• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

John Harker said:
I think you guys are kooky. I really like SM's music.

I hated it when I first heard it but some tracks really grew on me. Acceptance is the best vocal song in the series followed by Elle's Theme from Homecoming.

BARKSTAR

Banned
This game was amazing. Never played Homecoming or Origins as after Silent Hill 4 I had been let down by how the series was progressing. I never thought I'd play another Silent Hill as great as Silent Hill 2 but then this comes along and nails it.

Great use of the Wii and superb graphics and effects throughout. Few dodgy puzzles here and there and the occassional frustrating moment but nothing to bad as to ruin the experience. Not too scary surprisingly but the atmosphere is superb and the story was very well handled and you get a good pay off for putting in the time to complete it.

Everybody wanting an great third party Wii game that uses the strengths of the console and delivers a great game and an emotional experience to boot should go and get this now. One of the best games on the system.

Gomu Gomu

BARKSTAR said:
This game was amazing. Never played Homecoming or Origins as after Silent Hill 4 I had been let down by how the series was progressing. I never thought I'd play another Silent Hill as great as Silent Hill 2 but then this comes along and nails it.

Great use of the Wii and superb graphics and effects throughout.
Few dodgy puzzles here and there and the occassional frustrating moment but nothing to bad as to ruin the experience. Not too scary surprisingly but the atmosphere is superb and the story was very well handled and you get a good pay off for putting in the time to complete it.

Everybody wanting an great third party Wii game that uses the strengths of the console and delivers a great game and an emotional experience to boot should go and get this now. One of the best games on the system.

ِare you kidding me?

silenttwn

For people having trouble with the waggling during chase sequences, this might help - this game responds way better with small nuanced movements instead of exaggerated gestures. It basically has saved my opinion on this game, because at first I was really flustered at the sequences. Now I'm a boss.

caligula13

Gold Member
i still cannot believe how good this game is. just wandering around and listening to all phone calls is great. i could do without the nightmare parts but i understand that a game needs enemies and blahblah.

BARKSTAR

Banned
Gomu Gomu said:
ِare you kidding me?

No I genuinely thought the graphics were great. The torch light was superb and was great how it bent around walls etc when against them. Great use of shadows, snow effects, water etc were great. Thought character faces were very detailed and the lip sync etc was for the most part spot on.

Also I loved how you could walk up to pretty much any sign or poster in the game and could read it directly and in some instances this looked very sharp. Pretty good graphics engine going right there. The only downside was the constant dips in frame rate, especially while using the torch but never to tragic as to ruin the experience.

I played this on a 52" BRAVIA as well and I was quite impressed for the most part. Each to their own though.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Gomu Gomu said:
ِare you kidding me?

are you kidding us? SM easily has some of the best graphics and best use of the Wii remote on the console. I thought this was one of the few things (nearly) universally agreed upon about the game :lol

caligula13 said:
i still cannot believe how good this game is. just wandering around and listening to all phone calls is great. i could do without the nightmare parts but i understand that a game needs enemies and blahblah.

I hope Climax gives it another go. I almost liked Shattered Memories. The biggest thing that held it back for me was the inability to explore the icy dimensions. If they fixed that one thing it would really go a long way I think. The heart was there, there were just too many overall problems I had with things that I feel are completely significant in a Silent Hill title. That's just the thing though and I think it's why I had such a hard time explaining my feelings for the game. I liked plenty about it. It's just that the things I didn't like were a seriously low blow to my enjoyment so I couldn't decide which one to side with. It's like, well on one hand... but on the other hand...

Like I said I want them to give it another shot. Keep the same sort of gameplay, give it better exploration, make it about an hour or so longer and I think I would be ready to disco.

Gomu Gomu

John Harker said:
are you kidding us? SM easily has some of the best graphics and best use of the Wii remote on the console. I thought this was one of the few things (nearly) universally agreed upon about the game :lol
I don't disagree with the Wii mote uses being good. But come on, the graphics weren't good at all, even compared with other Wii games.

Gomu Gomu

silenttwn said:
yup

Just to be more clear, this is what I love/hate about it:
Gomu Gomu said:
Finished the game a while ago. Gameplay wise, I thought it was boring. You are basically doing nothing but running through the city. And those chase sequences could not have been more atrocious. And the puzzles, while I appreciate having them, weren't good enough. HOWEVER, I think the development team did an outstanding job building Silent Hill city. My god, the amount of details in every room, every corridor and every corner is just fascinating. To be hones,t, I don't remember any of the original games very well, but I think Shattered Memories built the best and most believable SH city yet. walking through the city felt real to me. The funny thing is, graphically, I think this game is ugly as a sin lol. Also had some frameratre issues here and there.

The story and characters didn't interest me at all. But I have to say, I fucking LOVED the twist in the end. Never saw it coming. The ending alone totally justifies this game to me. So in the end, I thought the game did somethings right, but unfortunately, the pacing and the mechanics were not good at all. If you want to play a different game than your everyday shooter or whatever, this is a fairly good choice, but don't expect anything fancy.

Kevtones

Gomu Gomu said:
I don't disagree with the Wii mote uses being good. But come on, the graphics weren't good at all, even compared with other Wii games.

Do you have fits of blindness?
Yes X No

Have you taken the form of a troll before?
Yes X No

Am I wrong?
Yes X No

botticus

brandonh83 said:
I hope Climax gives it another go. I almost liked Shattered Memories. The biggest thing that held it back for me was the inability to explore the icy dimensions. If they fixed that one thing it would really go a long way I think. The heart was there, there were just too many overall problems I had with things that I feel are completely significant in a Silent Hill title. That's just the thing though and I think it's why I had such a hard time explaining my feelings for the game. I liked plenty about it. It's just that the things I didn't like were a seriously low blow to my enjoyment so I couldn't decide which one to side with. It's like, well on one hand... but on the other hand...

Like I said I want them to give it another shot. Keep the same sort of gameplay, give it better exploration, make it about an hour or so longer and I think I would be ready to disco.
While I thought the nightmare elements - the creatures themselves - were the weakest part, and I didn't really enjoy them, I'm curious if removing them (and any real physical conflict) entirely would help or hinder the overall experience.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I'm thinking of picking it up for the PSP. Anyone think it's worth it given the control and graphics downgrade?

This sounds like my type of game and it's only $35CDN.

mantidor

wow I just realized
how damn perfect it is that the theme of the game is always on my mind, brilliant

The soundtrack indeed grows on you.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
So I just beat the game. I'm surprised, I didn't think I'd enjoy this game as much as I did due to Silent Hill Origins being rather mediocre, but boy did Climax prove me wrong. The story is by far the best thing about the game. It actually reminds me of Silent Hill 2 due to
the game not focusing on the cult and having a plot primarily psychologically based.
And in regards to the plot, I'd rank it pretty high up there, right behind Silent Hill 2. Wasn't a big fan of the nightmare scenes; the last one was particularly annoying. I felt like I was just randomly roaming about during the scenes. I really enjoyed the game though. It was "different" but the team did an amazing job crafting such a great game. I'd love to see Climax make another entry since they clearly know how to make a good Silent Hill game.

GC|Simon

If you're interested... I wrote a English review, you can read it on my blog. I'm not a native speaker, so don't expect 1up like quality or something like that.

A few days ago I started again and played until the school - and I still love it. I hope Climax get's another chance to make a Silent Hill on Wii!

Sadist

I got the game today, first impressions are good. I like the "SHERYLL!!!" button. Harry sounds so helpless. The phone feature is quite cool as well. The only thing that feels a bit random is shaking of the enemies. Felt a bit weird.

Will be hard to play because I also got A Boy and his Blob

Hiltz

Yeah, shaking off the enemies takes some getting used to.

I enjoyed the game as well and I hope Climax will make another Silent Hill game for the Wii. I love the music tracks with the vocals by Mary Elizabeth. I really liked the Wii controls used in the game except the physics are kind of wonky for some of the puzzle-solving where you had to pick up and move them or turn them upside down.

I'll have to find the time to play through the game again.

I wish Climax had made the
wheelchair
part significantly longer. That was really fun to use with motion control.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Hiltz said:
I wish Climax had made the
wheelchair
part significantly longer. That was really fun to use with motion control.
I think that was about as long as they could have made it, mostly because I was just laughing the whole time through that sequence. If they made it longer I don't know what I would have done :lol

Tab0203

This game is pretty good. The controls could have been even better, but this is a good effort. It's about time!

The flashlight mechanic works exactly as expected. It's basically RE4 (hybrid analog stick camera + pointer w/o bounding box) with a well implemented bounding box + strafing, i.e., smooth cinematic camera movement. In-game! I love it. Also, the speaker works really well.

caligula13 said:
So true!

The 'enemies can't be killed'/no weapons concept is interesting. Having said that, I’d like to see a well made Wii game with a flashlight, guns, realistic injuries/gore/physics, gravity/Elebits gun, motion+, vitality sensor, controls customization, etc. :p Advertise it, and it'll sell millions.

I've been watching quite a few Silent Hill videos over the past few weeks (walkthroughs, speed runs) including this one:

Mary Elizabeth McGlynn Focus Panel Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTi3NAX2t2g#t=2m26s
For those of you that have played Silent Hill, you know that it's a really dark, scary moody piece, and it's a terrifying game. All of the fear - yes, there are monsters and everything - but most of it is just you walking through a hallway with a flashlight, you know? (person in the audience: yeah!) And it's all audio design. So you hear these things in the background, and you think to yourself 'What is that?' ...
Pretty much. It's all about audio design, atmosphere and exploration. The combat looks terrible, as do the controls.

Keyser Soze said:
I love that AmazonUK does not even have boxart up for this game... :lol

:/
EatChildren said:
I really hope Climax are given another shot with a bit more of a budget and support, and again on the Wii. ...
scitek said:
... Hopefully it's a slow burner because it's getting a lot of good word-of-mouth, and I bet a lot of people that were initially not into buying it might because of what they hear.
TheDrowningMan said:
I finished Heavy Rain on friday and this yesterday.
Oni Jazar said:
Really wipes the floor to the crappy, "Jaahhhson!" in Heavy Rain.
Most Wii owners don't even know this game exists.

A friend of mine (veteran PC gamer, PC/Wii user, relatively informed, prefers gameplay over cutscenes) asked me about Heavy Rain and never even heard of Silent Hill for the Wii. He didn't know anything about Heavy Rain, just read one article, and simply wanted to know what it's all about. I explained/showed it to him in detail. Now he's more interested in Silent Hill.

2ugggug.jpg

*edit*

Mael

I Push Fat Kids said:
Do you have fits of blindness?
Yes X No

Have you taken the form of a troll before?
Yes X No

Am I wrong?
Yes X No
:lol :lol :lol

Someone really like his memories shattered....

Anyway I picked it up today without even meaning to,
it was on my radar and I planned on picking Picross 3D because Picross DS is one of the finest game ever, but when I saw that Shattered memories was at 40 bucks I said what the heck why not and picked it up.
They gotta stop selling Wii games at the price of DS games....
Anyway this game is fucked up,
very beautiful but I can't make head or tails of the story so far
I'm at the mall
The chase sequences are a indeed chases in the sense that it's Henry running for his life until he stumbles on the door that make the sequence end :-/
I gotta say the fact that you can't defend yourself and can barely survive an encounter (dear god I suck at the waggle qtes, I know that you must NOT push any button while doing it but still) makes for a much scarier game than what I'm used to (heck re5 is WAY scarier for me than re4 because the controls suck so much in re5).

This game is giving me a headache though (and that's not a good sign) might be the whole ice theme that I'm not very warm to...
Seriously you can't quite feel the lack of warmth...
The game is very weird though, it's like you're in a ghost town where unspeakable stuffs happened before and you're there picking up pieces and bit.....
I don't even know who died and who survived there
(except for that girl, dead as a steak if you ask me)

I can't tell how it'll end and that's really great for me!

Yes this is my first Silent Hill, yes I did blind buy this game based on general impressions (mainly this thread), no I don't do this much because there's not that much game that look that interesting.

edit : and I fucking love the flashlight, maybe the best way to be put into the mood for the game, I didn't think I'd love that so much

And side note :
I saw this just next to each others :
House of the Dead Overkill : 57€
Dead Space Extraction : 12€
Resident Evil Darkside Chronicle : 39 €

I don't know why but it made me laugh...:lol

Sadist

This game is making me uncomfortable, which is good considering the genre of SH.

I'm at the school, just called "Big Bear" in the Planetarium and he told me the door is unlocked.
The game itself is just weird. You know that there won't be any danger outside of the Nightmare world, but even in the normal world the game has this strange vibe. Streets are covered with snow, no people around, the places that Harry researches are pretty much dumps... awesome.

I like the Nightmare World better now, because I found a good way to shake my enemies off fast.

Haint

I loved this game, best SH since 2. Did Fatal Frame take advantage of the Wiimote at all? The flashlight controls really made this game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Reallink said:
I loved this game, best SH since 2. Did Fatal Frame take advantage of the Wiimote at all? The flashlight controls really made this game.

No. Fatal Frame IV has this bizzaro gesture based flashlight control that feels nowhere remotely as good as it does in Shattered Memories.

Hiltz

I was impressed by how Climax was able to make the game feel scary during the exploration parts especially at night. It almost gave me the same kind of vibe as Resident Evil Remake.

I always freaked out when you get to those parts where the environments quickly become covered in ice.

Sadist

I finished this about half an hour ago.

Holy shit @ the ending.
You could see it coming when you reached the Lighthouse and the sign of the psychiatrist. Great stuff. My ending was the one where Harry was wearing his getup when he took Sheryl to the amusementpark.

Overall, I really like the game. My only major complaint would be the weird controls to shake off the enemies. At times it works, at times it doesn't. But the nightmare world itself is amazing. I know some people will dislike the fact that they're helpless and can't defend themselves. Personally, I enjoyed it. Its very tense and you're always running. The map might not be that handy, but hey: I managed quite well.

As for the story, excellent. There were several mindfucks like
Old Dahlia
and when
Harry and Dahlia "drowned"
en the lines and dialogue are quite excellent. The conversations with
Michelle
are pretty damn cool. The psychiatrist overall might be the best. I really liked these parts, allthough the psych profiling itself is purely cosmetic but fun.

I also enjoyed the flashlight functionality and the phone. Especialy the last one might be the coolest feature in the game. You could call some random people, receive text messages... played an important role and in my opinion it delivered.

So yeah, this game is awesome. Going to read this thread right now and play me some more to see all the possible endings.

mantidor

I'm interested to know some exact figures too, but I read around the internet that it did in the level of previous SH games, so it bombed, but not badly.

Man

I asked for this at EB today (Scandinavia) and they said it was listed as an 'C item' in the system. That meant sales were so bad in other regions that they don't store it. First time I've ever encountered this.

nightez said:
Sorry to bump an old thread. But how well did this game sell eventually? Hope it did well for them

Not nearly well enough.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that I really disliked individual parts of this game. However, on the whole, I think it's one of the best games on the system. It's just so...unique, but it doesn't use the excuse of being different as a reason to keep from going full hog.

There's a lot of things I'd change, but what's there I'm extremely happy with.

it's still awesome.

comparisons with Heavy Rain seem very apt, though I haven't had a chance to play that yet. if it does as much for interactive fiction as Shattered Memories does i'll love it.

it's just a bit of a shame that Shattered Memories is going to be the 'Dark City' to Heavy Rain's 'The Matrix'.

beje

Banned
If they make another Silent Hill using this same style, I really hope they put more jump scares and creepy shit happening in normal world, even if it's harmless.

I mean, ghosts running and screaming caught me off-guard several times, more of them appearing out of nowhere with the only purpose to walk in front of you or popping on the screen from behind a door when you open it and start looking around in first person would be really superb.

plagiarize said:
it's still awesome.

comparisons with Heavy Rain seem very apt, though I haven't had a chance to play that yet. if it does as much for interactive fiction as Shattered Memories does i'll love it.

it's just a bit of a shame that Shattered Memories is going to be the 'Dark City' to Heavy Rain's 'The Matrix'.

It rose in the Wii charts in the UK last week. Went from 11 to 5. I'm guessing there were supply issues.

Boney

Banned
I finished it a few weeks ago while I was on holiday, and got the good ending.

Really enjoyed the game, the places you go, feel so creepy and well made, it's fantastic, I've never seen anything like that.
The no fighting part, was something I enjoyed, but wouldn't necesarily want it in more games, unless some things change up. It worked well in this one, so it's alright, especially in the story sense.

One of my major gripes with the game, was the camara. I only found like 2 (if that) of the special pictures, I just didn't know where to take the pictures. Was it just me?

I'm not the biggest Silent Hill player, but saw my brother play most of the first one as I was little, and know a bits about the others. And played some of origins.

My brother had downloaded Silent Hill's 1 and 2's soundtrack, so I'm familiar with the style they use, and although this game had a very different style, it style worked okay, thanks to a very different message and feeling it tries to convey.

Kudos to Climax, for crafting this wonderful experience, I think it was a pretty ballsy proposition and they delivered. And I believe it worked better than a straight up adaptation of the first Silent Hill, in the traditional sense.

BTW, could somebody give a hint of how to get the other endings? I know somebody already did, but it was a long time ago, and I really can't remember who was it or where.

teiresias

I finished this last week and may do another play through just to consciously make different profile choices, but I can't really say I'm terribly impressed with it. I mean, I like the exploration parts, I just wish that carried over into the "otherworld", which I felt turned into sequences that were more annoying than anything else. They also tend to stop the narrative in its tracks for no real reason since until you get to the pretty much the very last one they don't really provide any new insight into the characters or the situations, unlike the other games in the series.

For the kind of game it is I liked it well enough, it just wasn't scary at all or moody enough for my tastes. I do think it's worth playing, however, for a fan of the series or otherwise simply as an interesting narrative told in a uniquely videogame way.

Top Bottom