• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

i just reached the first pre-order chest, so i'm just at silent hill. 3D seems to work pretty damn well on the 360 version. if there's a resolution drop it doesn't look to be much of one. i'm guessing it's reprojection because even at max it's not uber deep and performance is so dang good... and i know UE3 has that 3D middleware available for it that is reprojection.

sounds like PS3 owners got shafted. there ARE framedrops on the 360 version playing in 3D, but it's 30 most of the time. be interested to see what the framebuffers are in 3D. seems pretty crisp (for console 3D). it's definately higher resolution than Halo Anniversary 3D. not full 720p but not too far off...

in game videos look really poopy and low quality compared to gameplay.

so far, i'm really enjoying it. just going to get into town properly and call it a day.

naturally, the combat is GARBAGE. maybe some day a silent hill game will have decent combat (though i never want the focus to be on combat). most everything else so far seems good :)

RedAssedApe

Banned
I received the game today and only played about two hours thus far (enough to activate the Skytram and pass the starting area). The technical problems are once again worth mentioning. It really is a bit of a mess. The framerate is all over the place the more you progress and it takes the worst hit in the outdoor areas. It also suffers from the texture pop-in we've become so familiar with for games that use the Unreal Engine. More proficient developers are able to reduce how noticeable it is or make it disappear entirely. Vatra isn't that developer. You can tell this is a team that hasn't had much of any experience with the Unreal engine and that's a shame, really. Even with the added time, they weren't able to correct these issue so I shudder to think what the state of the game was before the delay.

Having laid that out on the table, it's a frustrating problem because underneath the technical problems appears to be a pretty damned good Silent Hill game so far! The atmosphere is just drenching from every location and the music is spot on (Thank you Daniel Licht!). I was actually creeped the hell out exploring the motel! Something I truthfully haven't felt since Silent Hill 3 (the subway *shudder*).

The first time you're launched into the otherworld is wonderfully executed, too. Murphy distinguishes himself by being the first Silent Hill protagonist that actually comments on how things are spinning out of control. "What the hell is going on!?" he yells. Or "Christ, I'm losing my mind" he proclaims half in tears. The Otherworld is a combination of what we're familiar with in the first three games with an insane Andy Warhol painting. The chase sequences here are actually tense thanks to the level design (something Shattered Memories failed miserably at) and make for a nice change of pace from the slower exploration segments.

Most importantly, the game is a complete throwback to survival horror of old. Puzzles and exploration are the name of the game. It won't take long until your solving obscure riddles and exploring endless rooms and buildings. Thank god, too because the combat is terrible. It's downright clunky and at times unwieldy! Forgot taking on multiple enemies because you'll find yourself dead more often than not. This works in the games favor in that the enemies are actually menacing but it feels artificial.

For all of its warts, I'm genuinely engaged in its story and the stronger points of the experience. I *WANT* to explore the town and I want to find out the secret behind Murphy being drawn to Silent Hill. I'm actually excited to play this based on what Vatra has established early on and that's a good sign.

Xbox or PS3? Also...I think Heather sort of commented on the strange shit that was going on in SH3...some of the time?

I gotta say...three hours in and this isn't nearly as offensive as I thought it will be.

But it still feels like it's really slow to get started, especially with the story aspect. Three hours in and I still don't really know what's going on.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i just reached the first pre-order chest, so i'm just at silent hill. 3D seems to work pretty damn well on the 360 version. if there's a resolution drop it doesn't look to be much of one. i'm guessing it's reprojection because even at max it's not uber deep and performance is so dang good... and i know UE3 has that 3D middleware available for it that is reprojection.

Is it the same Trioviz 3D used for AC:R and Batman:AC? The one where you can view with some cheap red and blue paper glasses or does the 3D require you to have a 3D TV set?

Quikies83

I gotta say...three hours in and this isn't nearly as offensive as I thought it will be.

But it still feels like it's really slow to get started, especially with the story aspect. Three hours in and I still don't really know what's going on.

Same.

I've made it to the archives/centennial building.. Stuck for now.. I've scribbled a bunch of numbers down on my notepad and can't get any of the combinations to work. Any help?
for the keypad and the vault on the second floor

edit: i'm playing on normal difficulties

Ahasverus

Same.

I've made it to the archives/centennial building.. Stuck for now.. I've scribbled a bunch of numbers down on my notepad and can't get any of the combinations to work. Any help?
for the keypad and the vault on the second floor

edit: i'm playing on normal difficulties
IIRC the numbers are in a dead man's body EDIT: No they aren't they are in a dead man's room in a desk, it's a bunch of paper sheets you have to rearrange.

That part almost made me quit, but, as with every Silent Hill, the best way is just check the map and enter every door.

Vrakanox

Yeah one things for sure about the "looking behind you" is that its actually useful in this game. I don't think I ever used it in SM. Everything is spot on so far though, the music is great and that is saying a lot given what it has to live up to. I have one beef though
I fell off a bridge and lost my gun, my ammo, and my flashlight. Reminded me of Alan Wake and I did not like that. This doesn't happen throughout the game does it?
. Other than that and a few technical issues it looks like Vatra understands what Survival Horror means.

Since they're so hard to deal with, you need to run away most of the time and they seem to follow you everywhere. Looking back at chasing enemies somehow creeps me out a lot.

Yea, playing on Easy may be a cop out but I'm so glad I did. The enemies are manageable even in groups. Especially in SH games, all I want is the story, the puzzles, the atmosphere, the soundtrack. Im not interested in challenging combat.

Quikies83

IIRC the numbers are in a dead man's body EDIT: No they aren't they are in a dead man's room in a desk, it's a bunch of paper sheets you have to rearrange.

That part almost made me quit, but, as with every Silent Hill, the best way is just check the map and enter every door.

Right. That's where I've gotten 6 of these numbers.
8511, 63 are the numbers I've come up with from rearranging letters for 30 minutes.. still no go, lol

So is it closer to SH2 or SH3 in that regard?
; P

Dang it, this thing better price drop quick. I'm gonna go nuts at this rate. Between GAF and SHH, there's only so much temptation I can handle.

henhowc said:
Xbox or PS3?
360 here.

henhowc said:
Also...I think Heather sort of commented on the strange shit that was going on in SH3...some of the time?
Outside of maybe the elevator downward spiral, she never seemed terribly scared or bothered by it. It just sort of was. I always laughed that James had the same reaction in 2. Oh, big guy with a pyramid head and butcher knife the size of my body? No problem!

Murphy's reactions just seem more.... natural, I suppose. Kind of what I'd imagine saying to myself if I found myself in that situation (along with the extra brown shorts and the whimpering in the corner as I curl into the fetal position).

Ahasverus

If you like how he reacts aerly in the game, wait for some escenes in the Hospital, Murphy is unarguably the most human SH character IN HISTORY.

Vrakanox

If you like how he reacts aerly in the game, wait for some escenes in the Hospital, Murphy is unarguably the most human SH character IN HISTORY.

I really like Murphy so far. The stuff he says is like exactly what I'm thinking at those parts. Definitely a good protagonist.

dreamfall

I hate to ask this but does playing on easy affect achievements in any way?

I'm going Easy too! Horror games really scare me a lot; I loved Shattered Memories because of the lack of combat. It's not a casual experience for me, I'm ready for a wonderful narrative!

Cudder

Played for about an hour. (according to the stats screen)

-The combat is pure shit. Not only did I have to use multiple medpacks on the first few fights, but it seems like if you've cornered an enemy into a corner or against a wall, whenever I attack my blows almost ALWAYS hit the wall and leave the enemy free to attack me. Horrendous.
-Playing the PS3 version, and the framerate drops are pretty severe. There is definitely a stuttering problem. Sometimes, for no reason at all (and indoors no less), the framerate will just drop to like 2 FPS for like 3 seconds. I don't understand it at all.
-That said, I liked the intro and the music has been great so far. Voice acting has been OK.
-Actually exploring the rooms is fun, it's still got me going around the perimeter of each room I'm in and seeing if there's anything I can "X".
-Inventory screen should be better handled/organized.

Interested in seeing where it goes from here.

Is it the same Trioviz 3D used for AC:R and Batman:AC? The one where you can view with some cheap red and blue paper glasses or does the 3D require you to have a 3D TV set?

you need to have a 3DTV. it only supports framepacked 3D output. i'm playing on hard puzzles. the dispatch puzzle took ages to trigger for me, i'd been in the police station loads of times before i could do anything in there. not a glitch exactly, but i was literally in town thirty minutes or so before those goals triggered.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but was Amazon suppose to e-mail a pre-order code to unlock something in Silent Hill Downpour? If so did anyone get the code yet?

KorrZ

Is anyone else experiencing some finicky checkpoints? I clearly had the save icon pop up and disappear multiple times within the area but I turned the game off and came back and lost 15 mins of progress, back at the start of the area
Devil's peak on the way to the train after you fall down the elevator
15 minutes isn't a big deal but this ccould be a serious issue going forward. Why no dedicated save points? ugh.

Aside from that issue though, I'm absolutely in love with the game, the frame rate is kind of spotty (mainly when it's saving) but the game just nails Silent Hill's atmosphere and sound design perfectly. The otherworld in this game is truly unsettling. The combat isn't the best, but it's not nearly as bad as you'd think based on the way some people are describing it. I really wish the weapon degradation was slower though, I'm breaking weapons within one fight sometimes...and it's really not fun to run around looking for a weapon while you're getting clawed at by an enemy.

Having not actually played an SH game before... should I pick this up? I generally stick to shooters, though I love the stories in Alan Wake, Dead Space, etc. I like psychological horror films. I've watched those SH recuts on YouTube. I think the narrative looks really interesting, enough to check out, but I'm almost sure that I will get super-frustrated if the combat is as sucky as a few people are implying.

Ahasverus

Man, the combat really is wretched and unfun. I just got to devils pit and Im seriously considering starting over on easy.
You should. If you're already experiencing problems, you'll be eternally stuck later.
Having not actually played an SH game before... should I pick this up? I generally stick to shooters, though I love the stories in Alan Wake, Dead Space, etc. I like psychological horror films. I've watched those SH recuts on YouTube. I think the narrative looks really interesting, enough to check out, but I'm almost sure that I will get super-frustrated if the combat is as sucky as a few people are implying.
I can't think besides SH2 of a better entry point in the franchise. If you're curious, absolutely, then play Sh2 (While it's /better/ its mechanics are dated like 10 years, still enjoyable though!). Combat is bad if you are expecting, well, combat, it's more of a defensive tactic, but it's better to avoid and RUN

You should. If you're already experiencing problems, you'll be eternally stuck later.

I can't think besides SH2 of a better entry point in the franchise. If you're curious, absolutely, then play Sh2 (While it's /better/ its mechanics are dated like 10 years, still enjoyable though!)

Oh, I'm not experiencing problems. I wasn't really in any danger, it's just, well, I can't seem to figure out what determines a hit or a miss or a successful block.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Not to take anything away from Downpour, as I'm sure it'll be at least decent, but as an entry point to the series, I'd say SH1-3 would be the best. If you have a PS3, SH1 is available on the PSN Store. It's obviously very dated by modern standards, as it was released over a decade ago. You could try looking for SH2 and 3 for PS2, Xbox or PC, and there's also the HD collection coming, even if that's admittedly a less than ideal way to experience SH2 and 3. As Ahasverus said, combat in the old SH games is admittedly rather clunky, and in SH1 and 2 you're often better off by just running away rather than fighting. SH3 is a tad more combat-heavy, but nothing too bad unless you play on any of the harder difficulties.

Is it suggested that ou play on easy or normal?

All men play on 10

Personally I think SH games are best with combat set to easy

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is it suggested that ou play on easy or normal?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Man I'm such a little girl when it comes to horror games. Was able to handle Siren, and the Dead Space series though.

I'm really tempted to either rent this now or pick it up later when it there is a sale.

benzy

Turning the camera around only to see the monsters creep up on you gets me every frikking time. So far the mood and atmosphere in this game is awesome. Currently playing on easy and the combat isn't very bothersome.

KorrZ

The monsters in this game are pretty genuinely terrifying, they're sneaky fuckers. Constantly running at me out of the shadows right in my face, jesus christ. Doesn't help that I
lost my flashlight :(
. The sound design in this game is amazing btw, everything from the music to the random noise of water dripping terrifies the shit out of me. Well done Daniel Licht and whoever else worked on the sound.

Teknoman

One thing I wish the new Resident Evil and Silent Hill games would stop doing:

Please PLEASE stop making the load screens have the title of the game, random screen grabs, tutorial info, hints, or whatever, and just make normal load screens that fit with the atmosphere of the game.

Also stop putting the words "loading" on the screens.

Please PLEASE stop making the load screens have the title of the game, random screen grabs, tutorial info, hints, or whatever, and just make normal load screens that fit with the atmosphere of the game.

That's actually part of the Microsoft certification process. If they didn't do that they'd be refused.

Eterniti

I'm about 28 minutes in on the 360 version and
just finished my first chase sequence, then went tumbling down a water slide... whee! and
I have to say that I like this interpretation of Silent Hill so far. The build up to the game proper is pretty good and the soundtrack by Daniel Licht, I feel, is a fitting replacement to Yamaoka's soundtrack. As with most people's experiences, the atmosphere does the series justice and so far the voice acting's good. Is that Troy Baker doing Murphy Pendleton's voice?

Performance-wise, I did see minor screen tears when rotating the camera in some spots and the frame rate dropped a few times. I'm hoping that this doesn't start affecting actions made during enemy encounters (escaping, combat, etc).

But how else would we know?

yiudb.png

So it's been raining all day. I look outside, and its the first time since moving to my new place that it's been foggy, and it's REALLY foggy. I can't see nearby buildings. =\

This happened the day I get Silent Hill 2 and 3 and the day I went to get Shattered Memories there was an enormous blizzard. I feel it's a sign =\

I'm about 2 hours in and was really hating the combat but lovinG tHe story and setting and then I realized that holding left trigger makes it so I can move whilst holding a melee weapon, not just a pistol and that made a BIG difference for combat. Hold left trigger to target/strafe and use right thumb stick and "flick" between targets to aim, x button attack, y is block, right trigger is throw weapon. It's pretty terribly explained in game. While combat still isn't stellar it's not nearly as terrible as my initial impression of me thinking I could only stand there and block in 4 directions and then wildly swing my weapon.

Teknoman

I'm going to bed. The game even freaked my dog out (he was sitting next to me, and kept thinking he saw something down the hallway). Right before this the loading screen flashed the message "Are you sure you're alone?". I like the whole MC Escher inspired otherworld as well. The only thing I dont like is that there arent any actual monsters chasing you when it says "look behind you when outrunning monsters" or something along those lines in the first chase.

So far it seems pretty good, aside from it being darker than usual in really dark areas. I will say I still miss Masahiro Ito's enemy design (only fought one so far, but it seems too similar to something you'd see in Condemned/not really a natural Silent Hill enemy if that makes any sense). Atmosphere and water effects are top notch though, as is the soundtrack.

Btw anyone else hear "....James...curse you..." through the static in one of TVs early on?

lmao

Turns out the Gamestop pre-order code is just a number you type into the in-game keypads!

So here you go for the items. The lockers are located at:

Entrance of Silent Hill after the Devil's Pit
House with Basement on Campbell St.
Pearl Creek Subway (off Laymond Ave.)

Code is 171678

To add to this : the code for amazons items is 353479.

Morue

Okay, just bought it on Planet Axel. Had a 6,99$ coupon so might as well use it. Hope it won't take too long to arrive...

Top Bottom