• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show off your Android Customizations thread

Salsa

lXRJR.png

changed to something painfully straightforward :p just to test how I do with it

uNysz.png
CWinU.png

who needs an app drawer!

swiping down = status bar
swiping up = dock with sms shorcut, etc
double tap = phone/contacts

ShinNL

Do you all use Desktop Visualizer for custom icons, or:

Use a different launcher like LP for example that allows you to use custom icons;
Use a custom ROM that has that option

?

My problem is that I really really like Xperia's music widget, but it only works on the Xperia launcher. So I'm forced to use Desktop Visualizer for icons, which isn't too bad: but it's not as quick as using an actual launcher that let's you customize the shortcuts by default. Sometimes it needs a tiny second to load, and when booting up you can see quite the delay with the ugly default Desktop Visualizer holder first.

3phemeral

Do you all use Desktop Visualizer for custom icons, or:

Use a different launcher like LP for example that allows you to use custom icons;
Use a custom ROM that has that option

?

My problem is that I really really like Xperia's music widget, but it only works on the Xperia launcher. So I'm forced to use Desktop Visualizer for icons, which isn't too bad: but it's not as quick as using an actual launcher that let's you customize the shortcuts by default. Sometimes it needs a tiny second to load, and when booting up you can see quite the delay with the ugly default Desktop Visualizer holder first.

Most launchers will let you change icons easily, like Nova/Go/ADW EX/LPP, but as for your xperia situation, I don't know if it's compatible with either of those.

As for actual custom icons, you can find icon packs or make your own. Once you get your xperia music player situation settled, if you decide to go for custom icons, the differences between built-in launcher custom icons and something like Desktop Visualizer is icon size and usability.

Icon size isn't a problem if you're using custom icon packs (you can use any launcher's built-in icon editor and they'll appear fine). The benefit that DV provides is that you can create icons that line up flush with other icons if you want (think Windows Metro theme), so you can control the amount of space between neighboring icons. You can essentially use the entire size of the tile for your icon.

Concerning usability, LPP and ADW (don't remember if GO has this) have the option to change icon themes by using launcher-specific packs. In other words, you can find an icon pack in GPlay, navigate within your launcher menu and choose an icon pack. Afterward, all supported icons will be changed in one step. However, if you want to change individual icons rather than all at once, you'll have to select them individually. With DV, you'll also have to create a DV widget for every icon, select the image, and then select the linked task.

If you're just looking to replace icons with pre-existing packs, you don't need DV, but if you have to use the xperia launcher, then DV is probably the only way you'll get custom icons to work.

3phemeral

I changed icons with Nova launcher, but the recent apps screen still shows the stock icons.

I've never noticed that. Actually, the only way I'd assume the recent-apps icon would be changed is as the apk level, right? I don't know if icon theme packs change recent-app icons either. I'm thinking those icons are exactly how widgets operate: you'd have to custom-design the assets within the apk for those to work.

Someone else might know better.

Altazor

my new home screen... it's different from what I've been rocking since last year, especially because this one's colorful (or at least, more colorful than the one I posted some pages back). I had tried a couple of days ago with certain icons but they were kinda low res and didn't look so good. I think these are a bit better, but it's still temporary.

OwLWr.png

Anduril

ixcYR3YXeeLD0.png
iqnn7iKsSLMx8.png

My new baby - have changed over to ParanoidAndroid ROM which I'm pretty happy with as it lets me choose on an app-by-app basis if I want to use the tablet or phone layout for that app - really handy on this phone :)

Anyone know what icon set this is, since IamMikeside is banned? :(

It'll be a custom boot animation loaded into the T-Mobile ROM. You'll need a new rom or root and patch in your own custom boot animation. Unless there's some new method I'm unaware of.

I decided to play a bit more with ICS, kind of gave up after a while though:
Screenshot_2012-06-03-19-23-43.png
Screenshot_2012-06-03-20-35-09.png

So damn sexy. What are you using to achieve this look?

jokkir

Here's my new home screen. Pretty much just did what the person did with the Google Glass look a few pages back but with no wallpaper + changed the icons

RoAhj.jpg

Screen to the right is my social network apps and to the left are my miscellaneous apps.

3phemeral

Does anyone know if there's a way to customize widget sizes irrespective of the homescreen grid? Like skewed shapes versus the standard square/rectangular shape? I just started working with Desktop Visualizer and it seems to be the best option for maximizing tile size, but it's also limited by default widget sizes.

First time trying to highly customize my homescreen and it's a challenge to get exactly what I want, but it's interesting trying to problem-solve around some limitations.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
OH71o.jpg

Pretty plain at the moment. Tho I'm looking for a transparent widget for any music player. So if you can help please do.

gutshot

After spending the better part of the last two days playing with my layout, I think I'm finally happy with it.

Just 3 home screens. Most-used apps on the center screen, settings and stuff on the left, all other apps in folders on the right screen.

sOTBd.png
kj894.png
L1zKc.png

3phemeral

After spending the better part of the last two days playing with my layout, I think I'm finally happy with it.

Just 3 home screens. Most-used apps on the center screen, settings and stuff on the left, all other apps in folders on the right screen.

sOTBd.png
kj894.png
L1zKc.png

Those icons are quite nice.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Top Bottom