ? What application do you use ? Thanks.

soul

Tribes of Trusty said:
There are some awesome themes here, congrats !

I'd like to ask, I really want an iPhone-like "unlock" bar which displays the keypad to unlock the phone, do you need to root the phone in order to do that ? What application do you use ? Thanks.

You can use WidgetLocker Lockscreen app, costs hardly anything, takes about 1 minute to configure. There are more options with a rooted device but it's possible to obtain the Iphone look and feel.

rc213

Decided to mess around with GoLauncher and liked the results so I kept it. Been using it for a week and loving it.

tukFD.jpg
onHg7.jpg
KdQ7v.jpg

Top Bottom