• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

6iz91.jpg

That is a perfect "u mad?" .jpg if it had the text.

pa22word

I agree, the chase sequences are my least favorite, but Otherworld exploration/puzzles are great. I'm just not a fan of the chase stuff, never was in SMem as well.

I actually like the Sam Raimi's Camera sections =\

The problem with them in Shattered Memories is that it was the only form of gameplay in the game outside of the extremely rudimentary puzzles, so after doing a few of them they started to wear on you. Downpour is much more varied, so the chase scenes stay fresh and don't wear out their welcome.

I'm at the very last section of the game... maybe 30 minutes till the ending, but I didn't want it to end so going to finish it tomorrow.

This game has A LOT of AMAZING fan service... you guys have no idea just keep playing and you will see :)

the lack of brandon83 knob-slobbering for this game now is really letting me down. :/
The ultimate Downpour cheerleader is being awfully quiet...

come on, brando! Increase my hyyyyyyyyyyyyyype!!! :D

Well my playtime has been very limited and I don't want to shit the bed prematurely like I did with Homecoming.

What I can say right now is that it's very atmospheric and spooky with a very tasteful otherworld style. The game isn't ripping off anything else in the franchise. They totally did their own thing it seems. Homecoming felt like it was trying to please hardcore fans without really understanding what the hardcore fans appreciate about the series, and it also copied a lot of (bad) things about the movie.

Downpour feels more modest. It doesn't feel like it's trying to be something that it isn't. So far they're not trying to copy Team Silent's style but rather take notes from it and mold it into something familiar yet unique. There are a lot of Silent Hill-isms without it feeling like a developer that is desperate to try and nail something that other people created, without those other people on the team. A place I'm at right now is incredibly spooky and the music/sound is so Yamaoka that Licht is making it feel like Yamaoka never left.

I also really like Murphy as a protagonist. He's vocal and expressive. He seems to acknowledge what is happening around him, which is a plus-- it's even used to comedic effect at times although I'm not sure that it's intentional. For instance when he's being chased or something, I've heard him screaming. I laughed at it at first, but the fact that this escaped convict is so scared that he's screaming like a bitch, while kinda funny, at the same time reflects just how fucked up of a situation and environment he's in.

There's no way I could rank the game against the other ones yet, but so far I get the impression that if things continue as they are that I will definitely place it higher than Homecoming, Shattered Memories and Origins. I think it will end up alongside Silent Hill 4, if not just a notch below. However a lot of things annoyed the shit out of me about SH4 so time will tell.

Well my playtime has been very limited and I don't want to shit the bed prematurely like I did with Homecoming.

What I can say right now is that it's very atmospheric and spooky with a very tasteful otherworld style. The game isn't ripping off anything else in the franchise. They totally did their own thing it seems. Homecoming felt like it was trying to please hardcore fans without really understanding what the hardcore fans appreciate about the series, and it also copied a lot of (bad) things about the movie.

Downpour feels more modest. It doesn't feel like it's trying to be something that it isn't. So far they're not trying to copy Team Silent's style but rather take notes from it and mold it into something familiar yet unique. There are a lot of Silent Hill-isms without it feeling like a developer that is desperate to try and nail something that other people created, without those other people on the team. A place I'm at right now is incredibly spooky and the music/sound is so Yamaoka that Licht is making it feel like Yamaoka never left.

I also really like Murphy as a protagonist. He's vocal and expressive. He seems to acknowledge what is happening around him, which is a plus-- it's even used to comedic effect at times although I'm not sure that it's intentional. For instance when he's being chased or something, I've heard him screaming. I laughed at it at first, but the fact that this escaped convict is so scared that he's screaming like a bitch, while kinda funny, at the same time reflects just how fucked up of a situation and environment he's in.

Thank you for this super post.

Ricker

The game is good,no doubt about it now...I like the way they did something that is in every SH game but a little different this time around and it was awesome...also some nice surprises in the story,one of the cut scenes I just experienced had a nice bump in graphic for some reason on the characters and the atmospheric music and sound effects are creepy as hell sometimes...if some of you say it gets even better further on(just about 3 hours in) then this will be the best SH for me since SH3.

Just hit the second Otherworld segment.

Amazing.

Definitely awesome, the aesthetic of it is fucking top-notch. My favorite Otherworld.

I actually like the Sam Raimi's Camera sections =\

The problem with them in Shattered Memories is that it was the only form of gameplay in the game outside of the extremely rudimentary puzzles, so after doing a few of them they started to wear on you. Downpour is much more varied, so the chase scenes stay fresh and don't wear out their welcome.

That's true, that was my major issue with it. I guess my issue with the chase sequences is not feeling like I have a clue where I'm going, and then I end up dying and having to start all over again. However, that second run goes much quicker. They're definitely "growing on me" to an extent.

I think my game is bugged out, enemies won't attack me anymore. They face me but quickly walk backwards away from me. It's been like this for almost an hour.

randomwab

I think my game is bugged out, enemies won't attack me anymore. They face me but quickly walk backwards away from me. It's been like this for almost an hour.

It's been happening to me too. Weirdly, they always attack when I'd rather not fight, and always back off if I do. Maybe there's a weird AI thing going on?

I've spent the last two hours just wandering about the town with an axe and a shotgun, seeking out/working on side-quests. It's just fantastic. I love it, and this is the direction I want the series to go now. Small, character/story based vignettes in an open world for you to explore, all connected by a central main character related story. God, make it so.

It's been happening to me too. Weirdly, they always attack when I'd rather not fight, and always back off if I do. Maybe there's a weird AI thing going on?

I've spent the last two hours just wandering about the town with an axe and a shotgun, seeking out/working on side-quests. It's just fantastic. I love it, and this is the direction I want the series to go now. Small, character/story based vignettes in an open world for you to explore, all connected by a central main character related story. God, make it so.

I'm with you, it was happening to me, and I didn't really care because most of the time I want to be left alone. I think having some combat in there is helping create an ongoing tense atmosphere for me though, so it's a good thing.

What I'm still having trouble figuring out is how this game could possibly have good atmosphere and "understand" Silent Hill when they're the same people who got Korn to do a song. I thought it was unanimously decided that since they hired Korn that they're not the kind of people that would do justice to the series.

Oh well, so much for Korn's inclusion indicating that these guys can't make a good SH game. People can be so fucking bitter and cynical about the most irrelevant shit.

What I'm still having trouble figuring out is how this game could possibly have good atmosphere and "understand" Silent Hill when they're the same people who got Korn to do a song. I thought it was unanimously decided that since they hired Korn that they're not the kind of people that would do justice to the series.

Oh well, so much for Korn's inclusion indicating that these guys can't make a good SH game. People can be so fucking bitter and cynical about the most irrelevant shit.

I'm wondering this as well. So overblown, not even funny. I've yet to hear the Korn song, and the fucking score is god damn amazing. So cohesive.

pa22word

@brandonh83

*sigh*

They had nothing to do with the korn song. That was all Konami bigwigs. Hint: it's why it never shows up in game.

I'm wondering this as well. So overblown, not even funny. I've yet to hear the Korn song, and the fucking score is god damn amazing. So cohesive.

The korn song only plays if you leave the game idle for 30 seconds on the press start screen. It never actually shows up in the game.

I mean I get the mindset about Korn and how they're not everyone's favorite band by a long shot, but assuming that they don't understand Silent Hill because of it is only something that a hate train conductor could say. I mean how could you possibly know that? And not only that but whoever came up with the idea may have not actually put any creative input into the game.

It's just blind hatred, a big issue with the SH fanbase. People are so cynical and critical long before they've touched the product and seemingly pour over venues in order to find something to bitch about.

Strawman argument as (at least outside of youtube comments) no one ever said that and it was covered pretty quickly that it wasn't their choice. It's still a laughable decision to sign fucking korn for silent hill and really shows the konami suits should just keep long away from the fucking games, glad to see it got a big backlash, hopefully wont pull shit like that again.

Edit : of course there will be some blind hatred by some people though. But really it's great with the backlash imo, hopefully sent a signal.

Strawman argument as (at least outside of youtube comments) no one ever said that

Nope, I've seen it all over the place. I wouldn't say it if I didn't see a lot of it myself, including here. I've even seen entire message board topics made because of it.

Regardless, even if or when it was said that it wasn't the choice of the creators, people still complained and worried about it. Even when I think it was Devin Shatsky confirmed that it would only play in the game's pre-title screen intro.

Nope, I've seen it all over the place. I wouldn't say it if I didn't see a lot of it myself, including here. I've even seen entire message board topics made because of it.

Alright, I'm also on some silent hill forums and outside of the few down right trolls there I haven't seen anyone say that it shows Vatra couldn't make a good game. That Konami are completely clueless though? Yeah. But well as I said : I am happy with all the negativity around it, don't want shit like Korn in the game, trailers or anything silent hill related, it screams of a desperate attempt at pulling in some fans cause : korn is like scary and dark and so is silent hill.

Edit : Of course doesn't help that devs then goes out and says people who don't like the song are narrow minded.
KuGsj.gif

Alright, I'm also on some silent hill forums and outside of the few down right trolls there I haven't seen anyone say that it shows Vatra couldn't make a good game. That Konami are completely clueless though? Yeah. But well as I said : I am happy with all the negativity around it, don't want shit like Korn in the game, trailers or anything silent hill related, it screams of a desperate attempt at pulling in some fans cause : korn is like scary and dark and so is silent hill.

Sure, I didn't say that everyone said it, but it was a thought that I ran into quite often whenever the news broke. It was just something I remembered and felt like joking about.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Holy shit, replaying and I just noticed in the Radio Station
/Clock Tower Otherworld, the part where you're going down the slide, the two people who you pass crossing bridges above you are Cheryl and Harry Mason.

Holy shit, replaying and I just noticed in the Radio Station
/Clock Tower Otherworld, the part where you're going down the slide, the two people who you pass crossing bridges above you are Cheryl and Harry Mason.

There were some amazing things in that level, especially the Otherworld.

I'm sure you caught the person inside the cage as you rode by in another? It looked like Murphy

Just got back from Best Buy with my copy. Damn man, Max Payne 3 and Operation Raccoon City are coming out this month too... Anyway, I managed to snag the LAST copy for PS3. I dont' know whether Konami are selling via word of mouth, or whether the store just didn't stock too many copies. Installing now, gonna try 720P and if I can't take the technical performance, gonna drop down to 480P :/

I dropped it to 480 and despite it not looking a whole lot worse I didn't feel that the performance was better enough to stick with it.

Interesting... I had my doubts with it myself, but dark10x seemed so certain that it alleviated all technical issues on his copy... Sigh, it's too bad the game is hamstrung with these types of issues, cause it sounds like a lot of genuine intent went into making it

Ridley327

Ended up with a much bigger gift card haul than I was expecting with trade-ins, so I picked this up along with the PSU that I went in for.

Jesus, do I hate these game installs on the PS3.

Interesting... I had my doubts with it myself, but dark10x seemed so certain that it alleviated all technical issues on his copy... Sigh, it's too bad the game is hamstrung with these types of issues, cause it sounds like a lot of genuine intent went into making it

For sure. I feel like with better technical aspects that it could have really been something. IGN's reviewer would have gotten some eye candy propelling the score at least up to an 8 from their 4.5, the screens wouldn't have looked as bad, and even people like myself that is really loving it so far wouldn't have to constantly say "it's good but the framerate and muddy visuals hold it back." It would have been nice to be able to talk praise about it without having to complain about technical issues.

The biggest problem I have there is that the game isn't super great looking, so why does it have an unstable framerate and freezing issues? I know I don't know that much about programming but you would think that a game that doesn't look quite as good as some of the heavy hitters would at least perform well considering that it isn't asking for as much horsepower from the consoles.

It's far from a dealbreaker for me, but the framerate and graphics leave a bit to be desired. Like I mentioned earlier, the fat guy in the intro is the worst graphics of this entire console generation. A true walking shit mountain. I just hope that, by the end of the game, that's all I really have to complain about.

Ridley327

The funny thing is that in one of the original PRs for the game, I recall one of them mentioning Vatra's supposed specialty with UE3.

The funny thing is that in one of the original PRs for the game, I recall one of them mentioning Vatra's supposed specialty with UE3.

It's one of those games that, sometimes you're like okay it looks fine, and then you'll see something that causes acid reflux. Like walking shit mountain at the beginning. It completely took away from that scene. I felt sickened and embarrassed by how horrible it looked.

The good news is that I haven't seen anything that bad since. Not even close.

Cudder

It's one of those games that, sometimes you're like okay it looks fine, and then you'll see something that causes acid reflux. Like walking shit mountain at the beginning. It completely took away from that scene. I felt sickened and embarrassed by how horrible it looked.

The good news is that I haven't seen anything that bad since. Not even close.

Shit mountain? I thought it was pretty bad how quickly the main title came on and left the screen lol.

hopefully i get to be the first one to post the disgonnabegood.gif when TwinPerfect release their review/analysis of this.

regardless of weather or not you agree with those guys, they're quite entertaining.

Fat guy looks like what would happen if Philip Seymour Hoffman was ever rendered by the guys who did Deadly Premonition.

lmao, perfect. Just got through that scene right now. Interesting start to the game. Sorta reminds me of Arkham City. Didn't have too much issues with how he looked, so I guess I won't mind the rest of the game at all if that's the worst I have to look forward to. But man oh man.. Christ on a cracker does Murphy's punching animation blow. Shit is almost as bad as when I saw Nier jump for the first time...

Xander51

Just got back from Best Buy with my copy. Damn man, Max Payne 3 and Operation Raccoon City are coming out this month too... Anyway, I managed to snag the LAST copy for PS3. I dont' know whether Konami are selling via word of mouth, or whether the store just didn't stock too many copies. Installing now, gonna try 720P and if I can't take the technical performance, gonna drop down to 480P :/

Max Payne 3 is not out till May.

I might go pick this up tomorrow. Read some of the spoilers in this thread and it seems like an interesting game. I appreciate that they at least went in some new directions.

Top Bottom