• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show off your Android Customizations thread

Slizz

Siebzehn50 said:
Does anybody here have experience with the Samsung Captivate? I'll probably be getting it soon and I'm wondering how it is. The reviews look good but I hear people saying that AT&T gimps their Android phones. Could somebody elaborate on that?
I'm completely new to Andriod phones so I might not be the best at this. My last phone was a cheap Sony Ericcson slide phone so going to the Captivate was a huge upgrade. I really like the Captivate it lasts me about a day and a half-2 days with moderate to heavy use, big screen, pretty friendly interface, takes forever to charge though. Thats probably my only con is how long it takes to charge. As far as AT&T gimping, you cant install any apps that aren't in the Android Marketplace(i.e. xda forum apps and others).

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Siebzehn50 said:
Does anybody here have experience with the Samsung Captivate? I'll probably be getting it soon and I'm wondering how it is. The reviews look good but I hear people saying that AT&T gimps their Android phones. Could somebody elaborate on that?

I got it, I rooted it, now it is godly. Go for it.

Changed mine slightly (will it ever stop!? :lol ) still using the same things as before except adding the Launcherpro widgets for Twitter and Facebook and making/replacing some icons

4994600196_9ba39b4638_z.jpg

Widget locker, Switch Pro, Living Music Live Wallpaper, Beautiful widgets home (clock : stormy sunrise, weather : none), Battstatt small nuimbers, Pure Music widget,
App Categories, Desktop Visualizer, Contact widget, Windows Phone 7 icons

womp

For whatever reason, recent versions of Launcher Pro have totally borked my Droid X in terms of making me have to do full out battery pulls thanks to overall lag and freezing. The phone was also randomly shutting itself off. It seems to me ever since those widgets appeared (Twitter/Facebook) things went down hill and the app itself has simply become a *pig*.

Sure enough I removed it and switched over to ADW - Lo and behold (Knock on wood) I haven't had any of these issues since the past three days when I changed.

It really upsets me because I have used Launcher Pro since day one on my old Droid and then it was the first thing I installed on my new X back in July, never had any problems. I love it and even paid for the Plus version, however, I can't be using my phone like that anymore. I have found that ADW is damn nice in its own way as well.

Sorry, just venting. :D

gsarjeant

womp said:
For whatever reason, recent versions of Launcher Pro have totally borked my Droid X in terms of making me have to do full out battery pulls thanks to overall lag and freezing. The phone was also randomly shutting itself off. It seems to me ever since those widgets appeared (Twitter/Facebook) things went down hill and the app itself has simply become a *pig*.

Sure enough I removed it and switched over to ADW - Lo and behold (Knock on wood) I haven't had any of these issues since the past three days when I changed.

It really upsets me because I have used Launcher Pro since day one on my old Droid and then it was the first thing I installed on my new X back in July, never had any problems. I love it and even paid for the Plus version, however, I can't be using my phone like that anymore. I have found that ADW is damn nice in its own way as well.

Yeah, I'm a little bummed about that, too. I really liked LP, but he seems to have developed a serious case of featureitis. It's too bad.

But! The combination of that and Verizon pushing out an update to the Ally that breaks root literally the day I finally got it set up the way I liked motivated me to finally do the custom ROM thing.

27Uav.png

ROM: Velocity 0.2 (link)
Author: Trident at Android Forums

I haven't really had time to put my own spin on it, but I will be over the next week or so. It might be fun to have a before/after, so that's the (mostly) default homescreen (I've moved one or two icons). The wallpaper is bundled with the ROM. I don't know if there's an independent link.

I've only had it applied for a couple of hours, but I have to say that I'm really impressed with this ROM. The most exciting things to me right now are that it has ~100MB free for apps, which is a huge improvement over stock, and that there are only two running services by default (Google Talk and Voice Search), both of which I'm pretty sure are required for normal phone operation. It makes me wish I'd taken the plunge earlier.

I know there's at least one other Ally user here, so I thought this would be of interest at least to him. I'll post another update once I've set it up a bit more, but for now I'm very impressed with the out-of-the-box behavior.

jayb

Maiar_m said:
And you can't be wrong about what time it is.

:lol

LOL that in addition to the three clocks, he's also got the clock app shortcut there.

it's a joke, I assume?

womp said:

I had the same problems on my HTC Hero. After installing Launcher Pro, everything started going downhill, so much that I had to factory reset Friday.

ShinNL

obaidr said:
not too much changed:

[-IMG]http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/1869/snap20100926223315.png[/IMG]
How did you do that Windows Phone 7-like theme? Since you said not much has been changed, I assume I must have missed this in the thread?

gsarjeant

Ok - finally have everything laid out in a way that makes me happy. Some of the customizations are under-the-hood, but I'll link them anyway:

81fgA.png
C4AHz.png
IW1DW.png

LG Ally
Velocity ROM 0.2
GNM_TURBO4 kernel / JIT libs
ADW Launcher
Pure Calendar widget
Music Mod
Google News and Weather Widget (bundled with ROM, but also available separately)
wallpaper

As you can see, I'm not as icon/widget averse as most.

I have to reiterate how much of a difference the ROM and kernel updates have made to this device. It's night and day from the stock. My first post in this thread was minimalist by necessity. I had basically stripped everything away except for the calendar widget to keep things happy. I found that part of my problem was Android System Info, which bundles a task killer (sigh...). So, I'm not running that anymore.

But even so, I was pretty regularly running up against my memory limit. Now I have 40-45 MB to spare, which is very good for the Ally. I'm able to run the phone reliably at 787 MHZ, which obviously isn't world record material, but is a pretty significant improvement from the stock 600. The phone is noticeably more responsive than it was prior to these mods. I'm extremely happy with it now, and I'm reasonably confident that it will work well for me for the duration of my contract, which had been a concern before.

Jayge

The stuff you guys are doing is absolutely beautiful. I need to make my Evo my next project, get my ROM up and running and get serious with this shit. God damn.

the amount of shit you can do is slightly overwhelming :lol mostly default stuff

JCfTK.png

Hours later, I don't think I'll ever settle :lol :
8iq5u.png

back again with a new wallpaper and lp widgets:
lEXuL.png

it's a live wallpaper that fades from black to purple and slides around. free too

Weenerz

Banned
I need some major Android help. I just moved from a 3GS to a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate and I am so lost :lol

First things first, what application do I get so I can read these images?
chartw.png

Also, how do I make my phone look as pretty as you guys have your phones? It's not rooted(yet) and it's 2.1 android OS.

JaseMath

Weenerz said:
I need some major Android help. I just moved from a 3GS to a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate and I am so lost :lol

First things first, what application do I get so I can read these images?
chartw.png

Also, how do I make my phone look as pretty as you guys have your phones? It's not rooted(yet) and it's 2.1 android OS.
You can scan the barcodes with Barcode Scanner or Google Goggles.

Use these articles to get you started...
http://www.completeguides.net/01_The_Complete_Android_Guide
http://androinica.com/category/androidguide/

ENjoy your new phone and welcome aboard!

SRG01

Just bought a tiny Android device. Loving it.

Am I right in assuming that I can't change the notification bar at the top (along with the tiny icons) without root?

tabsina

SRG01 said:
Just bought a tiny Android device. Loving it.

Am I right in assuming that I can't change the notification bar at the top (along with the tiny icons) without root?

yeh, you'll need root access, as far as I know

Ignatz Mouse said:
What are people's choices for custom roms, particularly for a Nexus One user?

I don't personally have a Nexus One, but my best guess would be that Cyanogen is the way to go for the nexus

Futureman

I really like your set up dyonPT. What do you guys use for screenshots?

I would like to do something minimal like dyonPT, but I feel like I'd just be wasting space with my Droid X's huge screen. I moved from iOS iPod Touch, and I'm currently rocking a "wall of icons" type set up, with a calendar to the right and some widgets to the left.

ps The cat in my avatar is my GF's and he's on my lock screen currently :D

dyonPT

Futureman said:
I really like your set up dyonPT. What do you guys use for screenshots?

I would like to do something minimal like dyonPT, but I feel like I'd just be wasting space with my Droid X's huge screen. I moved from iOS iPod Touch, and I'm currently rocking a "wall of icons" type set up, with a calendar to the right and some widgets to the left.

ps The cat in my avatar is my GF's and he's on my lock screen currently :D

I used my digital camera to take the picures ;)

dyonPT

vitaminwateryum said:
Much appreciated! For some reason I've had my Droid X for about a month now and am still using one of the default bgs.

I have my Nexus one since Febuary and always had de nexus live wallpaper on it :D

dyonPT

Deadly Cyclone said:
Would love to do that but don't have photoshop and have no idea how to make it all work. :lol

easy. The buttons are widgets that are created with desktop virtualizer. You just select the picture and the app shorcut.

I used that in my homescreen. If you click the text in the wallpaper it opens the app folders. For that I use the folder organizer app :)

It's easy, try it for your self !

Top Bottom