• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show off your Android Customizations thread

abunai

shot_0000052846.png
shot_000001nkza.png

desire z running bulletproof miui w/ aelous hd theme; patched with extended miui options; vexillum project icons and wallpapers from fiftyfootshadows.

panda21

is there any way to change your launcherpro dock icons to the app icons? i mean like the icons that would display in the drawer?

i hate the design of them and i downloaded some icon packs, but they only change the drawer/desktop icons, not the dock icons.

SRG01

A couple of questions:

Where did you guys get the customized lockscreen sliders? And any recommendations on paid apps?

abunai

panda21 said:
is there any way to change your launcherpro dock icons to the app icons? i mean like the icons that would display in the drawer?

i hate the design of them and i downloaded some icon packs, but they only change the drawer/desktop icons, not the dock icons.
I believe you can, but it would most likely require pulling the apps .apk through ADB and editing files manually in photoshop, resigning the apk and pushing it back over ADB. I havent tried it with the main icons but i have done some apk modding of in-app images etc

edit: i might have majorly misread your post due to tired. if you just want to edit the icon in the LP dock on your homescreen, delete the current icon and add a new shortcut, there should be an option to pick a custom icon somewhere - its been a while since i used LP.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
panda21 said:

Yes, there's a trick to it.

1. Longpress the icon in the dock
2. Change icon shortcut
3. Select Application then choose the app you want it to be (say if you already have the camera or dialer for that dock icon, select the app anyway)
4. Then select Default Icon

Done

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Ace_235 said:
Can this mess my phone up? I wanna try it but i dont wanna break my phone.

If you mean rooting and throwing a custom ROM on it like MIUI or CM7 then yes it can mess up your phone, but its highly unlikely.

If you go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/ then go to the forum for you specific phone and following the exact guidelines there should almost zero chance of you breaking your phone. Most phones have a one click solution to rooting the phone which will do all the dirty work for you without worry. Then flashing a custom ROM is easy a pie.

But if you just mean using a custom launcher like Go Launcher or ADW, and even Widgetlocker, then you dont need to even need root and your phone will be totally fine.

Ashhong

abunai said:
shot_000001nkza.png

desire z running bulletproof miui w/ aelous hd theme; patched with extended miui options; vexillum project icons and wallpapers from fiftyfootshadows.

What folders program is this? What is the best folder organizer app program out there? And is there anything that works like iPhone where I can just drag from the app drawer onto the folder on the homescreen?

Or better yet, are there any folder apps that will automatically find all the "game" apps on my phone and put it in a folder?

Cipherr

Ace_235 said:
Can this mess my phone up? I wanna try it but i dont wanna break my phone.

You can do most of what you are seeing in this thread as far as the looks without bothering to root. There are some that will require it, but most of it is just using launcher apps. Customizing your phone like this is very addicting, set aside some time, once you start changing things around its difficult to stop.

Cruceh said:

Jesus, they have already got a Windows 7 UI ported and up and running? They waste so little time getting this stuff, its kind of amazing.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Ashhong said:
What folders program is this? What is the best folder organizer app program out there? And is there anything that works like iPhone where I can just drag from the app drawer onto the folder on the homescreen?

Or better yet, are there any folder apps that will automatically find all the "game" apps on my phone and put it in a folder?

Those are the MIUI app folders, MIUI ROM has no app drawer so all your apps have to either be on a screen or in a folder, but you can also place folders in the dock, sadly though you cant have folders in a folder.

Other than that I have no idea what the best folder app is. Go Launcher also has a really nice folder system, but it doesnt auto sort your stuff like the iPhone. Im pretty sure youll have to auto sort your apps no matter what folder app, rom or launcher you use.

zedge

Cipherr said:
Jesus, they have already got a Windows 7 UI ported and up and running? They waste so little time getting this stuff, its kind of amazing.

Its just a launcher like launcher pro etc. Been around for a while.

Xtyle

Got an android phone now (Galaxy s2). Started playing with widgetlocker.
Got a question. Is there anyway I can save my lockscreen theme, including wallpaper, apps/widgets, position, size...etc, so I can easily go back to another theme saved.

kehs

Banned
Cipherr said:

There's actually a group of devs replicating the people/music/phone hubs:

http://wp7android.com/#2

That launcher is different that the one posted earlier though

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Ive done it again. Changed my setup once more. Still rocking MIUI by MrGarak and XAviierG. Using the White Zangetsu v2 Lockscreen, Placid HD Icons, Glass Widgets for the Weather & Time along with Phantom Music Controls which is fantastic and fades away when not in use. Still then using Pulse and Simple Calender on the other screen. Lockscreen background is Full Moon 2 and wallpaper is Local Rain 13 both off of Zedge app. Font is whatever the font is from the MIUI theme Claire.

Jshb9.jpg
9MUiU.jpg

JgiCY.jpg
BLfHJ.jpg

GkFu5.jpg

I would literally go nuts if someone were to make a live background version of this Local Rain wallpaper.

Jeff-DSA

Well, I thought I'd give this a go. Wallpaper is placeholder, but I kinda like it. Need to do a few more tweaks still.

Lock
Lock.png

From Left to Center (home) to Right 1 to Right 2

Left.png

Home.png

Right1.png

Right2.png

Can't believe I never got into this before. Seems like it'll be tons of fun.

beje

Banned
I love keeping it simple:

TjLrT.jpg
iIzXU.jpg

Using Go Launcher EX default theme, Go Calendar Widget and Go Google Search Widget, with the transparent theme. Random wallpaper I've been using for months and never bothered to change.

weeneo

Neo Member
m7mbt.png
83uni.png

my final homescreen :)

it's a motorola droid(milestone), cm7, adw launcher, simi clock and icons from adw minimal text theme :)

luiztfc

Now I want to upgrade to an Android based phone (I have a Bold 9700 btw). If I buy a Galaxy S II, will I be able to do this stuff? I read somewhere that Samsung has its own version of Android.

Cipherr

luiztfc said:
Now I want to upgrade to an Android based phone (I have a Bold 9700 btw). If I buy a Galaxy S II, will I be able to do this stuff? I read somewhere that Samsung has its own version of Android.

All phone manufacturers do, its not a different version of Android, its like....window dressings. HTC, LG, Samsung, Motorola, they all dress their phones up with UI's and the like that they created, to try and establish sort of a brand for themselves.

As Android is free and open, they all dont want to just ship the vanilla UI, they want to create their own to differentiate their phones from the others selling Android phones, and hopefully some customers will like their specific window dressings enough to buy ONLY that manufacturers Android phones in the future (even though all of the Android phones are running the same OS underneath).

To answer your question, yes you will be able to do all of the things in this thread very easily.

luiztfc

Cipherr said:
All phone manufacturers do, its not a different version of Android, its like....window dressings. HTC, LG, Samsung, Motorola, they all dress their phones up with UI's and the like that they created, to try and establish sort of a brand for themselves.

As Android is free and open, they all dont want to just ship the vanilla UI, they want to create their own to differentiate their phones from the others selling Android phones, and hopefully some customers will like their specific window dressings enough to buy ONLY that manufacturers Android phones in the future (even though all of the Android phones are running the same OS underneath).

To answer your question, yes you will be able to do all of the things in this thread very easily.

Thanks for the answer. I was under the impression that only Samsung had a different version.

ty_hot

guys, is there any Music app widget that is transparent?

i was using UberMusic (which has a transparent widget, the only things visible are the music controls), but i just installed the leaked Music 4.0.1 (ICS version), and it is just beautiful, i want it to be my default player, but I need a minimalist widget, speciall one with a 'play/pause and next and previous songs buttons.

Circle T

ty_hot said:
guys, is there any Music app widget that is transparent?

i was using UberMusic (which has a transparent widget, the only things visible are the music controls), but i just installed the leaked Music 4.0.1 (ICS version), and it is just beautiful, i want it to be my default player, but I need a minimalist widget, speciall one with a 'play/pause and next and previous songs buttons.
Ask and you shall receive, care of the "Transparent Widget" thread at XDA....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=18216905&postcount=2015

Kwixotik

Where do you guys get your backgrounds? I love half of them posted here and hate my own, but I can't find anything to replace it.

Linkhero1

Jeff-DSA said:
Well, I thought I'd give this a go. Wallpaper is placeholder, but I kinda like it. Need to do a few more tweaks still.

Lock
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/jar155/Lock.png[IMG]

[b]From Left to Center (home) to Right 1 to Right 2[/b]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/jar155/Left.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/jar155/Home.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/jar155/Right1.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/jar155/Right2.png[IMG]

Can't believe I never got into this before. Seems like it'll be tons of fun.[/QUOTE]
Where can I find that Wallpaper?

Kwixotik

How easy is it to unroot your phone in the event that I need to take advantage of my warranty?

I guess I could just stomp on it, as I've got accident protection, but I'd rather not do that.

ty_hot

Zombie James said:
XDA forums. Or you could use MarketEnabler to change your region. The Netflix app works perfectly with the Canadian service.

I tried Market Enabler but Netflix still dont apear in there because it probably thinks it doesnt work with my device, but i wanted to give it a try to be sure it doesnt.

i'll look at xda, thanks

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm trying to use Go Launcher EX and when i change gesture response for the dock to the selection of my choosing, the dock icon shortcut reverts back to the default. How do I get my selections to stay in place?

bolbronx

Kwixotik said:
How easy is it to unroot your phone in the event that I need to take advantage of my warranty?

I guess I could just stomp on it, as I've got accident protection, but I'd rather not do that.

You just install a correct regional stock firmware

notsol337

marked forever
ShallNoiseUpon said:
Just started doing some customizations on my HTC Incredible. I am by no means amazing at it and steal lots of ideas from everything I see. It is, however, incredibly fun and time consuming (sometimes frustrating) to get everything just right is very satisfying. My only work so far is my lockscreen:

Gj0Sv.png

WidgetLocker
Missed It!
Minimalistic Text
Background

I would love some thoughts/critiques of it.

What's the theme for the unlock slider here? I just got the app, and I waaaaant it! :D

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
notsol337 said:
What's the theme for the unlock slider here? I just got the app, and I waaaaant it! :D

I have seen it before, but not sure where at. In any case check the link below.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=968613

Scroll down to the second post, a bunch of links to sliders. "Arrow slider", under page 2 section. It might be that one.

Anyone know the name of widget clock that displays the time, date and the week, with the current day being highlighted?

Yi2kT.png

Pretty basic and clean right now.

Open to suggestions for what to do with the blank row in between my icons and the clock.

I love minimalist homescreens that a lot of you guys have shown on here, but I find it hard to compromise that with not having easy access to my most used apps. How do you guys do it?

Circle T

peppermints said:
I love minimalist homescreens that a lot of you guys have shown on here, but I find it hard to compromise that with not having easy access to my most used apps. How do you guys do it?
You could always set up SiMi Folder as a simple quick access for apps. I did that on an old setup using the swipe gestures in Launcher Pro. Tapping on the App Drawer button opened it up like always, but if you swiped up on it, it opened my SiMi Folder where I put my frequent apps. Worked well for keeping quick access to things, while also keeping things nice and minimal.....

4bDS0.png
MrOI0.png

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
home screen:
16yc4.png
LM8E4.png
Wp8GD.png

Doubletwist for music widget as well as simiclock, simiweather, and the circle battery widget.

Had some trouble with the dock icons. Drove through adw launcher, launcher pro, and finally go launcher ex (which is what it's using now) before I found settings that let me manually resize the the dock icons so that they aren't as small as they appear in the other two launchers.

And then i realized that go launcher ex doesn't display unread text messages on the sms dock icon but the other two do! Woe is me

Ferrio

Banned
Thought i'd post what I've been workign with. Still getting used to my new phone (first android phone... galaxy S2). Here's what i got for lockscreen so far.

9zlulz.png

Mr.Fresh

Serenade said:
home screen:
16yc4.png
LM8E4.png
Wp8GD.png

Doubletwist for music widget as well as simiclock, simiweather, and the circle battery widget.

Had some trouble with the dock icons. Drove through adw launcher, launcher pro, and finally go launcher ex (which is what it's using now) before I found settings that let me manually resize the the dock icons so that they aren't as small as they appear in the other two launchers.

And then i realized that go launcher ex doesn't display unread text messages on the sms dock icon but the other two do! Woe is me
You mind telling me the source of you background?

Blackhead

Redarse
Has anyone started making or collecting high-res icons and backgrounds for the inevitable Galaxy Nexus themes? I'm thinking of stealing sets from OSX themes 0_o

Chopper

I've just recently discovered launchers, and am enjoying customizing my S2, but have a few questions for those experts among us. I'm unrooted.

I'm using ADW, as I'm trying not to use my (shit) pc, and it is better supported on the Android Market than LauncherPro. Can everything be accomplished with just my phone, or should I be downloading packs (from DeiantArt or wherever) with my PC?

Is it possible to change the appearance of my dock using ADW?

Why don't those icon packs I have downloaded from the Market show up when I'm trying to change the appearance of my SimiFolder icons?

I'm using the Minimalist White ADW theme from the Market, and the icons in my dock appear to be glitched. I don't know if the problem is the theme, ADW, or my phone model. Is this a common issue?

How do I change individual icons in LauncherPro?
Edit: SimiFolders won't sit in my dock, because it's a widget. :(
How can I change the icon of Regular folders?

Top Bottom