• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

Raiho

Neo Member
[...]

-crap 'combat' that tries to do too much. Origins sucked because of Travis being weak (guy was almost dead after like two hits), bad camera, breakable weapons; Homecoming tried to make the combat too 'involved'. I don't want to fucking juke, block, roll, dodge, tigeruppercut in a Silent Hill.

[...]

From most of your impressions, it sounds like #1 and #3 are handled well by Vatra and Co. #2 doesn't sound so bad if you play on 'easy'.

I had similar concerns. Since you seem set with concerns #1 and #3 (soundtrack is great) so I'll go into #2 a little. The one thing you listed that I don't think should worry you is Murphy being weak. I'm playing on normal difficulty. I got mauled by the first couple of enemies and it seemed like Murphy just wouldn't die. I was surprised by how many hits I took and didn't need to heal.

The camera has been a problem for me in and out of combat. Sometimes it's positioned poorly and I can't look exactly where I'm trying to look. Sometimes it gets stuck when trying to look around doorways. It's not horrible, but it certainly could be better.

I also don't care for the journal. It feels more difficult going through the memos and stuff than the way the previous games handled it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Any 360 vs PS3 differences? I just want the best version.
By default, both versions seem to suffer tremendously from screen tearing. The PS3 version may run a touch slower, but I haven't done a side by side (just basing that on videos of the 360 version being played versus my experience on PS3).

However, I can confirm that running the game in 480p on PS3 does result in a consistent tear free 30 fps. Not sure if this trick works on 360.

The game is sub-HD to begin with on both systems and uses plenty of AA (producing a soft image) so it actually doesn't look half bad in 480p. It's certainly preferable to tearing and slowdown.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I'm actually really enjoying this game. The IGN review is such a crock of shit, it's not even funny. This is the version of Alan Wake I was waiting for.

Quikies83

Would anyone who has reached the radio building/centennial building help me with one of the puzzles?
i've found the desk where I need to rearrange letter to get the 6 digit combination. I've arranged them to what I thought was correct but it isn't taking it. Could anyone give me the correct combination? I've got 851163 but doesn't work

randomwab

Finally,like Murphy said lol,I'm out of the freaking dinner,I did what was needed before I retried but somehow it didn't work the first time so that's why I was missing an item...

Is it normal that I don't have the gun anymore a little later on? I found bullets but my gun and torch thing are gone...combat is clunky but I left it on normal for now,your health doesn't go down that fast and I have like 6 medpacks,died only once,the first time I fought 3 ennemies at once...

And I am stuck again but I will try and figure it out before asking for help.

Out of interest, is this your first Silent Hill/Survival Horror? It sounds like you're having a tough time with Downpour.

Edit: Could someone who is Photoshop skilled make me an avatar of the following? Just the center section with the eyes included will do, please. Please? ;_;

6iz91.jpg

Eurocult

Only a few hours in, but this is MUCH better than I expected it to be. Definitely a full on Silent Hill game. Almost feels like this is a lost PS2 game that had an HD remake. Loving the atmosphere and music.

The only negative I have is the frame rate is all over the place (PS3 version). Regarding the 408p trick on the PS3: I tried it, but it wouldn't display in widescreen. Is that right?

Ricker

Out of interest, is this your first Silent Hill/Survival Horror? It sounds like you're having a tough time with Downpour.

Haha,nope been there from the start,always struggled though,never finished 4 because I thought it was too hard and enjoyed Homecoming...couldn't stand SM because of the chases and the awful save sytem,which downpour has also so even though I like it so far,I will probably lose patience at one point because of the save sytem and just stop...

So why is my gun gone? is this normal?

randomwab

Haha,nope been there from the start,always struggled though,never finished 4 because I thought it was too hard and enjoyed Homecoming...couldn't stand SM because of the chases and the awful save sytem,which downpour has also so even though I like it so far,I will probably lose patience at one point because of the save sytem and just stop...

If you didn't drop it, then the game might have took it away from you at a certain part. Do you still have your flashlight?

i presume you lost them when the bridge collapsed just after the cable car ride and you had to pull yourself up by alternating the shoulder buttons. in that case, yes. you will have the oppurtunity to find others later.

dark10x

Only a few hours in, but this is MUCH better than I expected it to be. Definitely a full on Silent Hill game. Almost feels like this is a lost PS2 game that had an HD remake. Loving the atmosphere and music.

The only negative I have is the frame rate is all over the place (PS3 version). Regarding the 408p trick on the PS3: I tried it, but it wouldn't display in widescreen. Is that right?
When you select 480p the PS3 will ask you if you want 4:3 or 16:9. Select 16:9 and make sure your TV is set to fill the screen. It'll work fine.

Ricker

If you didn't drop it, then the game might have took it away from you at a certain part. Do you still have your flashlight?

Nope,that is gone also...I'm a little after looking through those tourist binocular things:

Trying to go to the caverns,I did the water thing with the wood and the bi Wheels to drain the water from another area,went there and that is where I picked up some ammo but my gun and flashlight(torch)is gone from my inventory...there is a red switch behind a wired fence downstairs from the water wheels but I can't do anything with that,so I am stuck in there.

dark10x

Nope,that is gone also...I'm a little after looking through those tourist binocular things:

Trying to go to the caverns,I did the water thing with the wood and the bi Wheels to drain the water from another area,went there and that is where I picked up some ammo but my gun and flashlight(torch)is gone from my inventory...there is a red switch behind a wired fence downstairs from the water wheels but I can't do anything with that,so I am stuck in there.
Those water wheels are the key to the puzzle.

I lost my flashlight as well, though.

you lost them when
that bridge broke on the way into the caverns shortly after you met the weird guy.

Fired this up last night for 360. I'm really mixed on all of it so far. I'll play more tonight, but I'm honestly not sure this will keep my attention when I have Mass Effect 3 sitting there, waiting to be finished. And FYI, I'm playing on Hard (with Hard puzzles).

First, the positives. It's a visually good looking game. It's not top of the line awesome looking, but it has atmosphere in spades, which is nice. Creepy places are creepy, non-creepy places aren't. Simple enough. It's pretty to look at. Secondly, the game has great audio design. This goes into the whole atmosphere thing, but audio is pretty spot-on so far. Lastly, really digging the story. I'm only a couple hours in, but I'm interested in what's happening and eager to learn more. The puzzles are good so far, too, but I've only run into a handful of them so far and they've been pretty easy.

Bu then there are the negatives, actually negative. I just can't seem to get into the combat. It feels stilted, clumsy and unresponsive. Combat actions seem about a second behind when you actually press the button, which is frustrating. I get the idea behind weapon wear and breaking, but only being able to hold one at a time is just ridiculous. Really, I can't carry around an axe and a small knife simultaneously? Yet, I can carry around a plethora of items? Also, a small issue, but the framerate is a bit wonky on 360, mainly when auto-saving or loading new areas. It's not a huge thing, but I've had to become an issue when running from enemies, only to suddenly have everything lock up for a second.

Gonna give the game another shot tonight to see if I can hit that sweet spot where everything starts to click. I'm hopeful.

UrbanRats

Edit: Could someone who is Photoshop skilled make me an avatar of the following? Just the center section with the eyes included will do, please. Please? ;_;

6iz91.jpg

Ok?

Goddamn that pic, that part is one of the reasons I have never finished SH4 eventhough I have played through SH1-3 multiple times.

It manages to freak me out every time.

Would anyone who has reached the radio building/centennial building help me with one of the puzzles?
i've found the desk where I need to rearrange letter to get the 6 digit combination. I've arranged them to what I thought was correct but it isn't taking it. Could anyone give me the correct combination? I've got 851163 but doesn't work

851136*

it's had some very memorable moments so far for what i have played. nothing quite so visually creepy though, but so far i would nominate:

BOOOOORN FREE
endless stairwell
invisible basement monster

I don't want to click spoilers :/ so I'm guessing that the scares/creep factor is more low key/subtle/less outlandish then? It's kind of hard to tell from the number of screens and videos I've seen depicting the same locations. I'm glad cause I go in a bit blind that way, but I'm just curious how it stacks up to Team Silent's efforts

I don't want to click spoilers :/ so I'm guessing that the scares/creep factor is more low key/subtle/less outlandish then? It's kind of hard to tell from the number of screens and videos I've seen depicting the same locations. I'm glad cause I go in a bit blind that way, but I'm just curious how it stacks up to Team Silent's efforts

For me it's very somber, oppressive sometimes. It's excellent, just right for an SH game.

Spoiler, just a reference, non-story related

Did anyone visit enter Henry Townshend/Walter Sullivan/Room 302 apartment yet? It was pretty neat.

i'll say this, from an art design standpoint, the game is good, but it's not Team Silent good, but it doesn't really try to ape team silent in the ways that some of the other entries do. sound design is excellent, real world locations are excellent, the dark world is excellent, and the overall atmosphere is excellent, but there isn't much that's going to have you disturbed just to look at it as some locations and previous enemy designs did.

but the things it does well, do often come together to create a 'moment' that'll give you chills that you won't soon forget. you just couldn't convey it in a screenshot as you could some of the things Team Silent did so well.

randomwab

For me it's very somber, oppressive sometimes. It's excellent, just right for an SH game.

Spoiler, just a reference, non-story related

Did anyone visit enter Henry Townshend/Walter Sullivan/Room 302 apartment yet? It was pretty neat.

Yeah. I grinned. Pity there wasn't more to it.

This is too much positivity in a Silent Hill thread - it's making me uneasy. I'm waiting for the metaphorical roof to cave in.

nah. there isn't too much positivity, most of us at least *like* most of the games, and this definately fits in amongst the canon. fireworks won't go off until people start suggesting that it's better than any of the first four.

it's a silent hill game. it has massive flaws (as all but the first do) and massive strengths. it makes sense that those of us that liked previous games despite similar faults like this one for it's similar strengths.

things really only go to shit when the comparisons and ranks come out. i think we were all fearing that this would be the worst game to carry the name. whether or not we can agree on what the worst game is, i think we can agree that this ISN'T it.

i mean, some of us feel the combat is garbage in this, and some defend it. the technical complaints are valid. the enemy design complaints are pretty much universally agreed on. but if all we cared about was gameplay and tight controls with great production values and weren't prepared to look past numerous issues... well... we'd have stopped buying Silent Hill games a long fucking time ago. most of us here have played most of the other games, or at the very least are people looking for a true survival horror title in a generation that is incredibly lacking them, and again if you like survival horror as a thing, you're totally prepared to put up with the complaints i listed if the atmosphere is there, the story is good, and the game is scary.

Dascu

It has the advantage of not being terrible (like Homecoming) and not being too different (like Shattered Memories).

So, impressions on the game vary from mediocre to good. Which is better than some of us, myself included, had expected. Good work Vatra.

Teknoman

well... you sons of bitches just convinced me.

Bought. Should get it Friday.

My three major concerns were:

-loss of Yamaoka; love his creativity and ambient stuff.
-crap 'combat' that tries to do too much. Origins sucked because of Travis being weak (guy was almost dead after like two hits), bad camera, breakable weapons; Homecoming tried to make the combat too 'involved'. I don't want to fucking juke, block, roll, dodge, tigeruppercut in a Silent Hill.
-another ME TOO! Silent Hill. What I loved about Shattered Memories was how different and somber it was. Homecoming felt like a bad fanfic. Origins, although great in parts, just seemed to run further with the SH1/3 style/design formula. Not very original.

From most of your impressions, it sounds like #1 and #3 are handled well by Vatra and Co. #2 doesn't sound so bad if you play on 'easy'.

• Its got the same Silent Hill "Booloop" item pick up noise, and the music is actually pretty reminiscent of Yamaoka's stuff, yet still sounds like Licht added his own touch. The combat isnt that bad although it does seem harder to run away than past Silent Hill games.
  • The weapons dont seem breakable and it has a true survival feeling to it, since you can actually only use weapons that most normal people would try to use/can throw them at enemies. Although it does seem strange that you can still punch enemies...even though you dont really want to since it seems to not do much damage.
  • Murphy's otherworld really seems original since it's got elements of rust, but also strange room arrangements (they really took the MC Escher inspiration to heart) and water placement (there was a small body of water on the ceiling at some point) makes it feel like a good mix of new and old. I still miss Ito's enemy designs.

All things considered, it really is a true survival horror game. I also like how you can peek inside doors like Shattered Memories, and this time you may actually need to.

nah. there isn't too much positivity, most of us at least *like* most of the games, and this definately fits in amongst the canon. fireworks won't go off until people start suggesting that it's better than any of the first four.

it's a silent hill game. it has massive flaws (as all but the first do) and massive strengths. it makes sense that those of us that liked previous games despite similar faults like this one for it's similar strengths.

things really only go to shit when the comparisons and ranks come out. i think we were all fearing that this would be the worst game to carry the name. whether or not we can agree on what the worst game is, i think we can agree that this ISN'T it.

i mean, some of us feel the combat is garbage in this, and some defend it. the technical complaints are valid. the enemy design complaints are pretty much universally agreed on. but if all we cared about was gameplay and tight controls with great production values and weren't prepared to look past numerous issues... well... we'd have stopped buying Silent Hill games a long fucking time ago. most of us here have played most of the other games, or at the very least are people looking for a true survival horror title in a generation that is incredibly lacking them, and again if you like survival horror as a thing, you're totally prepared to put up with the complaints i listed if the atmosphere is there, the story is good, and the game is scary.

I'm just talking comparatively is all. I can't remember the last time I browsed a NeoGAF thread concerning Silent Hill and found it to be a pleasant read!

• The weapons dont seem breakable and it has a true survival feeling to it, since you can actually only use weapons that most normal people would try to use/can throw them at enemies. Although it does seem strange that you can still punch enemies...even though you dont really want to since it seems to not do much damage.

most melee weapons, if not all, are definately breakable. i'm playing Normal combat difficulty. i never kept a wrench long enough to know if those are breakable or not though.

Murphy's looping arm punches make me laugh. some of the worst punching technique i've seen in a game. seriously Murph, punching power comes from the legs, hips and shoulders, not from swinging your fist like it's a sledgehammer.

AH!! I was close. Thanks a lot!

No problem, took me a while too and had the same issue :)

Yeah. I grinned. Pity there wasn't more to it.

Same here, would have been really fun. Hope there's more stuff like that.

I can't stress enough; for people starting the game, if you a) aren't concerned about getting combat trophy right away, b) not interested in dealing with loads of enemies and their tactics, and c) want to experience the game mostly unchallenged (though there still are times...) pick Easy combat/Hard puzzles. Feels so good.

Vrakanox

Am I going to lose all my weapons again later in the game? I'm wondering if I should be spending so much time exploring and gathering things.

Teknoman

most melee weapons, if not all, are definately breakable. i'm playing Normal combat difficulty. i never kept a wrench long enough to know if those are breakable or not though.

Murphy's looping arm punches make me laugh. some of the worst punching technique i've seen in a game. seriously Murph, punching power comes from the legs, hips and shoulders, not from swinging your fist like it's a sledgehammer.

lol yeah he punches with the side of his fist...how'd he survive in prison that long?

Quikies83

I'm between 4 and 5 hours in.. I've really only HAD to fight maybe 4 or 5 times. I normally run like hell from those giant white ceiling-walkin fucks. I'm also playing on normal difficulties.

lol yeah he punches with the side of his fist...how'd he survive in prison that long?

Maybe has soft hands and a purdy mouth?

- Thanks for the explanation guys. Somber and oppressive is definitely nice sounding. So many people have chimed in about the atmosphere. I saw things like, as good as Bioshock, better than Dead Space, bandied about, and was just curious how it stacked up to the games of old. The details about the Otherworld sound interesting too, Escher-esque levels is a pretty clever take that I'm surprised hasn't been explored til now. I feel better about buying at full price now

KorrZ

You know the clunky combat almost adds to the tension for me, it really promotes their whole "fight or flight" thing. Everytime I come across a battle it really is a freeze frame moment of "oh shit..do I try to kill these guys? or haul ass?" especially those white dudes who jump on the ceiling.

I miss my gun :( I was trying to save it for when I needed it and of course you just lose it.

Wanchan

I don't mind the clunky combat but the "running sequence" are stupid, not fun, frustrating and uninteresting.

I'm stuck at the one
after the penitentiary
, running in circle since 10mins, can't find a way out...the directions are not obvious at all like the previous ones..it's annoying at best.

CAW

I think Dusk Golem said that after completing the game and completing 4 of the 14 side-quests, he had amassed 14 hours of playtime. So it's a decent-sized game.

Oh cool, that sounds pretty decent. Much better than 8 hours anyway. Have you heard much about the quality of the side quests?

pa22word

To anyone with the 360 version (or whom is just curious): ever since I dropped the res to 480p the game hasn't had much if any framerate issues outside of the usual stuttering when quicksaving and/or when streaming a new area (UE thing, prolly unavoidable if I were to guess). Tearing is pretty rare too, and I don't know if it's purely coincidental due to the different areas or what, but it seems to have eradicated my framerate issues and the game has kept at a stable 30 FPS.

I don't mind the clunky combat but the "running sequence" are stupid, not fun, frustrating and uninteresting.

I'm stuck at the one
after the penitentiary
, running in circle since 10mins, can't find a way out...the directions are not obvious at all like the previous ones..it's annoying at best.

I agree, the chase sequences are my least favorite, but Otherworld exploration/puzzles are great. I'm just not a fan of the chase stuff, never was in SMem as well.

Top Bottom