• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

IGN has to be way off on this one. I know people have different opinions and all, but after seeing and hearing everything posted here, looks nothing like something that would warrant a low rating.
Ah, their opinion is just as valid as any other. However, I think it seems painfully obvious that the IGN reviewer isn't really someone that has an interest in the Silent Hill franchise.

For me, that means the IGN review is interesting (to see how someone outside the fandom understands the franchise), but not a review that I value.

I imported too! My copy shipped this morning. Now to play the unbearable waiting game.

Yeah the release of this is the celebration of a few things for me! One a new Silent Hill!!! Always a time for celebration! Two. It's the last time I have to wait 2 week + for a new game I've been dying for... and three, because I'm finally leaving my job over in Afghanistan (came over Jan 2011) and finally get to go back home for good! Oh HAPPY DAYS!!!! :D

So with that said Downpour is my last gaming extravaganza here! Can't wait! :D I'm looking forward to quite a few of the other known horror\silent hill fan gaf members thoughts!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, seeing as it's developed on Unreal, you can probably safely bet that the 360 will be better in the performance department.

I plan on getting it on PS3, and I'm really hoping it is more than comparable to the 360 version.
That seems logical, but footage I've seen from both systems has shown more tearing on the 360 (during specific scenes). They both suffer from pretty severe tearing and slowdown at times, though, it would appear.

Didn't I hear that PS3 was the lead platform?

Yknow, considering most of the reviews of the game are for ps3 and all review footage and most demo footage is ps3, you probably have a point.

Edit: But yeah itd be nice if the impressions dudes could be a little more clear on what version they played and how bad the stuttering/tearing is.

CAW

Amazon.ca hasn't shipped my order yet, bah! :( I do hope they get it out sometime today though and not tomorrow, even though I did just go with free shipping. Their free shipping (ground) is normally very quick so here's hoping that remains true with this shipment!

I ordered the 360 version simply because I feel more comfortable with that controller. That's pretty much the only reason or else I would have went PS3 probably. Unless it's available digitally on the PSN?

Cudder

Still can't believe we're one day away from a new Silent Hill game. I still remember the day of each games release. They're like milestones in my life lol.

theDeeDubs

Dangit, Gaf. I was hoping to wait until this hits about $40, but this OT has me hyped. Also, it feels good to be supporting Silent Hill with a day 1 purchase too. The 360 version is on its way, but I think I'm going to do a Homecoming run before starting. I feel like the odd man out on it because I liked it a lot.

I'm also excited about the HD collection, despite its flaws, because I missed out on SH3 originally.

Dangit, Gaf. I was hoping to wait until this hits about $40, but this OT has me hyped. Also, it feels good to be supporting Silent Hill with a day 1 purchase too. The 360 version is on its way, but I think I'm going to do a Homecoming run before starting. I feel like the odd man out on it because I liked it a lot.

I'm also excited about the HD collection, despite its flaws, because I missed out on SH3 originally.

You're not the only one, I liked Homecoming a lot too. IMO it did some things better than 2 did (like giving us a main character I cared about, unlike James)

Hey I actually really enjoyed Homecoming despite its flaws, playing it safe, and move tie in style stuff, but overall I liked the theme of it, and the idea of a town doing evil things in order to keep the evil that is Silent Hill from spreading to their town. I did recently replay it and I love the first 2/3rds of it, but the last part just got ridiculous with all the human enemies and it just stopped being scary or even really creepy imo.

Koyuga

You're not the only one, I liked Homecoming a lot too. IMO it did some things better than 2 did (like giving us a main character I cared about, unlike James)

Also chiming in, I loved Homecoming a lot. I must enrage classic Silent Hill fans, my two favorite games of the series are ones not even made by the old Silent Hill team (Shattered Memories and Homecoming)

This game looks incredibly rough around the edges, but I should give it a fair shot. It might be good. I'll probably check it out at some point.

Vrakanox

Okay I have a question for people who have played it. Is there a limit to how much ammo you can hold? Or can you stock up on it?

Uh.gif

What annoys me in the Gamespot review, at least in the video review, is how fast it is to rip on the Korn song. The song isn't even that bad, and it doesn't interfere with the actual game itself. Reviewers can have their opinions and it's obvious that the game has some technical issues and bland combat, but complaining about a song that doesn't play during the game and smacking a 4.5 because it has some framerate problems and some other technical hiccups informs me that I'm simply not on the same page as these guys. And that's fine, people are entitled to what they think, but as it stands the complaints brought up in the reviews don't really sway me.

Watched the Gamespot review. Man, the monster designs are so uninspired and droll. I'm sure they didn't show all offerings, but of the three I saw, just awful. I miss truly disturbing creatures like the Grey Children or the Slurper. Horrific abominations that you would sincerely dread having to encounter and deal with, even if it was to only run from their pursuit.

Vrakanox

What annoys me in the Gamespot review, at least in the video review, is how fast it is to rip on the Korn song. The song isn't even that bad, and it doesn't interfere with the actual game itself. Reviewers can have their opinions and it's obvious that the game has some technical issues and bland combat, but complaining about a song that doesn't play during the game and smacking a 4.5 because it has some framerate problems and some other technical hiccups informs me that I'm simply not on the same page as these guys. And that's fine, people are entitled to what they think, but as it stands the complaints brought up in the reviews don't really sway me.

I think IGN was the 4.5 and Gamestop was the 7.5.

I think IGN was the 4.5 and Gamestop was the 7.5.

I know, Gamespot scored it much higher. I was just pointing out how that was kind of obnoxious to me, that one of the first points of concern was the Korn song that doesn't have any impact on the game whatsoever.

I did sort of mix my thoughts on IGN's and Gamespot's reviews together, so I'll take a hit for not organizing my thoughts better.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MyEpitomeCliché;35955713 said:
Watched the Gamespot review. Man, the monster designs are so uninspired and droll. I'm sure they didn't show all offerings, but of the three I saw, just awful. I miss truly disturbing creatures like the Grey Children or the Slurper. Horrific abominations that you would sincerely dread having to encounter and deal with, even if it was to only run from their pursuit.
Agreed. The monster designs are not great at all.

At least they didn't simply re-use previous monsters, though. This game appears to be a wholly original work rather than a Western take on previous games (ala Homecoming).

What? :p I felt genuinely sorry for Alex after he
witnessed the violent deaths of both of his parents (and in his mom's case, his refusal to end her life causing her extreme pain), his extremely depressing childhood and the accident that had him lobotomized and locked up in an asylum

I didn't feel bad for James at all.

Speaking of enemies and how they are all orignal in this one. I'm curious to the few that have been playing this. I don't want spoilers obviously but are the bosses grotesque or have any more imagitive design to them or they pretty similar in looks compared to the regular enemies?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Speaking of enemies and how they are all orignal in this one. I'm curious to the few that have been playing this. I don't want spoilers obviously but are the bosses grotesque or have any more imagitive design to them or they pretty similar in looks compared to the regular enemies?

Tackling the boss questions without spoilers is a bit difficult, in big part since the bosses mostly appear towards the end of the game and what they are delves into quite a few spoilers. But I can say that every enemy in the game is based off of humans, even the bosses. Given some look more human than others. And there's one boss in particular that's really pushing what might be considered 'human'... I guess I'll note it, but mind you, BOSS SPOILERS.

One of the bosses is REALLY big, like bigger than a five story building, and it's skin is oozing like liquid and it has these mechanical limb-things that are seeping into it's body.

That and the (minor small enemy spoiler)
Wall Corpses and Dolls
are probably the least human-looking things in the game.

You're not supposed to. At least not in a straightforward sense.

James
probably
got what he deserved. still really hurt the game for me to be playing as a character i couldn't emotionally connect with. just putting us through the same experience didn't make me care for that stupid asshole one bit.

it's weird because i'm totally okay with unlikeable protoganists in other media, and i'm totally okay with playing as a convicted criminal in Downpour on paper. there can be something redemptive about someone in Murphy's position who knows they did wrong, trying to do good... but we'll see how it pans out, and that wasn't James position at all.

i just find, generally, horror games are undermined by making me play as unlikeable fuck wits who i actually want to see dead. i didn't care about James and his dead wife. he gave me no reason to care about him. Silent Hill, Silent Hill 3, Silent Hill 4, Silent Hill 0rigins and Silent Hill Homecoming all feature main characters i like more than James.

the one i felt the most sorry for? Henry, naturally. maybe a bit of a peeping tom, but if i'd been trapped in my house for days i'd probably peep too, if only to overcome the boredom. his only mistake was moving into the wrong apartment.

Vrakanox

I know, Gamespot scored it much higher. I was just pointing out how that was kind of obnoxious to me, that one of the first points of concern was the Korn song that doesn't have any impact on the game whatsoever.

I did sort of mix my thoughts on IGN's and Gamespot's reviews together, so I'll take a hit for not organizing my thoughts better.

Ah, it's all good. Also I agree with you 100% I could care less about one Korn song being in the game.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
James
probably
got what he deserved. still really hurt the game for me to be playing as a character i couldn't emotionally connect with. just putting us through the same experience didn't make me care for that stupid asshole one bit.

it's weird because i'm totally okay with unlikeable protoganists in other media, and i'm totally okay with playing as a convicted criminal in Downpour on paper. there can be something redemptive about someone in Murphy's position who knows they did wrong, trying to do good... but we'll see how it pans out, and that wasn't James position at all.

i just find, generally, horror games are undermined by making me play as unlikeable fuck wits who i actually want to see dead. i didn't care about James and his dead wife. he gave me no reason to care about him. Silent Hill, Silent Hill 3, Silent Hill 4, Silent Hill 0rigins and Silent Hill Homecoming all feature main characters i like more than James.

the one i felt the most sorry for? Henry, naturally. maybe a bit of a peeping tom, but if i'd been trapped in my house for days i'd probably peep too, if only to overcome the boredom. his only mistake was moving into the wrong apartment.

Seriously? Henry is probably the SH protagonist I like the least of all, simply because he's so completely bland and forgettable, and the game never really even tries to make you give a shit about him. I did feel really sorry for Walter though.

James
probably

sure he killed Mary, but it was about the journey and brilliant storytelling behind it all. you're not supposed to really emotionally connect with James, it was a tragedy. you're supposed to like the character because of his nuances and depth, not so much because he's a likable guy or something. I don't think a protagonist always needs to be lovable per se; he was interesting and complex IMO.

I mean I get where you're coming from, I just saw it all in a different way. James was a dirtbag-- killing Mary and then only really wanting Maria for sex, which said everything about his relationship with Mary and probably why he killed her. I found it to be an incredibly interesting story with an incredibly interesting and super-flawed protagonist.

Seriously? Henry is probably the SH protagonist I like the least of all, simply because he's so completely bland and forgettable, and the game never really even tries to make you give a shit about him. I did feel really sorry for Walter though.
Nothing bland about a guy who keeps only white wine and chocolate milk in their fridge. There's a story to be told there, and I'm waiting for the SH4 prequel to get it.
Walter's the star of SH4, of course you feel strongly about him!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Nothing bland about a guy who keeps only white wine and chocolate milk in their fridge. There's a story to be told there, and I'm waiting for the SH4 prequel to get it.
Walter's the star of SH4, of course you feel strongly about him!

In hindsight, Walter was really the only worthwhile character in SH4. The rest were all completely forgettable :lol

Vrakanox

Henry is the man. Mainly because he reminds me of my best friend. Yes some people really do act like that.

sure he killed Mary, but it was about the journey and brilliant storytelling behind it all. you're not supposed to really emotionally connect with James, it was a tragedy. you're supposed to like the character because of his nuances and depth, not so much because he's a likable guy or something. I don't think a protagonist always needs to be lovable per se; he was interesting and complex IMO.

I mean I get where you're coming from, I just saw it all in a different way. James was a dirtbag-- killing Mary and then only really wanting Maria for sex, which said everything about his relationship with Mary and probably why he killed her. I found it to be an incredibly interesting story with an incredibly interesting and super-flawed protagonist.

i found it to be an interesting story too, but since i couldn't stand the guy i was playing as and didn't care if he died or not, that robbed the game of a lot of the tension that i enjoyed in the first one. in the first one i was trying to save my daughter's life. if i died, she would likely die. in silent hill 2, i'm an idiot who doesn't even know why he's doing what he's doing. 'i know my wife is dead, but i guess i'll go to fucked up mind rapeville any for some reason. why i am doing this?'

not being able to associate with James led me to enjoy the game less than the others, even though on paper it's story is one of the best. on paper Silent Hill 4s story is one of the best too, but that doesn't overcome the many gameplay based issues i had with that game either, if you get what i mean.

Henry is the most innocent of all the SH protagonists. granted it's not Heather's fault that she is what she is, but she still is what she is. Henry, you can call him forgettable if you like, but he was a nice guy that rented an appartment.

would i rather watch a TV show about James than Henry? sure. but i'd rather walk through hell in Henry's shoes than James's. i hope that make sense. i felt so sorry for Henry. he didn't do anything wrong, and had no reason at all to expect to get pulled into the crap he was pulled into. if i knew them both, and had to choose to save one, i'd pick Henry without a moments thought. James is more interesting, but Henry is way more likeable, to me.

While I agree James was an infinitely better lead, its was purposely done in the structure of the narrative and how his journey was told throughout the entire ordeal.

Henry on the other hand, is just a regular person, sucked into a nightmarish situation. He was supposed to be bland, ( although he did show repressed emotions to Eileen ). Henry basically was a "nobody" his entire role was to receive knowledge, and he truly couldn't affect any of the outcomes to the sacraments. He was supposed to "know", then die. However we somehow "broke" the chain of events by overcoming. The Worlds, Monsters, people encountered etc. etc. aren't even built around his mental state, fears or past interactions they are all Walters. Not Henrys in any way.

Lettuce

MyEpitomeCliché;35955713 said:

Totally agree....where are the deformed nurses!!!!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
All of you guys arguing about characters will be glad to know that Murphy has quite a bit of personality. He's actually my favorite protagonist since Heather, in big part since he's definitely not perfect and feels very human. It's a joy to hear him scream in terror and try to talk to people about the strange shit he's going through and frustrated everyone seems clueless.

Top Bottom