• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show off your Android Customizations thread

Pacbois

Is the font the only thing there you needed the root for?

Also, what is the best way to have multiple customization jobs that you can switch between? I mean, I want to overhaul my current setup, but would like the option to come back to it. As far as I can tell, I can only backup one set of settings at a time.

The font is only applied to the launcher so no root required but it's only on the homescreen. Apparently you can't change the system font on the Legend... But there are some apps to change fonts for most of the rooted phones.

I rooted my phone for Gingerbread, battery performance and CPU Overclocking (Passed the Desire on Quadrant, soooo good :D )

lcs77180

Neo Member
Edit: I'm not sure why the images won't load. If you right click and open in new tab, it seems to work.

This is my first attempt at customizations. I've got a Samsung Galaxy Ace from Koodo, running on Gingerbread, and not rooted.

Lock Screen

device20111231071629.png

Main Screen

device20111231071344.png

All my screens

device20111231071549.png

device20111231071534.png

device20111231071521.png

device20111231071513.png

Wallpaper

lbpip.jpg

Resources Used:
  • ADW Launcher EX
  • Beautiful Widgets
  • Widget Locker
  • SiMi Folder
  • Agenda Widget+
  • PowerAMP (Full)

Blackhead

Redarse
Where do I learn how to create my own themes or mix&match existing themes (locations of graphics files ,key settings etc)? I'm especially interested in modding the status bar...

Emily Chu

Banned
Lockscreen
9V1vi.png

Main Screen
N15D5.png

2nd Screen
EEfQY.png

3rd Screen
r8TDg.png

4th Screen
9ClSu.png

Resources
statusbar+
Launcher Pro unlocked
Custom ICS Search
Android Weather
Free Power widget
Android Overclock - Set LCD density to 160
Solid Black Wallpaper

gingerbread 2.3.7

CM7 latest nightly Droid X with 160 LCD density Hack

looks cluttery but highly functional as fuck

After a lot of time spent, I got the minimalistic look I wanted (still not happy with wallpaper and some other stuff)

CM7 with JAMT Flat Bçack Theme
ADW Launcher EX with Minimal Black Theme (the iconpack is from this theme)
SiMi Clock, Battery and Weather widgets
Phantom Control for music control (linked to PowerAMP)

Many of the icons are folders. I'm still having a issue on ADW where the icon's names appear black on the black background of the folders, looks terrible.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
My OG Droid:
ibcDE9n9MBsQIA.jpg
iisel0mv0QhNV.jpg
i0kPQhcYcbCb3.jpg

My Transformer Prime:
ibyoCuyWVaA2AQ.jpg

i09VdlBuMaRwN.jpg

Still working on getting the rest of my Prime pages to match my phone (or look similar).

MNC

There is, you have to put each day on a different line. A little bit extra work but possible.

I looked around minimalistic text for a bit, damn that's alot of customization options. really good. but how did you get the day of the week to be bolded? does it do that automatically?

Threi

notag
I looked around minimalistic text for a bit, damn that's alot of customization options. really good. but how did you get the day of the week to be bolded? does it do that automatically?

Does it automatically. Changes it from "normal" state to "accented" state. You can change the font, size, etc of the accented state in the preferences.

How mine looks right now (dialed it back a bit)

http://i.minus.com/ib1mOWRy2qZMYC.png
http://i.minus.com/ibtGn9eyG0HJdy.png
http://i.minus.com/ibuoXWu8coZQLN.png
http://i.minus.com/iQHmm7tN0df2x.png

Put the weather in the taskbar instead of the homescreen because it's a lot more useful there, don't have to unlock the screen to check the weather.

Threi

notag
weather widget settings > notifications options > tick "weather display"

only thing is every time you reboot the phone you have to untick and tick again, but that isn't too much of a big deal for me.

Maiar_m

Ok, thanks. You need to have the previous box ticked too, the one that ask if you want to see the temperature in the notification bar. I would have rather had the stuff in the notification drawer and nothing in the bar... That'll do though! Thanks !

MrBig

Had to rebuild all of my screens because of some sort of glitch that uninstalled some apps, here's what came out of the homescreen
home2sm.jpg

Rest of the screens are the same as before, but updated to use the real metro font instead of the stock segoe that was there by default, like the homescreen.
Also got adb working so no more terrible offscreen pics

Suairyu

Banned
Just beginning to play around with customisation now (unfortunately I'll be running anything on top of HTC Sense, I guess, but until I'm 100% sure I won't be rooting) and have a quick query - ADW free or EX? What are the major differences? Seriously, a simply google search isn't providing satisfactory answers outside of people stating their preference.

Or is Launcher Pro even better? I have no idea where to go.

Chopper

Just beginning to play around with customisation now (unfortunately I'll be running anything on top of HTC Sense, I guess, but until I'm 100% sure I won't be rooting) and have a quick query - ADW free or EX? What are the major differences? Seriously, a simply google search isn't providing satisfactory answers outside of people stating their preference.

Or is Launcher Pro even better? I have no idea where to go.
I don't know what ADW EX is. Are you thinking of Go Launcher EX?

I use Go Laucher EX, and it's awesome. There are updates for it every week or so, and it's fully featured and comprehensive as fuck. ADW is my second favourite, and is what I go to when I want to remove the dockbar, which is a feature that doesn't seem possible with Go unless I am missing something.

My advice: Download both, and use Home Switcher to easily switch between them. I cannot recommend Launcher Pro. I found it limited and harder to use than these two.

Threi

notag
ADW and ADW EX are built on the same code, EX has a bunch more options though (for example the ICS-style folders). Regular ADW is a bit more barebones.

The two best android-style launchers out right now IMO are ADW EX and Go Launcher EX. Go launcher has more features than ADW EX, but uses slightly more memory.

LauncherPro was a good launcher, but development halted for it (the auther went MIA and left his two apps LauncherPro and UberMusic for dead), and thus ADW and Go Launcher got updated and better while LauncherPro stayed the same. Not worth using it nowadays IMO.

Zeam is for people who are anal about their memory usage. The "i use task killers religiously" type of people. Not to say its not a snappy little launcher, but personally i feel its lack of customization outweighs its small memory footprint. It's not like the alternatives are bloated pieces of shit anyways, on a modern phone (and even older phones) in actual use you cannot see the benefit of it vs more feature-filled launchers.

Does it automatically. Changes it from "normal" state to "accented" state. You can change the font, size, etc of the accented state in the preferences.

How mine looks right now (dialed it back a bit)

iQHmm7tN0df2x.png

Put the weather in the taskbar instead of the homescreen because it's a lot more useful there, don't have to unlock the screen to check the weather.

I really like those toggles in the notification bar. Is that a feature of a custom rom? or can you do that with a stock rom?

Threi

notag
I really like those toggles in the notification bar. Is that a feature of a custom rom? or can you do that with a stock rom?

Its one of the reasons I stuck with the stock samsung firmware. On custom roms its whether or not the auther feels like putting them in.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Lock Screen said:

Home screen - Left said:

Home screen - Center said:

Home screen - Right said:

I haven't really spent a lot of time customizing it yet. I just rooted it, so maybe I'll play with it some more, but I'm really happy with it so far.

City at Night Live Wallpaper

Any.DO: To Do List | Task List
Mint.com Personal Finance

Beautiful Widgets
Taptu - DJ Your News
Plume for Twitter

Spotify
Pocket Casts
Audible for Android
Stock Power Control Widget

derder

Had to rebuild all of my screens because of some sort of glitch that uninstalled some apps, here's what came out of the homescreen
home2sm.jpg

Rest of the screens are the same as before, but updated to use the real metro font instead of the stock segoe that was there by default, like the homescreen.
Also got adb working so no more terrible offscreen pics

What battery widget is that?

Chopper

If I have an .mtz file containing some awesome icons, can I extract those icons to use on my unrooted phone in Go Launcher?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If I have an .mtz file containing some awesome icons, can I extract those icons to use on my unrooted phone in Go Launcher?

Yeah just change the file from .mtz to .zip and you should be able to extract it. Depending on whether its a new version of .mtz or an old one you may just have a folder saying icons and youd be all set to use that with GoLauncher. More likely youll just have a blank file with no extension saying "Icons", all you have to do is add .zip to the end of that as well and extract it to get all the icons.

Chopper

Yeah just change the file from .mtz to .zip and you should be able to extract it. Depending on whether its a new version of .mtz or an old one you may just have a folder saying icons and youd be all set to use that with GoLauncher. More likely youll just have a blank file with no extension saying "Icons", all you have to do is add .zip to the end of that as well and extract it to get all the icons.

That's fantastic, thankyou man. I thought I was gonna get stuck there.

Threi

notag
Speaking of mtz, just rooted my phone and put miui on:

Gcaa8.jpg

Still might go back to rogers stock though; bluetooth doesn't work on this rom. Hate the default MIUI launcher too, although that can be changed.

Top Bottom