• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show off your Android Customizations thread

Thanks to everyone here. I bought Nova Prime and finally updated my home screen from the original ICS stock. It's nothing inspiring but it'll do.

http://i.minus.com/jblepKvmOMdFuc.jpg

I use gestures to get to things. Icons get notification badges. Swipe down for notification bar. Swipe up for app drawer. Double tap home for voice search. App drawer has frequently used apps as the first tab so things are quick to get to.[/QUOTE]

I wish I could go simple with only one window and use gestures for my other apps, problem is, I can never remember the damn gestures :(

Davidion

So I may have missed the convo here but, anyone has a rundown/link to a comparison between apex/nova/go? I'm just trying to find the most optimized interface at reasonable cost to optimization.

Danke ahead of time.

gutshot

So I may have missed the convo here but, anyone has a rundown/link to a comparison between apex/nova/go? I'm just trying to find the most optimized interface at reasonable cost to optimization.

Danke ahead of time.

From my short amount of research, this is what I found:

GoLauncher - available for older Android devices, lots of features, tons of themes/add-ons available, kinda bloated and slow
Nova - available for ICS only, lots of features, decent amount of themes/add-ons, runs relatively smoothly
Apex - available for ICS only, decent amount of features, small amount of themes/add-ons (Pro version allows you to use Go/Nova themes, which opens it up to way more, obvs), runs very smooth

I use Apex because I don't need a ton of features or theme choices. I just want to make a few modifications and have it run as smoothly as possible.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wish I could go simple with only one window and use gestures for my other apps, problem is, I can never remember the damn gestures :(

It's only one gesture. Swipe up. That brings up the App Launcher that has a list of all my frequently used apps. It's like a folder that isn't as limited. I wouldn't have gone simple if I couldn't do that.

Keeping it simple(r)

ziBzd.png

Threi

notag

Danke ahead of time.

Apex and Nova are actually extremely similar, the differences between the two are minor features. They are both essentially modified versions of the vanilla ICS Android launcher. You probably should try both out and see which you like more.

GO is a bit of a different beast, its strengths being how customizable and themeable it is (with lots of themes avaliable). Development on GO launcher is the quickest of the three, and more and more features are added every day.

If you are on a modern smartphone none should really affect system performance in any major way so I really suggest just trying them all out. You don't have to stick with one launcher at a time, just install all of em.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is there any way to change a notification icon for an app? I'd like the new Twitter logo (it looks so awesome) to be used for Plume in the notification tray.

Loxley

My GS3 homescreen. Figured I'd try to keep it simple for the time being, I'm just starting to explore Android customization.

screenshot2012072119064.png

MNC

I can finally partake in this

LHHsT.png

Still looking for a clock widget. I am using:

Metrostation icons
Beautiful Widgets Weather
BattStatt

That's about it. :p

Davidion

From my short amount of research, this is what I found:

GoLauncher - available for older Android devices, lots of features, tons of themes/add-ons available, kinda bloated and slow
Nova - available for ICS only, lots of features, decent amount of themes/add-ons, runs relatively smoothly
Apex - available for ICS only, decent amount of features, small amount of themes/add-ons (Pro version allows you to use Go/Nova themes, which opens it up to way more, obvs), runs very smooth

I use Apex because I don't need a ton of features or theme choices. I just want to make a few modifications and have it run as smoothly as possible.

Apex and Nova are actually extremely similar, the differences between the two are minor features. They are both essentially modified versions of the vanilla ICS Android launcher. You probably should try both out and see which you like more.

GO is a bit of a different beast, its strengths being how customizable and themeable it is (with lots of themes avaliable). Development on GO launcher is the quickest of the three, and more and more features are added every day.

If you are on a modern smartphone none should really affect system performance in any major way so I really suggest just trying them all out. You don't have to stick with one launcher at a time, just install all of em.

Missed these the first time around, thanks for the tips.

kinggroin

Banned
Is there any way to change a notification icon for an app? I'd like the new Twitter logo (it looks so awesome) to be used for Plume in the notification tray.

No easy way that I know but it is possible. I've used mods that have done exactly what you want. Even adding animations.

r1chard

gOKx8.png

The right-hand screen is the "home" screen.

Hitting "home" in the home screen fires up JB voice search.

Apex Launcher so I can remove icon text and the Google Search box and have (that's the Apex settings menu button on the apps page)

Two screens, set to scroll infinitely so I can just swipe either direction to go from one to the other.

Home screen widgets: Business Calendar, Au Weather (because I prefer the BoM forecasts), Make Your Own Clock, Widgetsoid. And icons grabbed from a bunch of sources (had to make.)

The Business Calendar widget looks much nicer without the additional buttons but I've kept them for convenience.

The home screen icons are from Ornis "whiteout" except for Runkeeper which I had to make myself. Wish I had a better icon for GTalk. I've lost the name of the dock icon set :-(

Mikeside

Have been playing around with some ideas and templates from MyColorScreen and I've come up with:

Using WidgetLocker, Minimal Reader Pro and Apex Launcher Pro

Next up I'm going to try and find something fun to do with my Nexus 7

Mikeside

Can you explain how you did it? What options did you use in the launcher etc..?

Hmm, OK so:

I'm using a Cyanogenmod 10 ROM on my phone, but that doesn't really matter for this build.

Lockscreen: Literally just using WidgetLocker to get a separate wallpaper for my lockscreen. If anyone knows of a simpler way to do this, let me know because I'd rather use stock as they conflict occasionally.

I'm using Apex Launcher Pro as a home replacement. You could do this in something like Nova too, but I just tend to prefer Apex lately. Infact, Nova has a setting which speeds up animation between screens which would really benefit this setup. I'd love to find a way of disabling scrolling between my screens so I could set it that only the buttons I've set up get you between them, but I don't think that's possible :(

So the main screen has some icons down the left.
The first one is a folder with Phone and Contacts in it, next one is Messages, then Gmail, Chrome and Play Store.
I totally forget where I got these from (sorry!) but they're pretty simple and just take you to apps.
Down the bottom is the stock Music widget - I would use something a bit more elegant, but I'm not sure any of the others work consistently with cloud music, so I'm stuck with it.
On the right of that are 2 more icons for Google Now and App Drawer. The bottom icon is just a shortcut to take you to the other screen.

Second screen, again, just has icons on the right for Camera, Games folder, Cloud folder, Maps and File Manager and then at the bottom is a shortcut to the main screen.
On the left, I have Minimal Reader Pro as my RSS feeder of choice, basically just because it's nice and lightweight.
Below that is my Evernote widget and at the very bottom is SwitchPro.

The wallpaper was stitched together (using something I found on MyColorScreen as a template) to tie it all together.

surly

Banned
Has anyone else using Apex noticed that items in folders seem to change order? I have a folder for games and one for my most used apps. I arranged items alphabetically in both folders, but sometimes I'll open a folder and the order has changed. I'm thinking it may be related to when a game/app updates, it causes that game/app to move to the end of the list, but I'm not 100% sure. Either way, it's a little annoying.

Maiar_m

Hmm, OK so:

I'm using a Cyanogenmod 10 ROM on my phone, but that doesn't really matter for this build.

Lockscreen: Literally just using WidgetLocker to get a separate wallpaper for my lockscreen. If anyone knows of a simpler way to do this, let me know because I'd rather use stock as they conflict occasionally.

I'm using Apex Launcher Pro as a home replacement. You could do this in something like Nova too, but I just tend to prefer Apex lately. Infact, Nova has a setting which speeds up animation between screens which would really benefit this setup. I'd love to find a way of disabling scrolling between my screens so I could set it that only the buttons I've set up get you between them, but I don't think that's possible :(

So the main screen has some icons down the left.
The first one is a folder with Phone and Contacts in it, next one is Messages, then Gmail, Chrome and Play Store.
I totally forget where I got these from (sorry!) but they're pretty simple and just take you to apps.
Down the bottom is the stock Music widget - I would use something a bit more elegant, but I'm not sure any of the others work consistently with cloud music, so I'm stuck with it.
On the right of that are 2 more icons for Google Now and App Drawer. The bottom icon is just a shortcut to take you to the other screen.

Second screen, again, just has icons on the right for Camera, Games folder, Cloud folder, Maps and File Manager and then at the bottom is a shortcut to the main screen.
On the left, I have Minimal Reader Pro as my RSS feeder of choice, basically just because it's nice and lightweight.
Below that is my Evernote widget and at the very bottom is SwitchPro.

The wallpaper was stitched together (using something I found on MyColorScreen as a template) to tie it all together.

Thanks a lot, really nice work!

Mikeside

How do I change icons of things? I have an icon pack I like.

Also how can I get a different visual lockscreen?

If you use Apex, Nova or similar then you can longpress the app icon on your homescreen and you should get an 'edit' option or something similar (varies depending on the HSR - home screen replacement)

Thanks a lot, really nice work!

Cheers very much - I'm quite happy with it, for now at least.
Definitely need interesting ideas for my Nexus 7. Will have a trawl through this thread for inspiration later :)

Tess3ract

Banned
A new launcher like Apex, Nova or LauncherPro for your first question, and WidgetLocker for your second.
I already have Apex Pro, how do I do that?

If you use Apex, Nova or similar then you can longpress the app icon on your homescreen and you should get an 'edit' option or something similar (varies depending on the HSR - home screen replacement)

Cheers very much - I'm quite happy with it, for now at least.
Definitely need interesting ideas for my Nexus 7. Will have a trawl through this thread for inspiration later :)

Oh nice!

Tess3ract

Banned
Awesome ICSauce. It's a modded ICS for the SGS3 (mostly just the USCC variant)

I wish I had jellybean, but I have google now and wallet so I'm okay with it!

beje

Banned
I decided to give my phone a little of makeup so...
- Applied a Cyanogen Mod theme in red to change the colours of the framework (controls, percentage bars, buttons, notifications bar...)
- Changed the main colour tone in Nova launcher to red so it would match the system
- Added an awesome wallpaper

And this is the result:

7uMS9.png
evK6x.png
YFxbX.png
MNjc8.png

Mikeside

Have already posted this in UKGAF, forgot to post here!

Took ages to decide on something I wanted to do, but here we go:

My Nexus 7 tablet with a Wipeout theme in honour of Studio Liverpool

Lockscreen

...and Main screen.

I still have a few bits to add to that main screen (time, battery level, power controls), but I'm basically done :)

Lockscreen is just WidgetLocker (until I get a CM10 build on here) with a wallpaper
Homescreen is just a custom wallpaper with a couple of small widgets and icons.

Super simple, especially compared to some of the complicated shit I was trying to do, but I'm happy with it for now.

TheTowel

It's pretty amazing to look back to the first page and see the progression of Android skins. They weren't bad back in the day but they are much more aesthetically pleasing today. Alot of progress since 2010.

Chopper

My latest homescreen. Again, inspired heavily by someone else's hard work over at MyColorScreen, but with some personal tweeks. Screen to the left is an APW Facebook/Twitter timeline, and the screen to the right has an Ubermusic player and a weather widget.

bo17k.jpg

Hey what clock is that? It would so fit in my theme. Could someone help me find it? Can I run it in the default launcher?
Looks like Beautiful Widgets to me.

Top Bottom