• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

mantidor said:
That's what I was afraid of. It really sucks when a game you like ends so soon, but its a relief to know there's some value in replays, something not easy to do in the horror genre.

I've beaten it 4 times myself. Need to do a #5 since #4 didn't give me the ending I wanted.

MiniDitka

SlipperySlope said:
I've beaten it 4 times myself. Need to do a #5 since #4 didn't give me the ending I wanted.
I've beaten it 9 times(5 Wii,4 PS2) and need to do it again to try and get the hero ending. SM is tied with NMH and MP3 for my favorite Wii game.

I'm getting better at the nightmares :)

In my last play through, I died a total of one time. That one time happened on the last one though. I got lost :(

So if I don't think the nightmares are fun is that a deal breaker? i went through the first couple and just didn't like them. I'm assuming they are really frequent?

Suburban_Nooblet said:
So if I don't think the nightmares are fun is that a deal breaker? i went through the first couple and just didn't like them. I'm assuming they are really frequent?

I'm really enjoying the game. The exploration, the interaction...but the nightmares :S They are more annoying than scary :|

scitek

Suburban_Nooblet said:

I think there are like 5 nightmare sequences in the whole game.

Bebpo

Banned
I just finished this and as a long time SH fan I really enjoyed it. It was definitely a different type of experience and there wasn't a whole lot of gameplay involved, but the atmosphere and story were great and exactly what I want out of a Silent Hill game.

My largest complaint about the game is simply that the framerate is unstable. I wish they had locked it at 30fps if they couldn't pull off a locked 60fps. Maybe next game.

I actually really liked the visuals because something about the viewing angle and the scale of everything gave a new feeling that I've never felt in any game before. It didn't feel like a normal third person game or RE4 style camera game or FPS. Something about the scale and detail of things made it feel like I was actually walking through these environments and it was incredibly immersive.

I felt the music was ok, but it felt 100% phoned in. Definitely the worst SH ost imo and if this was the effort Yamaoka wanted to put into the outsourced series at this point then maybe it's for the better that future outsourced SH games will have a new composer. I just hope they choose carefully who to get for the next time because the music is very important to the atmosphere.

The gameplay was ok. I liked that it was kept simple and never really got in the way of the interactive tale experience. Solutions to puzzles were all in the same room and you pretty much just keep running forward the whole game. I made it through FFXIII doing that so I don't really have a problem doing it here as well.

I thought the story was good, though are there any long in-depth plot analysis' yet anywhere? I didn't see a plot faq on gamefaqs. Would like to read a very in-depth discussion of what everything meant. I'm just so glad that
the game wasn't about THE STUPID CULT AND GOAT MAN again. I hate the cult stuff and feel all it does is drag down the plots of every SH it's in (1/3/5). I play SH games for stories about PEOPLE and their personal demons. So I was really happy that this was not SH1 remade, but a different story without the cult stuff

The game was pretty short. Only took me about 2 schoolnights of 2-3 hours each. Must've been a 4 hours-ish game which is one of the shortest I've played in a while. I'm ok with that since you're running through the entire game so it blows by quickly. Though I think for more impact I would have liked
an actual end dungeon and end boss

And about the chase sequences. I kind of liked them for the intense running feeling but I didn't like that they weren't scary after one or two of them since it was just the same enemies and by the 3rd nightmare they're simply annoyances and not feared creatures. I'm also not a fan of the trial and error of running in circles blind, but on the other hand I think a mini-map or arrow point in the right direction or combat would have taken away from them. If they could just think of a way to make them less frustrating in the next game I'd be fine with them keeping the sequences. Then again I think completely removing them or having monsters at all times so you're never safe might work too.

But yeah, I liked it. It was definitely better than that shitty Homecoming (damn you double helix!!) but I dunno where I'd put it with the rest of the series. It's just so different. I'd rank the main games SH2 > SH 4 > SH1 > SH 3 > SH 0 >>>>>>> SH 5 and in some areas I think this is better than Origins (story/graphics), but in other ways I thought Origins was a stronger SH entry (very atmospheric locations [theater stage play, motel] & a better soundtrack [which to be fair was out of Climax UK's control]). I dunno, I guess I'd probably call it even with Origins and say with both games Climax UK did a great job at making Silent Hill experiences. They have a different feel from Team Silent's work, but there's nothing wrong with a different take on great franchises.

A-

PS. One thing I wasn't a fan of was how they handled the surrounding stories that exist in SH. In the Japanese games the "bad things happen here in silent hill" theme was usually subtle and made the town intriguing and creepy. Here with the phone messages and ghosts it was always pushed in your face that LOOK AT THIS BAD THING THAT HAPPENED and I thought that felt really cheap like a c-rate horror film you see in theaters these days. Less is more in these cases.

shuyin_

Banned
I just finished it... 1st impressions:

- pretty short game. I actually like it that way, as my gaming time is pretty limited; besides, being so short makes you want to play it multiple times
- i keep thinking that, from a gameplay pov, this is what Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy should've been.
- beautiful twist @the end
- loved the psychological profiling. Now it deserves the title psychological horror even more.

Oni Jazar

I've been playing through the PSP version and am enjoying the game a lot. The framerate dies during the chase scenes though. Bummer. :/

botticus

Curious about something in the second nightmare sequence.
In running through the cabins at the lodge (whilst getting horribly lost but somehow not dying!), when you hit the break where you have to play the music box to proceed, are the frozen people actually alive but frozen in the nightmare, or are they more shadows of dead/long gone people?

Overall I'm enjoying my first Silent Hill game, though I have encountered the occasional bit with motion sickness if I'm rapidly turning/spinning around after backtracking or something. But considering I'm a pansy, it's good to take this game in short bites anyway. :lol

I hope they explain why people live in this creepy town by the end.

RobertM

Beat it in one sitting on a lonely Friday night. As a fan of Silent Hill series, first game being my favorite one, I will have to say that this was one of the least favorite game in the series. To me this game wasn't even a survival horror, it tried to be but it wasn't. At most this is just an adventure game with great atmosphere and great use of the environment for telling the story and gameplay aspects.
Just from watching the videos alone, I knew the otherworld would suck, and it definitely did. It was just plain annoying, because it brought no tension, no element of fear, and the monsters were just meh. For comparison Call of Cthulhu had a section where you are chased inside a hotel and close the doors behind you, now that created a lot of tension(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-CyUOVtImc). But the main gripe about otherworld is that it wasn't a subtle integration, it was broken down into sections; exploration then otherworld. Silent Hill never really had cue when the otherworld came into play, it happened out of nowhere, it doesn't end after a cue. Also you traverse from area to area way too fast, I hardly got to explore the school or the hospital.

At first I thought not having a weapon would be an interesting decision, but then I realized it's a necessary evil. Weapons were your reward for exploration, it also served as a fight response in a "fight-or-flight" situation. In a way weapons actually created tension, because once you were out of bullets you had no choice but to run or rely on shitty melee weapons.

Mementos were nice, but is it all I get for solving puzzles? Oh and about the puzzles, why was there so few of them and lacking in difficulty? If the only reason that I'm collecting mementos just to get a specific ending, then fuck that, it's not a good reason for me to go out of my way to find them.

I did like the part where Harry
jumps after you go down a flight of stairs and when you try to reach the bed
, but besides that section of the game, it was a bit of an underwhelming experience. It's a better game than Silent Hill: Origins, but it's not a true Silent Hill experience I've been fond of up until SH3.

A quick question for those who completed the game:

On the 2nd falling sequence, what was up with the plane crash picture that kept repeating?

Nekofrog

Banned
Just finished it.

I would be fine if they never went back to the old-style Silent Hill game, despite 2 being my favorite. Perhaps make Silent Hill more "dangerous" and unpredictable (it was pretty predictable in this game), but changing genres from survival-horror to adventure-horror is an A+ decision in my book.

And that ending... hoo-wow. Tops SH2's emotional impact for me, probably because 1. it's better acted and 2. it's incredibly well done.

As to the plane crash... no clue. I was playing it with my wife and a friend of ours, and they couldn't figure out what the picture was, but I saw it as a plane crash. But as out of place as it was, I wasn't sure I was even seeing it right.

MiniDitka

SlipperySlope said:
A quick question for those who completed the game:

On the 2nd falling sequence, what was up with the plane crash picture that kept repeating?
The pic is actually of the car crash from the beginning

botticus

Marathoned through the last half-plus of the game today. Ending kinda melted my brain. Time to reread the thread with spoilers!

I got the Love Lost ending, which I think would have been my preference having look at the variations.

I don't think I've concluded whether the females (and the whole town) are figments of Cheryl's imagination or actual people in Silent Hill. The Dahlias obviously aren't real given that you see her blond mom at the end, and I could see Lisa and Michelles being the same, but Cybil seemed too real to me, particularly being the one to tell Harry she thinks he's the Harry from 18 years ago. And where Cybil goes, so go the other two since she was in the scene with them along with others (like the people living at the Mason's old house).

Just finished this tonight with my girlfriend. We both enjoyed it, despite the fact that it was short.

The only big problem I had with the game was the
nightmare sequence at the school. Outside of getting stuck in loops and having it just be too easy to get lost, pulling up the map to help you out doesn't pause the game, so your only real method of getting to the endpoint seemed a little pointless. That and the taking photos sequence also seemed too difficult. How was I supposed to take pictures, standing still, while these things are all over me?

Outside of that, I thought it was a good game. It was my first SH game, so I don't have anything to compare it to, although the ending wasn't quite as good as it was built up to be. About halfway through I was able to piece it together, but it was still good.

Definitely worth playing at least once if you have a Wii, although I wonder if it would control better on the PS2.

Also, some of the story elements didn't seem to tie up in the end, although maybe it's because I haven't played SH1. Bloody girls jacket out in the woods, girl in the grate down by the water station? They don't seem to tie into the story at all, although maybe I'm missing something.

Finished this game up just now. I can pretty much divide this game and say what parts were good and bad: the chase sequences were fucking garbage and some of the worst things I've played in recent memory while everything else was kinda great. I'd replay it if not for those chase sequences to see how things get different.

I mean, for a Wii game it takes a lot of the strengths of the system and uses them well. Again, with the exception of the chase sequences that relied on terrible waggle shit, everything from interacting to objects or just using the flashlight felt right. Hell, it even looks really good for the Wii.

The ending and credits were pretty awesome. Great stuff.

I'm hoping there is a sequel in this style, only without the chase sequences, which served no purpose other than to drag the entire game down.

So yeah, is there a list, maybe in pictures, that shows how much the game can change depending on the questions and choices you make?

Mael

Well I guess I totally forgot the game was out...
I could have been fooled seeing how much the game is advertised here...
Will pick up soon.
I expect the same for this game as I did for Crystal Bearers (actually that's a lie, CB actually turned even better).
So I expect the game to not be full of the problems reviewers found...
1rst silent hill, climax better not let me down

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
cann3dheat said:
Also, some of the story elements didn't seem to tie up in the end, although maybe it's because I haven't played SH1. Bloody girls jacket out in the woods, girl in the grate down by the water station? They don't seem to tie into the story at all, although maybe I'm missing something.

These were all of Cheryl's memories. She knew those people, they were all stories from her life and her high school days. Keep in mind that as you're playing the game as Harry you're really experiencing Cheryl's memories in all the momentos, phone calls, and little "side stories" from the town of Silent Hill. The people being referred to in those elements are referring to Cheryl or people close to her. It's kinda fun to replay the game with this perspective.

mantidor

brandonh83 said:
You could have it beat within an hour from there.

So with this in mind I played this night hoping to finish it, but 2 hours in I'm still not there, not that I mind, I thought
the annoying nightmare maze of doors repeating was the end, now I'm glad it's not over, and I guess the lighthouse is the end, (if it is don't tell me I want to find out myself)

I guess I'm slow. I like to walk slowly and call every single telephone number I find and zoom in in any picture, specially if they are creepy.

edit: also I haven't found the chase mechanics that bad, if you waggle you are doing it wrong, I try to go with a more quick and strong move in the direction opposite of the creepy childs instead of waggling and it works fine, it actually adds a lot to the immersion.

My only problem with the chases is that sometimes they are way too long, without checkpoint in the middle to not have to restart all over again if you die.

mantidor said:
So with this in mind I played this night hoping to finish it, but 2 hours in I'm still not there, not that I mind, I thought
the annoying nightmare maze of doors repeating was the end, now I'm glad it's not over, and I guess the lighthouse is the end, (if it is don't tell me I want to find out myself)

I guess I'm slow. I like to walk slowly and call every single telephone number I find and zoom in in any picture, specially if they are creepy.

edit: also I haven't found the chase mechanics that bad, if you waggle you are doing it wrong, I try to go with a more quick and strong move in the direction opposite of the creepy childs instead of waggling and it works fine, it actually adds a lot to the immersion.

My only problem with the chases is that sometimes they are way too long, without checkpoint in the middle to not have to restart all over again if you die.

Don't worry so much about how much of the game is left. Just have fun. Search all you want.

Kevtones

I was stopped by a wreck on I5 yesterday next trees that looked EXACTLY like the scene from this game. There was also a shady cabin with a driveway in the distance... Going to play this again when I get home :D

I've got a crazy theory about Shattered Memories that the more I think of, the more it works, so I thought I'd share it. Warning: Imma spoiler everything probably, in both the original Silent Hill and Shattered Memories. And, I repeat, it is crazy.
Aside from the psychology bits, the beginning of SM is very much like the first Silent Hill game. Harry Mason crashes his car in Silent Hill, finds Cheryl missing and goes out searching for her. The further you get in the game, however, the less like the original it becomes.

Aspects of the story that are different from the first seem to surprise Harry. He learns that he actually lives in Silent Hill, and he wonders how he could have forgotten. He didn't live there in the original. He's even surprised to have a cellphone. Yep, no cellphone in the original either.

Later on in the game, Michelle asks him about his wife, and again he is surprised and seems to notice his wedding ring for the first time. This brings us to Dahlia. In one of the most supernatural scenes in the game, Michelle's place in the story is suddenly replaced by Dahlia with no explanation. Michelle is the one character in the game who was not in the original. Dahlia was, but who she is has changed.

Dahlia is unique in the game in that she has trouble fitting into the story. She magically replaces Michelle, she's younger than she should be, you see her when she's older, she appears to die and then show up later, and she seems to know a lot more about what's going on than any other character you meet, although she isn't interested in sharing what she knows. She is Harry's wife and Cheryl's mother. She was completely absent in the original. The Dahlia in the original was the main villain who wanted to use Cheryl to do terrible things. She was a monster.

Now you may notice, almost every time the "truth" is about to be revealed or hinted at, the world freezes. This "truth" is something that diverges completely from the first game, the reveal at the end that completely changes the game from what the original was. Monsters, much like the ones you see in the first game, show up too.

So what does this mean? What Cheryl is being delusional about is not the death of her father, but of the original Silent Hill game. She isn't trying to create some ideal father, she's trying to freeze Silent Hill and Team Silent and make them last forever. Cheryl's memories and the story she is telling the psychiatrist it that first game. She doesn't want to play some new and different game, she wants that original experience. That's why information that runs counter to that story confuses Harry or freezes the world and creates monsters. Monsters just like the one's in the first game.

Cheryl is the player who loves the first Silent Hill game, but can't accept the fact that it is in the past and that Team Silent is no more. Harry Mason represents Team Silent. The psychiatrist is trying to get her/the player to realize this. That's why it starts off the same, and as the psychiatrist talks her out of her delusions, it becomes different.

So that means Dahlia, the mother, is the new Silent Hill. She is Shattered Memories and Climax. The player who is delusional about Team Silent sees this new game as a monster. They see it as something that doesn't "fit in" with the Silent Hill they know and love. It wasn't even around back when the first Silent Hill came out.

So the moral at the end is that you need to accept that Team Silent is gone and with it the old style of Silent Hill. It's not saying that the original's a bad game, or that this is trying to replace it. You can't replace your father. But the new stuff isn't as terrible as you make it out to be. And it'd be healthier to accept that and appreciate what's good about the life/games you actually do have now.

So like I said, completely crazy, but it just seems to work.
What do you think? Haha.

voodoopanda said:
I've got a crazy theory about Shattered Memories that the more I think of, the more it works, so I thought I'd share it. Warning: Imma spoiler everything probably, in both the original Silent Hill and Shattered Memories. And, I repeat, it is crazy.
Aside from the psychology bits, the beginning of SM is very much like the first Silent Hill game. Harry Mason crashes his car in Silent Hill, finds Cheryl missing and goes out searching for her. The further you get in the game, however, the less like the original it becomes.

Aspects of the story that are different from the first seem to surprise Harry. He learns that he actually lives in Silent Hill, and he wonders how he could have forgotten. He didn't live there in the original. He's even surprised to have a cellphone. Yep, no cellphone in the original either.

Later on in the game, Michelle asks him about his wife, and again he is surprised and seems to notice his wedding ring for the first time. This brings us to Dahlia. In one of the most supernatural scenes in the game, Michelle's place in the story is suddenly replaced by Dahlia with no explanation. Michelle is the one character in the game who was not in the original. Dahlia was, but who she is has changed.

Dahlia is unique in the game in that she has trouble fitting into the story. She magically replaces Michelle, she's younger than she should be, you see her when she's older, she appears to die and then show up later, and she seems to know a lot more about what's going on than any other character you meet, although she isn't interested in sharing what she knows. She is Harry's wife and Cheryl's mother. She was completely absent in the original. The Dahlia in the original was the main villain who wanted to use Cheryl to do terrible things. She was a monster.

Now you may notice, almost every time the "truth" is about to be revealed or hinted at, the world freezes. This "truth" is something that diverges completely from the first game, the reveal at the end that completely changes the game from what the original was. Monsters, much like the ones you see in the first game, show up too.

So what does this mean? What Cheryl is being delusional about is not the death of her father, but of the original Silent Hill game. She isn't trying to create some ideal father, she's trying to freeze Silent Hill and Team Silent and make them last forever. Cheryl's memories and the story she is telling the psychiatrist it that first game. She doesn't want to play some new and different game, she wants that original experience. That's why information that runs counter to that story confuses Harry or freezes the world and creates monsters. Monsters just like the one's in the first game.

Cheryl is the player who loves the first Silent Hill game, but can't accept the fact that it is in the past and that Team Silent is no more. Harry Mason represents Team Silent. The psychiatrist is trying to get her/the player to realize this. That's why it starts off the same, and as the psychiatrist talks her out of her delusions, it becomes different.

So that means Dahlia, the mother, is the new Silent Hill. She is Shattered Memories and Climax. The player who is delusional about Team Silent sees this new game as a monster. They see it as something that doesn't "fit in" with the Silent Hill they know and love. It wasn't even around back when the first Silent Hill came out.

So the moral at the end is that you need to accept that Team Silent is gone and with it the old style of Silent Hill. It's not saying that the original's a bad game, or that this is trying to replace it. You can't replace your father. But the new stuff isn't as terrible as you make it out to be. And it'd be healthier to accept that and appreciate what's good about the life/games you actually do have now.

So like I said, completely crazy, but it just seems to work.
What do you think? Haha.

Interesting. But the developers themselves have said that SM and the original series do not tie in together at all.

Diebuster

Just beat this tonight (PSP version). I liked it more than I expected, but it was still pretty disappointing.

Liked:

-Psychological profile
-Phone calls. I spent a lot of my time just calling random numbers I found.
-Story -
I though the twist was nice, though a little predictable
-
The car sequence was pretty intense. I drowned :(
-
Teenage Cheryl is really cute :3 :3

Disliked:

-Nightmare sequences. They weren't fun, they weren't scary, they were just annoying. Hiding was completely useless, so it was all "hold square and run through random doors until you reach the end." The map didn't help much at all.
-Lack of horror. It feels like the developers didn't even try.
-It's short. Silent Hill games were always short, but this was seriously pushing it. I was actually surprised it was over when I reached the end.
-Puzzles were really, really easy. The solutions were all very obvious.

All in all, it was a good game, but being attached to the Silent Hill name really hurt it, "remake" or not. It was a good adventure game, but an awful horror game.

SlipperySlope said:
Interesting. But the developers themselves have said that SM and the original series do not tie in together at all.
Aye, and I wouldn't go as far as to say my theory was intended by the developers. But the main idea of my theory is that the game is basically saying, "This is not Silent Hill 1 no matter how much you may want it to be and is a very different game," so that comment from the developer actually fits my crazy idea. And the fact that the names are the same and the beginning is the same is a bit of a trick to make someone think it would tie together.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Diebuster said:
It was a good adventure game, but an awful horror game.

That's sort of the impression it left me too with. As an isolated game, it's a so-so romp (great storytelling, complete lack of the traditional SH uneasiness and tension, godawful nightmare sequences, forgettable music and relatively poor puzzles), but as a Silent Hill game it's possibly the worst to date (except Play Novel, which really was nothing but shit). Even Homecoming, for all its flaws, was more of a 'classic' Silent Hill experience than Shattered Memories.
Teenage Cheryl
was cute though, and I wanted to do naughty things to
slutty Dahlia

EDIT: Edited as per requested by PM.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
No duh it wasn't a "classic Silent Hill experience." That's exactly what they were going for! :lol

Combichristoffersen

Andrex said:
No duh it wasn't a "classic Silent Hill experience." That's exactly what they were going for! :lol

And it ended up as a great story wrapped in rancid dogshit. If they combined their storytelling talent with their ability to craft a traditional SH game (like they did with Origins), it might very well end up being the best SH game since SH3.

I like how my crazy theory about SM is being played out in this thread, with Combi acting as
Cheryl
and Andrex as
the psychiatrist
:lol

Combichristoffersen

voodoopanda said:
I like how my crazy theory about SM is being played out in this thread, with Combi acting as
Cheryl
and Andrex as
the psychiatrist
:lol

But who's the 40+ year old teacher I'm having a relationship with then? :eek:

Combichristoffersen said:
But who's the 40+ year old teacher I'm having a relationship with then? :eek:
Well, that'd obviously be
Origins, because Cheryl's crazy obsession with her father/the original Silent Hill shows up in her having a relationship with an older man who looks a whole lot like him, but isn't actually him. Just like Origins is a whole lot like traditional SH but isn't really made by Team Silent.

Combichristoffersen

voodoopanda said:
Well, that'd obviously be
Origins, because Cheryl's crazy obsession with her father/the original Silent Hill shows up in her having a relationship with an older man who looks a whole lot like him, but isn't actually him. Just like Origins is a whole lot like traditional SH but isn't really made by Team Silent.

I always wanted to
have glorious sex with the SH2 disc

That's sort of the impression it left me too with. As an isolated game, it's a so-so romp (great storytelling, complete lack of the traditional SH uneasiness and tension, godawful nightmare sequences, forgettable music and relatively poor puzzles), but as a Silent Hill game it's possibly the worst to date (except Play Novel, which really was nothing but shit). Even Homecoming, for all its flaws, was more of a 'classic' Silent Hill experience than Shattered Memories. Teenage Cheryl was cute though, and I wanted to do naughty things to slutty Dahlia.

Bad soundtrack?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo0DI-2ow80

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Finally got around to playing this. Put in about two hours:

I have to say, this is one of the finest horror games ever created. Not only that, but it does so many innovative things it should be lauded on those merits alone.

Wow. Really blown away by it... came out of nowhere.

I love that the game is completely based around tension and fear of the unknown. I've never had a more shit-my-pants moment in a horror game then using the wiimote as a flashlight walking through a forest at night. The tension was thick.

This game also takes all the gimmicky waggle stuff and makes it really fun. Standing in a forest with the wind blowing, getting a call and struggling to make out what's happening by listening on the wiimote speaker... brilliant.

Also, opening cabinets and drawers with true waggle analog, hoping to god something doesn't jump out at you. This is horror at it's best.

My only real complaint is the "throw off" mechanic they use during the chase scenes. While I find that moving the nunchuck and wiimote in time with the enemy to toss them off works great, trying to orient the wiimote back to the screen to continue running forward really sucks. Same goes for those statue things you waggle to the side to knock over as obstacles.

Anyhow, that aside, I can't wait to get back to it.

UrbanRats

Not bad, unmemorable. Forgettable. There's nothing from the soundtrack that stands out to me.

Edit: That said, I'm not blaming Climax for the forgettable music. It's not their fault Yamaoka completely phoned it in this time around.
I agree.. Yamaoka's worst work, in my opinion.
The game is great though.

FlyinJ said:
Finally got around to playing this. Put in about two hours:

I have to say, this is one of the finest horror games ever created. Not only that, but it does so many innovative things it should be lauded on those merits alone.

Wow. Really blown away by it... came out of nowhere.

I love that the game is completely based around tension and fear of the unknown. I've never had a more shit-my-pants moment in a horror game then using the wiimote as a flashlight walking through a forest at night. The tension was thick.

This game also takes all the gimmicky waggle stuff and makes it really fun. Standing in a forest with the wind blowing, getting a call and struggling to make out what's happening by listening on the wiimote speaker... brilliant.

Also, opening cabinets and drawers with true waggle analog, hoping to god something doesn't jump out at you. This is horror at it's best.

My only real complaint is the "throw off" mechanic they use during the chase scenes. While I find that moving the nunchuck and wiimote in time with the enemy to toss them off works great, trying to orient the wiimote back to the screen to continue running forward really sucks. Same goes for those statue things you waggle to the side to knock over as obstacles.

Anyhow, that aside, I can't wait to get back to it.

Tip: For the stuff you knock down to block the enemies, you just use the nunchuck. Since it doesn't require the Wiimote, you don't have to move the Wiimote off the screen and can just continue running. So basically, I knock everything down I pass by. Really helps me :)

Top Bottom