• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

Mr_Zombie

selig said:
But that´s exactly what i mean. there IS NO Silent Hill in SM. It´s all just the imagination of the girl. I´d like to have a game that´s not just a dream. It was great for this one game, but it´d be annoying to play several games that all are but dreams

But that is Silent Hill.
It doesn't need to be a real place to be Silent Hill. In SH1 (before sequels were released) the whole town and the story about father trying to find his daughter could be real, or those could only happen in a mind of a man who is dying because of a car accident (see: Jacob's Ladder).

The same can be said about SH2. We have no idea how real all those monsters, holes etc. are. Laura doesn't see them, for her the town is just a normal, empty town; Eddie sees people and monsters laughing at him; the monster that attacks Angela, that looks like some kind of door on legs for James, for her it looks like her father. It all happens in their minds.

And the more the series stays with that kind of Silent Hill, I think, the better. As I've said earlier, literalness and over-explanation of everything killed Silent Hill's charm and mystery. It shouldn't be a place where monsters really are running around the place, it should be a town that releases monsters inside character's mind and in order to do so, it could be anywhere and could be anything, even a dream.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I finished this game before my Neogaf account was approved, so I lingered over this thread and disagreed with many... but couldn't say nothing. Now I can.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is the best implementation and execution of a story in a video game ever. Period. From the way you interact with the doctor in his office to the world of Silent Hill where you can piece together different clues and information by actually searching the town is genius. Not to mention every interaction with every character has an actual meaning. Hell, even the nightmare world is beautifully explained. And for the ending to completely throw me for a loop but instantly make so much sense is a testament to how much care and love went into the storytelling of SH:SM.

Never have I felt so intertwined with a gaming world like I did to Silent Hill in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. The use of the strengths of the Wii and Wiimote was absolutely brilliant and made you so immersed into the world.

I can think of maybe one or two other 3-d age single-player games (Metroid Prime and Shadow of the Colossus) that I more greatly anticipate visiting once again ten years down the road. And that is a maybe. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is that great at what it set out to do.

Kevtones

Skiesofwonder said:
I finished this game before my Neogaf account was approved, so I lingered over this thread and disagreed with many... but couldn't say nothing. Now I can.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is the best implementation and execution of a story in a video game ever. Period. From the way you interact with the doctor in his office to the world of Silent Hill where you can piece together different clues and information by actually searching the town is genius. Not to mention every interaction with every character has an actual meaning. Hell, even the nightmare world is beautifully explained. And for the ending to completely throw me for a loop but instantly make so much sense is a testament to how much care and love went into the storytelling of SH:SM.

Never have I felt so intertwined with a gaming world like I did to Silent Hill in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. The use of the strengths of the Wii and Wiimote was absolutely brilliant and made you so immersed into the world.

I can think of maybe one or two other 3-d age single-player games (Metroid Prime and Shadow of the Colossus) that I more greatly anticipate visiting once again ten years down the road. And that is a maybe. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is that great at what it set out to do.

I'm mostly there with you. I think the narrative is incredibly well-realized, and it absolutely shits on something that's been getting all the pub (Heavy Rain).

I Push Fat Kids said:
I'm mostly there with you. I think the narrative is incredibly well-realized, and it absolutely shits on something that's been getting all the pub (Heavy Rain).

Story/Narrative wise, Shattered Memories is the best game in memory for me. It's gripped me the most since probably Half-Life 2, but this game gets the nod over Half Life 2 for the ending.

Skiesofwonder said:

Good post, and I agree to an extent. Shadow of the Colossus is also a high point for me in terms of gameplay doing the storytelling, as well as SH2.

Unfortunately this a Wii game so it will be overlooked for games like Heavy Rain.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
SlipperySlope said:
Story/Narrative wise, Shattered Memories is the best game in memory for me. It's gripped me the most since probably Half-Life 2, but this game gets the nod over Half Life 2 for the ending.

Pretty much.

SM deserves props for being one of the most ambitious games to use gaming mechanics and the medium of interactivity as a means of story telling and presentation.

Heavy Rain deserves credit where credit is due, but its advancements are more in the area of making a story interactive. Giving a bit more depth to where a FMV might be. In the end though, its a story that for most part could be told through FMV, books, film, or anything like that.

Shattered Memories instead uses interactivity as the story. It saddens me that its not getting as much mass media praise for these. Its not just "Oh here is a QTE" or anything, every aspect of the interactivity is part of the story.

The endgame is so significant;
all that psychological profiling, or interactivity with the game world signifies how Cheryl, or us as the player, sees her father. All the little things we did; the way we answered questions, where we looked in cinematics, what rooms we went into first, etc. All this at the time seemed like general gameplay, but its all building towards the climax and the significance of who Harry is in Cheryl's eyes. We 'play' Harry not just as a videogame, but as Cheryl/Us see him. He's not an avatar we play, but create as a means of story telling.

Its a plot with a twist and execution that could not be achieved in any other medium without significant overhauls, and for that I applaud Climax. Heavy Rain is good, but its sad to know we'll probably see that kind of interactive story telling invested over something like this.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Indeed, SM is probably the strongest argument yet for games as the ultimate creative medium, as well as the best evidence for "games as art."

As you said, it simply couldn't be reproduced in any other medium without significant alterations that would probably ruin the experience.

Kevtones

The reason I bring Heavy Rain into the debate is that I just listened to the final 4G1U and they spent 30 minutes talking about how original and important HR is to game storytelling. Ugh.

Hiltz

It's great to see more people playing the game and enjoying the experience.

I'll eventually have to find the time to do a third playthrough.

pakkit

Banned
Yeah, I can't wait for summer to replay through this game. :D

The gameplay was probably secondary to the narrative, but, unlike Fragile, didn't hinder it. It was a fun interactive game with some great attention to detail.

Tab0203

I Push Fat Kids said:
The reason I bring Heavy Rain into the debate is that I just listened to the final 4G1U and they spent 30 minutes talking about how original and important HR is to game storytelling. Ugh.
Heavy Rain thread said:
"Heavy Rain is such an important step forward for video games.
Molyneux said:
"I recommend anyone who wants to start to see the first glimpses of the future of video games to go out and buy it," Molyneux advocated, before exposing his softer side to the audience. "But, personally, I could not bring myself to play more than 90 minutes, because the world that was there was so dark and so emotionally involving I felt emotionally beaten up."
smh

Heavy Rain - A Neogaf Official Thread
(02-09-2010)
Replies: 4,775

SPOILERS - Heavy Rain - Plot Discussion Thread
(02-23-2010)
Replies: 2,104

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - Official Thread
(12-05-2009)
Replies: 2,014

Tab0203 said:
smh

(02-09-2010)

(02-23-2010)

(12-05-2009)
What is this supposed to mean?

Kevtones

This game, among others, makes good 3rd party Wii games feel like good indie records. They get very little recognition, are uniqure visions, and for the most part, are high in quality.

Kevtones

The fact that it's stayed up as long as it has is a testament to its quality. Sure it has some brand recognition, but for the most part, this is an unproven team doing a reboot of a franchise that's been teetering on irrelvancy for awhile. Fuck, this re-threading makes me want to play through it again. Such an experience.

MYE

Tab0203 said:
smh

(02-09-2010)

(02-23-2010)

(12-05-2009)
:lol

HD graphics man, HD graphics!!!
The HD Generation® needs their daily scope of everything HD, cuz they are told that resolution output is what truly matters from now on.

That and the Wii isnt cool :(

edit:

I just noticed that PALand got a slightly diferent (and superior) cover :D

news_104_sh_shm_boxart_pal.jpg
silenthillwii.jpg

randomwab

I really did hate this game. The story was nice, but the gameplay was so shockingly bad that it marred any enjoyment I could get from the game. The chase sequences were honestly some of the worst pieces of gameplay I've seen in a game for a long time, even just thinking about those sections is making me angry. Way to replace the bad combat with something worse.

Such a pity, had the story been placed into a half decent gameplay style or even just the old Silent Hill style, this would have been the best game in the series since The Room.

Gomu Gomu

randomwab said:
I really did hate this game. The story was nice, but the gameplay was so shockingly bad that it marred any enjoyment I could get from the game. The chase sequences were honestly some of the worst pieces of gameplay I've seen in a game for a long time, even just thinking about those sections is making me angry. Way to replace the bad combat with something worse.

Such a pity, had the story been placed into a half decent gameplay style or even just the old Silent Hill style, this would have been the best game in the series since The Room.
Finally someone that agrees with me. The story was awesome in every way. But everything else wasn't. Also, The Room wasn't a good SH game.

MYE

needlejuice said:
Hmmm, conflicting reports...

I've been on the fence about this game, but I'd really like something new to play on Wii.

I'm sure you can find it for cheap so, go for it.

I loved what i played yesterday and this Saturday will definitely be Silent Hill day at my place :D

Gomu Gomu

needlejuice said:
Hmmm, conflicting reports...

I've been on the fence about this game, but I'd really like something new to play on Wii.
You know, for a cheap price or a rent, it definitely is worth it. Gameplay mechanics aren't good. But the atmosphere and the story make up for it to an extend.

randomwab

I still don't get all the hate for The Room, it was a much better game than Silent Hill 3 or any of the later titles in my opinion. A fantastic story and a genuinely creepy game, and an amazing use of room 302 itself; building a sense of trust when being in the room and then slowly corrupting the one safe haven in the game. Most of the environments were pretty great too, especially the apartment block; the way they could convey each tenants personality through their belongings was really well done.

I get the criticism that having to run through each world twice was annoying and the unkillable enemies were aggravating at times, but that didn't bother me as much as, say, the gameplay in Shattered Memories. Fuck that game. The Room <3

selig

Banned
Gomu Gomu said:
You know, for a cheap price or a rent, it definitely is worth it. Gameplay mechanics aren't good. But the atmosphere and the story make up for it to an extend.

BS. SM´s gameplay is fantastic.
Exploring environments intuitively with a pointer-controlled flashlight, an open world-feeling (even though it isnt), great use of the wiimote for environment-interaction, character-movement works great (like a fps-Wii game), and last but not least, the chase sequences are really disturbing and make you feel helpless, being a very intensive experience. I guess the people that criticizes these parts of the game either dont want to accept that you cannot fight OR fail at using the Wiimote and Nunchuck to shake off enemies, which I had no problem during any part of the game. Just shake into the direction youré attacked from and it works...always.

Buy this game, it derseves it, highly. And you´ll love it if you don´t hate moody, mysterious games.

@ShockingAlberto:

How is that just my interpretation? At the end of the game, we find out that everything that happened was just a memory, intervined with some madness, of Sheryl. I mean, maybe Silent Hill does exist, but it didn´t have any influence on this game. What happened to Sheryl happened because of personal decisions and bad luck...not because some evil spirits/monsters haunted her.
That´s why I´d like to see another game that explores the Silent Hill-myth more indeep. I mean, maybe many of you guys prefer it the other way, but "oh, it was all but a dream" is okay one time, but gets boring fast if it´s used twice. Imagine if they did that at the end of Zelda-game. 30 hours of challenge...oh, just a dream. The "it was a dream" works for SM because its a unique game AND is only 6-8 hours. That´s why it works.

Ricker

This is number 1 on my backlog games I missed,along with Dante`s and Bayonetta but there is always something new to get hehe...soon,soon i`ll get to it :D .....probably PSP since i`m not crazy about Wii controls.

MYE

Ricker said:
.....probably PSP since i`m not crazy about Wii controls.

"Wii controls"?

Thats a pretty broad generalization.
You mean that you just dont like IR/and motion based controls overall, regardless of how well its implemented or how heavily rooted it is to the game's overall mechanics and narrative?

Cuz to me its like hearing someone who would rather play something like Broken Sword with a dual analog controller because they are not crazy about "mouse controls".

Ricker

MYE said:
"Wii controls"?

Thats a pretty broad generalization.
You mean that you just dont like IR/and motion based controls overall, regardless of how well its implemented or how heavily rooted it is to the game's overall mechanics and narrative?

Cuz to me its like hearing someone who would rather play something like Broken Sword with a dual analog controller because they are not crazy about "mouse controls".

Pretty much yeah...I just hate seeing that aiming reticule for example shaking on screen all the time for one,coudn`t beat The Conduit,Dead Space and the Metroid games because I suck with the Nunchuck and Wiimote is the bottom line really,even if it`s well implemented hehe...

MYE

Ricker said:
Pretty much yeah...I just hate seeing that aiming reticule for example shaking on screen all the time for one,coudn`t beat The Conduit,Dead Space and the Metroid games because I suck with the Nunchuck and Wiimote is the bottom line really,even if it`s well implemented hehe...

Okay then.
But i'd like to point out that there is no reticule in Shattered Memories, the flashlight beam indicates where you're pointing and thats it.

Well, you have the hand icon when you're picking up and rotating objects and sliding door locks but i assume the PSP and PS2 SKUS have it too (?)

Oh, and just as a heads-up, the port team scaled down the game in the PS2 and PSP SKUs (missing objects/geometry/details, diferent textures etc...)
But its probably less noticable on the PSP's smaller screen anyway, so go with that one if you must.

Dascu

I thought the gameplay itself was just fine. It has a good bit of exploration and some clever puzzles, that luckily don't require you to backtrack all over the place like previous games in the franchise. The Otherworld segments were not exactly how I had imagined them, but they were still OK. They definitely conveyed a sense of dread and fear. I did not look forward to them during the game, not because I disliked the gameplay, but because I genuinely thought they were very creepy and tense. It could've been fleshed out a lot more (most notably, a slower pace with more room for exploration and stealth, instead of running like a madman), but they were good enough. I'd say that overall, the gameplay in Shattered Memories was much more enjoyable than previous Silent Hill games. It didn't have the awful combat, the inane fetch-quest puzzles, nor any ridiculous bullshit like fumbling around in an inventory, or even worse, weapon-breaking. The gameplay wasn't great, but to me, it was still a lot better than the others.

this thread isn't dying. every few days it pops back up. it may not be a well known or popular title, but it sure gets a lot of love and respect from the people that have played it.

the other day i was looking for a description for it, and 'art house classic' came to mind.

it really is. Heavy Rain is a breakout thriller like Se7en. Good too, but Shattered Memories is the more cerebral art house classic.

both are great steps forwards in interactive story telling. Shattered Memories isn't a model we can build any kind of experience off of like Heavy Rain is, but it is absolutely a better interactive story.

it's just not a trick you can use again and again. Shattered Memories reason for the players choices impacting the world and characters so much is central to it's twist. a shattered memories 2 with the same gameplay mechanic would struggle to have nearly as rewarding a pay off.

i'm sure Climax could make something equally amazing, but Heavy Rain features a game design any story could be told with.

Shattered Memories has in my eyes the better story and the better gameplay... but it doesn't represent the way forwards, if that makes sense.

MYE

They offered the OST in the US if you pre-ordered the game right?

Damn, i'd love to get my hands on it D:

Acceptance is GODLY. Only surpassed by Room of Angel IMO

Dascu

MyEpitomeCliché said:
Hate to ask this, but I'm absolutely loving the game and I must know. I just finished the
Midwich High School Otherworld
. How far am I?
About halfway, I think.

mantidor

I agree with all the praise for the game, it really is amazing, but the only problem I have is that I find it really hard to replicate, a sequel wouldn't be the same, unless you again reboot everything. Recycling concepts like the psych evaluation or relying heavily on the twist won't do the trick again.

selig

Banned
plagiarize said:
this thread isn't dying. every few days it pops back up. it may not be a well known or popular title, but it sure gets a lot of love and respect from the people that have played it.

the other day i was looking for a description for it, and 'art house classic' came to mind.

it really is. Heavy Rain is a breakout thriller like Se7en. Good too, but Shattered Memories is the more cerebral art house classic.

both are great steps forwards in interactive story telling. Shattered Memories isn't a model we can build any kind of experience off of like Heavy Rain is, but it is absolutely a better interactive story.

it's just not a trick you can use again and again. Shattered Memories reason for the players choices impacting the world and characters so much is central to it's twist. a shattered memories 2 with the same gameplay mechanic would struggle to have nearly as rewarding a pay off.

i'm sure Climax could make something equally amazing, but Heavy Rain features a game design any story could be told with.

Shattered Memories has in my eyes the better story and the better gameplay... but it doesn't represent the way forwards, if that makes sense.

Shattered Memorie´s story-telling isnt only that great because of the twist. It´s the way you explore the world with you flashlight, call phone numbers on your own to find out what you´ll hear, the detailed textures that you can read without pressing a button to get a closer look. This is the kind of story-telling that should be the future of gaming, something that Metroid Prime used in 2003, where you also explored the story as if you are part of it, not just someone watching a cutscene.

And I think it´d be very easy to use a similar concept for SH2 Wii. Of course, you cant use a psychiatrist again, but he isnt really needed. Consequences from what you look at, what order in you do things could be measured by the game just as well, and those more obious decisions could be implemented into puzzles.

Talking about Molyneux´s "Heavry Rain is the future", I´d rather say games like Metroid Prime and SH:SM are the future. Or should be :/

Dascu

mantidor said:
I agree with all the praise for the game, it really is amazing, but the only problem I have is that I find it really hard to replicate, a sequel wouldn't be the same, unless you again reboot everything. Recycling concepts like the psych evaluation or relying heavily on the twist won't do the trick again.
Yes, certainly. I think Climax UK proved that they can write a good story with a very competent script, and find a way to put this in a game while retaining player interaction. In a time where people are demanding more and better stories in their games, they've shown that they have the skill to deliver on this front without compromising the gameplay too much. However, the psych profiling (as in the actual psych sessions) and the run away-gameplay are definitely not something you can just throw in any game again. Whatever be of it, they've shown great potential in the psychological horror genre and I eagerly anticipate future projects of this team.

Boney

Banned
Ricker said:
This is number 1 on my backlog games I missed,along with Dante`s and Bayonetta but there is always something new to get hehe...soon,soon i`ll get to it :D .....probably PSP since i`m not crazy about Wii controls.
I'd advice not to get it if you're getting it for PSP. It would suck all the fun out of this game, really. Small screen, no pointer, analog nub, downgraded visuals. PSP is a great plattform, but I don't thinks this game would be as good as it is on the PSP.

But since you say you hate "wii controls" I can see how chase sequences will frustrate you to no end. I still recommend the game though.

Hiltz

I enjoyed how the Wii controls were used in Shattered Memories. Lookin back the only thing I didn't like was how some of the puzzle-solving (the few were you had o pick up objects) were frusterating due to the clumsy physics.

I want Climax to make a new Silent Hill game for the Wii were we just use the Wii controls to move the character in a wheelchair. I'd buy that in a heart beat.

Ricker said:

If the Wii pointer shakes, try cleaning the sensor bar. If that doesn't work, change positions of the sensor bar. For me, the sensor bar works best below the TV.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
selig said:
Talking about Molyneux´s "Heavry Rain is the future", I´d rather say games like Metroid Prime and SH:SM are the future. Or should be :/

I agree with basically everything you said.

Story-telling in gaming is a totally different animal then movies. Games like Metroid Prime, Shadow of the Colossus, Half-Life 2, Shattered Memories where the story is more told through the actions you take and the environment you trek through is where (IMO) story-telling in gaming excels. But, cutscenes can have there place in gaming as well.. they just to be similar to Shattered Memories or Half-Life 2 is in they are interactive and you don't feel as if you lose control of the player.

All that said, I haven't actually played Heavy Rain. But, I have played Indigo Prophecy... and from my time with that game, I do think Quantic Dream is going in the right direction... just maybe a little different direction. A lot of your actions and choices really do effect the game within and most cut-scenes are interactive and don't take away control of the player. I just think QTE's shouldn't be the main part of gameplay for a heavy storied game instead of exploration and other things.

I greatly anticipate playing Heavy Rain, it was and still is one of mu most hyped games of this gen. Should also be interesting to see how it compares narrative-wise to Shattered Memories.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Gomu Gomu said:
Finally someone that agrees with me. The story was awesome in every way. But everything else wasn't. Also, The Room wasn't a good SH game.

Agreed. The story was great, but everything else ranged from meh to shit.

And I actually liked The Room. Not as good as the first three games, but still an OK game.

Combichristoffersen said:
Agreed. The story was great, but everything else ranged from meh to shit.

And I actually liked The Room. Not as good as the first three games, but still an OK game.
i'm glad i played it.

but i'm also glad i played it on easy with a guide.

was worth it for the story, but it didn't make up for the gameplay.

I'm contemplating doing play through #7 this weekend.

My goals since play through #6 isn't really for me. I'm trying to get others to join in on these play throughs. Let them experience the game. On #6, I took my mom through the game. She played the exploration parts, I played the nightmares. She liked the game.
She mentioned "Is he dead?" about half way through the game. I countered by saying how is he then talking to other people? She thought about it for a bit and let that thought go. She mentioned a few times during the game "He's crazy!". She never realized it was all Cheryl's delusion though, so the ending left something she hadn't figured out at least.

We finished it in one sitting. Which I kind of regret. For someone who doesn't play much games, it took a lot out of her to do it in one sitting. But I didn't really have much of a choice. I had to drive back home that night.

Any other time I take someone through the game, I'll split it up into two sessions.

Top Bottom