• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

Cosmozone

Combat in SH1 was working pretty well after you've figured out how to strafe. Strafing remained in the later games but was way too slow to help you very much. I usually kill as many enemies as I can with the pipe, BTW. That gives me some serious tension and hand cramps. :) It was interesting how even flaws like that load times every time you entered a room added to the tension since you constantly wonder if the room will be safe or if it will be full of monsters you must fight.

Effect

So game comes out today or maybe tomorrow. Has anyone seen any type of marketing either on TV, in stores, in magazines? Anyone see any hype generated for this game by it's makers in the last few days?

Haven't seen a damn thing. Didn't expect it and would be surprised if this is simply another game sent out into the wild. I expected as much. So much for it being a high profile and important game.

The game will sell to the ever shrinking population of Silent Hill fans and little else. I think Konami just knows it and thinks it's done enough to appeal that userbase to maybe once again come out in greater numbers than they did for Origins or Homecoming and make the game a success. I don't think see much of a point in putting big marketing dollars behind the game. I have nothing to back that up, it's just a gut feeling of my own.

If it is indeed a worthwhile game as some reviews and players here have stated, it's too bad that Konami may be playing conservative with a game that could potentially sell really well on the platform. Of course there have been a couple of worthwhile games on the Wii that have underperformed so it would be nothing new. There's always the possibility of a graphically updated version for Natal and the PS3 Motion Wand in a year.:D :lol

slasher_thrasher21 said:
True that. Honestly I didn't once miss it in SH SM nor boss fights and I thought I might going into it, but once it grabbed hold of me, I didn't give two shits about those things missing.

Thanks for all the input man. I'm avoiding your video because I don't want to spoil anything, but you've convinced me to give it a shot. I'm, not too excited, but I figure that's probably for the best. Low expectations breed pleasant surprises

ConcealedBlaze said:
Thanks for all the input man. I'm avoiding your video because I don't want to spoil anything, but you've convinced me to give it a shot. I'm, not too excited, but I figure that's probably for the best. Low expectations breed pleasant surprises

Yeah no problem. I hope others find my posts and video useful. And yeah don't watch that review till after you have completed it since you don't want anything spoiled. Just got into the game wanting a good game cuz you'll get one. Take your ideas of what Silent Hill is and put it to the side while playing. Hard as that may be. Just try. As a game, this still succeeds. Though many will indeed judge it upon the other SH titles.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
No boss fights is a huge + in my book. After playing through homecoming I think Shattered memories will be the perfect balance. After all the nonstop combat in Homecoming, a "Silent hill" game without combat is very welcome.

I am keeping an open mind and being very optimistic in my curiosity about what Climax has created.

Cant wait to bring it home Thursday.

For me, the running in this game is the same principal as combat; it's just a new way to provide enemy encounters, and I think if you don't like combat in Silent Hill because it's either implemented poorly and takes away from the immersion and exploration, well, I felt that the running does the exact same thing, only it's worse because you can't really explore at all.

I'm just anxious to see how all the people saying that they're glad there's no combat reacts to the chases, which are much more action heavy and does not promote exploration.

Sadist

Effect said:
So game comes out today or maybe tomorrow. Has anyone seen any type of marketing either on TV, in stores, in magazines? Anyone see any hype generated for this game by it's makers in the last few days?

Haven't seen a damn thing. Didn't expect it and would be surprised if this is simply another game sent out into the wild. I expected as much. So much for it being a high profile and important game.
Someone posted a IGN summary of the Nintendo podcast and they said Konami won't be pushing it apparantly.

brandonh83 said:
For me, the running in this game is the same principal as combat; it's just a new way to provide enemy encounters, and I think if you don't like combat in Silent Hill because it's either implemented poorly and takes away from the immersion and exploration, well, I felt that the running does the exact same thing, only it's worse because you can't really explore at all.

I'm just anxious to see how all the people saying that they're glad there's no combat reacts to the chases, which are much more action heavy and does not promote exploration.
well i'll make this prediction. i will probably like them more than most.

i enjoyed the chase sequences in Call of Cthulhu which were pretty universally despised.

i loved the videos I saw of said sequences. they looked very 'oh shit which way do i go'... which isn't something you feel in games all too often.

brandonh83 said:

Well I think for alot of people. The sense of exploring will be filled in the normal world. I mean personally, as much as it was neat to explore the nightmare world I always wanted to just get out of them in the previous SH games. All of them. I just hated the setting because it creeped me out. In SM the setting is chilling, but not so much scary, though the idea of these things never backing down and relentlessy chasing me had me wanting to escape fast as fuck as well. So really they had similar effects for me. Again this is a personal thing though and each of you guys will have your various thoughts on this.

ecierif said:
so a tad divisive then. i'm not surprised, but hey, brandon must feel a lot better.

gamepro said:
At the end of the day, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories isn't a bad game by any means -- it's an incredibly original and ambitious project, but the weight of its problems, both old and new, keep it from being much more than a nostalgic love letter addressed to diehard series fans.

even the criticisms are going to be divisive amongst those that don't like it.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
brandonh83 said:

I often get annoyed when I CANT run from an enemy in homecoming, because It means I have to waste my precious ammo/health items which are given at quite an idiotic pace. If the game wants me to run from an enemy, I'm sure I'm not missing anything the game is hiding from me. I can see myself wishing I were able to explore more, but It wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem as constantly being forced to fight in repetitive unreliable combat system.

scitek

Off-topic a little, but there are some longtime SH fans in here. I picked up the PC version of SH3, but would like to play it in widescreen. I've read something about an FOV fix or something, but can't seem to find it. Does anyone know anything about it?

I Push Fat Kids said:
I have a feeling I'm going to like this game. Also, that G4 review is pretty silly.
they're still calling motion control stuff 'gimmicky'. the review text seems fair enough though, i'm just amazed by the score itself.

scitek said:
Off-topic a little, but there are some longtime SH fans in here. I picked up the PC version of SH3, but would like to play it in widescreen. I've read something about an FOV fix or something, but can't seem to find it. Does anyone know anything about it?
yeah hi.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com is where i found it.

it's really the first place you should head to with questions like that.

I Push Fat Kids said:
I have a feeling I'm going to like this game. Also, that G4 review is pretty silly.

Especially people that have grown tired of the same stuff the series has been going for since the begining will take a liking to this. Its just so different. For me it was a fresh experience. I can't say that about alot of games. Sure it didn't satisfy all the SH fan inside me wants, but its still a good game. I wish it was longer to be honest. :( These sorta games almost always end up shorter then I want them to be.

plagiarize said:
they're still calling motion control stuff 'gimmicky'. the review text seems fair enough though, i'm just amazed by the score itself.

Which I think is silly, the Wii controls in this I felt were fairly implemented and I didn't feel they threw them in there just because you can waggle. So its interesting to see people thing SH:SM is gimmicky with the controls. Maybe they don't play alot of the really terrible gimmicky Wii games?

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well I think for alot of people. The sense of exploring will be filled in the normal world. I mean personally, as much as it was neat to explore the nightmare world I always wanted to just get out of them in the previous SH games. All of them. I just hated the setting because it creeped me out. In SM the setting is chilling, but not so much scary, though the idea of these things never backing down and relentlessy chasing me had me wanting to escape fast as fuck as well. So really they had similar effects for me. Again this is a personal thing though and each of you guys will have your various thoughts on this.

The problem with that is that when you're in the snowy world, nothing creepy ever really happens. Sometimes you find these cheaply executed static ghost-like memories which leads to you getting a text message or voice mail related to the memory, which sounds cool but really wasn't to me as they were never that interesting and I grew tired of it being the same thing over and over, you hear static, approach it, the sounds get louder and more obnoxious, and then there's a flash and stuff moves around. That's not good, to me. It's almost like each of the events tries so hard to startle you, but after the tenth time you've grown accustomed to how it works.

I play Silent Hill to be creeped out to the max and it's never been because of enemies, so I suppose that's where I differ from a lot of people. I'm more into all the abstract ideas and information and atmospheric execution of the world. Enemies have just sort of always "been there," I mean they can make creepy sounds and stuff but they've never bothered me or anything. If they're not in my way I'd just run past them and if they were, a few whacks with a pipe usually did the trick.

So whether I'm being chased by enemies without any means to fight back, or if I'm dodging and doing combos, it really makes no difference to me if I have the ability to engage myself in the atmosphere of both light and dark worlds, and I'm simply stating that Shattered Memories didn't allow me to indulge myself in the hair-raising, hellacious environments and all the going-ons in them that were so well done in the first three or so titles. Being chased is fine and all, but when I have to barrel through the dark world or whatever and can't just breathe in the environments and feel like a part of Silent Hill's raw cruelty, I mean that just defeats the entire purpose of the series.

FootNinja said:
I often get annoyed when I CANT run from an enemy in homecoming, because It means I have to waste my precious ammo/health items which are given at quite an idiotic pace. If the game wants me to run from an enemy, I'm sure I'm not missing anything the game is hiding from me. I can see myself wishing I were able to explore more, but It wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem as constantly being forced to fight in repetitive unreliable combat system.

The entirety of the icy worlds in SM is filled with enemies (the same enemies through the whole game, mind you, despite their evolving they remain very similar) that are always after you, and you can literally never, ever slow down. There are a few instances where they randomly don't attack you for a moment, but you're still not given the leverage to do any exploring. But on my replay, I forced myself to explore and kept dying over and over just to see if Climax ever put any creepy cool things in the environments like Team Silent did, and I couldn't find anything so I suppose they thought it would be okay if it just relied on the monster chases to be "intense."

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I Push Fat Kids said:
Seems like they are all missing the point of the "re-imagining" and judging it as a silent hill remake that misses the target.

Even so, some of the complaints are understandable and it seems like the game is hit or miss.

brandonh83 said:
The problem with that is that when you're in the snowy world, nothing creepy ever really happens. Sometimes you find these cheaply executed static ghost-like memories which leads to you getting a text message or voice mail related to the memory, which sounds cool but really wasn't to me as they were never that interesting and I grew tired of it being the same thing over and over, you hear static, approach it, the sounds get louder and more obnoxious, and then there's a flash and stuff moves around. That's not good, to me. It's almost like each of the events tries so hard to startle you, but after the tenth time you've grown accustomed to how it works.

I play Silent Hill to be creeped out to the max and it's never been because of enemies, so I suppose that's where I differ from a lot of people. I'm more into all the abstract ideas and information and atmospheric execution of the world. Enemies have just sort of always "been there," I mean they can make creepy sounds and stuff but they've never bothered me or anything. If they're not in my way I'd just run past them and if they were, a few whacks with a pipe usually did the trick.

So whether I'm being chased by enemies without any means to fight back, or if I'm dodging and doing combos, it really makes no difference to me if I have the ability to engage myself in the atmosphere of both light and dark worlds, and I'm simply stating that Shattered Memories didn't allow me to indulge myself in the hair-raising, hellacious environments and all the going-ons in them that were so well done in the first three or so titles. Being chased is fine and all, but when I have to barrel through the dark world or whatever and can't just breathe in the environments and feel like a part of Silent Hill's raw cruelty, I mean that just defeats the entire purpose of the series.

Thats all fair enough but again this is all just personal preference. Part of me has always loved exploring the cold lonely streets and buildings of Silent Hill. I understand the scare part and SM had a few moments like the part in the
art room when the whispers came, though other moments like people freezing mid sentence and perticularily the SUV crashing into the water had me in knots with tension.
Yet again I understand your views on the series and what you like and don't from all your posts and the things you claim are perfectly fine.

FootNinja said:
Seems like they are all missing the point of the "re-imagining" and judging it as a silent hill remake that misses the target.

Even so, some of the complaints are understandable and it seems like the game is hit or miss.
it's a silent hill game. it'll be hit and miss. every game in the series has it's fans and detractors, even amongst fans of the series.

plagiarize said:
it's a silent hill game. it'll be hit and miss. every game in the series has it's fans and detractors, even amongst fans of the series.

LOL very true. I think I'm one of the only SH fans out there that pretty much thought every SH game was good in its own way, even though I have my favorites.

Biggest pet peeve from the entire series though... BURPING ENEMIES! Come on Silent Hill The Room. Whats your problem! Whoever greenlight that sound... *SMACK*

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Thats all fair enough but again this is all just personal preference. Part of me has always loved exploring the cold lonely streets and buildings of Silent Hill. I understand the scare part and SM had a few moments like the part in the
art room when the whispers came, though other moments like people freezing mid sentence and perticularily the SUV crashing into the water had me in knots with tension.
Yet again I understand your views on the series and what you like and don't from all your posts and the things you claim are perfectly fine.

Well in the earlier titles, both the light and dark worlds had tons of details and creepy stuff inserted throughout. In this game, you get an extremely dull snowy world, and an icy world that only consists of monster chases. I was shocked when the
mall sequence made you go back and snap a picture of the bird's beak,
but all that really means is that I had to run back out into the mess, hope that I randomly find what I'm looking for, get to it, and either make it back alive or die, which respawns you back at the puzzle point anyway.

I was just very disappointed that the snowy world didn't offer more than purely linear paths empty of creepiness and that the icy worlds were purely dedicated to the chases and no strokes of brilliance to appreciate.

mollipen

plagiarize said:

The thing is, half of SM's motion control stuff does feel gimmicky, so far as I'm concerned. Controlling the flashlight with the Wii remote? Great, I'm right there. But then other things just feel like you're using the motion stuff because it's there, and not because it really adds to the experience.

Having to throw monsters off of you by swinging the controls around is utter annoyance when you realize that, after you're done, your viewpoint is suddenly going to swing around because you haven't brought the Wiimote back into its original position yet. As well, interacting with puzzles by "putting" you into the game because you're directly interacting with stuff is, honestly, a gimmick. Having a little on-screen hand that I wave around to pull up a lock or shake a can doesn't at all make me feel like I'm really there doing those things.

slasher_thrasher21 said:

And I could completely be right there with you... if SM actually offered more than a rudimentary level of exploration. The game suffers horribly from "single path" syndrome compared to previous games in the series. I love those quiet moments of exploration, but almost everywhere you go in the game, it's a very small section of city completely blocked off by snow drifts. If the game honesty encouraged exploration, and had a more open-world Silent Hill to run around, then the fact that that portion of the game has no real fear to it would have been much less of an issue to be.

But, instead, we've got very low-level exploration possibility combined with no scares or fears at all. That isn't at all an interesting combination.

brandonh83 said:
Well in the earlier titles, both the light and dark worlds had tons of details and creepy stuff inserted throughout. In this game, you get an extremely dull snowy world, and an icy world that only consists of monster chases. I was shocked when the
mall sequence made you go back and snap a picture of the bird's beak,
but all that really means is that I had to run back out into the mess, hope that I randomly find what I'm looking for, get to it, and either make it back alive or die, which respawns you back at the puzzle point anyway.

I was just very disappointed that the snowy world didn't offer more than purely linear paths empty of creepiness and that the icy worlds were purely dedicated to the chases and no strokes of brilliance to appreciate.

LOL I saw that bird and noticed it was colored so I took note of the colors asap! lol
but yeah I don't think thats the case most people will have.

shidoshi said:
The thing is, half of SM's motion control stuff does feel gimmicky, so far as I'm concerned. Controlling the flashlight with the Wii remote? Great, I'm right there. But then other things just feel like you're using the motion stuff because it's there, and not because it really adds to the experience.

Having to throw monsters off of you by swinging the controls around is utter annoyance when you realize that, after you're done, your viewpoint is suddenly going to swing around because you haven't brought the Wiimote back into its original position yet. As well, interacting with puzzles by "putting" you into the game because you're directly interacting with stuff is, honestly, a gimmick. Having a little on-screen hand that I wave around to pull up a lock or shake a can doesn't at all make me feel like I'm really there doing those things.

I understand where your coming from, but honestly with what your saying, almost every Wii game could be considered gimmicky. Unless you take something like Mario galaxy, but then its not even utilizing the motion controls that set to make the wii stand apart from the rest anyways. As for you getting confused after shoving off the monsters, I had that problem one time in three play throughs. Maybe your just being to rough with the motion?

shidoshi said:
Having to throw monsters off of you by swinging the controls around is utter annoyance when you realize that, after you're done, your viewpoint is suddenly going to swing around because you haven't brought the Wiimote back into its original position yet.

That's the only problem I had with the controls-- you swing around to get them off, and then it screws up your directional aim. I would throw them off and then have to re-align the remote with the sensor bar and sometimes by that point, I was being attacked again.

It's just simply not well thought out out whatsoever.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
but yeah I don't think thats the case most people will have.

Perhaps people won't be annoyed with the lack of horror awesomeness, even though they're playing a horror game-- but I can't imagine people actually thinking the chases are well done, regardless, because they're incredibly broken and the gimmick wears off very fast. I think it's an enjoyable game otherwise because when you're not running, the controls are really cool.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
LOL very true. I think I'm one of the only SH fans out there that pretty much thought every SH game was good in its own way, even though I have my favorites.

Biggest pet peeve from the entire series though... BURPING ENEMIES! Come on Silent Hill The Room. Whats your problem! Whoever greenlight that sound... *SMACK*
i like them all to varying degrees, but it's very clear to me which ones i like better. some series i struggle to order them in order of preference, i have no such problem with the SH series.

Effect

Sadist said:
Someone posted a IGN summary of the Nintendo podcast and they said Konami won't be pushing it apparantly.

I think Modern Warfare Reflex is going to be the last 3rd party game I buy on the Wii. It's come down to one question for me in the end. A question that I really think needs to be asked. This isn't just because of Silent Hill but others as well. SH is just the latest example with Modern Warfare Reflex being the next latest.

If the publishers/developers don't feel the game is worth trying to push themselves, because it's on the Wii, why should I or anyone else actually spend money on it in the end?

I know I'm asking for trouble but if Monster Hunter 3 isn't advertised and the same goes for Red Steel 2 and Epic Mickey when they comes out I won't be getting them for the reason listed above. I can only talk with my wallet then again it might be a pointless action in the end. At least I'll know I did something. These really are the only non-Nintendo games on the Wii I have been looking forward to that seem to have a significant effort behind them. To make sure I don't feed the beast I'm going to be focusing on 1st party IPs on the other systems as well to be fair, at least in my own eyes. There are enough that I can't bypass 3rd party developers.

brandonh83 said:
Perhaps people won't be annoyed with the lack of horror awesomeness, even though they're playing a horror game-- but I can't imagine people actually thinking the chases are well done, regardless, because they're incredibly broken and the gimmick wears off very fast. I think it's an enjoyable game otherwise because when you're not running, the controls are really cool.

Well the subject of horror and scares is a very personal thing. Some people shate bricks playing Dead Space, others claimed it wasn't scary at all. You hear the same thing for almost ANY horror title. I don't think there is any one horror title that definetly scared the shit out of everyone. Different people have different fears. Also the older I get and the more scary games/movies I see, the harder it becomes for me to be scared of anything. Yet playing Silent Hill and Resident Evil back in the day when I was 16 sure as hell scared the shit out of me.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well the subject of horror and scares is a very personal thing. Some people shate bricks playing Dead Space, others claimed it wasn't scary at all.

Yeah, sure. I for one didn't find Dead Space remotely creepy, and it's for the same reasons I didn't find Shattered Memories creepy; both games were just so creatively bankrupt when it came down to the horror aspect. DS was technically insane and thus offered some nice atmosphere, but I didn't think it went the extra mile to do anything with it. That's where I feel that both games faulter in the scares department; the earlier Silent Hill games created amazing atmosphere and then took it further by completely fucking with your head after putting you in the atmosphere. Games like this and Dead Space merely put you in the atmosphere, and they stop right there.

gamingeek

All sourced from thevgpress.com

G4TV Review Silent Hill Shattered Memories 2/5
http://g4tv.com/games/wii/61989/Silent-Hill-Shattered-Memories/review/

Gameinformer Shattered Memories review 6.25
http://gameinformer.com/games/silent_hill_shattered_memories/b/wii/archive/2009/12/08/review.aspx

Gamepro review Silent Hill Shattered Memories 2.5 stars out of 5 - Bold, ambitious but flawed?
http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/213162/silent-hill-shattered-memories/

Silent Hill Shattered Memories eurogamer review 9/10
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/silent-hill-shattered-memories-review

gamingeek said:

G4TV Review Silent Hill Shattered Memories 2/5
http://g4tv.com/games/wii/61989/Silent-Hill-Shattered-Memories/review/

Gameinformer Shattered Memories review 6.25
http://gameinformer.com/games/silent_hill_shattered_memories/b/wii/archive/2009/12/08/review.aspx

Gamepro review Silent Hill Shattered Memories 2.5 stars out of 5 - Bold, ambitious but flawed?

Silent Hill Shattered Memories eurogamer review 9/10
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/silent-hill-shattered-memories-review

This just goes to show you that, like any other Silent Hill title before SM, the verdict is going to be very hit or miss with media and fans alike. In that respect, it justs like all the other Silent Hills. :D

beef3483

shidoshi said:
As well, interacting with puzzles by "putting" you into the game because you're directly interacting with stuff is, honestly, a gimmick. Having a little on-screen hand that I wave around to pull up a lock or shake a can doesn't at all make me feel like I'm really there doing those things.

Totally disagree with this. This is exactly the kind of stuff I wanted when the Wii was released. If having more direct control by directly interacting with things is gimmicky then we should all just go back to a d-pad and two buttons.

gamingeek said:

The franchise hit a high point with the scarring Silent Hill 2, a journey through the psyche of a tortured widower that garnered both critical and commercial acclaim; after a relatively successful direct sequel to the original with Silent Hill 3, the franchise slowly headed back to obscurity with the remarkably dissimilar Silent Hill 4 (originally not even a Silent Hill title), then ran safely back towards the horror conventions it tried so hard to stray from with the American developed Silent Hill: Homecoming.

:lol Just find that hilarious for some reason

But very interesting(short) review of the game. I'm sensing a ton of "hit or miss" when it comes to hardcore SH players

mollipen

beef3483 said:
Totally disagree with this. This is exactly the kind of stuff I wanted when the Wii was released. If having more direct control by directly interacting with things is gimmicky then we should all just go back to a d-pad and two buttons.

And that's fine if you're into that kind of thing, but for me, it seems like nothing but a "we're doing it because we can!" kind of thing. Making me use the Wiimote to actually pull the bolt out of a lock on a door doesn't make me feel like I'm there doing it myself, and in fact, actually make the experience feel more like a video game instead of less.

beef3483

shidoshi said:
And that's fine if you're into that kind of thing, but for me, it seems like nothing but a "we're doing it because we can!" kind of thing. Making me use the Wiimote to actually pull the bolt out of a lock on a door doesn't make me feel like I'm there doing it myself, and in fact, actually make the experience feel more like a video game instead of less.

If I had to press a button to pull a bolt out of a lock, I would feel more like I'm playing a videogame. I prefer the input to more closely resemble the action, but to each his own.

Effect said:
I think Modern Warfare Reflex is going to be the last 3rd party game I buy on the Wii. It's come down to one question for me in the end. A question that I really think needs to be asked. This isn't just because of Silent Hill but others as well. SH is just the latest example with Modern Warfare Reflex being the next latest.

If the publishers/developers don't feel the game is worth trying to push themselves, because it's on the Wii, why should I or anyone else actually spend money on it in the end?

I know I'm asking for trouble but if Monster Hunter 3 isn't advertised and the same goes for Red Steel 2 and Epic Mickey when they comes out I won't be getting them for the reason listed above. I can only talk with my wallet then again it might be a pointless action in the end. At least I'll know I did something. These really are the only non-Nintendo games on the Wii I have been looking forward to that seem to have a significant effort behind them. To make sure I don't feed the beast I'm going to be focusing on 1st party IPs on the other systems as well to be fair, at least in my own eyes. There are enough that I can't bypass 3rd party developers.

Buy games that interest you. I'm not sure boycotting games that don't have a good enough marketing push is going to accomplish anything in the end. Do you really think 3rd parties will get the message? They'll just blame it on the lack of a core gaming crowd on the system.

Sadist

Little Green Yoda said:
Buy games that interest you. I'm not sure boycotting games that don't have a good enough marketing push is going to accomplish anything in the end. Do you really think 3rd parties will get the message? They'll just blame it on the lack of a core gaming crowd on the system.
This. I don't care if a game doesn't get a certain marketing budget, as long as I enjoy the game that's enough for me. Dead Space Extraction might be sent out to die, but I like it a lot.

Man those scores are all over the place.

Kevtones

GI says the controls and the graphics are terrible while everyone else has praised those two items in particular. Can we ban that mag already?

gogojira

Reviews are really divided, looks like I'll use Gamefly as a safety net for this one. I am hoping for the best, but the icy nature of it all is decidedly less scary to me for whatever reason.

shidoshi said:
And I could completely be right there with you... if SM actually offered more than a rudimentary level of exploration. The game suffers horribly from "single path" syndrome compared to previous games in the series. I love those quiet moments of exploration, but almost everywhere you go in the game, it's a very small section of city completely blocked off by snow drifts. If the game honesty encouraged exploration, and had a more open-world Silent Hill to run around, then the fact that that portion of the game has no real fear to it would have been much less of an issue to be.

The exploration is limited, and not even worth it. In the other titles, you were usually rewarded with exploring every room, either by finding much-needed items, or cool, creepy visuals.

Teknoman

beef3483 said:

Seriously. This is what the Wii was made for. Whats the point of motion controls and incoming natal/Sony wand if people get ticked off when controls such as these are nicely integrated?

Effect said:

Even if they arent marketed well...wont people buying great games that arent being marketed speak louder? You'd think that would convince them to do so.

beef3483 said:
If I had to press a button to pull a bolt out of a lock, I would feel more like I'm playing a videogame. I prefer the input to more closely resemble the action, but to each his own.
The motion-control in that regards is fine, but as previously stated, using motion control to fling jerks off feels like a sloppily-implemented annoyance.

ace harding: private eye said:
The motion-control in that regards is fine, but as previously stated, using motion control to fling jerks off feels like a sloppily-implemented annoyance.

Your jerking it wrong!

Top Bottom