• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Downpour |OT| Rain, Rain, Go Away

Cudder

That lightning flash really is a bad effect. Gotta say i'm missing the static effect for monsters...but the heavy rain is a nice touch.

tbh, I think the muddled voices/murmurs the radio in Downpour gives off is much creepier than the white noise in the other games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I asked Brian Gomez on twitter about the Surround Sound issue.

wtf Konami?
It *IS* actually 7.1 (or 5.1) after all.

I've found that it definitely makes use of the rear channels. The issue is simply that it doesn't do it well at all. The audio is very poorly mixed and only a select few effects are even presented as positional audio. Most of the sound plays from the two front channels.

It's not a bug or something they forgot to implement, they simply did a poor job mixing the sound.

Grisby

Went to pick this up today from Best Buy for when I finish Mas Effect. No copies though which I found really odd.

So when I get to it are these side quests worth doing? Or are they any fun?

Cudder

Went to pick this up today from Best Buy for when I finish Mas Effect. No copies though which I found really odd.

So when I get to it are these side quests worth doing? Or are they any fun?

A few people have said that some of the sidequests are awesome in that they give insight into the town's history and are somewhat better than the main story in certain aspects.

Grisby

A few people have said that some of the side quests are awesome in that they give insight into the town's history and are somewhat better than the main story in certain aspects.
Oh, exciting. I like new things so I was hoping they would turn out ok.

Ridley327

The sidequests are pretty cool (the one for the
gramophone
is short but oh so sweet). A shame that exploring Silent Hill itself is jank city.

Ridley327

I do think you're wrong about the digital audio, dark10x; my receiver tells me whenever it's kicked in (Dolby, DTS and LPCM) and I've yet to see anything other than Dolby Pro Logic II.

Truth be told, I don't think Konami was willing to go the extra mile with this game.

randomwab

Finished all but one of the side-quests now, going by the achievements. I spent twenty minutes running around looking for the last, until I finally gave up and looked online. Turns out you can only do it on your second playthrough. Damn. Guess it's time to continues with the story.

A few people have said that some of the sidequests are awesome in that they give insight into the town's history and are somewhat better than the main story in certain aspects.

Nah, they're nothing to do with the history of the town or anything. They're all just small stories of various residents of the town. Still some great ones though.

The sidequests are pretty cool (the one for the
gramophone
is short but oh so sweet). A shame that exploring Silent Hill itself is jank city.

Loved that one. Also really liked the end of the
human heart
quest.

dark10x

I do think you're wrong about the digital audio, dark10x; my receiver tells me whenever it's kicked in (Dolby, DTS and LPCM) and I've yet to see anything other than Dolby Pro Logic II.

Truth be told, I don't think Konami was willing to go the extra mile with this game.
My receiver tells me otherwise. It reports "MULTI CHANNEL IN 7.1" and shows all speakers as being in use. I could also confirm that many sounds were being played discreetly through the rear channels.

Which receiver are you using? I'm currently using a Marantz 5006 connected to the PS3 via HDMI with 7.1 speaker setup.

Ridley327

My receiver tells me otherwise. It reports "MULTI CHANNEL IN 7.1" and shows all speakers as being in use. I could also confirm that many sounds were being played discreetly through the rear channels.

Which receiver are you using? I'm currently using a Marantz 5006 connected to the PS3 via HDMI with 7.1 speaker setup.

It's an old Yamaha receiver; it shows all speakers are in use, as well, but that's what DPLII does.

Out of curiosity, do you happen to have either the GoW 1+2 HD or the Sly Trilogy? Those did not feature digital audio, and I'm curious if they say the same thing for you as SH:D is saying.

dark10x

It's an old Yamaha receiver; it shows all speakers are in use, as well, but that's what DPLII does.
Right, but my setup reports DPLII (or any other "virtual surround mode" of my choosing) whenever multi-channel is unavailable. It's definitely receiving a proper 7.1 audio stream from the PS3.

Out of curiosity, do you happen to have either the GoW 1+2 HD or the Sly Trilogy? Those did not feature digital audio, and I'm curious if they say the same thing for you as SH:D is saying.
Neither of those report multi-channel. They both come up as stereo (which can be used with various DPL, DTS, and other virtual audio options). The receiver treats these very differently than multi-channel. The front display only shows two speakers as active when using DLPII, for instance, despite distributing the audio between all of channels. Downpour definitely shows up differently.

I should also note that I have the receiver handle audio decoding for Blu-ray discs which report DTS MSTR HD or the Dolby equivalent. For games which use multi-channel it reports multi-channel while the 360 specifically displays "Dolby Digital" which I push over to DDEX for the extra channels.

I'm actually kind of an AV enthusiast on top of a gaming fan so I know my setup very well. :)

dark10x

Well, this is a very strange mystery. Why is it showing up as analog stereo for just about everyone else?
No clue. I can snap some photos for you (of both the receiver display and the on-screen menu visible on my TV). The information option actually displays the full detail on what the receiver is seeing over HDMI and it reports multi-channel 7.1.

thabiz

Right, but my setup reports DPLII (or any other "virtual surround mode" of my choosing) whenever multi-channel is unavailable. It's definitely receiving a proper 7.1 audio stream from the PS3.

Neither of those report multi-channel. They both come up as stereo (which can be used with various DPL, DTS, and other virtual audio options). The receiver treats these very differently than multi-channel. The front display only shows two speakers as active when using DLPII, for instance, despite distributing the audio between all of channels. Downpour definitely shows up differently.

I should also note that I have the receiver handle audio decoding for Blu-ray discs which report DTS MSTR HD or the Dolby equivalent. For games which use multi-channel it reports multi-channel while the 360 specifically displays "Dolby Digital" which I push over to DDEX for the extra channels.

I'm actually kind of an AV enthusiast on top of a gaming fan so I know my setup very well. :)

It is in Dolby Digital on 360 also, except its just routing the fronts to the rears. Dolby Digital is definitely being sent to the receiver. You can really hear it in the shower scene at the very beginning. The guys voice is equal through all 5 speakers. Driving me nuts, and i think i'm just going to shelf this one.

If they couldn't put the effort into a proper 5.1 mix (its 2012, absolutely zero excuse for this!), why should i put the effort into playing it.

Neither of those report multi-channel. They both come up as stereo (which can be used with various DPL, DTS, and other virtual audio options). The receiver treats these very differently than multi-channel. The front display only shows two speakers as active when using DLPII, for instance, despite distributing the audio between all of channels.

My receiver is reporting that all 7.1 channels are receiving audio but when you listen to them closely and pan the camera around the sound isn't particularly directional. Maybe they're sending stereo or some virtual surround to all channels.

Try positioning the camera near a waterfall or other noisy object and pan the camera around in a circle. Seems to simply switch from left to right with a little bit of volume fading. No sounds ever sound like they're behind you.

I only tested this is a few places. The game does sound really good though.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm playing on the 360, and it registers on my receiver as Dolby Digital.

I definitely notice full 5.1 all the time. Doors closing behind me scare the crap out of me.

dark10x

My receiver is reporting that all 7.1 channels are receiving audio but when you listen to them closely and pan the camera around the sound isn't particularly directional. Maybe they're sending stereo or some virtual surround to all channels.

Try positioning the camera near a waterfall or other noisy object and pan the camera around in a circle. Seems to simply switch from left to right with a little bit of volume fading. No sounds ever sound like they're behind you.

I only tested this is a few places. The game does sound really good though.
That's what I said earlier. Most sounds are NOT positional (waterfalls, for instance) but there are actually some which DO properly play in rear channels. It's poorly mixed.

I'm playing on the 360, and it registers on my receiver as Dolby Digital.
Unlike PS3, 360 *always* reports DD5.1 even if the game is only sending stereo. PS3, however, can send a number of different audio formats.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Unlike PS3, 360 *always* reports DD5.1 even if the game is only sending stereo. PS3, however, can send a number of different audio formats.

Oh, right. Well, I definitely have noticed a lot of sounds coming out of my rear channels. I haven't tried the waterfall, but monster barks definitely seem to be coming out of the rear as well.

Ridley327

That's what I said earlier. Most sounds are NOT positional (waterfalls, for instance) but there are actually some which DO properly play in rear channels. It's poorly mixed.

Is it possible that the PS3 version has a lossless 7.1 track? It would go a long way to explaining the differences that people are seeing if their receiver can't support that stream.

thabiz

If this is indeed the case, then one of the worst sound mixes in YEARS!!!!

pa22word

To all the guys with surround sound setups: why don't you guys just disconnect all of your speakers except two of them and roll with stereo for the game? Yes Yes, I know I know. "I didn't spend x amount of money on this system to play in stereo!" and all, I get that, I really do. But if there's functional problems with it in the game then why not just play in stereo?

Also, please don't take this as me disregarding your complaints. Not bothering to set up the game's audio for 5.1 is indeed inexcusable. I just don't see how it's game-breaking.

Well, although all the major references for SH are western, it's also obvious to me, that they got through an Asian/Japanese.. "filter" (which was inevitable, ofcourse).
This, gave it a very unique flavor, that nobody seems to replicate as good anymore.. the first 3(even 4, to a degree) SHs had a very specific and fortunate alignment of events, that will never repeat again.
Reason why people should get over it and either enjoy the new entries for what they are, or drop the ball on the series and move on.

My 2 cents, anyway.

Except he tried to generalize western horror under the Dead Space blood gore bullshit, which is even more insane as he goes on to praise Amnesia....which is itself a Western horror title.

I agree that Silent Hill 1-4 had it's own unique feel and all, but trying to write off western horror because Homecoming was a weak entry seems to me as a misguided attempt at directing hate on something you don't really understand.

Ridley327

If this is indeed the case, then one of the worst sound mixes in YEARS!!!!

Sadly, bad sound mixing isn't even new for the franchise; Origins has one of the glitchiest audio tracks I've ever heard. There's points where it drops everything but the music and the only thing you can do is reset the game.

To all the guys with surround sound setups: why don't you guys just disconnect all of your speakers except two of them and roll with stereo for the game? Yes Yes, I know I know. "I didn't spend x amount of money on this system to play in stereo!" and all, I get that, I really do. But if there's functional problems with it in the game then why not just play in stereo?

or do what i do for any horror game that is only in stereo. throw on some headphones. horror + headphones is great. doesn't feel like a concession. i was playing with my HMZ-T1 head set. awesome way to play the game and completely side steps the lack of surround sound.

This is true, some really cool sidequests in the game. The game really improves/opens up after the first few sections, which weren't my favorite at all. It's a shame to hear there are issues with the sound mixing. On one hand, KONAMI is out of line not doing it properly (it sounds like it was out of VATRA's control), but the developers should be rewarded because the game is one probably the best non-Team Silent entries IMO. Hope more people come around and give it a shot and do their best to ignore some of the obvious technical issues.

I keep saying it but I'd really love to see the game on PC, would double-dip in a heart beat.

thabiz

Also, please don't take this as me disregarding your complaints. Not bothering to set up the game's audio for 5.1 is indeed inexcusable. I just don't see how it's game-breaking.

It's not gaming breaking, but especially for a game like this, its a huge turn off.

and its not i didnt spend x on the equipment, its i didnt spend x for this game to play in stereo. ;)

pa22word

or do what i do for any horror game that is only in stereo. throw on some headphones. horror + headphones is great. doesn't feel like a concession. i was playing with my HMZ-T1 head set. awesome way to play the game and completely side steps the lack of surround sound.

Yeah, I play all my horror titles with headphones too. Always seemed to me like when playing in a setup with speakers I miss out on a lot of the intricacies of the soundtrack, and this is one of the more important aspects in a SH game in my opinion.

CAW

Early on in the game (maybe 20-30 mins in?)
the ticket machine. I started the generator and in my inventory I have a pistol, med kits, flashlight, money (change), police badge and a rusted key. When I stand in front the machine (power is on, does sound odd though) it says to press A to access my inventory but I can't use anything on the machine. Not even the change. I searched around the area but I can't find anything else. Did I miss something? edit: oops, nvm - found the tokens.

And
damn those slamming doors!
SERIOUSLY! I get so worked up then BAM, pants crapped. haha

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think this is the first time I've read about people lowering the resolution output of their consoles to try and get better fps. Is the performance really that bad?

Ridley327

I think this is the first time I've read about people lowering the resolution output of their consoles to try and get better fps. Is the performance really that bad?

When you're indoors, it's merely OK, but it has such a hard time when you're out and about in the town.

I would say at this point, I wouldn't score the game above a seven just because of how dreadful the technical issues are throughout.

RedAssedApe

Banned
When you're indoors, it's merely OK, but it has such a hard time when you're out and about in the town.

I would say at this point, I wouldn't score the game above a seven just because of how dreadful the technical issues are throughout.

Ouch...and this is regardless of platform? :(

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just to confirm what's being discussed, I have a fairly high-end home theater and can confirm the PS3 version does output multi-channel 7.1, and there are definitely some directional sounds. I had it cranked today and it sounded just ok, not great. The mix is definitely subpar. Can't believe they dropped the ball on that so badly. Even the shittiest games have decent surround sound, sheesh.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I wonder what they were doing with those extra months during the delay. I won't get to this game for awhile but I'll definitely still pick it up based on the impressions of fellow Gafers. Maybe there will be a patch? Anyone brought the issues up with Konami?

It may depend how sensitive you are to these technical issues. I'm doing fine dealing with it, but there are times where it's not so great. It was never going to be perfect.

dark10x

This game is such a god damn technical piece of shit. Even in 480p wandering around town is a stuttery mess. It almost spoils the game for me.

dark10x

I just tried it with the HMZ-T1 and, man, what a difference. Against all odds the visuals appear MUCH sharper, the 3D effect is fantastic, and the performance seems more acceptable somehow (tearing is almost impossible to detect in 3D, for some reason).

It went from feeling like a jank fest to a genuinely creepy world that I was involved in. The sense of scale completely changes. Looks like 3D is the only way to play.

I find it very odd that the game looks and feels worse in 2D.

Were Silent Hill 2 + 3 considered technical masterpieces?

Serious question here.

I'd definitely say so. I thought the leap in visuals that 2 provided back in the day were incredible, and 3 still holds up incredibly well today, I mean, there's a reason why that Douglas .gif is in every single SH thread.

Anyway, I grabbed the game yesterday and played about an hour and a half to 2 hours. Made it up to the
Devil's Pit mines
. As an old school SH fan (like many of you) from back in the days of PSX, I have really enjoyed what I've seen so far. There are definitely some really bizarre technical hitches that seem to manifest sporadically. I have seen the game drop to single digit frames for apparently no reason at all while inside. Thankfully it was an isolated incident, but I'm worried that the game will turn into Blight Town once I reach Silent Hill proper :/ Still, the game is genuinely atmospheric, the score is appropriately SH-esque, and it is a joy to explore SH after so very long. It feels like a Silent Hill game, but I can feel the influence of such games as Alan Wake and Bioshock as well. The combat is trademark jank, and the enemies are pretty uninspired (the two I've seen so far anyway), but they are sneaky bastards and aggressive, so the first one did freak me out, as I didn't expect it to just suddenly rush up towards me out of nowhere. Long story short, if the game can sustain this mood and elevate the stakes later on, I have a feeling that this will sit comfortably amongst the original Team Silent entries.

Its hard to fathom though. The game must have been in pretty bad shape back in the Fall if they had to postpone the game several months and still couldn't iron out the technical issues.

Yea, it makes me wonder. It's really shitty that it is hindering people. I definitely agree its there and should be better. If it's not one thing, it's another with this series. Maybe it's a series that just won't work for a modern audience, one that has to be appealed to.

Cudder

Just got to the Radio tower.

-this game is one of the worst running games i've ever seen. a handful of times a minute I get drops to single digit framerate.
-the indoors are definitely more fun to explore than the outdoor areas. i am not having fun exploring Silent Hill
-This game confuses the FUCK out of me, and not in a good way. There will be rooms or areas that have SFX such as a girl crying, or an enemy walking or what have you, but it's not done in a way that is just meant to be creepy to the player. it's done in a way so that my gamer instincts tell me that there is something that needs to be done here in order to get to the bottom of the sound. the sounds aren't subtle. a room in a building i was exploring earlier had the sound of fucking planes flying overhead and machine guns going off. if this is just how they implement sounds into the game in order to evoke intrigue in the player, it's not working, it just pisses me the fuck off that I can't figure out why the sounds are there, and what their purpose is.
-The way Murphy marks the map is bullshit. He marks some things I find, not others. Why is every goddamn thing a question mark? I miss the WRITING on the map from old SH characters to let me know what the fuck I just found and where.
-the fact that they don't let you know what you're about to pick up is dumb. I'll be running along, camera fixated in FRONT of me like it should be, ill see the prompt to pick something up. I stop, go back, aim the camera down and rotate in a circle until I see whatevers on the ground that gave the prompt. 99% of the time its a fucking rock or some weapon I'd never want to pick up. And not only that, but things like small pieces of paper or notes look too similar to ammo boxes or bullets or other meaningless things. I'm pretty sure I missed a bunch of notes because anything that's a square on the ground I just assume is a brick or rock.

but yeah, I'm actually not liking my time being spent in this game.

/rant

Does anybody have a map that shows how the Downpour part of silent hill can be bolted onto the areas from the rest of the series? Im having trouble visualizing it.

Top Bottom