• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show off your Android Customizations thread

Chopper

I've just recently discovered launchers, and am enjoying customizing my S2, but have a few questions for those experts among us. I'm unrooted.

I'm using ADW, as I'm trying not to use my (shit) pc, and it is better supported on the Android Market than LauncherPro. Can everything be accomplished with just my phone, or should I be downloading packs (from DeiantArt or wherever) with my PC?

Is it possible to change the appearance of my dock using ADW?

Why don't those icon packs I have downloaded from the Market show up when I'm trying to change the appearance of my SimiFolder icons?

I'm using the Minimalist White ADW theme from the Market, and the icons in my dock appear to be glitched. I don't know if the problem is the theme, ADW, or my phone model. Is this a common issue?

How do I change individual icons in LauncherPro?
Edit: SimiFolders won't sit in my dock, because it's a widget. :(
How can I change the icon of Regular folders?

Sorry. Quoted for a new page. Anyone got any ideas for a noob?

Threi

notag
Serenade said:
And then i realized that go launcher ex doesn't display unread text messages on the sms dock icon but the other two do! Woe is me
I'm pretty sure it does, you just have to download Go Notifier...unless I am reading this wrong.

Anyways got a new phone (well not "cutting edge" new but more than good enough for me - A Samsung Galaxy S Infuse 4G) so here is my new homescreen:

left screen
i8PlaTuA1wLir.png

home screen
i3W4LtUgyx7Un.png

right screen
iblDIxQ1xNA937.png

lockscreen
i8Z32hLfIvQJY.png

music player (ubermusic)
ijCER4zfHWZmT.png

Chopper

Threi said:
I'm pretty sure it does, you just have to download Go Notifier...unless I am reading this wrong.

Anyways got a new phone (well not "cutting edge" new but more than good enough for me - A Samsung Galaxy S Infuse 4G) so here is my new homescreen:

left screen
i8PlaTuA1wLir.png

home screen
i3W4LtUgyx7Un.png

right screen
iblDIxQ1xNA937.png

lockscreen
i8Z32hLfIvQJY.png

music player (ubermusic)
ijCER4zfHWZmT.png
What launcher do you use? Where do you get those icons?!

equap

Banned
abunai said:
shot_0000052846.png
shot_000001nkza.png

desire z running bulletproof miui w/ aelous hd theme; patched with extended miui options; vexillum project icons and wallpapers from fiftyfootshadows.
where can i get these? and will they work with the Nexus One? i'm about to install 1.10.28...

Threi

notag
GO Launcher runs smoother, has more (and easier) options for changing icons, and just overall better supported. The only thing I would say I miss from LauncherPro are the widgets it comes with, because they have better skins than GO Launcher's widgets. That is a minor annoyance though, I can live with it.

To get the icons working you just load all the .png files to your phone, long-press an icon, and replace it with whichever one you want.

Chopper

Okay. Been playing all day, this is exhausting.

Lock Screen:
WewSK.jpg

WidgetLocker
Me and my woman.
Simi Clock
Flashlight widget

Home Screen:
yQmwU.jpg

Go Launcher EX
Awesome Tom Waits art from DeviantArt
Icons from Droidicon
Minimalistic Text Clock
Circle Battery Widget
Two of the icons in my dock are shortcuts to Simi Folders containing media and web-based apps.

Shame this thread's a bit dead nowadays, but customizing your Android is awesome!

Ydahs

Some great designs have inspired my to tweak my design a bit.

Any good music widgets? Something minimalist, also displaying the album art.

Chopper

Threi said:
To get the icons working you just load all the .png files to your phone, long-press an icon, and replace it with whichever one you want.
Hey man. This isn't working. I have an S2, I download the zip file, extract it to my "download" folder, where the rest of the icons I've downloaded with Droidicon are, and they don't show up. In fact, .png files don't seem to show up at all. Only .ico. :(

Threi

notag
Chopper said:
Hey man. This isn't working. I have an S2, I download the zip file, extract it to my "download" folder, where the rest of the icons I've downloaded with Droidicon are, and they don't show up. In fact, .png files don't seem to show up at all. Only .ico. :(
That's odd...you are using GO Launcher, right? When I was talking about changing icons i was referring to GO Launcher. I don't know if touchwiz supports icon changes. Another thing, I also use Quickpic instead of the gallery app, it works a lot faster.

Chopper

Threi said:
That's odd...you are using GO Launcher, right? When I was talking about changing icons i was referring to GO Launcher. I don't know if touchwiz supports icon changes. Another thing, I also use Quickpic instead of the gallery app, it works a lot faster.
I am using the Go Launcher. You're right, it's by far the best I've tried. The other icons I am using appear to be .ico files too. My phone does not appear to recognize .png files! What is the difference? The unzipped folder (containing everything) is sat in the same folder (downloads) that the majority of my icons are in. Nothing related to the folder appears in the Gallery. I'll try the app you suggested and see if it makes a difference.

Edit: Yup. Quickpic sees them. Brilliant, thankyou! How weird...

Edit 2: How can I save customization settings, so that I can do another one and come back to it later? I've backed up what I've done, but can't seem to find the save so I can copy it.

Also, most of the docks I've got from Droidicon do not stretch across the width of my phone. Presumably this is a compatibility issue with my S2. How can I be sure a dock is appropriate for my phone? Does anyone have any good ones?!

Threi

notag
I'm not too sure where GO Launcher saves the customization settings, I assume its somewhere in the data folder for it on the SD card.

As for dock sizes, its kinda weird but they do work. If you choose the "No Crop" option they will wind up being too small, you have to expand the cropping rectangle to max and then use that, it will then take up the entire dock area.

*edit* changed some stuff, not much though so I don't want to flood the thread with images again: http://min.us/mbdXsW0DRw

Fatalah

I forgot how to get Apple Touch bookmark icons working for my home screens.

I used to have big beautiful icons:

apple-touch-icon.png

Not red flags with tiny favicons:
android-bookmark-sc-2-400h.png

My shortcuts for Secondapps-NeoGAF and Google News used to sport great big Apple Touch icons. Some help?

Chopper

RJNavarrete said:
Shameless self-plug incoming.

Skwared Iconset.

skwared__iconset__by_rjnavarrete-d35qy56.png

Vol 1, which is mostly basics: http://rjnavarrete.deviantart.com/art/skwared-iconset-191053914

skwared_vol__2_by_rjnavarrete-d4enw72.png

Vol 2, which has supplementary apps: http://rjnavarrete.deviantart.com/art/SKWARED-Vol-2-266494142

If you have any requests, let me know :)
It is evident that you have some serious customization skills. Do you actually do requests? Cos I have an idea...

LFTf6.jpg

This is my homepage. I'm very proud of it. The four icons in my dock, surrounding my App Drawer, are shortcuts to SimiFolders that look very sweet opening from the bottom. The SMS icon is a re-skinned unread notification widget. Very handy, as I don't use my notification bar. I love it, and the icons are an amazing color. But they're not very appropriate for Tom Waits. Ideally what I wanted was text-based icons in a font like this:

LgReU.jpg

Or this:

5Uhsi.jpg

A handwritten scrawl, either in a similar yellow, or in black on a similar background. People, Web, Tools, Media, that sort of thing. What do you think?

There is a dock I saw on Droidicon comprised of wrinkled yellow paper that I thought would be an ideal host for these icons, but it doesn't look quite right. I just can't get it to stretch to the very edge of the screen, to the effect optimal. So I think a yellow font on a dark background.

Also, a random question. I use Widgetlocker, and one of the shortcuts on my circular slider is for SMS. However, when I get an unread text message, there is no notification on the icon to tell me so. I noticed in screenshots that some people have such a notification. How?

Jeels

Threi said:

left screen
i8PlaTuA1wLir.png

home screen
i3W4LtUgyx7Un.png

right screen
iblDIxQ1xNA937.png

lockscreen
i8Z32hLfIvQJY.png

music player (ubermusic)
ijCER4zfHWZmT.png

Zomg. Please tell me every step i need to take to get my lockscreen like yours

Leunam

Is anyone having trouble with LauncherPro? I had a setup that I really liked but it started force closing on me constantly.

Threi

notag
Jeels said:
Zomg. Please tell me every step i need to take to get my lockscreen like yours
Step 1: Buy a Samsung Galaxy phone
it's the stock lockscreen, i don't like widgetlocker at all :p

Chopper

Sorry for the double post, but does anyone know where fonts are saved? I downloaded a Flipfont off the market, and it changed the font of my widgets, as well as my menus. In order to change the font for the widget (Minimalistic Text) back, I need to find a directory containing the fonts I have installed. But I can't find them anywhere. What are the best ways to download, install and control fonts? Presumably I'm not actually limited to those on the Android Market.

Also, speaking of the Market, if a search for, say, "Flipfont" comes back with 401-odd results, how can I see them all? The page stops scrolling well before 400.

My modest contribution. Wallpaper from the Library of Congress Images thread on tis very forum.

4o2wX.png

I'm using Cyanogenmod on a Thunderbolt. ANybody know how to get the Alarm icon to go away? Since I use this as my alarm clock, an alarm will always be set and that icon is useless to me.

I'm using the ADW launcher, and I've removed the dock completely. I swipe up for phone and down to open the app drawer.

Chopper

Ignatz Mouse said:
My modest contribution. Wallpaper from the Library of Congress Images thread on tis very forum.

4o2wX.png

I'm using Cyanogenmod on a Thunderbolt. ANybody know how to get the Alarm icon to go away? Since I use this as my alarm clock, an alarm will always be set and that icon is useless to me.

I'm using the ADW launcher, and I've removed the dock completely. I swipe up for phone and down to open the app drawer.
I'm almost positive that there is an option in ADW to remove the notification bar. Seeing as you use clock and battery widgets, you might as well put it to good use.

Circle T

Chopper said:
I'm almost positive that there is an option in ADW to remove the notification bar. Seeing as you use clock and battery widgets, you might as well put it to good use.
Yup...

ADW Settings --> Screen Preferences --> Hide Status Bar

I use this, along with the Hidden DockBar, using swipe gestures. Swipe Up to show/hide the DockBar, and Swipe Down to show/hide Status Bar. Works well, and keeps the home screen nice and clean.

Yes, I tried that, but I found I wanted the notification bar for the other icons. I'd like to just nuke the alarm icon itself.

I could have sworn I did this on Cyangongen/ADW on my Nexus One, but cannot find the option now.

Well, I'll try it and see if I like it.

Threi

notag
SiMi clock is overused as hell but...it works so well. No other clock app looks that good, is that light on memory, and is free. Tried almost every alternative and keep going back to it.

Anyways changed my wallpaper mostly, went to a darker wallpaper to try to conserve some battery life:
ibfkseYzcPj1jb.png
imx4n4v1amBti.png
ibaSayT39S1kIe.png

Krauser Kat said:
Can ADW lock the screen so it does not scroll left to right. picture wise, not the icons.
should be in there.

Menu > more > adwsettings > screen preferences > untick "wallpaper scrolling"

Yeah, simiClock is great. Minimal and clean looking.

I don't mind if it's all over the place as long as it looks good-- I'm not going for individuality as much as low-clutter/good performance.

This is kind of urgent... my phone (HTC Desire CDMA running Cyanogen 7) fucked up and won't boot anymore (causing my to restore to a back up that I saved when I first flashed Cyanogen... causing me to lose everything) and now my phone can't receive text messages (only send). I'm going to update to the newest version of Cyanogen, but if that doesn't work I need to find another ROM.

Can anyone just give me a run down on what are good ROMs to flash... and most importantly how to tell if its a Sense ROM (I heard Sense ROMs don't have problem). I feel like I'm not looking in the right places and some advice would really really help me out.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Threi said:
SiMi clock is overused as hell but...it works so well. No other clock app looks that good, is that light on memory, and is free. Tried almost every alternative and keep going back to it.

ibfkseYzcPj1jb.png

Where can I get these dock icons?

Chopper

Ignatz Mouse said:
I need to make some replacement simiFolder icons that look like the circle around the battery widget in simiClock.
Instead of assigning a Simi Folder to your homescreen, assign a shortcut to the Simi Folder in question. You are then able to change the "shortcut's" icon to whatever you want, and it works in exactly the same way. All four of the icons in my dock surrounding my app drawer button are Simi Folders shortcuts:

RstVJ.jpg

I can just change the simi icons themselves with no trouble. I like being dock-free.

Here's what it looks like now:

XZqEF.png

I'm considering nuking the @ icon, as I usually just use contacts from the phone app. But I like the symmetry.

Top Bottom