• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

The thing I want to know, despite not owning/playing this yet, is what kind of post-release support will the game have? I know Homecoming's was non-existent, but many years have passed since then. Anyone know if Konami has already cut all ties with Vatra, or is it possible that there might be a patch/update for the game some time in the future?

KorrZ

So I finally made it into the actual town, and proceeded to spend 2 hours just running around checking every corner and doing side missions (I only managed to complete 2, very cryptic, but i love it!). I really like the downpour mechanic, it succeeds in creating a sense of urgency, and the need to get indoors ASAP. The enemies can already tear your ass up normally, when it starts raining hard there are so many spawning you almost have no choice but to run away.

I'm really enjoying this game..more than I ever imagined I would. I hope Vatra gets the chance to make a sequel with a bit more of a budget so they can polish things more. The game was actually sold out at my local EBgames, I got the last 360 copy. So maybe it's doing better than expected? (or they just ordered barely any :( )

I HATE the scrolling in the notebook..any reason they did not just allow free movement for what you want to view?

Third-ed. It makes it almost not worth the effort to try and zoom in on what you're reading, almost better to have to squint and try to read it unzoomed.

Ridley327

Just got to Silent Hill; impressions so far:

-This game is really bad looking
-I guess this is going to be a banner year for horror games that have loading hitches that drop to unplayable framerates
-Combat is quite manageable, especially in incapacitation in the mix, but I think it was a good idea to do that on easy
-Puzzles have been surprisingly involved thus far; I hope the trend continues
-Murphy seems to have awful luck with people on ledges

Teknoman

Are you supposed to
lose the first handgun
you find? Because I dont remember using it up, but after I almost fell, lost everything aside from my lighter.

EDIT: It doesnt look that bad, just average...havent had anything drop to unplayable yet...of course i'm still wandering around the mine.

KorrZ

Are you supposed to
lose the first handgun
you find? Because I dont remember using it up, but after I almost fell, lost everything aside from my lighter.

Yeah that's supposed to happen, I was so annoyed was trying to save it just for it to disapeer t.t

Teknoman

Yeah that's supposed to happen, I was so annoyed was trying to save it just for it to disapeer t.t

Ah cool, thought it was a glitch or something. Also that damn
mannequin
...that was a half oven man reaction lol. First they caught my eye once my eyes adjusted to the dark (black really is black in this game), then bam. Guess I shouldnt have been looking so close.

Cudder

I just got to Silent Hill and I have to say that the arrival was pretty uneventful. I'm not liking the look of the town in this little area I'm in.

The game runs like ASS on the PS3. Before I was getting severe framerate problems every now and then but as soon as I got to the Hill, they're all over the place!

And minor spoilers (has to do with the police side mission)
I was literally running down the street, and a police car comes down the street. I thought this was a triggered event that maybe would trigger a cutscene or something. But I ran up to the car and, honest to God, it fucking disappeared in some weird way that looked like a glitch or something. Then all of a sudden there were a bunch of enemies around me. WTF? shit looked so bad like what happened WASN'T supposed to happen. I'm just really confused..

Also, while solving this side mission where the police radio is, I somehow managed to get the Fight or Flight trophy just by running back and forth in the room between the radio and the chalkboard. No clue how.

Anyways, SO FAR the game has turned slightly for the worse as soon as I arrived in Silent Hill. Devil's Pit had its fair share of suspense and frights, but in Silent Hill everything is just blah :\

Hope it improves.

KorrZ

Man, I really want to 1000 pt this game, but the idea of doing hard puzzles, hard gameplay and kill no enemies all in one playthrough makes me shudder.

I just got to Silent Hill and I have to say that the arrival was pretty uneventful. I'm not liking the look of the town in this little area I'm in.

The game runs like ASS on the PS3. Before I was getting severe framerate problems every now and then but as soon as I got to the Hill, they're all over the place!

And minor spoilers (has to do with the police side mission)
I was literally running down the street, and a police car comes down the street. I thought this was a triggered event that maybe would trigger a cutscene or something. But I ran up to the car and, honest to God, it fucking disappeared in some weird way that looked like a glitch or something. Then all of a sudden there were a bunch of enemies around me. WTF? shit looked so bad like what happened WASN'T supposed to happen. I'm just really confused..

Also, while solving this side mission where the police radio is, I somehow managed to get the Fight or Flight trophy just by running back and forth in the room between the radio and the chalkboard. No clue how.

Anyways, SO FAR the game has turned slightly for the worse as soon as I arrived in Silent Hill. Devil's Pit had its fair share of suspense and frights, but in Silent Hill everything is just blah :\

Hope it improves.

Really? I think the game drastically improves once you get to Silent Hill. I could just walk around, explore and soak up the atmosphere for hours.

Cudder

Really? I think the game drastically improves once you get to Silent Hill. I could just walk around, explore and soak up the atmosphere for hours.

But the atmosphere is just not there, at least in this segment when you first arrive in Silent Hill. The sound mixing is awful, you can barely hear the thunder or rain. Speaking of, someone ACTUALLY approved the *light flash* effect that's supposed to be lighting? It looks fucking dreadful, and I didn't even know what the hell was happening to my screen the first few times it happens.

As soon as you get to SH it pours, spent many minutes just running up and down and up and down each sidewalk looking for a house that didn't have a door that's boarded up or SOMETHING, but I found nothing, so as of right now, when I saved my game to turn off my system, I was STILL in the rainfall outside. I'm not looking forward to resuming my game and instantly having to flee.

I dunno, maybe it's literally by chance that the actions I've taken and where I went as soon as I got to SH have somehow hindered me, or not put me in such a great position to be in.

It just hasn't pulled me in yet.

someone ACTUALLY approved the *light flash* effect that's supposed to be lighting? It looks fucking dreadful, and I didn't even know what the hell was happening to my screen the first few times
I have to agree. Lightning flash is pretty terrible. First time I saw it I thought it was a glitch. I do like the story quite a it sooo far as well as the town itself.

pa22word

As soon as you get to SH it pours, spent many minutes just running up and down and up and down each sidewalk looking for a house that didn't have a door that's boarded up or SOMETHING, but I found nothing, so as of right now, when I saved my game to turn off my system, I was STILL in the rainfall outside. I'm not looking forward to resuming my game and instantly having to flee.

So....you're mad it's doing the same thing Silent Hill 1 and 2 did?

But the atmosphere is just not there,

Oh come on this is garbage and part of me thinks you know it.

The sound mixing is awful, you can barely hear the thunder or rain.

I can hear it just fine, get better speakers or use headphones (what I'm doing)?

. Speaking of, someone ACTUALLY approved the *light flash* effect that's supposed to be lighting? It looks fucking dreadful, and I didn't even know what the hell was happening to my screen the first few times it happens.

I agree with this, to an extent. It's pretty obvious what it was supposed to be given that it syncs with the lightning sound effect, but it doesn't look all that great.

Hayeya

Banned
GAF compared to Homecoming is this game better or worse ? I liked homecoming although it had its issues,
And what the fuck i am hearing about reducing the resolution to 480 P ??
are people forcing themselves to play at half the resolution because the game is a masterpiece or what ?

pa22word

GAF compared to Homecoming is this game better or worse ? I liked homecoming although it had its issues,

Better

And what the fuck i am hearing about reducing the resolution to 480 P ??
are people forcing themselves to play at half the resolution because the game is a masterpiece or what ?

No 480p is closer to the native resolution of the game (for all I know it may be the native res >.>) so the image looks much cleaner at that res due to not being blurred into oblivion by forced upscaling (when you set it at 1080p it looks fucking terrible). I'm guessing (but I don't know) that the performance boost is from the 360/PS3 hardware not having to worry about upscaling the game.

Seriously guys, everyone saying it looks like garbage set it @ 480p. It helps immensely (murphy's face no longer looks like it has vaseline smeared all over it).

pa22word

The image looks worse at 480.

No way. Unless you prefer vaseline smeared all over your screen during gameplay. I'd take image clarity vs blurry mess any day of the week.

If anyone has the comparison shots of Alan Wake PC @ 1080p vs the 360 version upscaled to 1080p I'll show you exactly what I mean. Upscaling is terrible for image quality, and I never really understand why people prefer it.

pa22word

All the people complaining about resolution and dropping to 480p; are you PS3 or 360?

I'm on the 360, and I recommend people drop it to 480p. It (apparently) plays better and (definitely) looks better.

Okay, here's images showing you exactly what I mean:

alan_wake_xbox360_vs_pc_shot02_pc.jpg

alan_wake_xbox360_vs_pc_shot02_xbox360.jpg

Those are the exact same textures, the same! While yes, the lighting is better on the PC anyways, if you set Alan Wake on 360 closer to its native res it looks more inline with the first shot, and nowhere near as blurry.

Truant

For those of who never played Homecoming, here's an amazing Let's Play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frVgHYwd8wM

It's got that "Maximum Movie Mode" from Blurays where an icon pops up near notheworthy stuff, and offers explanations, insights, or just SH trivia by the narrator. You also get to impact how he plays the game, which can even lead to him dying, and you having to press a "Continue" button. It's really well done, and the narrator obviously loves Silent Hill.

Like some guy in the comments section says, it's better than actually playing Homecoming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frVgHYwd8wM

It's got that "Maximum Movie Mode" from Blurays where an icon pops up near notheworthy stuff, and offers explanations, insights, or just SH trivia by the narrator. You also get to impact how he plays the game, which can even lead to him dying, and you having to press a "Continue" button. It's really well done, and the narrator obviously loves Silent Hill.

Like some guy in the comments section says, it's better than actually playing Homecoming.

This seems pretty fucking awesome, will watch it while playing football manager and waiting for Downpour.

Just finished the game in 8 hours and 15 minutes on hard sitting and hard puzzles.

Hmmm, Akira's touchs is missed so badly... And the story isn't Silent Hill worthy, at all :/

And The fog is... Missed also, Homecoming's fog was miles better.

Overall, it's a good game... Solid 7, any SH fan is going to enjoy this for sure :)

I will Platinum it in the summer.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, once you get to Silent Hill, the performance really starts to become a problem. The framerate doesn't dive or anything, but man, it just pauses and hitches constantly while walking around. Feels like total shit.

It's such a shame as I'm actually finding the atmosphere to be surprisingly scary at times. That basement with the woman crying, for instance, was actually really well done and unexpected (I mean, I knew something would happen, but the way they executed it was awesome).

How was this, difficulty wise, overall? I started on hard/hard as well and I'm just hoping I dont't make it 2 hours in or something and regret it and feel like I want to start over.

At first it was really hard... but with time it become easier and easier.

Plus I think both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls had build a Immunity system in me for hard difficulty :p

I don't really understand why people say this after how hard he phoned it in for Shattered Memories, Homecoming (minus the main menu theme), and most of Origins.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the rest of it, though.

Still... he is missed :)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The one thing I like it all of the attention to detail and secrets is making it so I'm discovering a lot of small things each time.

The first time I played through the game I used the viewer on the deck next to J.P. in Devil's Pit to look at the Tram and saw a miniature scene of a bloodied hand inside the tram pressing up against the back window and dragging down, leaving a bloodied hand-mark. The second time I used another view-finder first, the one below after the two Screamers, and it started raining and I saw a creepy scene of the wheelchair guy below in the area where J.P. commits suicide rolling and flashing in and out of reality, and a strange hanged man below swinging back and forth and looking at me.

I like how there's lots of hidden things all around.

pa22word

Please tell me it gets better after the opening. I really don't feel like watching someone woefully ignorant talk about Silent Hill being traditional Japanese horror when all the influences behind the series comes from the west (Jacob's Ladder, Stephen King, Francis Bacon, etc.)

Please tell me it gets better after the opening. I really don't feel like watching someone woefully ignorant talk about Silent Hill being traditional Japanese horror when all the influences behind the series comes from the west (Jacob's Ladder, Stephen King, Francis Bacon, etc.)

He says the opposite in that jacobs ladder opening and even links to the scene from the movie... Now I can't bother re checking but wasn't all he said that pace and psychological was traditional japanese? It's hard to disagree with that even if it also includes western influences. Watched the first part of the LP and it was awesome, very well done with the choices and stuff.

Possible glitch with sidequest ?

Anyone's Pearl Creek tunnel entrance door locked (which was once opened) after handing over the old coat to the man to unlock Chastain Heights? Useless shortcut now because I can't get into the tunnels from Pearl Creek

Also, tried 480P, looks worse for me.

Cudder

So....you're mad it's doing the same thing Silent Hill 1 and 2 did?

SH1 and 2 both had much more space open to you in Silent Hill (so far). There was so much room to breath, to run around, in Downpour I really feel like everything is too claustrophobic and cramped outside.

Oh come on this is garbage and part of me thinks you know it.

I thought everything up until this point was great, actually. Maybe I haven't given it enough time, or maybe it's the fact that I ENDED my play session a few moments upon arriving in SH so I didn't get to spend that much time here. Either way, I still stand by what I said about the sound, graphics, and tech issues get in the way of atmosphere.

I can hear it just fine, get better speakers or use headphones (what I'm doing)?
Or the game is just badly mixed? I mean, the game is in stereo for crying out loud. It's hard to get an atmospheric sound mix with 2 channels as opposed to 6. If it was a deliberate choice to do this in development, it was a terrible one.

dark10x

Possible glitch with sidequest ?

Anyone's Pearl Creek tunnel entrance door locked (which was once opened) after handing over the old coat to the man to unlock Chastain Heights? Useless shortcut now because I can't get into the tunnels from Pearl Creek

Also, tried 480P, looks worse for me.
Of course 480p LOOKS worse. The reason to use it is simply to raise the framerate and (mostly) eliminate tearing.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just got to Silent Hill proper. What a game. I don't understand the negative feedback this is getting. To me, it feels like a very polished Silent Hill.

The only negative aspect are the enemy designs, IMO.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Who's doing Book of Memories OT?

Oh, and this has crap performance on the 360? Plz, don't tell that Ps3 is significantly worse, :( .

dark10x

Yes, but someone was saying it didn't look blurry or something.
I dunno about that, but it's definitely blurry (though the game is also blurry in "HD").

I thought it was a good trade-off, though, as the performance is VERY poor when using the higher resolution.

UrbanRats

I don't really understand why people say this after how hard he phoned it in for Shattered Memories, Homecoming (minus the main menu theme), and most of Origins.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the rest of it, though.
I agree that Yamaoka wasn't in on it anymore, but Homecoming's OST is pretty good.
I love Witchcraft, for example.
Well, although all the major references for SH are western, it's also obvious to me, that they got through an Asian/Japanese.. "filter" (which was inevitable, ofcourse).
This, gave it a very unique flavor, that nobody seems to replicate as good anymore.. the first 3(even 4, to a degree) SHs had a very specific and fortunate alignment of events, that will never repeat again.
Reason why people should get over it and either enjoy the new entries for what they are, or drop the ball on the series and move on.

My 2 cents, anyway.

Teknoman

That lightning flash really is a bad effect. Gotta say i'm missing the static effect for monsters...but the heavy rain is a nice touch.

I agree that Yamaoka wasn't in on it anymore, but Homecoming's OST is pretty good.
I love Witchcraft, for example.

Well, although all the major references for SH are western, it's also obvious to me, that they got through an Asian/Japanese.. "filter" (which was inevitable, ofcourse).
This, gave it a very unique flavor, that nobody seems to replicate as good anymore.. the first 3(even 4, to a degree) SHs had a very specific and fortunate alignment of events, that will never repeat again.
Reason why people should get over it and either enjoy the new entries for what they are, or drop the ball on the series and move on.

My 2 cents, anyway.

I think Yamaoka just needed some fresh air so to speak. Did a great job on Shadows of the Damned.

As for the SH series never being the same again, unfortunately the same can be said for Resident Evil as well. Of course for some thats not really a bad thing.

Top Bottom