• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

I'm saving these codes for when I get my grubby hands on Downpour :lol BTW, where's your avatar from?

Yeah doing the same. It's Chloe Moretz from a kick-ass photoshoot.

What weapons does that code give?

"Pistol 45 and Baseball Bat" the guy on helldescent said. No idea if you have to get them at different lockers or whatever, don't even have the game yet, waiting for it to arrive. Still can't believe it's just the same codes you have to activate like that, reminds me of the "special edition" of black and white 2 where you could just enter completely random numbers and still get your creatures and stuff from the EA site.

Ricker

Ok so I'm going to retry getting out of the diner again this morning,I will even go back one of their lousy save checkpoints and redo all that section to try and find out what I am missing to get that lift going...

Did the stove kettle thing,the code on the window,the key to unlock a door upstairs and got the gun from the puzzle panel(that I have to redo now because the continue game brings me back before that puzzle....I am missing the wires for the lift,couldn't figure out what to do with that after 1 hour of trying

i like that there is a lot of optional stuff in this game that you can completely miss. i like not really knowing where i am supposed to go. it's a feeling i've missed in modern games.

i love going into some really fucked up basement, that i really don't want to be in, and not knowing if i even need to be there.

there are definate issues though. playing on hard puzzles kills the on screen button prompts to interact with stuff, which is cool and all, but it took me five minutes to figure out how to bring down a ladder because i was standing too near to it. i only realised that you need to be a step back from it because i'd started throwing a rock at a basketball hoop and it landed in the sweet spot. when i tried to pick it up, Murphy jumped and tried to grab the ladder and i knew exactly what i had to do at that point.

so there's some clunky stuff for sure, but overall i love the aimlessness of 'escape from silent hill' as a goal.

Cudder

I cant wait to get back to this tonight. I really enjoyed what I played so far, barring the combat. Also did anyone else think that the diner location looks a little familiar? *wink wink*. I was half expecting a red radio to be on the table at the end.

Also someone please comment on my little spoiler a little ways up! Dont tell me I was the only person who discovered that!!

Dizzle24

Ok so I'm going to retry getting out of the diner again this morning,I will even go back one of their lousy save checkpoints and redo all that section to try and find out what I am missing to get that lift going...

Did the stove kettle thing,the code on the window,the key to unlock a door upstairs and got the gun from the puzzle panel(that I have to redo now because the continue game brings me back before that puzzle....I am missing the wires for the lift,couldn't figure out what to do with that after 1 hour of trying
the wires are down there on a barrel or something. Not easily spotted like most other objects. Just search every corner in the basement.

Is there any downside to enabling object and interactive elements flashing in the option menu? It seems a lot of the "I can't find x item" issue may be resolved by doing so. It would take some of the exploratory elements away would be the main downside but just a thought for those having issues finding certain items.

Is there any downside to enabling object and interactive elements flashing in the option menu? It seems a lot of the "I can't find x item" issue may be resolved by doing so. It would take some of the exploratory elements away would be the main downside but just a thought for those having issues finding certain items.

as much as i've been blindly stumbling about (and recognising that i've missed stuff that was optional) i've never felt completely stuck yet personally. not to the point of 'f this, i'm looking at a guide/asking for help on gaf'. though that ladder thing was annoying!

playing on hard puzzles kills object highlighting, i didn't think you could turn it on AND play on hard puzzles. not that i'm going to turn it on eitherway. i love having no HUD or on screen flashing button prompts in survival horror games. love it love it love it.

randomwab

the wires are down there on a barrel or something. Not easily spotted like most other objects. Just search every corner in the basement.

I guess it should be noted that object highlighting is something you can turn on or off in options. If you're having trouble spotting stuff, you could try turning it on.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
i just reached the first pre-order chest, so i'm just at silent hill. 3D seems to work pretty damn well on the 360 version. if there's a resolution drop it doesn't look to be much of one. i'm guessing it's reprojection because even at max it's not uber deep and performance is so dang good... and i know UE3 has that 3D middleware available for it that is reprojection.

sounds like PS3 owners got shafted. there ARE framedrops on the 360 version playing in 3D, but it's 30 most of the time. be interested to see what the framebuffers are in 3D. seems pretty crisp (for console 3D). it's definately higher resolution than Halo Anniversary 3D. not full 720p but not too far off...
Hmm, I dunno about 3D mode, but I've watched quite a bit of 360 footage via Youtube and it seemed similarly choppy at points with loads of tearing.

I did notice with Batman, at least, that playing in 3D changed the appearance of tearing (only appeared in one eye) and the general game felt different and perhaps a touch smoother.

Silent Hill 3, a 2003 PS2 game, had better character models than Homecoming, so personally I wouldn't even call the graphics decent. I played the PC version, and it actually managed to look worse than SH3 PC with all bells and whistles on.
While I DO agree with you, let's be fair to Homecoming here. SH3 was broken up into hundreds of tiny "chunks" which served as rooms. Each room was its own little environment and it was separated from every other room/hallway by a loading screen. There were some larger open areas, but they were pretty limited in scope and did not contain the more advanced graphical techniques.

Homecoming attempted to string things together with much larger locales that allowed you to move seamlessly between rooms and buildings with load screens only popping up between major locations.

It also tossed around plenty of shaders and physics that weren't possible on PS2.

For a current generation game, it was pretty ugly, but it was definitely doing some things that the PS2 games never went for (and could not have handled).

Hmm, I dunno about 3D mode, but I've watched quite a bit of 360 footage via Youtube and it seemed similarly choppy at points with loads of tearing.

I did notice with Batman, at least, that playing in 3D changed the appearance of tearing (only appeared in one eye) and the general game felt different and perhaps a touch smoother.

it *could* be tearing in my left eye which isn't nearly as good as my right, but i usually still notice it and i haven't noticed any. there are frame drops. espescially running around town it skips all the time whenever 'saving' pops up, which as you know is every three seconds if you are hoofing it. i haven't seen anything in the single digits, that's for sure, and when inside it's a lot more stable and generally 30.

really want to see a DF analysis on this one. i haven't seen any clear reprojection artifacts but that could be more down to the game not letting you push the depth to a level where reprojection really starts to become obvious. there is an okay amount of depth, performance in 3D is good, and on my 3DTV crosstalk is practically non existant. obviously on the HMZs it IS nonexistant :)

dark10x

it *could* be tearing in my left eye which isn't nearly as good as my right, but i usually still notice it and i haven't noticed any. there are frame drops. espescially running around town it skips all the time whenever 'saving' pops up, which as you know is every three seconds if you are hoofing it. i haven't seen anything in the single digits, that's for sure, and when inside it's a lot more stable and generally 30.

really want to see a DF analysis on this one. i haven't seen any clear reprojection artifacts but that could be more down to the game not letting you push the depth to a level where reprojection really starts to become obvious. there is an okay amount of depth, performance in 3D is good, and on my 3DTV crosstalk is practically non existant. obviously on the HMZs it IS nonexistant :)
The PS3 version never drops to the single digits or anything (and some sections run fine), but it definitely tears pretty often.

Like I said, in 480p mode, it's 99% stable with no tearing.

The PS3 version never drops to the single digits or anything (and some sections run fine), but it definitely tears pretty often.

Like I said, in 480p mode, it's 99% stable with no tearing.

someone earlier in the thread said they got a drop into the singles at one point. could well have been isolated though.

The Amazon code is much more enticing than the Gamestop one.

Anyone if Easy dramatically changes some of the gameplay?
I'm trying to figure out how to use the dispatch machine to call away the patrol cars, but it's not letting me do anything. Wondering if perhaps that is something I don't need to do?

I'm trying to figure out how to use the dispatch machine to call away the patrol cars, but it's not letting me do anything. Wondering if perhaps that is something I don't need to do?

you have to let one of the police cars 'catch' you before the dispatch console will do anything.

dunno if that's the problem you are having. i had that problem on hard puzzle difficulty.

Ricker

I did that because I had them off at first but that didn't help spot what I am missing so far...it`s a very subtle flashing thing so I will leave them on since I'm blind as a bat so far it seems in this game...

randomwab

Have you actually had a car stop yet? That triggered the side-quest for me and it went into Murphy's notebook. As for the dispatch machine, you get a different noise when you enter a number correctly. After entering all four, you'll get an achievement/trophy.

Have you actually had a car stop yet? That triggered the side-quest for me and it went into Murphy's notebook. As for the dispatch machine, you get a different noise when you enter a number correctly. After entering all four, you'll get an achievement/trophy.

you have to let one of the police cars 'catch' you before the dispatch console will do anything.

dunno if that's the problem you are having. i had that problem on hard puzzle difficulty.

Thank you both, that was the problem.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
While I DO agree with you, let's be fair to Homecoming here. SH3 was broken up into hundreds of tiny "chunks" which served as rooms. Each room was its own little environment and it was separated from every other room/hallway by a loading screen. There were some larger open areas, but they were pretty limited in scope and did not contain the more advanced graphical techniques.

Homecoming attempted to string things together with much larger locales that allowed you to move seamlessly between rooms and buildings with load screens only popping up between major locations.

It also tossed around plenty of shaders and physics that weren't possible on PS2.

For a current generation game, it was pretty ugly, but it was definitely doing some things that the PS2 games never went for (and could not have handled).

Yeah, SH3 did benefit from being split up in smaller chunks, as you say. I'll give Homecoming that some of the stuff it did obviously wouldn't be possible in SH3, but for a current gen game, it was still ugly. And some of the character models, especially Alex's mum, had hair that looked like turds that had been slapped on top of their heads.

the fat guy at the beginning has the worst graphics of all time.

Anyway, really liking it a lot so far. The atmosphere is handled exceptionally well and the first otherworld sequence still impressed me even despite the fact that I've seen it so many times. Visuals leave a bit to be desired, but when I'm actually into the game I don't really notice/care because in general it looks okay.

Licht really nailed the Yamaoka style music, even early in the game there are the traditional weird musical "noises" that you'd find in the earlier titles.

Dizzle24

I guess it should be noted that object highlighting is something you can turn on or off in options. If you're having trouble spotting stuff, you could try turning it on.
Oh, I have it on all right lol. Doesn't really help since it barely "shines" but with the lighting and the fact that the background and usable objects blend together, unless you get realllllly close to them, it doesn't really help. But, I'm a SH vet so I always manage to find everything :)

Combat always seemed like a bit of an ordeal anyway from watching early gameplay vids, but judging by the impressions here, I think it's in my best interest to set combat to easy for my first playthrough. I don't really want to because I appreciate a challenge, but if enemy encounters are gonna end up detering me from all that sweet sweet explorage then it makes sense.

Combat always seemed like a bit of an ordeal anyway from watching early gameplay vids, but judging by the impressions here, I think it's in my best interest to set combat to easy for my first playthrough. I don't really want to because I appreciate a challenge, but if enemy encounters are gonna end up detering me from all that sweet sweet explorage then it makes sense.

i'm playing on normal combat, and i wish i'd picked easy. i've only died once in combat, but easy would reduce the time i spend in combat, whether by reducing the enemies or how many hits needed to kill them. it's just not remotely fun or thrilling or scary or rewarding.

eXistor

For all of its warts, I'm genuinely engaged in its story and the stronger points of the experience. I *WANT* to explore the town and I want to find out the secret behind Murphy being drawn to Silent Hill. I'm actually excited to play this based on what Vatra has established early on and that's a good sign.

This right here is why I think I'm gonna love the game. I'm very willing to look past flaws if the parts that matter are solid.

thabiz

Is there a confirmation that surround sound is in the game?

I played for about an hour last night, and it is definitely 2.0. Receiver reports 5.1 DD, but only the fronts are active. Is this a bug?

I cant believe they would release a game in 2012, with only DD 2.0.

Cudder

I have to admit, the screamer ladies freak the hell out of me. Especially when you charge into a room and one is just there waiting for you..

Also, when I returned to the basement in the very first location in the game,
one was following me down the stairs and i had no idea until the camera zoomed out a bit and saw something moving behind me.

Just played the first 2 hours of Downpour. I must say, they've created some beautiful atmosphere with this entry into the franchise.

I was very critical of Homecoming when I first played it, but none of these criticisms seem to arise here. I like that the music is Silent Hill inspired, the locations are dreary and intricate, and despite what IGN claims the presentation is not "simply a mess".

Very pleased so far, happy that the developers didn't phone this one in, and am curious what a playthrough on hard/hard will be like.

I have to admit, the screamer ladies freak the hell out of me. Especially when you charge into a room and one is just there waiting for you..

Also, when I returned to the basement in the very first location in the game,
one was following me down the stairs and i had no idea until the camera zoomed out a bit and saw something moving behind me.

i like how they leap at you and you have to shake them off. it's a cheap scare, but it gets me. visual design wise though, they do nothing for me.

spoiler about another memorable basement relatively early on:
that invisible shadow thing in the basement with a pistol that turns into a blow up doll when it dies though... what the fuck was that about? that scared the shit out of me, not just in a 'WARGH!' way, but in an 'oh fuck oh fuck make it stop' way.

i'm enjoying it overall. loving the exploration and the atmosphere. it's definately very old school in its survival horror vibe. i guess that's partly why i can over look the combat being so bad. those games regularly had bad combat. it's about the atmosphere and the exploration.

i love not knowing where i need to go, and just having to use environmental cues and exploration to progress. i love running to get inside out the rain. i really love the design of that first dark world, and i hope the subsequent ones are as good as that. plus its got lots of things i love about Silent Hill games, like scribbling on maps and the sound effect it makes when you pick up a health kit.

i'll just have to file this alongside Silent Hill 2 and 4 which i played inspite of the combat. the others, i didn't mind the combat and i sure as hell didn't play them because of the combat... but i've enjoyed other Silent Hill games with bad combat, and i hope to keep enjoying this one.

dark10x

someone earlier in the thread said they got a drop into the singles at one point. could well have been isolated though.
Hmm, I suspect they were talking about those drops that occur when the game spools in new data. It's generally not a big deal, but there are a couple distinct moments when the loading causes a MASSIVE drop for a couple seconds. That's likely what they were referring to.

That is a completely different issue and one that doesn't crop up that often.

lmao

Turns out the Gamestop pre-order code is just a number you type into the in-game keypads!

So here you go for the items. The lockers are located at:

Entrance of Silent Hill after the Devil's Pit
House with Basement on Campbell St.
Pearl Creek Subway (off Laymond Ave.)

Code is 171678

To add to this : the code for amazons items is 353479.

and to add to this :

Rifle and Golf Club = 911977 (best buy). (taken from helldescent)

dark10x

Sounds like this game didn't turn out quite as bad as anticipated.
Aside from its technical problems it's actually shockingly great. The first 30 minutes were disappointing, but once the game starts to ramp up it really becomes engrossing. It's actually a very slow paced and atmosphere but they absolutely nailed the atmosphere.

It feels completely different from any other Silent Hill game to date, however, and I couldn't be happier with that. They've clearly decided to create their own take on Silent Hill rather than cobble together ideas from the first four games.

dark10x said:
They've clearly decided to create their own take on Silent Hill rather than cobble together ideas from the first four games.
Totally agree. It's really what stands out about Downpour in relation to Homecoming or the horrible Origins (easily the worst SH game, IMHO). Those other two games felt like they were doing a Silent Hill impersonation at best. Downpour does its best to maintain the overall "beats" you'd expect fro the series but happily does its own thing and doesn't feel like a cheap knockoff in the process.

Started really exploring the town this morning and I'm totally engrossed in the atmosphere and exploration. I only wish the enemy design were a bit stronger at this point. They aren't quite as bad as I was expecting after seeing some early footage but they are far cry from the amazing enemy designs in 2 or 3.

dark10x

Totally agree. It's really what stands out about Downpour in relation to Homecoming or the horrible Origins (easily the worst SH game, IMHO). Those other two games felt like they were doing a Silent Hill impersonation at best. Downpour does its best to maintain the overall "beats" you'd expect fro the series but happily does its in own thing and doesn't feel like a cheap knockoff in the process.

Started really exploring the town this morning and I'm totally engrossed in the atmosphere and exploration. I only wish the enemy design were a bit stronger at this point. They aren't quite as bad as I was expecting after seeing some early footage but they are far cry from the amazing enemy designs in 2 or 3.
The enemy designs are nothing special, as you say, but I've actually found some of the encounters to be pretty intense and somewhat scary despite this.

well... you sons of bitches just convinced me.

Bought. Should get it Friday.

My three major concerns were:

-loss of Yamaoka; love his creativity and ambient stuff.
-crap 'combat' that tries to do too much. Origins sucked because of Travis being weak (guy was almost dead after like two hits), bad camera, breakable weapons; Homecoming tried to make the combat too 'involved'. I don't want to fucking juke, block, roll, dodge, tigeruppercut in a Silent Hill.
-another ME TOO! Silent Hill. What I loved about Shattered Memories was how different and somber it was. Homecoming felt like a bad fanfic. Origins, although great in parts, just seemed to run further with the SH1/3 style/design formula. Not very original.

From most of your impressions, it sounds like #1 and #3 are handled well by Vatra and Co. #2 doesn't sound so bad if you play on 'easy'.

I went out to Wal mart at 11 last night, and didn't see in the case. Called over an employee and he walked around and found it on 360, but still not PS3. He checked the system and said they had it on Triple, and disappeared into the back. Came back 15 minutes later and said they made some mistake, there were no copies in the store. I silently walked away, bought some Dr. Pepper and a box of tea, returned to my car and sat and cried

So... Now I gotta wait for work to end so I can check Best Buy :l

so when i finally get this on my ps3, i should play in 480p and set the combat on easy? gotcha.

thanks for all the splendid impressions guys btw. i think this will be a game for me, i can take some technical issues and unfun combat (what would Silent Hill be without this :p) if the atmosphere, characters and story are decent.

dark10x

From most of your impressions, it sounds like #1 and #3 are handled well by Vatra and Co. #2 doesn't sound so bad if you play on 'easy'.
The combat isn't involved at all and you're not THAT weak so yet it still controls better than it did in the original games. I'd say the combat is actually just right for a Silent Hill game.

Ricker

Finally,like Murphy said lol,I'm out of the freaking dinner,I did what was needed before I retried but somehow it didn't work the first time so that's why I was missing an item...

Is it normal that I don't have the gun anymore a little later on? I found bullets but my gun and torch thing are gone...combat is clunky but I left it on normal for now,your health doesn't go down that fast and I have like 6 medpacks,died only once,the first time I fought 3 ennemies at once...

And I am stuck again but I will try and figure it out before asking for help.

The combat isn't involved at all and you're not THAT weak so yet it still controls better than it did in the original games. I'd say the combat is actually just right for a Silent Hill game.

Same here. There are times where you can get overwhelmed by enemies, but its rare. I'm still glad I chose Easy, I've done a lot of uninterrupted exploration which I love. Actual combat really isn't that bad. Just right, as mentioned.

Top Bottom