• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

MiniDitka said:
Anyone got any tips on how to get the Wicked and Weak ending? I've been unsuccessful three times and before I go for a fourth would appreciate any info that will improve my chances.

I got Wicked and Weak on my first playthrough. Didn't even know how I got it. Probably the saddest ending.

Anyway, here's how to get it: (taken from GameFAQ's)
- "False" to questions: 1 and 3
- All sleeping photos on "Dead" side
- "Yes" to being a private person
- "Yes" to being a bully and slacker
- Watch Lisa change
- Give Lisa the wrong pills
- "No" to marriage lasting
- All abstract images non-sexual

Basically, act like you hate everything. Be a dick. And, obviously, outside of what was noted above, don't get anything for any other type of ending. Don't stare at alcohol. Don't stare at the women pictures. Don't stare at breasts or asses.

Girls like it when you kinda act like a dick!

Also, just wanted to say the game is awesome. Wish the nightmare sequences weren't such a pain to find your way through, but other than that, I loved it.

I wish I had time for a second playthrough.

MiniDitka

SlipperySlope said:
I got Wicked and Weak on my first playthrough. Didn't even know how I got it. Probably the saddest ending.

- Watch Lisa change

Basically, act like you hate everything. Be a dick. And, obviously, outside of what was noted above, don't get anything for any other type of ending. Don't stare at alcohol. Don't stare at the women pictures. Don't stare at breasts or asses.

I answered the ones in bold but got the love lost ending. Time to give it one more try :lol Thanks for the info. BTW, do you remember how you answered the questions to

1) Are you are virgin
2) A slut
3) A Jock
4) What subjects did you pick for your school classes

and did you collect all or most of the mementos?

MiniDitka said:
I answered the ones in bold but got the love lost ending. Time to give it one more try :lol Thanks for the info. BTW, do you remember how you answered the questions to

1) Are you are virgin
2) A slut
3) A Jock
4) What subjects did you pick for your school classes

and did you collect all or most of the mementos?

Your best bet is to check GameFAQ's. Never try to get anything for any other ending than the one you're going for.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/file/959196/58761

For the school stuff, here's what the FAQ says:

Jock. . . . . . Jock outfit
Slut Sexual PI
Drunk . . . . . Alcoholic PI
Virgin Fake PI
Bully . . . . . Greaser outfit; Unfriendly PI
Slacker None

Class Influence

Religion . . . .None
Creative Writ None
Geography. . . .None
Literature None
Theater. . . . .Michelle's outfit

Football Jock outfit
Backetball . . .Jock outfit
Sex Ed Sexual PI
Math . . . . . .None
Science None

Edit: For Wicked and Weak, you want Unfriendly PI.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
SlipperySlope said:

- Watch Lisa change

I didn't do any of that and that's the ending I got.

Actually the only thing I did on that list is watch Lisa change. The rest? Nope!
And I got that ending on my currently-only play thru :)

Well, that ending plus
Cheryl reuniting with Dhalia mother scene

MiniDitka

SlipperySlope said:
Your best bet is to check GameFAQ's. Never try to get anything for any other ending than the one you're going for.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/file/959196/58761

For the school stuff, here's what the FAQ says:

Jock. . . . . . Jock outfit
Slut Sexual PI
Drunk . . . . . Alcoholic PI
Virgin Fake PI
Bully . . . . . Greaser outfit; Unfriendly PI
Slacker None

Class Influence

Religion . . . .None
Creative Writ None
Geography. . . .None
Literature None
Theater. . . . .Michelle's outfit

Football Jock outfit
Backetball . . .Jock outfit
Sex Ed Sexual PI
Math . . . . . .None
Science None

Edit: For Wicked and Weak, you want Unfriendly PI.
Alright, thanks. Time for a speed run.

Actually, looking at the FAQ, there's one ending I have yet to see. I can't even find it on YouTube. Seems like a hard one to get.

They called it "Hero Forever". Seems interesting. I'll go for it next time through.

They split it up, since there's certain actions that affect the first part of the ending, and there's other actions that affect the 2nd part of the ending. They don't necessarily intertwine, and it seems you can get the endings mixed up in many different ways.

John Harker said:
I didn't do any of that and that's the ending I got.

Actually the only thing I did on that list is watch Lisa change. The rest? Nope!
And I got that ending on my currently-only play thru :)

Well, that ending plus
Cheryl reuniting with Dhalia mother scene

I got that little extra ending also on play through #2. Didn't get it on #1. It seems that one can pop up along with any of the other two variable ending parts. Maybe. I have no idea what makes this one show up. The FAQ I've read makes no mention of this ending. And I can't locate it on YouTube.

So, until I figure out what causes it, I'll keep that file right at the end. I consider it special at this point in time :)

Ah, here's the Hero Forever ending. Those assholes are annoying as fuck, but this is the only video I can find of it.
This also has the part where Cheryl leaves the clinic and hugs her mother. Still don't know what triggers that mother hugging one :) But yeah, this ending is interesting. This ending is totally different from the other ones. She totally ignores the psych, and still believes her father is alive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iupmcYKjd9c

Edit: Skip to 9 minutes.

I agree with a guy on YouTube.

In the next Silent Hill movie (if they make one), should be just like this.
Simply delusions with nightmare sequences, combined with psych sessions. With the same reveal at the end.

Star Liam Neeson has harry. I think he'd fit the part. Heck, they could eve reuse the credits song "Acceptance", from this YouTube video (WARNING, CONTAINS ENDING SPOILERS):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxV8j2m8HSk

o+- Wicked and Weak -+o

How To Get It:

Gain lots of Unfriendly PI and act like you hate everything.

Major PI:

- Watch Lisa change

I got the Wicked and Weak ending on my first playthrough but I noticed I did a few things differently than what they say at GameFAQS.
- I did not give lisa the wrong pills
-I did not say I was a bully
- I put one abstract image as being sexual the rest not.
- Also I looked at lots of breasts :lol

Worst part is I played as if the character was me and now I find out that the ending I get is unfriendly and like I hate everything. :( Apparently I'm an asshole

Sadist

The Japanese boxart, I like.

124630.jpg

rdaneel72

I have spent this week reading this entire thread!!! So glad to see this game is getting some positive feedback. I have played it three times since Christmas, and it has gotten under my skin like no game since Killer7, and that is high praise.

The forum I usually frequent has no input on this game other than my own diatribe, so reading all of these interpretations has been exciting. I have read about events in this thread that I have not seen, even after 3 playthroughs,
like watching Lisa get changed!!!
. That is awesome!

I felt the need to purge some of my own thoughts. I don't expect they will be any great revelations, but I must get them out of my head to exist on the internet so they may become real.

On the nightmares:
While I didn't necessarily enjoy the chase sequences, I felt they were very effective. Many videogames portray the player as an armed-to-the-teeth badass, and there is nothing scary when you're carrying a shotgun. The confusion of the warped landscapes and the inability to defend yourself really emphasizes how vulnerable a typical person would feel if thrust into such a situation. And that was the point, I think.

Also, I think I noticed that the game adjusted the number and ferocity of the monsters after you failed a particular chase several times. In fact, during my first playthrough,
during the photo mision in the high school nightmare, I managed to take only one pic before constantly failing. After 7 or 8 failures, the ice statue blocking the exit shattered and let me continue the game. Of course, I did not receive all three pic msgs, and it was only upon my 2nd playthrough that I realized those pics I was taking were of Cheryl's past!!!
. So, there may be penalties for failure, but eventually the game seems to scale back the monsters so that you can eventually exit the nightmare and continue the story.

That said, the
forest/sawmill/hunting lodge
nightmare was the must confusing and frustrating, and being so
early in the game
certainly caused some ragequits!!! And while quickly accessing your map with the d-pad, and then zooming it out pauses the game, putting your phone away and getting back to fleeing takes entirely too long.

On cellphone/msgs:
I love the use of the cellphone in the game. It was a subtle way to eliminate menus that take you out of the experience, and it used the Wiimote speaker to great effect. And to the argument that the static->flash of light->message routine was not scary after the first few times it happened, I agree, but I would argue that it was rather an effective means of providing backstory in game. Is stumbing across randomly placed newspaper clippings, letters or ripped-out diary pages any less contrived?

The real significance of the messages and voicemails was not really clear to me until after my second playthrough. As noted above
I did not get all 3 pix in the high school my first time through, so it was a revelation to me the second time when I realized the scenes I was photographing were actually Cheryl's memories. I then started to think that everything you received via the cellphone were parts of Cheryl's past. The family vacation in the cabin (with the toy piano that makes animal sounds), the father and daughter at the gumball machine, the little girl in the hospital, the girl calling her mom from the ranger station during a party in the woods (and the bloody sleeping bag you find later) and the shoplifting teen; all of these were not residual hauntings of past events in Silent Hill, but memories of events in Cheryl's own mind. After all, if the entire adventure is merely a metaphor for Cheryl's therapy (as I believe), then the town you are wandering through is not really Silent Hill, but rather a mental construct of it created by Cheryl's psyche.

But you probably already know that. Another point I found interesting about the cellphone:
if Harry died 18 years ago, how does he have such a modern cellphone? He died long before cellphones became ubiquitous, and his is an obvious iPhone clone. But, since adult Cheryl has constructed Harry within her psyche, she has given him a cellphone because, well, everyone has them now. There is a great moment in the diner with Cybil where Harry does not even seem to know he has a cellphone, and for a moment, the device is a mystery to him, as it would be to anyone from 1991. A nice touch, I thought.

On what is really going on:
First, I must say this, even though this issue was resolved weeks ago, I only read through the debate recently. Some have attempted to somehow tie Shattered Memories in with the original PSX game, while others have said that such an attempt was pointless. And while I personally believe SM stands on its own, I also must confess that I did not play any previous games in the series.

Critical analysis of literature is a very personal journey. What the reader (gamer?) brings with them to the process is as important as the author's intentions, and thus, every interpretation is different. As long as the reader can support his views with evidence from the work, his interpretation cannot be dismissed. In fact, I would argue that the reader's personal interpretation has more value than the author's intentions. Imagery and symbolism can be manifested so deeply in the subconscious that even the author is not aware of it. So while Climax says this game is a "re-imagining" with no ties to the original, that does not invalidate the possibility of a connection.

I believe this entire game takes place within Cheryl's psyche. There are no ties to the "real" Silent Hill, and the town of Silent Hill itself has no history of supernatural activity. It is just a normal town without cults or demons. All of the characters Harry meets during the game are constructs of Cheryl's psyche. While they may take the form of real people she has met in the real world, they are merely projections of aspects of her psyche. Harry does not interact with the real world in any way.

Cybil, Lisa and Michelle form an interesting trio. I was even entertaining the idea that these three represent the three components of Freud's structural model of the psyche (id, ego, superego), but I cannot support that with my limited knowledge of psychology. Cybil is the easiest to define as a representation of truth, order, authority and civilization (superego?) She is trying to help Harry make sense of what is going on, and every time she attempt to reveal to Harry some nuggest of truth, the world freezes over and the monsters are summoned. Cybil is Cheryl's projection of truth, but the other two are harder to define.

Also, Dahlia. Real Dahlia is Cheryl's mother, and Harry meets her briefly in the apartment above the pawn shop (another example of reality invading Cheryl's fantasy). Young Dahlia is a tougher nut to crack. Cheryl blames her mother for her parents' divorce, and her father's death, so it makes sense that Cheryl's projecton of her mother would be less than flattering. I see young Dahlia as a siren, who seduces good wholesome Harry, and eventually tricks him into marrying her. Others have suggested that young Dahlia is a representation of Cheryl herself and her Electra complex. A good theory, to be sure.

One last question I pose to those who have not skipped over this absurdly long post of blacked-out spoilers.
If the whole game takes place in Cheryl's psyche, but the videotaped segments in each ending are reality, and if Cheryl went to high school with Michelle, but Harry died when Cheryl was seven, how does Harry end up making a sex tape with Michelle (and Lisa) years before?
That one thorws off my whole understanding of what is going on.

I could go on and on about this game. A videogame that inspires this type of critical analysis is a rare thing. Many within the industry have championed videogames as the definitave medium for conveying (potentially) gripping narratives, but very few games live up to that potential. Games are about action and conflict, but narrative is about characters. Climax has figured that out.

Everything in this game serves the narrative. The empty town, the nightmares and the monsters, the inability to die, the confusing scene-changes, the inability to fight; everything serves the story and that amazing ending. Climax had a vision for this game, and they honed-in on that vision and deleted anything that did not serve that singular purpose. Such a risky move is to be commended.

Forgive me for the novella. If nothing else, it will serve to bump this topic back to the front page and remind those who have yet to purchase ths game that they need to do just that!!!

SlipperySlope said:
I agree with a guy on YouTube.

In the next Silent Hill movie (if they make one), should be just like this.
Simply delusions with nightmare sequences, combined with psych sessions. With the same reveal at the end.

Star Liam Neeson has harry. I think he'd fit the part. Heck, they could eve reuse the credits song "Acceptance", from this YouTube video (WARNING, CONTAINS ENDING SPOILERS):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxV8j2m8HSk
The story and subsequent ending would never work in any other medium than video games.
Trying to hide who the person in the psyche sessions was in a movie is would be next to impossible. Doing them in first person would be too awkward for a movie and probably telegraph that something is up and never having the patient speak in a therapy session would also not work. This is one of the rare times where a story can only be properly conveyed through interactivity and the conventions of video games.

Hellsing321 said:
The story and subsequent ending would never work in any other medium than video games.
Trying to hide who the person in the psyche sessions was in a movie is would be next to impossible. Doing them in first person would be too awkward for a movie and probably telegraph that something is up and never having the patient speak in a therapy session would also not work. This is one of the rare times where a story can only be properly conveyed through interactivity and the conventions of video games.

I thought about that, and I could only assume they'd be able to do it in first person. But you're right, it'd be hard to pull off. Perhaps the psych would simply talk, while in first person, without Cheryl doing anything in particular? Perhaps she'd just respond with head movements for yes and no?

But in the end, you're probably right, and it'd be nearly impossible. I wonder if they'd be able to it without the psych scenes, but Harry still ends up at the clinic while Cheryl is with the psych.

Or maybe they can still make it 3rd person. Put her in jeans and a winter coat with the hood up? Eh, that probably wouldn't work either.

I'm going in circles :) So, in conclusion, take out the psych scenes.

I think one of the reasons Shattered Memories is so great is that it really is something that could only be told in the video game medium, for multiple reasons. The way the story is structured along with the ability to change aspects of the story based on choices. It just wouldn't work as a movie. Yet at the same time, Shattered Memories does away with a lot of the "gamey" aspects of video games, such as combat and inventory sub systems etc. It's a great story, told in a way that only video games allow. And I think that's really unique, one usually doesn't see game play serve a narrative so well.

Just remaking it as a movie would lose what makes SM so amazing to me, and would be impossible without major changes.

Wuuuuuut!!!!!???? There are more endings?! got 4+ UFO, and never heard of the Hero Forever one. Man this game keeps surprising me with the psych profile variation.
Sadist said:
The Japanese boxart, I like.

124630.jpg
Don't usually care for box art, but it's definitely better than the US one. lowering the brightness FTW!!!

Somnium986 said:
Wuuuuuut!!!!!???? There are more endings?! got 4+ UFO, and never heard of the Hero Forever one. Man this game keeps surprising me with the psych profile variation.

Don't usually care for box art, but it's definitely better than the US one. lowering the brightness FTW!!!

The endings are split up like this:

There's 3 main parts that can change depending on how you play.

The first part has 3 variations.
These are when Harry meets Cheryl
The 2nd part has 1 variation (it's either there or it isn't. I have no idea whatsoever what triggers it)
This is when Cheryl leaves the clinic and hugs her mom
The 3rd part has 4 variations.
These are the ones in the home video

Hero Forever is a variation on the first part only. It's cool though. Completely different from the other ones. There's only one video on YouTube that I've located that has it.

SlipperySlope said:
The endings are split up like this:

There's 3 main parts that can change depending on how you play.

The first part has 3 variations.
These are when Harry meets Cheryl
The 2nd part has 1 variation (it's either there or it isn't. I have no idea whatsoever what triggers it)
This is when Cheryl leaves the clinic and hugs her mom
The 3rd part has 4 variations.
These are the ones in the home video

Hero Forever is a variation on the first part only. It's cool though. Completely different from the other ones. There's only one video on YouTube that I've located that has it.
Wow thanks! Looks like i have more playing to do. I've seen the youtube video. Kinda reminds me of the Maria ending in SH2. My only gripe with this game is the lack of extras. Guess they were cut for the sake of immersion.:/

tmarques

How do you watch Lisa change anyway? I'm pretty sure Harry sat down on the couch on his own and the game wouldn't let me get up until she was done.

tmarques said:
How do you watch Lisa change anyway? I'm pretty sure Harry sat down on the couch on his own and the game wouldn't let me get up until she was done.
No, your free to look around.
As soon as you sit down look to you're left. And be ready to be surprised.
:lol Also your a perv.:p

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Nice post Rdaneel72, can't really click on all the spoilers since I haven't beat it yet.

I can't believe how I hate the US and EU boxarts and yet I freakin' love, nei LOVE!, the japanese boxart. Simply awesome, thanks for posting that Sadist, gonna look for an high-res printable version and stick it on my box.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Whelp, finally got me the PSP version .. played a good 2 or so hours, and found my save glitched when i wanted to continue later lol, restarted again and am extremely surprised at how slight differences in choices completely changed the locations and characters (well same character, just completely different look and interaction) so drastically.

God damn, this looks like a game that'll require 5 or so play throughs to get the full feel of .. are there multiple endings, and if so how many ?

MiniDitka

chandoog said:
Whelp, finally got me the PSP version .. played a good 2 or so hours, and found my save glitched when i wanted to continue later lol, restarted again and am extremely surprised at how slight differences in choices completely changed the locations and characters (well same character, just completely different look and interaction) so drastically.

God damn, this looks like a game that'll require 5 or so play throughs to get the full feel of .. are there multiple endings, and if so how many ?
I think this is accurate.

Encounter Ending( in the therapy room)

Broken
Bearer of Guilt
Hero Forever

Videotape ending(plays after the therapy ending)

Love Lost
Sleaze and Sirens
Wicked and Weak
Drunk Dad
UFO

Ice world Wii/PS2 comparison video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj9ZR6G1zk4

MiniDitka said:
I think this is accurate.

Encounter Ending( in the therapy room)

Broken
Bearer of Guilt
Hero Forever

Videotape ending(plays after the therapy ending)

Love Lost
Sleaze and Sirens
Wicked and Weak
Drunk Dad
UFO

Ice world Wii/PS2 comparison video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj9ZR6G1zk4

The biggest differences I noticed was they took out the yellow light from the flare, the flare particles, and obviously, the flashlight differences.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I kinda feel sorry for the people not able to play this game on the Wii.

This is one of the best examples of a Third Party Wii game that just shouldn't be experience without wiimote controls. The use of pointer/flashlight, phone/wiimote speaker, puzzles made for pointer control, Actual good wiimote gestures, Psych meetings, Ability to point and zoom in on every single thing in this game, etc. are really quite brilliant and make great use of the wiimote. I couldn't even imagine playing it any other way.

But, I'm glad more people will still be able to experience the awesome story. I just think, without the wiimote, your taking almost everything away that made the gameplay in Shattered Memories actually fun.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
wait ..there's multiple endings for both the "game" part AND the therapy part ?

damn ...

I just did the part with
what's her face, Michelle ? and her boyfriend fighting in the car, if I were in harry's place i'd be going "awkwaaaaaaaaard"

CoolS

So without having read to much impressions in this thread (afraid of spoilers):

How good is this game? Amazon has it pretty cheap for preordering right now and I'm thinking about buying it. I never played a Silent Hill game before but I like subtle, not so gorey horror. Will this be for me?

scitek

SlipperySlope said:
The biggest differences I noticed was they took out the yellow light from the flare, the flare particles, and obviously, the flashlight differences.

The filter that gives things the wavy look when looking through the ice looks like it's missing in the PS2 version, too.

How do the real-time transitions hold up in the PS2 version? The only one I've seen is when you come out of the second nightmare sequence and the bridge no longer warps back into shape, are they all like that?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
CoolS said:

How good is this game? Amazon has it pretty cheap for preordering right now and I'm thinking about buying it. I never played a Silent Hill game before but I like subtle, not so gorey horror. Will this be for me?

Pretty awesome. This was my first Silent Hill as well. This game is much more of a horror/adventure then your typical gore horror. Lots of exploring and puzzles broken up with the nightmare scenes were you basically just run for your life. Wiimote controls, atmosphere, and story are the big positives here.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Eh, my one complaint is that while it has atmosphere and creepiness in spades, its a bit short on truly disturbing and scary stuff. But damn, it was great to play through.

megalowho

CoolS said:

You will probably like Silent Hill. I know I did, never played the series before either. There's not any gore I can recall, it plays less like a typical horror game and more like a surreal adventure. Great use of the Wii remote and the storytelling devices are about as unique as you'll find in gaming. If any of that sounds appealing, preorder away

Medalion

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Eh, my one complaint is that while it has atmosphere and creepiness in spades, its a bit short on truly disturbing and scary stuff. But damn, it was great to play through.

I suspect it's because they were trying to go for more realistic horror, outside of the nightmare sequences to stray from the occult stuff that the original franchise had so much of.

I keep noticing new things every play through *end-game spoilers ahead beware!*

This play through, I finally realized why there is a Forest section at all. I got the message saying the girl was unknowingly drugged and she keeps taking off her clothes, and realized the picture is Cheryl. So that's a bad memory for her.

The other thing I just noticed on this play through was that two of the girls that talk to Harry say they fall for guys that look like their father. Why didn't I notice this in play through #2? So that means that Cheryl falls for men that look like her father. Explains why I originally thought the teacher looked like Harry. Because he does :)

Edit: Just noticed new thing #3. Same play through. Inside the toystore, there is a dollhouse. In the dollhouse is Harry, his wife, and Cheryl watching a TV showing static. Harry then mentions "Every little girl's dream"

Edit 2: Just noticed new thing #4 on this play through. There's a dead dog ghost which I never saw before. It's the family pet :(

CoolS said:

It was my first Silent Hill. And I loved it. So go for it.

MiniDitka

scitek said:
The filter that gives things the wavy look when looking through the ice looks like it's missing in the PS2 version, too.

How do the real-time transitions hold up in the PS2 version? The only one I've seen is when you come out of the second nightmare sequence and the bridge no longer warps back into shape, are they all like that?
Wii/PS2 transition video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFADEne_wfU

Fantastical

Death Prophet
CoolS said:

Personally, I LOVE this game and I've never played a Silent Hill before. It has an amazing story, and the imagery and the way it is presented is done sooo well. It's definitely not too gorey, and this game really freaked me out unlike other games have. It's not really "scary" but... it just has this very surreal feel to it that's just kind of creepy.

This game makes me want to go and play all the Silent Hill games (I currently don't have a means to) even though it was developed by different people. I mean, I thought this game was REALLY good, although it is short.

CoolS

Ok, all you guys made me preorder the game :)

But I think for 30€. I can't go wrong with all these possitive impressions.Looking forward to it.

sphinx

the piano man
Shurs said:
Is the game compatible with the Backwards Compatible 80gb PS3?

oh, I am not really sure.

As far as I know, the earliest PS3 models with a PS2 integrated into it should run this game right away. I am not well informed about later models but I recall PS3 then later using other method for the BC (emulation?) and that's where I can't tell but if a PS3 is BC, regardless of the method or model, then I can't see why it won't run PS2 games.

Sorry if I am just typing nonsense. Maybe you can rent it and try it?

Top Bottom