• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

MiniDitka

CoolS said:
No, not that I know of.
I got one for the Wii which I didn't preorder but forgot to ask about it when I picked up the PS2 version which I did preorder. If anyone wants the soundtrack just let me know as I already have it uploaded.

I'm probably going to do play through #4 sometime in the next few days. My problem is I keep getting lost in the last nightmare :) I need to get that shit memorized one day...

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
SlipperySlope said:
I'm probably going to do play through #4 sometime in the next few days. My problem is I keep getting lost in the last nightmare :) I need to get that shit memorized one day...
It's not that hard.
Just look for the door with ice around it

doomed1 said:
It's not that hard.
Just look for the door with ice around it

Hmm.
That's what I did the 2nd play through. It didn't work so well in play through #3.

I got stuck in the hallway with like 6+ doors in it. Kept trying different doors and always ended up in that freaking room again :D I was stuck there for like 10 minutes. Surprised I was able to evade the creatures.

Edit 2:
I also got lost on the train one on play through #3, whereas I got passed that one first try on #2 too. I was just sloppy as fuck. Don't know what was wrong with me, messing up those nightmares worse than before...

On the train one, my mistake was I went to the wrong door right after you climb under the train. I went through the door on the left, where I was supposed to go through the door on the right.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
SlipperySlope said:
Hmm.
That's what I did the 2nd play through. It didn't work so well in play through #3.

I got stuck in the hallway with like 6+ doors in it. Kept trying different doors and always ended up in that freaking room again :D I was stuck there for like 10 minutes. Surprised I was able to evade the creatures.
What should happen is that you'll encounter more and more ice until you come to the door you need to be at. There will be plenty of rooms that repeat, just keep going.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh fucking wow .. just finished the game .. I dare say this easily tops SH2 in terms of a game changing plot-twist .

I don't know which ending I got .. it was
where Harry wakes up at the lighthouse and Cybil tells him that he's been dead for 18 years, then he walks into the doctor's office, and in the therapy room the Doc. starts yelling at "harry" and smashes his glass against the window telling me that my father wasn't the hero I think he was, he's dead etc etc .. and Harry walks in the door !

God damn that was an incredibly awesome moment, but he just says something like "i'll always be here" and freezes and Cheryl walks out quietly.

The report the doctor is writing at the end was pretty positive though, except for the "Lousy in bed ?" part ..

how are the other endings achieved ?

chandoog said:
Oh fucking wow .. just finished the game .. I dare say this easily tops SH2 in terms of a game changing plot-twist .

I don't know which ending I got .. it was
where Harry wakes up at the lighthouse and Cybil tells him that he's been dead for 18 years, then he walks into the doctor's office, and in the therapy room the Doc. starts yelling at "harry" and smashes his glass against the window telling me that my father wasn't the hero I think he was, he's dead etc etc .. and Harry walks in the door !

God damn that was an incredibly awesome moment, but he just says something like "i'll always be here" and freezes and Cheryl walks out quietly.

The report the doctor is writing at the end was pretty positive though, except for the "Lousy in bed ?" part ..

how are the other endings achieved ?

What happened in the video?

Ending spoilers ahead. Enter at your own risk.

As for the endings, that's where things get a little complicated. There's 3 main sections of the ending that change.

The 1st section has 3 variations. This is when Harry meets Cheryl in the clinic. This 3 variations are called:
Broken (Cheryl says "You've been with me for so long..." Harry says "I always will be."
Bearer of Guilt (Cheryl says "Why did you have to die? It wasn't my fault. Someone has to take the blame.". Harry says "Forget me.")
Hero Forever (which is quite a bit different from the other two, and more rare. If you want more info on this one, let me know. There is only one YouTube video that I know of that shows this ending. The video though is annoying and has two idiots talking over it. I won't describe what happens in this one, but if you want I'll tell you how to get it.)

The 2nd section has 1 variation. This either happens or it doesn't. This is when Cheryl walks out to the car and hugs her mom. I don't know what triggers this one, and the FAQ's make no reference to this variation.

The 3rd section has 4 variations. This is the section added to the end of the home video. These are called:
Love Lost (where Harry and his wife break up)
Sleaze and Sirens (where Harry has sexual transgressions and is in bed with Michelle and Lisa)
Wicked and Weak (where Harry is beaten up by his wife)
Drunk Dad (you can guess this one)

Anyway, any questions about the story?

adamsapple

SlipperySlope said:
What happened in the video?

Harry was leaving in a car and tells Cheryl that they still love her and asks her to stop recording

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OK, so... Chartzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz has this at 120k, and seeing as how that can't possibly be true (right?) I think it proves they make up numbers.

And not only that, they make up such wild numbers it's like they have a bet going to see how far they can push before people discover they're BS.

sphinx

the piano man
Andrex said:
OK, so... Chartzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz has this at 120k, and seeing as how that can't possibly be true (right?) I think it proves they make up numbers.

And not only that, they make up such wild numbers it's like they have a bet going to see how far they can push before people discover they're BS.

how can they have any other figure besides the last NPD number which was <50k??

Adam Prime said:
... so what do you have to do?

From GameFAQ's:

o+- Hero Forever -+o

How To Get It:

Build up any Fake PI that you can. Basically, you want to play off like you're
not interested in the doctor's help, just saying whatever you need to in order
to get through the therapy. Whenever you can, try to contradict yourself.

Major PI:

- Look away from the doctor while he's talking; stare at the lamp
- "True" to questions: 1 and 4
- "False" to questions: 3 and 6
- "Yes" to being a private person
- "Yes" to taking a while to be understood
- Put all the sleeping/dead photos on one side (doesn't matter which)
- "Yes" to being a slut, virgin and bully
- Don't adjust the guilt line
- "No" to all the questions about marriage
- Pair two gay couples
- Put all the abstract images on the non-sexual side

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I had the chance to play this during the weekend, as a friend of me had, for some reason I really can't fathom, imported the NTSC PS2 version (of all things). The controls were fine, but it's definitely a game tailor made for the Wii. The PS2 graphics were so-so. Not really terrible, but not as impressive as SH3 and SH4. The storytelling was amazing, and definitely the best the series has seen since the first three games (and even though I like the cult stuff, it definitely didn't harm the story that it didn't include any references to the cult mythology), Kaufman was a creepy prick and the plot twist was great (even though I knew what was coming :lol ).

That said, the game was still quite a letdown for me. The town itself was an empty, non-threatening place that didn't encourage exploration, making the game very, very linear (sure, you could always run around looking for phone numbers, but.. yeah). The puzzles were overall disappointingly easy (the only one I had any trouble figuring out was the shadow figure puzzle), and the game completely lacked the disturbing atmosphere from the earlier SH games, making the game not really all that scary. The nightmare sequences weren't all that hot either. While I'm not really a fan of games that give you no means of defense other than running away, I can live with it. But the nightmare sequences didn't really bring any tension to the table, they were mostly just frustrating. The soundtrack was completely forgettable too, but it's not really Climax's fault that Yamaoka completely phoned it in some day he was bored and had nothing else to do. The characters weren't really that fleshed out either, besides Cheryl and Harry.

I'd definitely recommend existing fans of the franchise to give it a try, and a fair shake of the stick (you might enjoy it more than I did), but I'm not really sure if I'd recommend it as an entry point to newcomers to the franchise, given how different it is from earlier SH games (PROTIP: if you liked this, you might enjoy those point n click SH: Orphan games for mobile phones, personally I thought they were quite decent). Still, I'll pick up a copy of this for my own as soon as Konami gets off their ass and gives it an official Euro PS2 release, if only to bump the sales with one copy to do my part to maybe get another SH game. I'd definitely want to have Climax give it another go, but this time combine the amazing storytelling of Shattered Memories with the 'classic' SH gameplay, and I'll be happy as a puppet nurse at Alchemilla Hospital.

For those who don't want to read my wall of text: loved the storytelling and the plot twist, disappointed by pretty much everything else.

Edit: Oh, yeah, forgot to mention that the game was surprisingly short too.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Andrex said:

Isn't that well known by now. :lol That site is garbage.

The game is short. But that also helps me play through it more to get more endings. I usually never play through a game again just to get a different ending. I've done it with this game twice. And about to give it a 4th go.

So take 4 x about 5 hours each, and I'll have put ~20 hours into the game.

scitek

Andrex said:

I think sales-age proved this by finding out Chartzzz would roll their numbers back from where they were earlier in the day and post sales-age's numbers instead. Hence, they're banned.

adamsapple

Had a little hands on time with the PS2 version of the game, and yeah it looks like the PSP version blown up, but it seems to play a lot "smoother" than the PSP version, to me at least. The grain is over the top though, wish there was some way to turn it off.

Lard

Banned
So I finished it about 5 minutes ago and all I have to say is "Meh".

It's obvious from the beginning that
it's not Harry in the psychiatrist's office

As I was playing the game I kept thinking
I hope they don't pull some bullshit Sixth Sense ending where everyone is dead
and that's exactly what they did.

There was potential for a good game in there, but it got bogged down by slapping a famous license on it to get people's attention.

I guess I could have seen making this a Silent Hill game but there was *no* reason to make it a remake and just slap the names on everyone - and then have them act completely differently. If you're going to do that, make an original game.

The worst part about the game - is Silent Hill. Silent Hill is supposed to be terrifying and instead they just made it look like Canada in the winter. There's no exploration, no sense of dread, just running around in circles while those stupid monsters jump on you. The game is called Silent Hill and they made the town crappy.

Even Yamaoka's score seemed by the numbers.

Incredibly, incredibly underwhelmed by the game. I'd rather just see the series put to rest at this point then get more cheap knockoffs.

Lard said:
The worst part about the game - is Silent Hill. Silent Hill is supposed to be terrifying and instead they just made it look like Canada in the winter. There's no exploration, no sense of dread, just running around in circles while those stupid monsters jump on you. The game is called Silent Hill and they made the town crappy.
Weird, I've only played about two hours (this weekend hopefully a few more), but those two hours were filled with exploring the nooks and crannies of the environment. I thought it was an interesting and creeptacular place.

Lard

Banned
Foxtastical said:
Weird, I've only played about two hours (this weekend hopefully a few more), but those two hours were filled with exploring the nooks and crannies of the environment. I thought it was an interesting and creeptacular place.

I mean when it changes over into the "Evil" Silent Hill or whatever you want to call it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Foxtastical said:

How did you find it to be creepy? Just asking out of curiosity, as I personally found the town to be an absolutely non-threatening place, which offered no real rewards for exploration. Unless you want to go for the UFO ending, I guess.

Kevtones

Good interview, thanks Patrick. You really hit on a lot of great points in the questions asked and it does justice to the quality of the product.

I'm curious, did you play through the game with a significant other? I vaguely remember you mentioning something about doing that with horror games on a podcast and SM is absolutely a perfect game for that.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Not this time, sadly. The next one I'll do that on is probably BioShock 2. To be honest, the psych questions might have made it uncomfortable. :lol

Kevtones

Patrick Klepek said:
Not this time, sadly. The next one I'll do that on is probably BioShock 2. To be honest, the psych questions might have made it uncomfortable. :lol

Yeah, the first batch particularly :lol

Funny part about doing it with Shattered Memories is that mine immediately wanted to watch me play through it again after the ending. That made me appreciate the pacing and storytelling that much more.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
SlipperySlope said:
Have you guys had "non-gamers" play this game? What are their impressions?

My sister got intrigued and played it on my PSP for a couple of days. Then she got bored and left it midway (she was incredibly freaked in first nightmare though :))

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Patrick Klepek said:
I know some people haven't played the game yet, but in an attempt to raise this sadly ignored game's profile, I interviewed Konami for a post-mortem on its development.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7...flects-On-Silent-Hill-Shattered-Memories.html

Excellent read Patrick. Thanks for taking the time to do this, I hope you get lots of hit and it help's word of mouth! covered a lot of ground. I just wish he made a comment on his sales expectations/current feelings of performance :)

I'm trying to piece together all of the ghosts/messages.

So wait, Cheryl was working in a whore house?

Yet a message shortly before that called her frigid? I don't understand.

Neiteio

WOW. I completed the game last night, got what's apparently called the "Love Lost" ending, and was winded by the twist, and the rich symbolism of the events immediately preceding it. It yanked on the heartstrings, eliciting a gasp and some well-earned tears from this jaded gamer's face. Hands down the best masterstroke in interactive storytelling since
"Would you kindly"
in BioShock 1, and really, it trounces that left and right.

It's the sort of powerful reversal that only a game could pull off,
having you as the player identify so intimately with Harry as a playable character that when he's staring at you at the end and you realize you're Cheryl, the divorce is so utter and complete that you feel what Cheryl feels: Separation anxiety from her father and your avatar, a character you've grown to love through the trials and tribulations Harry endured in Cheryl's fragmented, falsified accounts of his life

You feel violated, in a way, naked, raw and vulnerable. You feel exposed, yet you feel loved. Out of all the pain of human existence, you find some peace. To experience that all vicariously through a game is nothing short of astounding.

This is exactly the sort of storytelling I've been hankering for in a horror game. "Horror" is a hollow thing if it doesn't resonate at the heart. Flesh-eating monsters may be a danger to our physical well-being, but sometimes life is scarier than death, and this game captures why. It captures the sort of loneliness inherent in being an individual, the loneliness people spend lifetimes trying to overcome.

The best horror is a sort of spiritual journey (the film "Pan's Labyrinth" being one of my favorite examples), and this game fits that descriptor. So to the team at Climax: Well-done. Well-done.

SlipperySlope said:
I'm trying to piece together all of the ghosts/messages.

So wait, Cheryl was working in a whore house?

Yet a message shortly before that called her frigid? I don't understand.
I don't think all of the ghosts/messages are directly from Cheryl's life, but are other people's emotions that are pulled in with Cheryl's because of how similar they are. Most of them seem to be parent/child relationships. The whore house one has a father saying how the woman there looks like her daughter, and there's a 2nd part where the father talks to the daughter about her pig tails.

Same with the one in the woods about the father talking to the son about killing the deer. Obviously isn't anything directly related to Cheryl, but is another parent/child relationship.

Neiteio said:
WOW. I completed the game last night, got what's apparently called the "Love Lost" ending, and was winded by the twist, and the rich symbolism of the events immediately preceding it. It yanked on the heartstrings, eliciting a gasp and some well-earned tears from this jaded gamer's face. Hands down the best masterstroke in interactive storytelling since
"Would you kindly"
in BioShock 1, and really, it trounces that left and right.

It's the sort of powerful reversal that only a game could pull off,
having you as the player identify so intimately with Harry as a playable character that when he's staring at you at the end and you realize you're Cheryl, the divorce is so utter and complete that you feel what Cheryl feels: Separation anxiety from her father and your avatar, a character you've grown to love through the trials and tribulations Harry endured in Cheryl's fragmented, falsified accounts of his life

You feel violated, in a way, naked, raw and vulnerable. You feel exposed, yet you feel loved. Out of all the pain of human existence, you find some peace. To experience that all vicariously through a game is nothing short of astounding.

This is exactly the sort of storytelling I've been hankering for in a horror game. "Horror" is a hollow thing if it doesn't resonate at the heart. Flesh-eating monsters may be a danger to our physical well-being, but sometimes life is scarier than death, and this game captures why. It captures the sort of loneliness inherent in being an individual, the loneliness people spend lifetimes trying to overcome.

The best horror is a sort of spiritual journey (the film "Pan's Labyrinth" being one of my favorite examples), and this game fits that descriptor. So to the team at Climax: Well-done. Well-done.

Glad you like the game. Now spread the word :)

Now you get to do play through #2,
where you get to piece together all of the messages. The echo messages (the ones you get when you get near an object and it moves) now have a meaning. Read them all on play through #2 realizing they're all part of Cheryl's past, and you'll realize partially why she's so messed up mentally. The ghosts, and the messages they give, are also part of her memories. Look closely at some of them, and you'll realize that some of them are Cheryl. The picture you get near the end of Cheryl on the swing set tells you right away that the first ghost was definitely her. Others are too. The messages the ghosts give, then, have more meaning.

In particular, the echo message "Stranded - Crazy shit, man" affected me the most. Play through #1, you don't know who that was. Now you do. And the picture attached just caps it off. I just feel sad reading that one and looking at the picture.

Here's a question I have though. On the 2nd falling sequence, when you see frames of the home video, what's up with the pictures of a plane crash? What's that supposed to be about? Never understood that one.

voodoopanda said:
I don't think all of the ghosts/messages are directly from Cheryl's life, but are other people's emotions that are pulled in with Cheryl's because of how similar they are. Most of them seem to be parent/child relationships. The whore house one has a father saying how the woman there looks like her daughter, and there's a 2nd part where the father talks to the daughter about her pig tails.

Same with the one in the woods about the father talking to the son about killing the deer. Obviously isn't anything directly related to Cheryl, but is another parent/child relationship.

Good points. Makes more sense.

"Stranded - Crazy shit, man" really is Cheryl, though :(

Medalion

Banned
I love reading this thread still after I beat the game awhile ago. It does have a very engaging story, even if the scares themselves weren't huge huge, it still gives me the chills once and awhile.

Neiteio

I have to wonder,
was Cheryl the girl in the whorehouse? Or the girl in the relationship where the boy was pressuring her into sex? Or the girl caught in the student-teacher affair?

I know that for the last one, there was a text-messaged pic of the two in the act, but I can't recall if the face matches up.

In hindsight, it would seem to make sense for such to be the case, but I can't say for certain as some details elude me. :-\

Also, does anyone know what Climax's next project is now that they're done with Shattered Memories?

Neiteio said:
I have to wonder,
was Cheryl the girl in the whorehouse? Or the girl in the relationship where the boy was pressuring her into sex? Or the girl caught in the student-teacher affair?

I know that for the last one, there was a text-messaged pic of the two in the act, but I can't recall if the face matches up.

In hindsight, it would seem to make sense for such to be the case, but I can't say for certain as some details elude me. :-\

Also, does anyone know what Climax's next project is now that they're done with Shattered Memories?

For 1) Dunno. 2) Dunno 3) Yeah.

I tend to think if it's a picture of a girl covering her face, it's usually Cheryl. Plus the fact that one of the pictures clearly shows her face in the school shower, which is one of the 3 pictures you take in that part.

Oh, and the last part that leads to her being Cheryl. At the beginning of the school sequence, the doctor says something like "Now lets get to the bad things that happened at school".

I just finished it, and I got to say, I hope Climax makes another game like this. But the nightmare sequences are rage-worthy. I know I stopped playing more than a few times and popped in NSMBW to just... have fun.

I'm hoping Climax's next game is more of a click-and-point-adventure-ish kind of deal. Probably not a Silent Hill, also.

mantidor

I finally got it tonight and I got really immersed into the game, but then I stopped because I remembered the game to be really short, and I really don't want to end it in just one sitting. How long is the game really? So far it has been awesome, I'm in the part
after being picked up by Cybil right after escaping drowning inside the car with dahlia. The wheelchair part was awesome with the wii controls
, so am I close to the end? I really, really hope not, although I'm glad to hear there are several endings.

mantidor said:
I finally got it tonight and I got really immersed into the game, but then I stopped because I remembered the game to be really short, and I really don't want to end it in just one sitting. How long is the game really? So far it has been awesome, I'm in the part
after being picked up by Cybil right after escaping drowning inside the car with dahlia. The wheelchair part was awesome with the wii controls
, so am I close to the end? I really, really hope not, although I'm glad to hear there are several endings.

You could have it beat within an hour from there.

mantidor

brandonh83 said:
You could have it beat within an hour from there.

That's what I was afraid of. It really sucks when a game you like ends so soon, but its a relief to know there's some value in replays, something not easy to do in the horror genre.

Top Bottom