• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 4 (PS2, Xbox) = $26.99, Kingdom Under Fire = $26.50 @ outpost.com

NotMSRP

Marty Chinn said:
any reason to get the PS2 version of SH4 over the Xbox?

To have the complete series on one system?

Cause it was made with the PS2 in mind?

Resources are primarily focused on the PS2 version first then quick cashin ports to help recoup development costs?

There's something wrong with Xbox/PC ports of SH2/3 like PC compatiblilities or frame issues?

Konami isn't known for strong Xbox/PC support?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Marty Chinn said:
any reason to get the PS2 version of SH4 over the Xbox?

I sure hope not, as I bought the XBOX version. However, 480p support is a big deal. Thankfully, based on the comparison shots I have seen, there is no real difference between them. The XBOX version seemingly features faster loading times as well. Many people complained about the loading times originally, but I can say that they almost don't exist on XBOX (ranging from fast to nothing more than a transitional fade).

ferricide

bizarre. the productp age says $26.99, but when i put it in my cart it's $39.99. not having this problem with gradius or fable. oh well.

Rhindle

NotMSRP said:
To have the complete series on one system?

Cause it was made with the PS2 in mind?

Resources are primarily focused on the PS2 version first then quick cashin ports to help recoup development costs?

There's something wrong with Xbox/PC ports of SH2/3 like PC compatiblilities or frame issues?

Konami isn't known for strong Xbox/PC support?
You obviously haven't played the Xbox version, so why bother posting all that?

cvxfreak

Based on the Xbox SH2, the only real problem I could think of would be the controls, but SH4 and SH2 are different in several aspects, so I think the Xbox version of SH4 is better than the PS2 edition this time around.

Has anyone actually received the SH4 from outpost yet? I ordered the PS2 version when this was first posted with 2 day air, and I have yet to receive it. In fact, both versions are still listed as pre-orders on their site. I sent an email to them this weekend about it, still waiting for their reply. Maybe it's just my mail luck.

NotMSRP

Rhindle said:
You obviously haven't played the Xbox version, so why bother posting all that?

Because these are from what other people have said about playing either the PC or Xbox versions of SH2/3. They might provide something better than the PS2 verison but then there's something taken away in exchange, such as the two mention above.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
CVXFREAK said:
Based on the Xbox SH2, the only real problem I could think of would be the controls, but SH4 and SH2 are different in several aspects, so I think the Xbox version of SH4 is better than the PS2 edition this time around.

That's not true at all. SH2 on XBOX had massively reduced fog effects, grainy 30 fps video clips, small skips here and there, some sound sync issues, and a few modified textures (which looked worse). The PC version had all of those problems plus it lacked soft shadows. Basically, non-PS2 versions just felt unpolished in comparison. They did offer one nice improvement in the form of a perpixel flashlight beam, but that's really it.

SH3 on the PC, however, was a flawless port and it seems that SH4 on XBOX is as well.

Top Bottom