• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sideshow Bob to kill Bart Simpson in next Halloween Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
"What kind of country-fried rube is still impressed by that!?"

He's been trying for literally decades but finally, Sideshow Bob is going to fulfil his lifelong ambition to kill Bart Simpson.

This year's Halloween episode of The Simpsons will prove one of the most dramatic yet when Kelsey Grammer's criminal character destroys everybody's favourite cartoon rascal.

The methods of Bart's execution remain a mystery at this stage but will no doubt be diabolical and enough to give us nightmares. Fortunately, Bart will be back in the hit series afterwards but again, we don't quite know how that's all going to pan out just yet.

Executive producer Al Jean revealed the exciting news at the ATX Festival panel in Texas yesterday. "You're gonna see Sideshow Bob do something he's wanted to do for a long time," he told Entertainment Weekly, explaining that he always longer to see Coyote get the Road Runner in Looney Tunes. "I hated frustrated comedy so we'll scratch that itch."

While you let this all sink in there's something else we have to share too - Spider-Pig is coming back! Oh yes, Homer's beloved Plopper from The Simpsons Movie will return in the 27th season, but there was no further news on popular voice actor Harry Shearer.

Shearer, whose characters included Mr Burns, Ned Flanders and Waylon Smithers, announced last month that he would be leaving The Simpsons after a contract dispute. It remains to be seen whether his characters will be retired or new actors will be found to voice them.

After 26 years and 573 episodes, many fans believe that the end of the show could soon be in sight.

Season 27 of The Simpsons begins on US network Fox on 27 September. You can catch season 26 in the UK on Sky1 every Thursday at 7.30pm.

Bart Simpson will die and be replaced by a shell of his former self, only repeating the phrase "Eat my shorts" mindlessly in an attempt to stay relevant

Shahadan

Fortunately, Bart will be back in the hit series afterwards but again, we don't quite know how that's all going to pan out just yet.

Lol yes we do. Halloween special, he's back the next episode.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The methods of Bart's execution remain a mystery at this stage but will no doubt be diabolical and enough to give us nightmares.

They're killing him by extending the show for another 10 years?

Soodanim

I know it's correct, but the use of "literally" makes the writer seem like a young 20-something female with bad grades (seems to be the group that does it where I live, before GAF jumps on me) that uses the word to mean "not literally".

As for the Halloween special... well done, I guess? It's inconsequential.

Bart Simpson will die and be replaced by a shell of his former self, only repeating the phrase "Eat my shorts" mindlessly in an attempt to stay relevant

tumblr_mnu6jdGkOv1qfrrv2o1_500.png

Laieon

I know it's correct, but the use of "literally" makes the writer seem like a young 20-something female (seems to be the group that does it where I live, before GAF jumps on me) that uses the word to mean "not literally".

Which is fine, because that's literally one it's definitions.

Just to get this out of the way.

You know how Fox has a weird way of counting Simpsons episodes?

They refuse to count a couple of them, making the amount of episodes inconsistent.

The reason for this is a lost episode from season 1.

Finding details about this missing episode is difficult, no one who was working on the show at the time likes to talk about it. From what has been pieced together, the lost episode was written entirely by Matt Groening. During production of the first season, Matt started to act strangely. He was very quiet, seemed nervous and morbid. Mentioning this to anyone who was present results in them getting very angry, and forbidding you to ever mention it to Matt.

I first heard of it at an event where David Silverman was speaking. Someone in the crowd asked about the episode, and Silverman simply left the stage, ending the presentation hours early. The episode's production number was 7G06, the title was Dead Bart. The episode labeled 7G06, Moaning Lisa, was made later and given Dead Bart's production code to hide the latter's existence.

In addition to getting angry, asking anyone who was on the show about this will cause them to do everything they can to stop you from directly communicating with Matt Groening. At a fan event, I managed to follow him after he spoke to the crowd, and eventually had a chance to talk to him alone as he was leaving the building. He didn't seem upset that I had followed him, probably expected a typical encounter with an obsessive fan. When I mentioned the lost episode though, all color drained from his face and he started trembling. When I asked him if he could tell me any details, he sounded like he was on the verge of tears. He grabbed a piece of paper, wrote something on it, and handed it to me. He begged me never to mention the episode again.

The piece of paper had a website address on it, I would rather not say what it was, for reasons you'll see in a second. I entered the address into my browser, and I came to a site that was completely black, except for a line of yellow text, a download link. I clicked on it, and a file started downloading. Once the file was downloaded, my computer went crazy, it was the worst virus I had ever seen. System restore didn't work, the entire computer had to be rebooted. Before doing this though, I copied the file onto a CD. I tried to open it on my now empty computer, and as I suspected, there was an episode of The Simpsons on it.

The episode started off like any other episode, but had very poor quality animation. If you've seen the original animation for Some Enchanted Evening, it was similar, but less stable. The first act was fairly normal, but the way the characters acted was a little off. Homer seemed angrier, Marge seemed depressed, Lisa seemed anxious, Bart seemed to have genuine anger and hatred for his parents.

The episode was about the Simpsons going on a plane trip, near the end of the first act, the plane was taking off. Bart was fooling around, as you'd expect. However, as the plane was about 50 feet off the ground, Bart broke a window on the plane and was sucked out.

At the beginning of the series, Matt had an idea that the animated style of the Simpsons' world represented life, and that death turned things more realistic. This was used in this episode. The picture of Bart's corpse was barely recognizable, they took full advantage of it not having to move, and made an almost photo-realistic drawing of his dead body.

Act one ended with the shot of Bart's corpse. When act two started, Homer, Marge, and Lisa were sitting at their table, crying. The crying went on and on, it got more pained, and sounded more realistic, better acting than you would think possible. The animation started to decay even more as they cried, and you could hear murmuring in the background. The characters could barely be made out, they were stretching and blurring, they looked like deformed shadows with random bright colors thrown on them.

There were faces looking in the window, flashing in and out so you were never sure what they looked like.

This crying went on for all of act two.

Act three opened with a title card saying one year had passed. Homer, Marge, and Lisa were skeletally thin, and still sitting at the table. There was no sign of Maggie or the pets.

They decided to visit Bart's grave. Springfield was completely deserted, and as they walked to the cemetery the houses became more and more decrepit. They all looked abandoned. When they got to the grave, Bart's body was just lying in front of his tombstone, looking just like it did at the end of act one.

The family started crying again. Eventually they stopped, and just stared at Bart's body. The camera zoomed in on Homer's face. According to summaries, Homer tells a joke at this part, but it isn't audible in the version I saw, you can't tell what Homer is saying.

The view zoomed out as the episode came to a close. The tombstones in the background had the names of every Simpsons guest star on them. Some that no one had heard of in 1989, some that haven't been on the show yet. All of them had death dates on them.

For guests who died since, like Michael Jackson and George Harrison, the dates were when they would die. The credits were completely silent, and seemed handwritten. The final image was the Simpson family on their couch, like in the intros, but all drawn in hyper realistic, lifeless style of Bart's corpse.

A thought occurred to me after seeing the episode for the first time, you could try to use the tombstones to predict the death of living Simpsons guest stars, but there's something odd about most of the ones who haven't died yet.

All of their deaths are listed as the same date.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Halloween special, they die in those all the time.

I bet you the method Sideshow Bob manages to kill him will be something comically simple. Since his methods are always a bit... Complex, and those always fail, probably some unintended oversight in his scheme or something he does out of frustration of not being able to kill him actually is what managed to kill him.

Probably.

Joni

They always die in these episodes, the news is that Sideshow Bob manages to do it. They'll be back alive in the next segment of the same episode.

Soodanim

Lol at Dead Bart. I've never read that before. I'm disappointed at the video, I expected someone to at least try and make it look like the video in parts.

As the page says, it's common hyperbole. And/or people are ignorant of the definition pre-inclusion.

Lol at Dead Bart. I've never read that before. I'm disappointed at the video, I expected someone to at least try and make it look like the video in parts.

As the page says, it's common hyperbole. And/or people are ignorant of the definition pre-inclusion.

They totally did, Bart falls, you see his corpse, the family cries, you see a graveyard with gravestones, even hyper realistic animation (guy in a bart suit on a real beach lol), degradation of animation towards the end (the usage of original old school Tracy Ulman footage). Given that all they had to work with was pre-existing footage I thought it was a solid B+ attempt, with bonus marks for just being overtly creepy.

He mentions that he knows it is correct. Although I don't consider it proper usage for some who writes for a living. Besides that, this doesn't seem to be used hyperbolic either and seems to be a completely meaningless word in this context.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

It's too late, Bob.

Bart along with the rest of The Simpsons have been dead for years.
Death will be by Bob dressing up as a clown and eating Bart in his sleep in a mix of the Simpson's clinging to former memetic glory.

Also, in a second half to the episode, Bart will give birth to a bovine-human cow hybrid thus literally 'having a cow man'

Soodanim

They totally did, Bart falls, you see his corpse, the family cries, you see a graveyard with gravestones, even hyper realistic animation (guy in a bart suit on a real beach lol), degradation of animation towards the end (the usage of original old school Tracy Ulman footage). Given that all they had to work with was pre-existing footage I thought it was a solid B+ attempt, with bonus marks for just being overtly creepy.
I got bored with the intentional "poor quality VHS" effect and skipped through it, and it seemed like random clips to me. Maybe I'll try and sit through it after work.

He mentions that he knows it is correct. Although I don't consider it proper usage for some who writes for a living. Besides that, this doesn't seem to be used hyperbolic either and seems to be a completely meaningless word in this context.
Steve gets it.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I like it, it actually kind of clever I hope they use the episode to parody scary serial killer movies.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Can't really fault them when they've already done literally everything else.

What else is left for the Simpsons to do?

Joni

TIL that Kelsey Grammer is the voice of Sideshow Bob.

Must be expensive to get him in the booth.
He loves doing the voice, they even managed to get him for The Simpsons Ride at Universal. They couldn't get Harry Shearer for that. They do have to work around his busy schedule, they couldn't get him for the Cheers parody.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
TIL that Kelsey Grammer is the voice of Sideshow Bob.

Must be expensive to get him in the booth.

I think he likes the role and makes an exception, partially due to how big the Simpsons is recognized and also to enjoyment for it. They got him to voice Side Show Bob in the Simpsons: Video Game where he only appears for 20 seconds in a cutscene, then amply gets thwarted. He even makes the comment, "I bet you didn't expect to see me here!", and such things.

He loves doing the voice, they even managed to get him for The Simpsons Ride at Universal. They couldn't get Harry Shearer for that. They do have to work around his busy schedule, they couldn't get him for the Cheers parody.

Yeah, I get the impression he gives more lenience on the role due to enjoyment playing the role and the name recognition The Simpsons has.

Jamie OD

I know it's correct, but the use of "literally" makes the writer seem like a young 20-something female with bad grades (seems to be the group that does it where I live, before GAF jumps on me) that uses the word to mean "not literally".

As for the Halloween special... well done, I guess? It's inconsequential.

The exaggerated meaning of the word is now included in some dictionaries so it's acceptable now.

Chuckie

But it is literally decades. Bob tries to kill Bart for the first time in 93, that is 22 years ago.

The exaggerated meaning of the word is now included in some dictionaries so it's acceptable now.

Well, I don't think that necessary means it is acceptable, but aside of that it seems to come with a footnote for it being a special case of usage.

In this case it doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't clarify anything, it does not intensify anything. I don't mind people using it when exaggerating, but I don't think that's correct here.

Chuckie

Well, I don't think that necessary means it is acceptable, but aside of that it seems to come with a footnote for it being a special case of usage.

In this case it doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't clarify anything, it does not intensify anything. I don't mind people using it when exaggerating, but I don't think that's correct here.

Well like I said, I think the writer is actually trying to convey the fact Bob has been trying to kill Bart for more than twenty years. Which is literally decades.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's Halloween. And Bart's died before. I see no big deal. If he actually died for real in a non-Halloween episode then it'd be a big deal.

I think they should set it up and just before Bart is killed, the video should go briefly to static then immediately to black for about 30 seconds. Then when it comes back on, the credits should be running.

Then Krusty comes out and says "OH MY GOD! THEY WILL NEVER LET US SHOW THAT ONE AGAIN!"

The end.

Komo

Banned
Please watch our show. Look what will happen in the next episode:

Kinda reminds me of last year (I believe?) when they tried hyping up that they'd kill off a 'major' character, but it ended up being one of the minor characters that nobody cared about

It feels a bit desperate, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom