• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show off your Android Customizations thread

Chopper

Thought I'd check in with my latest homescreen. To be honest, I can't take any credit for it at all. The wallpaper was created and uploaded by a guy at mycolorscreen. Still, I think it looks great!

WWPtI.jpg

Druz

Here's 2 of my homescreens. I use all 5, but these 2 screens are the only ones that I can say have never changed since I got my first Android phone. I'm a pretty big stickler for customizing the screens just right for how I use my phone, so I don't wanna show off the other ones just yet if they aren't finalized. :p

http://s18.postimage.org/lffrr737d/png.png[/.IMG]

[IMG]http://s15.postimage.org/ulxlv3rh7/png_1.png[/.IMG][/QUOTE]

What weather app is that?

Dibbz

6960528170_85f10abd9d_b.jpg

Launcher Pro
Lockscreen: Widget Locker - LS Polaris Theme
Clockr

Made all of the icons myself apart from the txt msg and mail on the homescreen.

Quick question though. Does anyone know if I can get unread notification bubbles on my shortcuts? Launcher Pro enables them from the dock only it seems.

Threi

notag
Quick question though. Does anyone know if I can get unread notification bubbles on my shortcuts? Launcher Pro enables them from the dock only it seems.

Use a different launcher like GO or ADW/ADW EX (i believe they require another extension to get it working though)

Chopper

I agree, what theme are u using? I really like the style.
No theme. It's just a pre-made wallpaper withh blank.png icons over the top. The clock at the top is Minimal Text and the toggle widgets are Switchpro. Piece of cake.

As I said though, it is not my creation. Have a browse through mycolorscreen.com to see it in its original form.

Arjen

No theme. It's just a pre-made wallpaper withh blank.png icons over the top. The clock at the top is Minimal Text and the toggle widgets are Switchpro. Piece of cake.

As I said though, it is not my creation. Have a browse through mycolorscreen.com to see it in its original form.

Sweet, thanks.

Salsa

got a Galaxy Ace, wanted a cheap but usable Android phone.

Since it isnt the fastest phone i went with Launcher Pro, wich is by far the fastest one on my celphone. Too bad about no themes, but it isnt necesarelly ugly.

anyway, barely touched it, removed as much as i could (swipe on the lower screen to bring menu with app drawer), good with simple.

ImnGn.png
fIaYH.png
hbWmU.png

kehs

Banned
I'm still loving Launcher7, they even added full widget support by swiping over to the left. I'm not using it, but it's pretty cool to have access to them since alot of them don't fit inside the tiles.

Van should feel right at home:

If you're part of the Bestest Nexus family you can do easy mockups here.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
That Metroid customisation is really something great, I wonder if I could think of a design for other games?

Also, does anyone know if there's any sort of customisation for Pandora? I use it for my main music source, but I wish there was a way I could streamline it to the lock screens controls or even just change the appearance of the widget. Anyone know?

Also anyone know if you can do lock screen notifications for Handcent? I'm using an EVO 4G and switched that from the stock message system.

ShinNL

By the way, do you guys prefer style over functionality? Like, some people have like 1 app shortcut on an entire page, so you have to scroll like crazy to get to every page. I try to put as much functionality on a screen without making it ugly or cluttered since I use my phone a lot. I really don't like performing excess gestures just so I can stare at a few pretty desktop images.

1 - 2 -3 - 4 -5 screens, 3 is the default screen.

Edit: just noticed my calendar screen has a fade-out of my volume controls. Oh well, can't be bothered to retake that one :p

maladroid

By the way, do you guys prefer style over functionality? Like, some people have like 1 app shortcut on an entire page, so you have to scroll like crazy to get to every page. I try to put as much functionality on a screen without making it ugly or cluttered since I use my phone a lot. I really don't like performing excess gestures just so I can stare at a few pretty desktop images.

Edit: just noticed my calendar screen has a fade-out of my volume controls. Oh well, can't be bothered to retake that one :p
I don't know why you can't have a balance of both. There's space for 15 shortcuts in my dock, and various widgets act as 'folders' if you tap certain areas. Every screen is only one swipe away if you only use three. I must admit that I'm not a power user, though, so it's easier for me to avoid clutter. Coming from an iPhone, I appreciate the ability to see my wallpapers instead of just folders. ^^

I have a shit android, the Optimus V and I really love some of the stuff that you guys have. I want this stuff, but can I get it?

Ideally i'd have 2 screens.

The main screen would have one-tap on/off wifi, 3g, bluetooth, sound at the top.
A calendar list widget on left side.
A 1 column, 15 row text list with shortcuts to e-mail, messages, folders, etc (with notifications) on the right side.
Possibly a Weather widget on the bottom.
On the right screen i'd just copy what the launcher 7 does I suppose.

My phone screen is too small for that, so I'd take a launcher 7 (with right screen) and an additional left screen with a calendar and weather widget like below.

ShinNL

I'm also trying to find something like a Launcher 7 app drawer as a widget, to kinda use as a glorified folder. Preferably scrollable, but I don't think this exists.

I don't know why you can't have a balance of both. There's space for 15 shortcuts in my dock, and various widgets act as 'folders' if you tap certain areas. Every screen is only one swipe away if you only use three. I must admit that I'm not a power user, though, so it's easier for me to avoid clutter. Coming from an iPhone, I appreciate the ability to see my wallpapers instead of just folders. ^^
Ah, funny, I thought widgets would be the most attractive part. SwitchPro for me is probably the most used widget with the instant-LED-flashlight + WiFi on/off. Then there's like my music player, weather and calender with just 1 swipe and my most used apps with 2 swipes. Since I didn't decorate my lock screen (even though I bought widget locker, I decided not to use it anymore), that's already my 'clean empty' screen that I can stare at if I want to.

Since I'm an ex-Xperia mini user, I fell in love in widgets once I managed to get multiple on a screen. The default launcher on mini only allows 1 widget per screen. Then I went launcher pro, now have a new phone, and ever since I tried matching widgets. Battstat + SimiClock + Simple Calendar is godlike.

I used to use these widgets to match the SimiClock:
CAP2010122016142.jpg

But almost everyone switched to WhatsApp so I actually don't use those widgets much, thus I replaced them :p (they show numbers if any are missed and are clickable)

kehs

Banned
I have a shit android, the Optimus V and I really love some of the stuff that you guys have. I want this stuff, but can I get it?

Ideally i'd have 2 screens.

The main screen would have one-tap on/off wifi, 3g, bluetooth, sound at the top.
A calendar list widget on left side.
A 1 column, 15 row text list with shortcuts to e-mail, messages, folders, etc (with notifications) on the right side.
Possibly a Weather widget on the bottom.
On the right screen i'd just copy what the launcher 7 does I suppose.

My phone screen is too small for that, so I'd take a launcher 7 (with right screen) and an additional left screen with a calendar and weather widget like below.

I'm not sure if launcher 7 supports the lower resolution screen on the opimus line, but give it a shot, there's a trial version. (trial version is usually a month behind the donate in terms of features).

If it doesn't work look into desktop visualizer. That's how alot of people get a bunch of the customization stuff done.

maladroid

Ah, funny, I thought widgets would be the most attractive part. SwitchPro for me is probably the most used widget with the instant-LED-flashlight + WiFi on/off. Then there's like my music player, weather and calender with just 1 swipe and my most used apps with 2 swipes. Since I didn't decorate my lock screen (even though I bought widget locker, I decided not to use it anymore), that's already my 'clean empty' screen that I can stare at if I want to.

Since I'm an ex-Xperia mini user, I fell in love in widgets once I managed to get multiple on a screen. The default launcher on mini only allows 1 widget per screen. Then I went launcher pro, now have a new phone, and ever since I tried matching widgets. Battstat + SimiClock + Simple Calendar is godlike.

I used to use these widgets to match the SimiClock:
CAP2010122016142.jpg

But almost everyone switched to WhatsApp so I actually don't use those widgets much, thus I replaced them :p (they show numbers if any are missed and are clickable)
Well since this is a thread dedicated to Android aesthetics, my reference to iOS only came about as a comparison in that area. Anything else would have been a non sequitur in that position, don't you think? I do appreciate not having to launch applications to gather certain kinds of information, though.

My work requires that I use a pin, so my lock screen looks like this:
Screenshot_2012-04-28-19-38-31.png

Since I can't decide the security method, I haven't really looked into customising the lock screen.

That's the beauty of Android, I guess. Everybody has different circumstances and preferences, but there's enough freedom there to let people have it the way they want. :) Will probably look into a new setup once my carrier gives SII users a proper ICS update.

pURBZ.png

Swipe down-- notifications
Swipe up-- phone

Each icon is a drawer of apps that fits on on one page (no scrolling)

Touching the clock brings up my alarm.

I almost never scroll my homepage. One screen left is my agenda, one screen right is my Google Voice calls.

Everything I use it one or two touches away. Highly functional and stylish both.

Lets me see the entirety of my wallpaper and is compatible with whatever I decide to put on it, for the most part.

maladroid

Swipe down-- notifications
Swipe up-- phone

Each icon is a drawer of apps that fits on on one page (no scrolling)

Touching the clock brings up my alarm.

I almost never scroll my homepage. One screen left is my agenda, one screen right is my Google Voice calls.

Everything I use it one or two touches away. Highly functional and stylish both.

Lets me see the entirety of my wallpaper and is compatible with whatever I decide to put on it, for the most part.
Thanks for reminding me about swipes. Will save me a lot of space. Which launcher are those actions for, specifically? I can only do it for things in the dock with the free version of Launcher Pro.

Where do people go for icons? Is there a good site that collects them, or are you guys hunting for them on deviantart?

tino

Banned
It took me a whole day to work on the Meego themes for MIUI.
In order to replace the icon you need to find the id name the Apps use in the system.
Some of the id names were a bitch to find, I had to go to a hidden system folder to find them.

I made about 30 icons on top of the current up to date Meego theme. Finally I was able to replace *every app* with a Meegorized icon.
The feeling of firing up the theme app and applying my own icons was incredible satisfying.

Here are the desktop screenshots.

MIUI is soooo smooth on a 1ghz old ass phone I think I am going to stcik with MIUI on my next phone.
The only problem I have is that I can't make a url shortcut that look exactly like the App icons.
If I make a GAF URL shortcut (with folder organizer) it will look slightly smaller and the font is different.

But everything else is so much smoother and polish than AWD Launcher, Go Launcher and Launcher Pro.

Thanks for reminding me about swipes. Will save me a lot of space. Which launcher are those actions for, specifically? I can only do it for things in the dock with the free version of Launcher Pro.

Where do people go for icons? Is there a good site that collects them, or are you guys hunting for them on deviantart?

I'm using ADW.

I don't remember where I got the icon set. It wasn't hard to find them once I started searching.

Slizz

Just started using Launcher 7 and I really like the status bar, but on my lockscreen, if I open the browser, open messaging it switches back to the original Android status bar.

Anyway to get the Launcher 7 status bar all the time?

Top Bottom