• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

If it turns out this is the good shit hopefully the series doesnt jump ship to yet another developer. Vatra seems like maybe things would work with them.

that and they can learn from the mistakes they did make. it sounds like they handled the story and atmosphere very well, along with the puzzles, so maybe next time they could do a better job with the combat/gameplay in general and make a technically superior product.

Ahasverus

The only things Vartra should polish are graphics, movement and combat. They came from developing mobile games so there's some merit in them!

As far as I'm concerned anything is better than Homecoming, although some stuff in here sounds wildly janky especially the combat mechanics, it cannot simply cannot be worse than Homecoming.

Teknoman

If it turns out this is the good shit hopefully the series doesnt jump ship to yet another developer. Vatra seems like maybe things would work with them.

Seriously. If these guys can work with Silent Hill and the game is as good as impressions are showing early on, let them stick with it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
http://www.relyonhorror.com/reviews/review-silent-hill-downpour/

Another review.

"As a Silent Hill fan, I am so excited that this game turned out to be so good. I really feel that Konami now has the near-perfect mold to use to continue the series rather than starting from scratch for every new entry."

I had no idea Nathan McCree was even still doing video games yet alone did the sound design on this. His Tomb Raider music was so awesome.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Put this together very quickly. Just a quick game compilation video. Some very minor spoilers, but I purposely avoided anything in the second half of the game, the best moments and scares, but put together hopefully as a way to pitch this to some people that they should check out this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doGeTxOqrgw

Cudder

Put this together very quickly. Just a quick game compilation video. Some very minor spoilers, but I purposely avoided anything in the second half of the game, the best moments and scares, but put together hopefully as a way to pitch this to some people that they should check out this game.

Didn't watch it, but I did click around the timeline of the video. OMG who is that poor chap all bloodied up on the floor? ;_;

Teknoman

The music does seem to have that Silent Hill Vibe. Voice acting does fit the usual survival horror bill too. Wow...how did my hype meter for this month do a complete 180 from the HD collection to this :p Nice scene choices too.
The UV
light section
where you have to use it to see invisible enemies
seems like it might be kinda clunky, but the game does look nice nevertheless.

I think the D-toid review has sold me. Knowing that the reviewer's favorite entry is 2, and that he has utterly detested what has become of the series post Team Silent speaks volumes of his opinion on DP. Well done Vatra, I still can't believe you guys pulled it off.

Ahasverus

The
mannequin and moving wall sequences
were one of the coolest, I think it's quite of a spoiler for some people, ,but great vid!

That track alone is worth a standing ovation for Licht. And it's not even the best.

and everyone was convinced that the inclusion of a Korn song in the credits/intro was evidence that the game was going to suck. lol

Ahasverus

^Yep, my bad, it's 29th.

Konaaaaaamiiiiiiiiii!!!
A bummer isn't it?

Hey guys, if this game was good (It is, I'm sure, I'm almost at the end, it's MORE THAN GOOD, this is just a rethorical question :p ) would you like Vartra to become the new Team Silent or would you still prefer Konami to keep outsourcing the series? I'm all for the first option.

Persona7

Banned
and everyone was convinced that the inclusion of a Korn song in the credits/intro was evidence that the game was going to suck. lol

I still think that Konami completely missed the mark on the inclusion of that song, even if you never actually hear it in the game.

Seeing how this is seemingly the first legitimately good entry in about a decade, and that Vatra truly does seem to get what makes the series good, I can only assume that they will only get better if they get another shot at the series. Hell, Climax had their two outings, why not give Vatra another shot?

Seeing how this is seemingly the first legitimately good entry in about a decade, and that Vatra truly does seem to get what makes the series good, I can only assume that they will only get better if they get another shot at the series. Hell, Climax had their two outings, why not give Vatra another shot?

This game would have to sell spectacularly poorly to do worse than Shattered Memories, and with praise like this from critics, Konami would be totally insane for not leaving the series in their hands.

Dusk Golem

More reviews should be popping up shortly (like in the next 15 minutes). I still stand by the thought that this game will be getting mostly 7-8s with some 9s and some 6s.

I also am curious how the fan base of Silent Hill as a whole, jagged and divided as it is, are going to react. What I can say is that I can see this game becoming a really big hit with horror game enthusiasts. I'm just hoping it's a general hit rather than a cult hit, since I want this game to do well and hope Vatra will maybe consider taking another swing at the series. I also hope that this game will help push publishers and developers to realize we have enough action games, we don't need more action in all of our horror games. This game and games like Amnesia are hopefully proving that.

Dusk Golem

Kevtones

It’s the fact that every now and then while playing through the game’s story, you’ll see signs of brilliance; sunlight hinted from behind the overcast sky.

He could be totally on point with his assessment but people really pay this man to write?

I'm so shocked with this!!!

From what I played for 2 and a half hours, this game is at less a very solid 7/10...

Wow IGN, what have you done :/

After this I lose all faith in you.

I'm utterly shocked people ever had faith in IGN at all. It seems like they've been terrible for almost a full decade now.

RedAssedApe

Banned
LOL...IGN goes from bad to good to bad again with their preview, preview, review. smh Was it the same dude writing these articles?

Dusk Golem

What I'm particularly shocked about is how the review is worded, it's like he's acting this is the worst Silent Hill game ever. Heck, it's not just the writing, the score reflects that he thinks this is the worst SH game ever.

Oh well, the thing that saddens me about this is since IGN is such a big site people may take it as meaning this game is terrible. I can understand someone not liking it, but the degree he says things almost feels like he and I weren't even playing the same game.

But this will make it interesting to see how the rest of the reviews pan out.

What I'm particularly shocked about is how the review is worded, it's like he's acting this is the worst Silent Hill game ever. Heck, it's not just the writing, the score reflects that he thinks this is the worst SH game ever.

Oh well, the thing that saddens me about this is since IGN is such a big site people may take it as meaning this game is terrible. I can understand someone not liking it, but the degree he says things almost feels like he and I weren't even playing the same game.

But this will make it interesting to see how the rest of the reviews pan out.

Sterling, while insane, has proven that his reviews carry serious weight with how well Deadly Premonition sold.

They DID NOT spell out the glaring flaws, but scored it a 4.5, bad, WHAT THE FUCK?!

They listed plenty of flaws. Actually I appreciate the review. I was getting very hyped up with all the positive reports but have found it a bit hard to believe. I suspect the truth, like always, will lie somewhere in between.

Will be a good birthday present I think, but I'm not going in day 1. I quite enjoyed origins and homecoming for what they were, but the price I paid for each (not much) probably helped in that regard.

Ahasverus

Framerate is fine on 360 but it has serious tearing in some parts.

Call me an apologist, but you can't judge SH in pure technical aspects, it's beyond that, its own thing. And even being judged by the tech side, it can't be less than a 7, it's solid, it's good.

And I agree, graphics and combat should be TOP priorities now that the other aspects are nailes

UrbanRats

IGN stub, ehm, review
http://ie.ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1220529p1.html
lol Can't spell... well you know
They DID NOT spell out the glaring flaws, but scored it a 4.5, bad, WHAT THE FUCK?!

Meh, i don't want to be an apologist for a game i haven't even played yet, so they could be completely spot on; but sites like IGN or Gametrailers and such, are all about readers' expectations (that is, the lowest common denominator reader, not the niche).
This means that they can give GTA4 a 10/10 for oscar-worthy story and then go wild on another minor title, that people "expect" to suck, not maintaining a fair judgment proportion between the two.

This is especially obvious in GT reviews (even because i rarely read IGN) were they nitpick to hell minor titles(or titles that nobody gives a shit about), and gloss over the problems of bigger ones, but i guess IGN runs with the same politics.

Again, they might be totally spot on, on this one, but it's a general attitude i've noticed, and it could very well apply here.

Ahasverus

I've been playing since always, I've played many games, and I can differenciate a good game and a bad one, and I swear to god this game is not Kane & Lynch nor Transformers The Movie nor Saw nor Vampire Rain Nor No Human, NO FUCKING WAY this one is their seame league.. this is the best survival horror i've had the pleasure of playing since Amnesia, and the best Silent Hill since 3.
You can take my word.

Dusk Golem

Meh, i don't want to be an apologist for a game i haven't even played yet, so they could be completely spot on; but sites like IGN or Gametrailers and such, are all about readers' expectations (that is, the lowest common denominator reader, not the niche).
This means that they can give GTA4 a 10/10 for oscar-worthy story and then go wild on another minor title, that people "expect" to suck, not maintaining a fair judgment proportion between the two.

This is especially obvious in GT reviews (even because i rarely read IGN) were they nitpick to hell minor titles(or titles that nobody gives a shit about), and gloss over the problems of bigger ones, but i guess IGN runs with the same politics.

Again, they might be totally spot on, on this one, but it's a general attitude i've noticed, and it could very well apply here.

It likely is, especially with the jaded Silent Hill fans. For some reason, unrelated, but that reminded me of when they scored Sonic Unleashed worse than Sonic Next-Gen, or when go back on their reviews if the audience feels differently and treat a game they liked or didn't like the opposite if gamers feel differently than they do. I can bet you that this Deadly Premonition remake thing for the PS3 coming out soon is going to score a lot better than the original score because the game is a cult hit now, even if it's essentially the same game with some new content.

pa22word

That IGN review was a joke. They pretty much did the same thing to I am Alive, wrote like a little 8 paragraph summation that barely says anything and slapped a highly negative score on it.

randomwab

That IGN review was a joke. They pretty much did the same thing to I am Alive, wrote like a little 8 paragraph summation that barely says anything and slapped a highly negative score on it.

It's not AAA. Why give a good score without a cash insentive? LOLGN as usual.

KorrZ

I don't put too much weight in IGN reviews. The Destructoid review seemed really nice, but then again it's the site that gave Assassin's Creed 2 a 4.something lol. Honestly, the only site I trust for reviews is Giant Bomb and I don't know if they'll do a review for it :\.

Top Bottom