• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

silenttwn

All right, I beat this game yesterday. The ending is actually great. I didn't see the twist coming at all, and I think the execution of it was spot on. That last hour or so of the game... it actually felt like a genuine Silent Hill game to me. I would love Climax to make another one just like this... maybe even more cinematic though. All in all, I thought it was good.

Miburou

/\ Yeah that happened to me a couple of times (the spinning around after throwing off an enemu).

Well, I just had my first game freeze-up, so my advice for everyone is to save often.

I'm halfway through my 2nd play through, and it's impressive how many small things are different this time around. Not just character clothes, but also puzzles and dialog. Still, I see it more of a way to customize the game to your preferences than an incentive to replay the game several times changing your choices every time.

Now for some spoiler talk, regarding that scene someone mentioned earlier (when I said this game had nothing like the best parts in Homecoming, mainly the stuff happening in your house)
can you actually die from drowning in the car? On my 1st play through I kept playing with the locks, door handles and windows of the 3 doors until everything turned to ice and then back to water, and just opened the door. On my 2nd one, I didn't do anything other than play with the radio.

As for the ending
obviously the game negates all other SH games in this regard, as there's no cult or evil town, but (and I read this somewhere so I can't take any credit), how about SH1's Jacob's Ladder ending? In it Harry dies and everything that happened in the game was going through his mind as he was dying, so SM can be considered a continuation of that ending, where Cheryl can't deal with his death. Having said that, Michelle comments that the girl in the photo in the gym looks like Harry, while Cheryl in SH1 was found lying on the road and has no blood relation with Harry.

Ridley327

Just wrapped it up myself. I wish that
Kaufmann didn't use such words with a specific feminine connotation to them ("slut," in particular), since that kind of gives away what is going to happen
, but I did find that the story overall was well-done and well-told. I really, really liked the fact that so much of it was interactive, particularly
the SUV crash and especially the final sequence on the lake
. Gameplay-wise, I definitely understand the complaints about it feeling like it was under-developed; the actual mechanics themselves would lend themselves greatly to more of an open exploration, but it's surprising that it did end up feeling so linear in the end. The nightmare sequences also suffer from this, as well. Why put a de-emphasis on what the game is good at? As they stand, I didn't find the chases to be either bad or good; just there. All in all, though, it's a very worthwhile game and one that I do hope gets a sequel that further fleshes out the groundwork that they've laid down.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
God, I just can't reiterate how fantastic that ending was:
Just the very moment of shock, the very confusion felt upon seeing what had been your avatar for so long suddenly show up and be proven to be nothing more than a ghost, that every hardship you'd just experienced was nothing more than a falsehood, and that your actual identity is that of someone who is lamenting the loss of this individual who is very important to not only the character, but the player. It's a very jarring and disturbing experience, and it's utterly FANTASTIC.
I applaud Climax greatly for this one, and I hope to show my dad some of it over Christmas. He'll get a kick out of it...

EDIT: It looks like Destructoid agrees:
While Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is a total departure in every way from what Konami proper had started, it manages to reinvigorate the series. This "re-imagining" could have been a story rehash, instead we get a brilliantly deep game with subtle subtext and surprising symbolism. It's deep enough that some may glaze over the reasons behind the game play decisions and story elements, which were, again, brilliant. It focuses on the horrors of the human mind and gets away from the tired ghost story, making for a story much more involving and disturbing than recent Silent Hill titles. A lovingly crafted story draws you in and then wows you with a surprise ending that leaves a lingering fascination. And chills. I'm still thinking about it. From one die-hard Silent Hill fan to another, this is a true Silent Hill game. A better Silent Hill game. Do not miss this game.

Score: 9.5 -- Superb

Ridley327

I dunno; I think the ending really helps put a lot of things into perspective, especially when it comes to
Dahlia's role in the proceedings or Harry's unwillingness to ever stop looking for Cheryl, even in the presence of people trying to help him.
It's pretty similar to Killer7 in that regard, although both take wildly different directions getting to and going from its eventual destination.

hellclerk

brandonh83 said:
I just wish more of the story was as "lovingly crafted" as the ending was.
except that the whole game was a total buildup for that to happen:
the player WAS Harry, and I continue to contend that the most important literary element of video games is and shall forever be interaction. Because players interacted not only with Harry, but AS Harry, the connection between player and playable character was made stronger. To be ripped from that at the end of the game was a traumatic experience and made the ending as poignant as it was. Thus, the rest of the game was a build-up to that beautiful ending. The story would be nothing without that kind of build-up.

MUST.NOT.LOOK.AT.SPOILERS!:lol

I'm giving AC2 a break this weekend and starting over with Shattered Memories. It will have my full attention so I hope to be totally engulfed in the experience this time around.

I understand these viewpoints and all and they are right, at least to an extent. But I just don't feel that an entire story should simply rely on its twist or ending because that pretty much means that nothing significant happens until you reach that point, whereas a good story, to me, is chalk full of events and happenings and so forth. None of the characters were really strong or interesting to me, not by any stretch, and I just felt the game was largely empty until it reaches the end, and while the ending is a whopper, it's over. The game doesn't give me anything to discuss or elaborate on until I hit the end. I "get" the reasoning behind it, I just don't like it and to me it's a borderline excuse for not having anything of any significant relevance happening until the end.

Many of M. Night Shyamalan's films are constructed with the twist at the end in mind, as the basis for the storytelling. Love them or hate them, whatever, but he fills his story with interesting points along the way and I just don't feel that this game does anything worth a damn until you reach ground zero. That was ultimately my problem with the storytelling. I admire the tone and the execution at the end, I just felt that getting there was extremely uneventful and, well, boring.

I've debated whether to re-play the game or not, and I've decided not to.
The game ended on a peaceful and somber note; there was a haunting finality to it that would seem diminished if I were to force myself (and by extension, Harry/Cheryl) to re-open the book and re-experience the events of the journey. Time to move on with life like my character in the game finally managed to do.

Ridley327 said:
If only that could apply to Shyamalan's recent output.

Agreed. I thought Shattered Memories didn't have a lot actually happening, sort of like, The Happening, in which not much is actually happening. But my point is just that, you can build up to a twist, which is the climax sometimes of a story while having other interesting subplots going on, orbiting around the main plot and its twist/finale. Silent Hill 2 does this in an astonishingly superb fashion (not to play the SH2 card against this game, I just truly feel that way).

Ridley327

Comparing the story to The Happening? How cruel -_-

The directness is something I appreciate greatly, especially since there's so many games that opt to have a WAIT, THERE'S MORE! approach to its storytelling and end up suffering as a result.

Ridley327

Out of curiosity, did you play Braid? Its plot progression is actually quite similar to how SM plays out, so I'd be curious to see if you had anything to say about that.

I've played it, but only just a little. It's a side-scrolling puzzle action/platformer thingy though and I wouldn't exactly hold its storytelling style against it.

I'm not so sure it a lack of content. There is plenty of content in the game. Though like someone said before, its almost like a point and click game. You very much just take in the areas of the game, the dialog, the progression, and the puzzles. I mean SH SM was definetely filled with its moments, while some of the in game content might have felt empty. The game was building up till the end and I think it did terrific in that sense. Not only that but really... the game was so captivating and enthralling that when it did end, I was sad that it was over so soon. Granted it was short, but it goes to show the strengths of a game when all you want of a game is more of it when your done. I'd love to replay the game not knowing how it ends or the events that occur.

Ridley327

brandonh83 said:
I've played it, but only just a little. It's a side-scrolling puzzle action/platformer thingy though and I wouldn't exactly hold its storytelling style against it.

You should play more, then; it's got quite a bit more story to it than you could ever expect.

The only reason I brought it up is because, like SM, it's a game that gets entirely justified by its twist that enriches everything that comes before it, both from a narrative and gameplay perspective.

Man, what the fuck were you people talking about?

The game creeps me the hell out.

The phone stuff is exactly the kind of thing that crawls up my spine.

I just played the game for a little while since my cousin came by with his copy so here are my impressions so far.

I got to play around with the phone for a little bit and found it to be pretty intuitive. I would have liked to run while holding the phone, but I can live with the walking. The overall graphics are beautiful in my opinion. The shadows and flashlight work together wonderfully. I also got my first taste of the ice world and had the opportunity to run to a blue point. I never even had to look at the map once, but I did have to shake off quite a few of the monsters. It was intuitive and easy to handle which is a surprise considering the confusion other people experienced. The running mechanic was pretty solid and it made for a really fun experience as me and my cousin were freaking out when we couldn't see a direct exit.

If the story holds strong and it gets just a bit creepier/tense this could easily be one of the better Wii games of 2009 for me.

ShockingAlberto said:

Believe me, I'm incredibly envious of people whom are ridiculously easy scared and reactive to everything :lol

That stuff creeped me out at first. It became bothersome, however, when I realized that it's pretty much the only thing that ever happens. Probably 97% of the creepy stuff in the game is related to the phone, and that's a shame IMO.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Ridley327 said:
Damn, dude; my TV was broken for nearly 48 hours and I was still able to go through it once. :lol :lol :lol

Its holiday time... too many holiday parties, havent had a night to myself all week.
Just picked it up at lunch today, finally.

And c'mon! I painted the mailbox purple... and then I had a purple mailbox! The yellow and brown blobs that I drew over the man and woman and seeing her wearing a yellow dress and him a brown shirt and pants... c'mon, that's just gold Jerry.... gold

used comdon, Harry Mason: "What... no bareback in the great out doors...?"

This dude is the man

hellclerk

brandonh83 said:
Believe me, I'm incredibly envious of people whom are ridiculously easy scared and reactive to everything :lol

That stuff creeped me out at first. It became bothersome, however, when I realized that it's pretty much the only thing that ever happens. Probably 97% of the creepy stuff in the game is related to the phone, and that's a shame IMO.
That's like going to saw and pointing out the exact special effects technique every single time something gory happens. Horror games are based on a Pavlovian response to tense stimuli. Repeating these sorts of things provide an expectation for the player, as far as the subconscious level, and allows the development team to play with it. Just because you're aware of the system doesn't make it bad. You'd be aware of it if this game was Silent Hill 2 reborn, so it's not so much an issue of the dev team and more about you. Not that's a bad thing mind you, just that as someone said before, horror is subjective, and thus the same thing doesn't work for everyone.

Also, while I found the phone calls unsettling at times in the voyeuristic sense, there was more about the atmosphere and the conflicting visual messages that were sent at me that caused the most tension for me.

Hiltz

I take back what I said about the game not being scary. At first, the game just felt creepy in the beginning, but now it feels scary.

I just got to the
house with the frozen family and the musical animal toy
but the chase sequence gave me the creeps and felt far more tense than the first monster chase sequence and it's longer too. I've also noticed that the monsters have grown
a pair of boobies
which in itself is a freaky sight.

I was just relieved to run outside and see the ice disappear. Even when you're safely exploring the game, it manages to keep you on your toes due to the haunting sounds.

I'm beginning to think that I won't be able to play this game alone anymore. I don't think it helps that I'm also playing it at night. :lol

ShockingAlberto said:

Maybe I'm just desensitized, but it usually takes a sense of danger to creep me out, as opposed to a white flash and a poster falling off the wall.

doomed1 said:
That's like going to saw and pointing out the exact special effects technique every single time something gory happens. Horror games are based on a Pavlovian response to tense stimuli. Repeating these sorts of things provide an expectation for the player, as far as the subconscious level, and allows the development team to play with it. Just because you're aware of the system doesn't make it bad. You'd be aware of it if this game was Silent Hill 2 reborn, so it's not so much an issue of the dev team and more about you. Not that's a bad thing mind you, just that as someone said before, horror is subjective, and thus the same thing doesn't work for everyone.

I think it's an issue of the dev team that the attempts at creepiness were incredibly redundant and horribly executed. Anyway, people keep saying "well horror is subjective and different things work for different people" and while I acknowledge that, at the same time I don't really buy it as a complete bulletproof statement. I for one believe in the art of horror, in the art of fear, and I think it needs to be highly creative and sincere and well executed before any of it can be effective and I just don't think any of it is in this game. If you guys think so, great, that's precisely what I meant when I said that I'm envious. But I can't sit around and let it get a free pass because of its subjectivity; I have real problems with the cheap attempts at fear in the game-- using the phone, every single time-- and I do not ever want to see them handled that way again.

On a side note, I did complain about the Saw films using that same exact lame 360 degree bullet-time style camera angle sped up that Michael Bay is in love with every time we see someone in a trap :lol

Maybe I'm just desensitized, but it usually takes a sense of danger to creep me out, as opposed to a white flash and a poster falling off the wall.

This is what I'm getting at. It becomes incredibly predictable after the tenth time it happens and it's not creepy to begin with. It's either a white flash at the climax of the static getting louder and some object(s) in the environments moving around, or a txt message/voicemail. Had they done these things without telling me first, who knows, I might have been creeped out. But just a bit.

Not even to mention the horrible art direction of the static memory ghost things you take pictures of, the graphics look like WIP :lol It's just horribly cheesy looking and completely lacks any sort of craft/subtlety.

doomed1 said:
That's like going to saw and pointing out the exact special effects technique every single time something gory happens. Horror games are based on a Pavlovian response to tense stimuli.

What the hell? I learned that horror games are based on fucking scariness! If it's dark, and there are monsters, it's scary. If it's dark, and there are no monsters, it's not scary.
If you're frightened by cell phone static, knowing full-well that this is the nth time it will just be a white flash, then I don't know how you sleep at night.

Hiltz said:
I take back what I said about the game not being scary. At first, the game just felt creepy in the beginning but now it feels scarier.

I just got to the
house with the frozen family and the musical animal toy
but the chase sequence gave me the creeps and felt far more tense than the first monster chase sequence and its longer too. I've also noticed that the monsters have grown [/spoiler] a pair of boobies [/spoiler] which in itself is a freaky sight. I was just relieved to run outside and see the ice disappear. Even when you're exploring the game manages to keep you on your toes due to the haunting sounds even though you know that you're not in any danger.

I'm begging to think that I won't be able to play this game alone anymore. I don't think it helps that I'm also playing it at night.

Just whatever you do, don't...look...behind you...

Okay, it's 1:15am, all the lights are off, I've been watching creepy shit on Youtube, I'm thoroughly in the creeped-out stage and I'm going to give this game chance #3.

On December 12th, my quest to like Shattered Memories continues.

^ Must... not... avatar quote... I must say, for being a detractor of the game, you are making quite the effort to like it Brandon. I'd love to pick it up to play for the stunning plot twist that you all repeatedly refer to, but money is so short :( I'll have to try renting it in the coming days so I can join the party.

woodypop

Just picked this up for $25. (Toys R Us buy one, get one 50% off)

Figure it should be worth at least that. Look forward to giving it a go!

Vinnk

doomed1 said:
I applaud Climax greatly for this one, and I hope to show my dad some of it over Christmas. He'll get a kick out of it...

But... It's not Your Father's Silent Hill....

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm enjoying the game as well. Not really feeling creeped out, but I didn't expect to be either.

Was the audio as crazy for everyone else in that house at the end of the wooded area? Right before it returns to normal Silent Hill, you end up in a room (after being chased) with a message for you phone and a puzzle involving a childrens musical device. Once you hear the message, however, the audio goes into this crazy ultra f*cked up mode. It was so loud and strange I was wondering if the game was glitching out, yet everything faded to normal when I managed to leave the room. The fact that the sound was moving around to different speakers suggests that it was intentional, but it was actually pretty freaky sounding. One of the more effective audio moments, I think.

Definitely think they should have allowed enemies to be present during puzzle solving and exploration segments. Removing combat is awesome, but having dangers present only during chase sequences (which are better than I had expected) reduces tension.

dark10x said:
I'm enjoying the game as well. Not really feeling creeped out, but I didn't expect to be either.

Was the audio as crazy for everyone else in that house at the end of the wooded area? Right before it returns to normal Silent Hill, you end up in a room (after being chased) with a message for you phone and a puzzle involving a childrens musical device. Once you hear the message, however, the audio goes into this crazy ultra f*cked up mode. It was so loud and strange I was wondering if the game was glitching out, yet everything faded to normal when I managed to leave the room. The fact that the sound was moving around to different speakers suggests that it was intentional, but it was actually pretty freaky sounding. One of the more effective audio moments, I think.

Definitely think they should have allowed enemies to be present during puzzle solving and exploration segments. Removing combat is awesome, but having dangers present only during chase sequences (which are better than I had expected) reduces tension.

No, it would have made it more annoying. I applaud the implementation of "safe zones" during the chase sequences, because it offers you the time to fully concentrate on the puzzle at hand or your surroundings. Last thing I need while I'm trying to look for clues to piece something together is a swarm of monsters interrupting the process.

taoofjord

I'm about 3 or so hours in and REALLY digging it. No significant spoilers follow...

First off, I was very wary of this game, as I'm a diehard silent hill fan - especially when it comes to the art direction. This game doesn't measure up to the bar the first 4 SH's set artistically (though not much can). That said, the graphics in this game are really fantastic. The art direction isn't amazing but something rare has happened -- not through sheer talent, but through love and creativity the art team has succeded in creating a very visually attractive game. And it has plenty of atmosphere.

The game itself is just absolutely refreshing. It's one of the first times I've felt that the motion controls have been used in a way that greatly enhances the experience of a "hardcore" game. It definitely adds to the experience. Same goes with the wiimote mic usage, too, which is fantastic! I love how it feels more like an atmospheric adventure game than a standard survival horror game -- which is nice for a gamer like myself who misses the good ol' days of point and click pc adventures.

The whole thing is really engaging and impressive, really, but there is one "but". It begins to get a little repetitive and shallow after a while. Certainly the developers built an incredibly fresh, engaging, and solid foundation for this game but with a few more layers, gameplay and pacing surprises, and tweaks this could really be THE survival horror game to beat. I really, really hope these guys make a sequel because I truly adore what they've done to the series. They've got my respect and I am very excited to see what they do next.

By the way, I find the chase sequences to be very enjoyable and tense.

Compared my first twenty minutes with a friend's first 20 minutes and we did completely different things.

What he did:

- Crashed the car, found a gas station, went through it and found an AV store, went through there to find the diner where the cop was in full-on SWAT gear and basically treated him like a deranged hobo, then left the diner and got a call from Cheryl saying to run away and the chase started soon after.

What I did

- Crashed the car, went through a mechanic's garage, then a gas station, then a dress store, found a key inside a jacket, explored an empty playground, went in to the diner, met a lady cop with hella cleavage who was very kind and comforting to me, went back to the playground and got a message from Cheryl with a demonic voice in the background, got a phone message from looking at the dress about a woman trying to fuck some guy at a party, then the chase began as I left the dress shop.

Even our monsters seem to be different. His have breasts and vaginae on their heads. Mine have eyes on their backs that open up when I'm hiding.

John Harker

While I was a big fan of Homecoming, I want to quickly toss this out there: I think Shattered Memories Nightmare > Homecomings Otherworld.

I've spoken at length on this, but SHH Otherworld was a very clean "PG13" version of SH 1-3 Otherworld, relying too heavily on the industrial rustic design but without any of the frightening, disturbing imagry. It felt like a copy of a copy... it looked good, and had great sound, but it was so... sterile in comparison to the other games that it felt like a cheap rehash.

In Shattered Memories, you have a wholey unique revision which is both glassy and disturbing. To the people saying its too barren, well I actually say theres more going on than in Homecoming: I've already seen plane crashes, frozen people, skeletons, giant double helixes, and various other weird things encased in ice... and really, you arent suppose to be standing still ever in here. The amount of detail in a zone you're suppose to be blurrying past I think is very impressive... the whole time you have that 'get me the fuck out of here' feel vs. the slow, plodding atmosphere Homecoming tried on you.

So yes, while I agree that the overall pacing of the game isnt that great, there isnt enough to do outside of the Nightmare, I do like their approach to the Nightmare world.

And I do find it funny that Silent Hill is now in Upstate New York :D.
And while SH the towns seems less of a "character" in this game, the town has actually never felt more "alive." I've rarely played a game where I thought the setting was really a place so alive where people lived, ate, played, loved, died. I've called 2 dozen or so numbers I've found around there, some people selling me health insurance, a suicide hot line, I've called a number for a weather report, a prostitute, a forest protection agency... it all just feels so real. A lot of love when into it (too bad there arent more things to do in it)

Then again, I'm only just finishing up the High School now so I have a lot to go.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
NintendosBooger said:
No, it would have made it more annoying. I applaud the implementation of "safe zones" during the chase sequences, because it offers you the time to fully concentrate on the puzzle at hand or your surroundings. Last thing I need while I'm trying to look for clues to piece something together is a swarm of monsters interrupting the process.
I'm not suggesting that the monsters be present in the same capacity as they are during the chase sequences. That would be annoying.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the Thief series (the second part of The Cradle would be a good example) where there are a few dangerous foes present in the environment. Hearing them wandering through the large areas not knowing exactly where they are would be pretty intense.

It doesn't even need to occur all the time, but some of the exploration is weakened by the lack of tension. It's just a thought. I don't like how the chase sequences are divided from the rest of the game. It becomes more predictable as a result.

The amount of detail in a zone you're suppose to be blurrying past I think is very impressive... the whole time you have that 'get me the fuck out of here' feel vs. the slow, plodding atmosphere Homecoming tried on you.
Yeah, I think it's pretty well done, but the imagery hasn't left much of an impression on me. Nothing like those odd pieces that showed up in, say, Silent Hill 3. There were so many things in that game that were so strange to behold that you were just left feeling a bit uneasy.

silent_790screen008.jpg

silent_790screen009.jpg

John Harker

dark10x said:
Yeah, I think it's pretty well done, but the imagery hasn't left much of an impression on me. Nothing like those odd pieces that showed up in, say, Silent Hill 3. There were so many things in that game that were so strange to behold that you were just left feeling a bit uneasy.

silent_790screen008.jpg

silent_790screen009.jpg

Precisely. That's why I'd put SM over SHH in this regard... Homecoming tried to emulate the earlier SH's Otherworlds... but didn't have any of those moments you posted either! haha

Ridley327

Some of the nightmare sequences reminded me of Siren in the way that they warp the scenery to create the environment, particularly the
mall sequence.

wrowa

My god. Am I playing the game wrong or are the nightmare sequences really just annoying? It seems to me like it's pure luck to survive. Jesus.

scitek

wrowa said:
My god. Am I playing the game wrong or are the nightmare sequences really just annoying? It seems to me like it's pure luck to survive. Jesus.

Yes.

Always move forward, and if you can't find the way to go, zoom your map to full screen so the chase pauses. Much easier that way.

John Harker said:
Precisely. That's why I'd put SM over SHH in this regard... Homecoming tried to emulate the earlier SH's Otherworlds... but didn't have any of those moments you posted either! haha

It DID, they just weren't as strong. But I felt that Homecoming had MUCH BETTER art direction and environmental design, nonetheless. SM doesn't have anything at all, whereas Homecoming tries, and has a few good spots at least.

MiniDitka

Finally got all the endings :D In my four play-throughs I noticed lots of differences ranging from clothes to conversations. I think I'm gonna make some video montages for all the different characters to show the differences. This is probably my Wii GOTY.

Top Bottom