• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

It is best to never get excited about a score at the end of the review. It is something completely made up and personal opinion.

The words themselves are pretty clear though. The game has bad combat, performance issues and apparently the locations are uninspiring. That in itself is pretty damning. Of course the other great silent hill games also had the same issues, and at the end of the day they didn't stop them being great games.

However I could also easily see how without the other elements in a silent hill game, or an appreciation of them, it could ruin a gamers experience and result in a low opinion and score.

Some users in this thread have suggested that it does rise above the limitations to produce a good game. The IGN reviewer does not. Who is right? Well I'm pretty sure it will come down to personal choice and love/hate. Not the first time for the series and probably not the last.

I wouldn't hate on IGN or any other review site. They are what they are, high or low score. In this case they have provided a valuable counter opinion which I was happy to read. I'm hoping the gaffers are right, but I have personal doubts based on the previous games which will be hard to overcome, and limited money.

They kind of pick and choose which games get a review/quick look and which ones just get a quick look. I'm just worried that they won't think it's high profile enough I guess.

They quick look pretty much everything but reviews are pretty selective. Normally the quick look is much more valuable anyway.

2zeoq.png

IGN gonna IGN.

They kind of pick and choose which games get a review/quick look and which ones just get a quick look. I'm just worried that they won't think it's high profile enough I guess.

Well here when there's not much coming out I fully expect it. Remember they reviewed shattered memoies and quick looked that. But fuck them, gamebomb is where the true review gold is, they reviewed the room not long ago!

Is none of his old stuff in there?

Like how the Star Wars prequels had John Williams name on the front of the OSTs, but he really only did the main themes from the original movies and the new stuff was by newbs.

No. The entire score was done by Daniel Licht. You can already buy it online. Akira never re-used music in SH games except for one instance. They used the SH1 main theme at the end of SH3, but it was different and had Joe Romersa singing over it.

I think you are reading it wrong.

I probably am, because this review is badly written. I expected Downpour to be garbage. However, there are parts of this review that remind me of the Dead Space 2 review.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The game has bad combat, performance issues and apparently the locations are uninspiring.

The game does have bad combat, but I don't think uninspiring locations is a legit issue, especially since this is the first game in ages I've played that switches up environments so frequently. Each one has it's own design style, but it's not uncommon in, say, the span of 30-40 minutes to go through a rainy street, a run-down and very Victorian-styled apartment, a park, a police station, and enter a vast almost mansion-like Library. However, I'll leave that to opinion.

I also can't comment on the technical aspect, since I have a theory. First, I didn't run into any of the technical issues he mentioned. BUT, I played the 360 version and not the PS3 version. I notice IGN doesn't have their 360 review up. I'm guessing there's some big technical difference between the versions.

EDIT: I also am not saying this is the reason for the error, it just seems like this guy didn't do his research at all on the matter, but this game does have three pieces of music from old Silent Hill games in it. They only play on a specific jukebox/radio each, though.

I actually trust ign's scors. Aside from the god hand controversy I have always found there reviews tone pretty close to the mark. I am not at all surprised that downpour is a shitty game judging by what I have seen of konami in the past two years and the fact that they felt it would be "super dark and kewl" to have a theme song by korn

I also can't comment on the technical aspect, since I have a theory. First, I didn't run into any of the technical issues he mentioned. BUT, I played the 360 version and not the PS3 version. I notice IGN doesn't have their 360 review up. I'm guessing there's some big technical difference between the versions.

Yeah that could well be the case. Homecoming was a mess on the PS3, although performance wasn't one of the issues.

Dusk Golem

I actually trust ign's scors. Aside from the god hand controversy I have always found there reviews tone pretty close to the mark. I am not at all surprised that downpour is a shitty game judging by what I have seen of konami in the past two years and the fact that they felt it would be "super dark and kewl" to have a theme song by korn

The people who chose the theme song and the and the people who made the game are not the same people. Konami chose the song and are who you're referring to, not Vatro.

The only reason I'm taking the defensive stance in this is because I know a lot of people are uncertain about the game. I know I was before I played it. And usually it's times like this when people let tiny little things sway them the most. Ignore every other review is giving it 7s, 8s, and 9s. IGN gave it a 4.5, the only review so far to be less than a 7/10. The people who actually have the game like it, the majority of reviewers like it, but if IGN dislikes it that is a major blow against the game even if their the only ones who might dislike it. When you search up Silent Hill Downpour on google, their review is the first thing that pops up. And I unfortunately know quite a few people who will likely look over this game because of that. I think it's good to take in the word of everyone, even the lows and highs. But I know a lot of people with a game like this will just take IGN's word and write this title off.

Which is a shame since I would love to see more Silent Hill and horror games in general like this. Fix up a few of the issues here and there, but I can say earnestly that as a gamer who loves exploration in games and puzzles, and loves horror games, it was really refreshing to see a game actually focus on them through the course of the main game.

Which is a shame since I would love to see more Silent Hill and horror games in general like this. Fix up a few of the issues here and there, but I can say earnestly that as a gamer who loves exploration in games and puzzles, and loves horror games, it was really refreshing to see a game actually focus on them through the course of the main game.

Your impressions are noted, and if true, I'll never doubt you again and subscribe to your newsletter :)

But I heard the same thing before origin and homecoming too...so just going to slow play this one and see.

Dusk Golem

Your impressions are noted, and if true, I'll never doubt you again and subscribe to your newsletter :)

But I heard the same thing before origin and homecoming too...so just going to slow play this one and see.

Actually if I can say, I think being doubtful is completely understandable and a good stance to have. In fact I think it's good to go in with no expectations. Sometimes people get games early and then their opinion is the only opinion to go off of. Now in that position, when you play the game you really don't know what to expect since no one else has any other impressions on it out there so you sort of have to discover it yourself. If I hadn't made the conscious decision to buy the game when the store called me to let me know they had copies in, and was in the boat of reading impressions and reviews right now, something like IGN's review would stick out since it's the low and it's a big site. Especially since before this game came out I personally had no idea what to expect from it. To be honest, from the Korn trailer being the last trailer they released and the shoddy screenshots and lack of marketing on Konami's part, I thought this game might be very disappointing. But that's why it was such a surprise to me I was having a really good time with the game.

My point being, I think it's good to be uncertain and don't take my word as fact. But I also think everyone should make a decision with these type of games and weigh overall with what they hear to themselves. I can say my opinion, but I know my thoughts are my own. I'm just sharing to help others make some personal judgments, and I also know I'm one of the few people leaving impressions right now. I come from the boat that loved the game, but I want people to know that this is in big part because this game really catered to a lot of stuff I love in horror games that has been lacking lately, and I want to make it clear what that is so people can get more out of my points instead of just my praise for the title, but also the things I liked and disliked about it.

The impressions are appreciated. Don't get me wrong, you have elevated me from 'avoid/train wreck' (which is what the game looked like for a long, long time) to 'could possibly be great'.

Danielsan

Regardless of whether or not Silent Hill Downpour is actually a good horror game, which it might very well be based on some of the impressions in this thread. I will still be holding out until this game has hit a budget price. Honestly, with the way Downpour has been marketed and the way Konami fucked up with the release date, I highly doubt many people even know that this game will be out. Furthermore the Silent Hill brand has severely lost its value over the years, previews have not been favorable and the reviews don’t exactly sound favorable enough for it to do well based on review scores. The logical conclusion is that the game will hit a sub €20 price point within a month or two.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't want to sound like an apologist, particularly considering how I haven't played the game, but we've all known IGN was confirmed to be totally worthless since october 10th, 2006.

http://ps2.ign.com/objects/822/822478.html
Just recently they gave I Am Alive a very poor score as well yet I've found none of their complaints to hold water and am enjoying the game immensely. I cannot imagine why the game gave the reviewer such trouble.

This seems like typical IGN. There is certainly a chance they could be right on the nose, but there have been too many examples of reviews that completely missed the mark.

Based on their video review it would seem that the PS3 version might actually be the better choice as well. They show a bit of footage where the player is sliding down...something. I just saw this bit played via Youtube on XBOX360 and it was absolutely filled to the brim with screen tearing. The PS3 footage in this review, however, appears much smoother. In fact, most of the video appears reasonably smooth in comparison to the 360 walkthroughs on Youtube.

I remain unphased. I knew it was coming. The impressions have been great and most of the other reviews have been very positive. And it's IGN.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
ITT serious reading comprehension issue are exposed.

Grammatically that bit of text from the IGN is clunky and inelegant, but its perfectly understandable what its getting at.

ITT serious reading comprehension issue are exposed.

Grammatically that bit of text from the IGN is clunky and inelegant, but its perfectly understandable what its getting at.
i think that's a bit unfair. i mean, if it was clear i don't think people would be pointing it out. the writer fucked up the second half of that sentance and as a result his original meaning was muddied. can we look closely and see what he probably meant? yes.

but it's not perfectly understandable. understandable with some effort is not 'perfectly' understandable.

Reviews updated in OP. Yes, I even added the IGN one.

i don't know if you did it by accident or not, but you've put the wrong score next to the IGN one.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I believe Dark Golem said in an earlier post that it did.

Yeah, there's a vocal track with McGlynn in Downpour. Talking about the soundtrack, I heard some clips from it in a video I watched, and I liked what I heard. It sounded somewhat like Yamaoka's work, yet it was different enough to not feel like a complete ripoff. If there's another SH game, Licht should definitely return as composer.

The game sounds as bad as the puns and metaphors used in the reviews.

Glad you listen to IGN! (only kidding by the waY)

Also, hearing some of the soundtrack, really love it. It's nice to have a new "voice" in there, and it really is clear that Licht understood what he had to do. Can't say I'm worried about that. I love that Sterling review. That's so great to see - not towing any line, and someone hyper-critical of the other games in the past. Someone that can actually write coherently as well.

Can't fucking wait to play this!! Monday, get the fuck out, right brandon?!

So for anybody whos played the game, on what system? And howd it run? Not sure what platform to get it for :/
Well, seeing as it's developed on Unreal, you can probably safely bet that the 360 will be better in the performance department.

I plan on getting it on PS3, and I'm really hoping it is more than comparable to the 360 version.

Kusagari

Sterling's a troll, but it seems like he legitimately enjoyed Downpour a lot.

And that means more to me than some shitty IGN review they clearly only bothered to write because they had to.

Nemesis_

My copy has shipped! I broke the law to import Homecoming here and now Downpour is on the way.

Luckily, Downpour was not banned. >_>

Teknoman

IGN has to be way off on this one. I know people have different opinions and all, but after seeing and hearing everything posted here, looks nothing like something that would warrant a low rating.

CyReN

IGN has to be way off on this one. I know people have different opinions and all, but after seeing and hearing everything posted here, looks nothing like something that would warrant a low rating.

IGN gave I Am Alive a 4/10 last week when the average was around 7/8's. So no surprise there.

I got this in my gamefly que, hope it ships today.

Top Bottom