• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - |OT| of Not Your Father's Silent Hill

mantidor said:
why people talk about the good ending? is there a wrong way to play the game?

There is no "good" or "bad" ending. Well, except for the UFO ending I guess. That one is stupid. But of the "normal" endings, they're just different. One even has quite a different tone than the others. But I won't go into details. My advice: Beat the game however you like, then go to GameFAQ's to get info on the other endings and how to get them.

Ending spoilers below:

I think I found the new saddest part of the game, for me. It's the message Problem Child -> Malcolm.

It goes like this:
Malcom. Doing my rounds.
I saw her again. I... I, aw shit. You know, I guess I can say this.
I turned my back when she took something.
Pretended I didn't see it.
Why? Well, I dunno. I guess I feel sorry for her.
Last time when we grabbed her, when we were talking to her...
I dunno, there was so much sadness in those eyes.
I felt sorry for her.

---------------

It just makes me feel sad.

My previous post leads to a question.

Why would Cheryl kill Malcolm, the security guard? And if it was her, why didn't we go into detail about her time in prison?

And why would she be out of jail so early? (she was what? 26 during the psych sessions? And Dr. K. said she had seen many psychs before. Also, you'd think he'd mention it if she was a murderer).

Eh, I just have so many questions :)

SlipperySlope said:
My previous post leads to a question.
I may be confused here a bit but...
where did you get that Cheryl killed anyone? I'm pretty sure she got arrested for stealing something.
Unless thats one of the things that can change drastically in a playthrough? But I don't recall getting that impression on any playthrough so far.

ImNotLikeThem said:
I may be confused here a bit but...
where did you get that Cheryl killed anyone? I'm pretty sure she got arrested for stealing something.
Unless thats one of the things that can change drastically in a playthrough? But I don't recall getting that impression on any playthrough so far.

I believe the message is unlocked when you take a picture of the ghost in the mall just before the cinema. Near some orange cones. I think this message is on every play through?

The message is called Problem Child -> 911?

Here's the text of the message:
911? It's Malcolm the security guard, he's been stabbed!
Slow down sir. Is there bleeding?
Yes. There's lots. He's not moving.
And the attacker? Is he still there?
She. It's a she.
She's still here, she's sitting on a bench.
She's just staring into space.
The police and the ambulance are on their way. Do not approach the attacker.

--------------

The girl seems to be Cheryl. The picture of the ghost on the bench looks like her, but the face is covered, like normal... and the comment about her staring into space also seems to indicate it's Cheryl.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well
it says she attacked him, never said she killed him. Probably spent some time in juvenile detention or something like that.

Andrex said:
Well
it says she attacked him, never said she killed him. Probably spent some time in juvenile detention or something like that.

It said there's lots of blood, and he's not moving. I think he's dead. I'd like to be wrong though.

I found a huge list of the echo messages/ghost messages in the game. Huge spoilers, so don't enter if you haven't beaten the game.

http://www.silenthillmemories.net/sh_shattered_memories/messages_en.htm

Wow, I missed so much stuff.

Seems like every message has variations. Wow!

And they even have the audio of the variations. And the attached pictures. Very well done site.

Anyway, in regards to the spoilers I was talking about earlier...

There are variations of the Malcolm being stabbed part. I actually remember another variation (what I typed above was on my most recent play through.

The other version I remember getting is this:
[Var. 3]
-911? Oh God. I think he's dead.
-Sir, can you describe the emergency? Who is dead?
-Malcolm! He's a security guard here. Oh my God, he didn't see it coming. She, she had a knife, and just pulled it out and cut him. Must have hit an artery or something.
-Is Malcolm breathing? Can you find a pulse?
-He'd tried to help her. Even afterwards, he said to me: it's not her fault. Oh God, that was the last thing he said!

This one I don't remember getting:
[Var. 1]
-911? Oh God, he's bleeding everywhere!
-Calm down sir. Who is bleeding? Can you describe the situation?
-The security guard, Malcolm. He's been stabbed. He's dead!
-Are you sure he is dead? Is he breathing?
-Oh God, she just went crazy. She was spitting and screaming. It's not right. Malcolm would never hurt a fly. She just went insane.

----

So yeah, he's dead. And she killed him. I guess she got less time for insanity? Still surprised the game didn't delve into that more. That's a pretty major game-changer in the story. She goes from being a victim to being a killer.

RobertM

Hiltz said:
I was impressed by how Climax was able to make the game feel scary during the exploration parts especially at night. It almost gave me the same kind of vibe as Resident Evil Remake.

I always freaked out when you get to those parts where the environments quickly become covered in ice.
It didn't feel scary at all, because there was no sense of danger. You knew that nothing will harm you in the normal world so ocd type exploration went into high gear while disregarding the imagery in front.

SlipperySlope said:
I found a huge list of the echo messages/ghost messages in the game. Huge spoilers, so don't enter if you haven't beaten the game.

Wow, I missed so much stuff.

Seems like every message has variations. Wow!

And they even have the audio of the variations. And the attached pictures. Very well done site.

Anyway, in regards to the spoilers I was talking about earlier...

There are variations of the Malcolm being stabbed part. I actually remember another variation (what I typed above was on my most recent play through.

The other version I remember getting is this:
[Var. 3]
-911? Oh God. I think he's dead.
-Sir, can you describe the emergency? Who is dead?
-Malcolm! He's a security guard here. Oh my God, he didn't see it coming. She, she had a knife, and just pulled it out and cut him. Must have hit an artery or something.
-Is Malcolm breathing? Can you find a pulse?
-He'd tried to help her. Even afterwards, he said to me: it's not her fault. Oh God, that was the last thing he said!

This one I don't remember getting:
[Var. 1]
-911? Oh God, he's bleeding everywhere!
-Calm down sir. Who is bleeding? Can you describe the situation?
-The security guard, Malcolm. He's been stabbed. He's dead!
-Are you sure he is dead? Is he breathing?
-Oh God, she just went crazy. She was spitting and screaming. It's not right. Malcolm would never hurt a fly. She just went insane.

----

So yeah, he's dead. And she killed him. I guess she got less time for insanity? Still surprised the game didn't delve into that more. That's a pretty major game-changer in the story. She goes from being a victim to being a killer.
Well, if you assume all the echoes are about her (like I do), then she probably did it after being raped in the forest. It's likely she parlayed that in to an insanity plea, which resulted in her having to see a shrink. She's still a victim, even if she's crazy

Oh, and the other variations of Malcolm talking about Cheryl before he got stabbed:

[Var. 2]
-This is Malcolm. Following the suspect. It's that girl again. If I grab her, it'll be the third time I've booked her. Why am I so reluctant? I guess... I guess I feel sorry for her. When I spoke to her last time, she seemed like such a nice girl. Not altogether there, but nice. She's not like the other kids, not doing this to show off. Derek thinks she wants to get caught, that's her thing. Maybe. Maybe not. Ah shit, she's taking something. Oh man, I guess I have to go for it.

[Var. 3]
-Malcolm. Just after three in the afternoon. A retailer called in a shoplifter on the first floor. Sure enough, it's that girl again. Well why am I holding off grabbing her? I guess I feel sorry for her. When we took her in last time she was so mad, so angry. Just kicking and screaming. Clearly got her own share of problems. I don't mind grabbing the kids who are just messing about, don't mind grabbing those preppy little shits who are just, you know, showing off. But I feel bad with her. Oh, she's moving.

------

He had interesting thoughts on her. So he grabbed her, and she reacted badly and stabbed him.

ShockingAlberto said:
Well, if you assume all the echoes are about her (like I do), then she probably did it after being raped in the forest. It's likely she parlayed that in to an insanity plea, which resulted in her having to see a shrink. She's still a victim, even if she's crazy

Go to that site I linked, and search for "Location: Dark Woods, phone box on the Ranger Station."

The category is stranded.

You'll see that "Dark Woods, blue sleeping bag near the Pump Station." is also in Stranded.

I don't think it was Cheryl that got raped/killed (one of the variations has the girl dead, along with disturbing image). Perhaps a friend. It's more likely Jackie that got messed with than Cheryl I think.

Unless there's another message I missed?

Edit -
Reading through that site, I think Family Vacation ties to the hospital scene where Cheryl is in the hospital bed.

Edit 2 -
Did you mean the part on Bryant Overlook?

Edit 3 -
Holy crap, Cheryl has 3 different mugshot photos? The photos show different emotions. I wonder if they tie into the messages about the stabbing. Like maybe the one about her staring off into space might be the sad mugshot (just guessing). Hmm. I'll have to compare endgame saves to see if they pair up.

http://www.silenthillmemories.net/sh_shattered_memories/messages/pics/cybil_1a.jpg This one is pretty sad.

Mael

I restarteed just yesterday night and I'm impressed,(minor spoiler for beginning of game)
I chosed to go for the fast food instead and the police officer is outright hostile now o_O.
She nearly handcuffed Harry for how he was talking :lol

I find the game scarier during the non-icy part because of all the crap you can get on what happened there and all...
Scary is perhaps not the right word (after all the whole monster side of things is tense, because i can't quite shake them off yet), maybe dread is best used here.

The very first time a game did that to me, I didn't know that dread could have been used that effectively...
Or maybe that's just me :lol

mantidor

SlipperySlope said:
There is no "good" or "bad" ending. Well, except for the UFO ending I guess. That one is stupid. But of the "normal" endings, they're just different. One even has quite a different tone than the others. But I won't go into details. My advice: Beat the game however you like, then go to GameFAQ's to get info on the other endings and how to get them.

Yeah that was my point. After I finished I got the
Dahlia beating Harry
ending, and I went to youtube to see the others, and there's really not a good or bad ending. All endings overall paint a pretty disturbing picture together, so they kind of complement each other. I have doubts about one though.

when harry films himself with the two girls, he shows a complete disregard for his family, which doesn't happen in the other endings in which he's beaten by Dahlia or says goodbye to his family, so is it an alternative or was he that lousy of a father? well I guess that confusion is part of what makes the story so great.

And indeed the game's change in content isn't just the endings or the dresses of the characters, a lot of the dialog changes, for instance near the ending
when Cybil pulls Harry out of the lake in every video I've seen she says she is going to retire, but in my playtrough she says that she will be waiting at the station
I really don't get why that would change or what did I do to get such dialog.

mantidor said:
Yeah that was my point. After I finished I got the
Dahlia beating Harry
ending, and I went to youtube to see the others, and there's really not a good or bad ending. All endings overall paint a pretty disturbing picture together, so they kind of complement each other. I have doubts about one though.

when harry films himself with the two girls, he shows a complete disregard for his family, which doesn't happen in the other endings in which he's beaten by Dahlia or says goodbye to his family, so is it an alternative or was he that lousy of a father? well I guess that confusion is part of what makes the story so great.

And indeed the game's change in content isn't just the endings or the dresses of the characters, a lot of the dialog changes, for instance near the ending
when Cybil pulls Harry out of the lake in every video I've seen she says she is going to retire, but in my playtrough she says that she will be waiting at the station

I always got the she's going to retire part. Don't know what causes it to change.

It's not just clothes or dialog, it seems every single message in the game has 2-4 variations. This includes the echo messages and the ghost messages. It's insane. I realize now, after 6 play throughs, that I still haven't seen like half of the messages in the game due to the variations.

Here's the list of the message variations again, which I posted before:
http://www.silenthillmemories.net/sh...essages_en.htm

Again, this has HUGE spoilers. It includes picture attachements, and the actual audio for every variation.
The Malcolm ones are particularly disturbing.

It would take forever for somebody to dissect what causes each variation.

Mael

mantidor said:

Nothing like that happened in my playthrough

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So with the new PSMove controlller... who wouldn't want to see Shattered Memories 2 on PS3/360? I'd like to see what Climax could do in HD.

mantidor

Adam Prime said:
So with the new PSMove controlller... who wouldn't want to see Shattered Memories 2 on PS3/360? I'd like to see what Climax could do in HD.

Given that even with low budget costs the game is bombing I find it difficult to see an HD iteration any time soon.

Dascu

Adam Prime said:
247.jpg

Adam Prime said:
Until pointing gets fixed, I'm pretty happy with SM on the Wii.

I thought the graphics were more than fine for the game.

If it is ported, then they likely won't update the graphics. I'd actually like for them not to update the graphics. They're fine as it is, and no need to waste more money.

I just want this game to be profitable. However it reaches that status, so be it.

Edit - Wait a minute? You were asking for a sequel to be made for the HD consoles? You already have one called Origins, and it probably lost more money than SM did.

I think it's more feasible to port SM, and keep the graphics as is. Nothing more than bumping the resolution. Gotta make it a profitable game.

Swittcher said:
I would LOVE to see it on the Wii myself.
i'd love to see one get the port and two on both platforms.

shattered memories doesn't get the recognition it should. it's every bit as groundbreaking a piece of interactive fiction or whatever as Heavy Rain is imho... just didn't get the marketing push it deserved.

BARKSTAR

Banned
plagiarize said:
i'd love to see one get the port and two on both platforms.

shattered memories doesn't get the recognition it should. it's every bit as groundbreaking a piece of interactive fiction or whatever as Heavy Rain is imho... just didn't get the marketing push it deserved.

I agree with this. I've gone through Shattered Memories twice and played through most of Heavy Rain for a second time. They both use different ways to get story across and both are successful with varying degrees of success. But for me the way Silent Hill told it's story I found it far more creative and effective.

And the conclusion and twist to me put Heavy Rain to shame and it really does deserve more recognition.

Anybody still on the fence with this one give it the chance it deserves. It really is an original and atmospheric experience and is a great addition to the series.

UrbanRats

I LOVED SH:SM and i'm playing(and liking a lot)Heavy Rain right now.. the two games shares interesting features and they should meet each other.. an horror game with the exploration of SM(flashlight etc)the interaction of HR(have a cup of tea, oper the door)and HR QTEs... would be magnificent.

BARKSTAR

Banned
Yeah I think there could be a lot of improvements that could be made to Heavy Rain but a lot of core ideas and interaction are already there and it would be interesting to see a hybrid of sorts that sort of takes the strong points of both games and gels them into something better.

Even though I am a fan of the series I was quite surprised to have found myself having the better overall experience with Silent Hill. It was a welcome surprise but with both games coming out on the same day in the UK I just had to go through Silent Hill first. Had been anticipating it for what felt like forever!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
SlipperySlope said:
Edit - Wait a minute? You were asking for a sequel to be made for the HD consoles? You already have one called Origins, and it probably lost more money than SM did.

Origins wasn't for the HD consoles (it was originally released for PSP, and later ported to PS2), you're probably thinking of Homecoming. IIRC Origins had decent sales, while Homecoming got mediocre sales (and a lukewarm reception).

Pydte

Finally!... After months of waiting (stupid PAL-release) i finally got to play and finish Shattered Memories (Wii-version). It is not an exaggeration to say that I was immensily hyped for this game; being a long-time Silent Hill-fan, who enjoyed the previous titles for all their excellence, but also someone who thought the series had grown stale.

Let me start out by saying that SM delivered on a level i thought not possible, especially given my considerable expectations and the many varied impressions I've read the last couple of months. It's rare that I'm deeply impressed by a video game, but SM clicked for me on so many levels, that i won't hesitate to put it up there with the series' best.

The psychological profiling set the stage for my positive experience. In particular, I was impressed with how it seemingly knows you. I know it's just an algorithm doing clever calculations, but I honestly felt like my journey through SM was unique and tailored specifically to my personality. I never managed to crack it, see through the fancy math.

I was also impressed with Climax' understanding of the Silent Hill lore. By means of the profiling, I think Climax achieved a relation between story and mechanics yet to be seen in this industry. It's a much more "gamey" way of telling a story than, say, the one found in Heavy Rain. In SM I felt like i helped shape the story, whereas in HR I just feel like I'm making arbitrary decisions that forwards the story in a specific direction.

The exploration/puzzle sequences felt amazingly fresh and tightly designed. There was very little noise, thanks to no enemies and irrelevant mechanics, which is something I always wanted from a SH game. This was pure exploration of a place filled with personality, dread and melancholy, something later Silent Hill games lacked. The phone interface was beautifully executed, just a shame Climax couldn't get rid of all the interface elements.

One of my key complaints about earlier installations was the combat system. It sucked! When i learned that SM was ditching combat alltogether, I was pleased, but also sceptical about how they, then, would represent the many monstrosities to be found in Silent Hill's fascinating universe. I think Climax did a good job with the chase sequences, making them feel unpleasant. However, their potential seemed slightly unrealised. There was so much more they could have done to increase the tension of said sequences and to make them feel more nuanced (why so few hiding spots and elements to interact with?). Also, the lack of different monsters, and the monster design in general, was a let-down compared to earlier games.

Given my criticism, though, the chase sequences always managed to put me on the edge of my seat, and they never felt frustrating to play. In reality, they were the sole reason i came to fear the frozen otherworld, simply because they made you you feel so vulnerable there - and you knew danger was coming. This is an accomplishment the earlier games never managed to achieve. In fact, I would argue that the earlier Otherworlds were where the interesting stuff happened, and, thus, a place you wanted to be.

To round off this rather lengthy post. I want to express my deeply felt gratitude towards Climax. I think they designed a clever and highly focused game that not only takes great advantage of the Wii-platform, but challenges the perception of storytelling in the medium of video games. It's a great title that fully lives up to the legacy of previous installations (Team Silent would be proud!). There is room for improvement, though, which is why I would love them to do yet another Silent Hill.

(Starting second playthrough...)

Combichristoffersen said:
Origins wasn't for the HD consoles (it was originally released for PSP, and later ported to PS2), you're probably thinking of Homecoming. IIRC Origins had decent sales, while Homecoming got mediocre sales (and a lukewarm reception).

Yeah, I was thinking of Homecoming. Oops :)

gamingeek

I'm on my third playthrough. I found the chase sequences to be easy the first two run throughs.

I think the game must note how many times you've played on a save file because on this third run through, once you hit the hospital for the first time, I'm being swamped by enemies which are more prevalent, harder to throw off and even the stages themselves seem a little different to me. Maybe its because there are more enemies, they force me to go in unexplored territory instead of my usual logical route.

Its scarier and more challenging. I like it.

Mesijs

Just finished it on the PSP and WOW... I was utterly impressed by the ending. What a great story for a videogame and it beats Heavy Rain hands-down in the story department.

Graphics are great, atmosphere is great, PSP controls are great, everything is great... just a little bit short.

Could be the best story in a videogame I've ever experienced, seriously.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Are we sure that's Cheryl? For some reason I always thought that was Dhalia in the
Malcom recordings. Well, considering the version of Dahlia I had, it kinda made sense at the time it was either an echo of her mother or someone else at the HS. Not all of those memory echoes are of Cheryl

John Harker said:
Are we sure that's Cheryl? For some reason I always thought that was Dhalia in the
Malcom recordings. Well, considering the version of Dahlia I had, it kinda made sense at the time it was either an echo of her mother or someone else at the HS. Not all of those memory echoes are of Cheryl
i think there are characters in the voicemails that can potentially be numerous characters depending on your choices. i think it was a purposeful design choice.

like how you can't always tell when the game is judging you... so you become extra conscious of your decisions... they want you to constantly be guessing as to which character those echoes may or may not include.

like, for example,
sleazy Harry could have been the TEACHER in the pictures we take in the high school. the teacher's face is always hidden too

given what's really going on, it's possible for versions or representatives of the various characters and iterations to show up in those recordings.

fabprems

UrbanRats said:
I LOVED SH:SM and i'm playing(and liking a lot)Heavy Rain right now.. the two games shares interesting features and they should meet each other.. an horror game with the exploration of SM(flashlight etc)the interaction of HR(have a cup of tea, oper the door)and HR QTEs... would be magnificent.

HR and SH:SM share a lot, but not in the gameplay departement. In the two games, you play a father who seeks for answers, and the decisions you'll take (consciously in HR and unconsciously in SH) will change the end of your journey...

Tab0203

Why is this thread dying? I finished the game last night. The voice acting is very good, as you'd expect from a game like this. I'm on page 17 of this thread, and it's a little painful to read.

Has this been posted, yet? I hope so.

Nick runs through door maze in Silent Hill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n86b-cwcAtc

iammeiam said:
... The last couple of 'chase' sequences were really well done, I thought, but the previous ones were all irritating. The last one was fantastic because it sort of highlighted something I'd noticed earlier on, namely that
the creatures don't actively want to hurt you; creepiest thing I saw was, upon dying in an early chase sequence, that one of the nightmare things just starts gently petting Harry.
I never even noticed.

It's true!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDwuDXWANK0#t=5m07s

John Harker said:
That slow walk scene after the high school to the club was mesmerizing, damn. It's such a shame Konami balked and decided not to promote this.
The atmosphere in this game is incredible.

abstract alien said:
Opening doors with full control is such a huge breath of fresh air, and also a bit of a frightening one. There is a very eerie feeling about cracking open a door and taking a peak, as it really connects to you more than most mechanics in gaming.
So much better than pressing a button. Analog stick door + flashlight pointer > button press. It's brilliant - and criminally underused (not once).

I was bored, plus it helps my english - more or less...

Games journalism:

The EGTV Show: Silent Hill Shattered Memories
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA6VCiZX0mI#t=3m27s
Eurogamer: The problem with many games on Wii is not the fault of the hardware, but that of lazy developers ...
This is true.

Lead designer: We did a lot with this game we couldn't have done if it was 360 or PS3.
That he actually has to say that...

Eurogamer: Maybe ... which points to the future of the series on the most powerful console with motion control coming to both platforms later this year.
motion control... it's all the same, right?

Lead designer: Especially now the 360 and the PS3 are getting all the action I think people are gonna have to accept that this stuff is here and that actually adds quite a lot to the experience.
That he actually has to say that.

Silent Hill Interview at Konami
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRnNZ39ZQJg#t=2m15s
girl GAMER: Well another criticism that I've been hearing from fans is the fact that it's only on the Wii, PS2 and PSP. I Why didn't you guys decide to bring it to PS3 or even xbox360?

Producer: In the early stages of planning we looked at what Silent Wii on the Wii could be like, cause that seemed like a cool thing to do. You have the flashlight for the Wii remote. You have the speaker for the radio static. That's where a lot of our brainstorming began.

Re. PS2/PSP: We can't just make it for Wii cause there's a lot of Silent Hill fans that have played all 4 of them, or all 5 incl Origins on PS2, they played Origins on PSP, so there's a big fanbase there. So we also wanted to cater to them.

2 questions later

girl GAMER: Also, with other fans that are having xbox and PS3. Are there gonna be any titles of Silent Hill gonna be coming out? ...

Producer: We're always evaluating...

This one is worth watching: 1UP @ E3 'Silent Hill Shattered Memories' interview
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/25161
And really, this is the best controls scheme I've ever experienced for exploring the dark. It feels so immersive, so seemless. ... This world that you're walking around in, we've made that seemless as well. So we got no loading screens, no pauses to load. ... peer through the door ...

On the surface it's a simpler game, because you don't have those clever camera angles. You're not clicking buttons everywhere, there's no text on the screen, but actually it's a much richer experience cause the player is driving it. The player is saying: I'm gonna go into this corner right here. I'm gonna peer at this calender. I'm gonna see what it is.

He has lots of routes and choices. And the idea here is that - this is fully dynamic. We don't have any scripted scares. Everything is based around this kind of dynamic sense based AI. We have adaptive music. These levels are full of choices and routes. So every time you do a runthrough of a nightmare sequence, it's gonna be different. You can't kind of relax and anticipate what's gonna happen next.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Developer Interview)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY4XYo6vTz0#t=0m25s
Lead designer: This is the thing. When everyone got their Wii kits, you looked at it, immediately felt, well this would be really neat for a game about flashlights. And the game works exactly like you'd imagine. You move around with the nunchuk and you point the Wiimote to point the flashlight. And this is a an incredibly immersive and seemless way of exploring.

E3 09: Silent Hill Wii Demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbaBu7I3H1Y#t=3m15s
The Silent Hill franchise finally making the leap to Nintendo's magical gaming machine. Why make the decision to go there?

We saw a lot of room on the Wii for a mature hardcore gamer type game. But we also were looking at ways to enhance the survival horror experience. And if you look at the two Silent Hill trademarks there's the flashlight and then you got the radio static. And right there on the Wii remote, it has a flashlight and you have your radio static coming out of it. So it's kind of a no-brainer.

Official blog:

It Won’t be Long Now!
http://www.konami.com/shsm/blog/?p=311
Since a lot of people will be playing soon, I wanted to suggest a few tips to optimize your Shattered Memories playing experience!

1) Play with low lights. – this is kind of a Survival Horror no-brainer.

2) Consider not using headphones – The game uses a lot of Wii features, including the Wii Remote Speaker. So if you normally game with headphones, you’ll miss a lot of the coolness of Harry’s phone. If your situation requires headphones, there is an option to set all audio to the TV speakers so you don’t miss out on any details (but it might not be as cool )

3) Keep your decisions “personalized” – I know a lot of people game with siblings, significant others, etc. And for a lot of games this is helpful, because they can provide observations or help solve puzzles, etc. But since Shattered Memories is basing a lot of elements (including the ending!) around the player’s psyche, if you’re following another person’s direction then the results might not be as accurate as they could be. My suggestion would be to play once yourself and have your gaming partner watch. Then once you’re finished, switch off and have them play. Afterward you can both tell the other how accurate you felt the game analyzed them. (It’s also an easy way to see two different endings with minimal effort!)

You of course are free to play the game in direct sunlight with headphones and your entire group of friends deciding where Harry goes – it’s up to you. But if you’re after the perfect Silent Hill experience, these tips might help you on your way.

3 Different Worlds
http://www.konami.com/shsm/blog/?p=270
An interesting aspect of this project is the differences between each console that the game is being released for. Silent Hill Homecoming was on Xbox360, PlayStation 3, and PC of course – but those are all fairly similar in their capabilities and the game wasn’t drastically different on any one of the three. Our goal with Shattered Memories is to provide the same core experience regardless of console, again, making sure the game isn’t drastically different regardless of which version you pick up.

However, Wii, PSP, and PlayStation 2 are all very different, so getting the game to work optimally on every system is a real challenge. Each game contains all the same events. The Psych Profile is just as expansive on the PSP as it is on the Wii. The most challenging part of this juggling act is our streaming world. Unlike other games in the series, and probably most other games in the genre, Shattered Memories never cuts away to a loading screen. Back in the old days, you’d press X to open a door and the screen would fade out and you’d see footprints or a loading icon. Then the next room would load. Then repeat. This isn’t just frustrating when you’re playing the game, but it also kills the mood. There’s nothing worse than having Yamaoka-san’s soundtrack creeping you out, running from a bloodthirsty nurse while desperately low on health, with your sanity wearing down from the incessant cacophonous noises… and having all that disappear for 15 seconds while the next corridor is shifted into memory.

So Climax came up with awesome tech that would eliminate the need to load the game room by room. Now Harry Mason is stuck in the horrific streets of Silent Hill with no 15-second pauses to save him. But that available memory is waaaay different from Wii to PS2 to PSP. Still, we committed early on to making sure you wouldn’t be staring at disembodied foot prints. It’s been a huge challenge – so we really hope you portable players appreciate it!

Edit:

John Harker said:
I almost want to suggest we start over with another official thread. Yikes.
brandonh83 said:
:lol

ruffles said:
Ugh I hate these chase sequences. I'm at the high school one and I keep dying cuz I don't know where I'm going. An on screen mini map would have helped.
Y2Kev said:
I played 20-30 minutes of this on a break from another little game and I got to the part where I had to do the full body waggle and I died three times.
Hesemonni said:
Can't get past the second nightmare sequence. Fuck this game and series along with it.
*sigh*

chandoog said:
whelp ... Gamespot put up a new preview for the PSP version ..

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/silenthillshatteredmemories/news.html?sid=6246328&mode=previews

Surprisingly, the controls seem like they've been adapted pretty well.
As for moving the flashlight around, you can't do it while Harry is walking (as you can in the Wii version). So, instead, the PSP version lets you hit the right-shoulder button, which takes you into a first-person view that gives you a closer, first-person view you can manipulate with the analog nub without moving Harry around
Naturally, other concessions had to be made to accommodate the PSP's hardware, but one aspect of the game that hasn't changed much at all is the visuals. The PSP version of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories looks nearly identical to its Wii counterpart, but there are some slight differences. It seems like you can't see quite as far into the distance in some scenes. There are also some textures and areas that aren't clear as those found in the Wii version.

:lol

MYE

ITS FINALLY HERE!!!

And damn, it looks really great on my TV.
Voiceacting, music and controls are absolutely perfect so far, and its really pulling my point&click/adventure fanboy strings :D

BTW anyone have a link to the piano version of acceptance that kicks in in the introduction credits? I only found a fanmade one on Youtube

selig

Banned
Tab0203 said:
Why is this thread dying?

Because hardly anyone is playing it. "Wii has no games", ya know.

I finished it two weeks ago or so, and it was an incredible experience. But first, I´d like to say...why do people complain about this game´s lenght? The average time I see people posting is 6 hours. Took me 7 hours. When a super-hype game like GoW3 is only 8 hours (as people who played it wrote), then I can´t understand how horror-style game can be criticized for its lenght. Especially since SH:SM offers so much on its replays.

Leaving that aside, what the game did, it did fantastic. The controls are obviously the best, and something not even Move could replicate. Using the Wiimote-speaker for various effects is just great. While listening to a mobile phone call, I held the wiimote to my ear, as if it was a real mobile phone. Pointer-controls also are incredible, the lighting is near perfect. And so fluid.

What´s most astounding, though, is the texture work. Not only are textures of high resolution, letting you read everything you want without entering some "click a-button to read"-crap, but there are also soooo many different textures. Every place, every room is so full of details.
Btw. what I notice...Im not sure...but when I was at the hospital, the graphics seemed to be super foggy, like N64-foggy. Was that a poorly developed scene, or did they actually use it for effect?

I´m not a horror-game fan, most of those typical horror-games are far too much for my nerves. SH:SM was great, though. It mostly didnt rely on silly shock-moments, but built a tight, creepy atmosphere that was there all the time. Even if you knew that there´s no danger in the normal-world, it was creepy exploring and reading and hearing messages from past events.

I really loved the game and it´s up there woth games like Mario Galaxy or Mass Effect. Regarding a possible successor, I´d really love to see Climax give Silent Hill 2 their treatment.
And I´d love to see a SH-game for Wii that actually is about Silent Hill, the town and its mystery :p This game, actually, has no relationship to Silent Hill, as it´s all just the imagination of a person. Make the next game about exploring a real Silent Hill and its hell, maybe also use a more neutral main character, some 25-year old guy without kids. Even though it wasnt a problem in SM, playing a dad really only is as emotional when you are a dad yourself.
But yeah, please Silent Hill 2 for Wii.....plus advertising it :/

John Harker said:

I'm almost positive that's Cheryl. For a few reasons:
1) Dahlia in the game is not the real Dahlia. It's the Dahlia in Cheryl's imagination.
2) Every part of the game seems to represent some kind of important memory for Cheryl. Most of them are bad memories since she puts more emphasis on those. You had her sitting on the swing wishing for her father to come back when she was little. You had her bad High School memories, including the pictures that were taken. You had her good memories of the amusement park, perhaps her only positive memories in the entire game. Why would she remember the mall? They bought a puppy there that was run over. And the killing of Malcolm. Cheryl is an introverted person.
3) The picture of the ghost that killed Malcolm looks like Cheryl.
4) The variations of the Problem Child notes definitely point to it being Cheryl.

Here's one variation of the first message.

[Var. 1]
-Malcolm. Doing my rounds. I saw her again. I... I, aw shit, you know, I guess I can say this. I turned my back when she took something. Pretended I didn't see it. Why? I dunno. I guess I feel sorry for her. Last time we grabbed her, when we were talking to her... I dunno, there was so much sadness in those eyes. I felt sorry for her.

---
Another variation of the same message:

[Var. 3]
-Malcolm. Just after three in the afternoon. A retailer called in a shoplifter on the first floor. Sure enough, it's that girl again. Well why am I holding off grabbing her? I guess I feel sorry for her. When we took her in last time she was so mad, so angry. Just kicking and screaming. Clearly got her own share of problems. I don't mind grabbing the kids who are just messing about, don't mind grabbing those preppy little shits who are just, you know, showing off. But I feel bad with her. Oh, she's moving.

---
Here's a variation of the Malcolm's Dead messages:

[Var. 2]
-911? It's Malcolm the security guard, he's been stabbed!
-Slow down, sir. Is there bleeding?
-Yes. There's lots. He's not moving.
-And the attacker? Is he still there?
-She. It's a she. She's still here, she's sitting on a bench. She's just staring into space.
-The police and ambulance are on their way. Do not approach the attacker.

---
It's that last message, combined with the picture you take, and "I dunno, there was so much sadness in those eyes.", that makes it seem to me that it has to be Cheryl.

But I guess it's open to interpretation.

Mr_Zombie

selig said:
And I´d love to see a SH-game for Wii that actually is about Silent Hill, the town and its mystery :p This game, actually, has no relationship to Silent Hill, as it´s all just the imagination of a person. Make the next game about exploring a real Silent Hill and its hell

Please, no.

I love that Shattered Memories went the Silent Hill 2 route, that it threw away the whole crazy cult and god things aside and just turned Silent Hill into a small town where shit happens that don't really need to be explained.

The story in SH3, 0rigins and Homecoming suffered horribly from being so much focused on the town itself, the town's dirty secrets and the Cult. Silent Hill 2 and Shattered Memories, on the other hand, used the town only as a background to tell the story about crime & punishment (SH2) and about a young girl dealing with a great loss (SM). And I think it was much more interesting. I also think that 0rigins' story could be much better were they dump the whole "it's a SH1 prequel" thing and just focused on Travis, his strange relationship with parents and his emotional problems.

Dascu

I'm not very good at long write-ups. But, I'll say one thing: It's rare to see a game like this. I'm very glad I played it.

selig

Banned
Mr_Zombie said:
Please, no.

I love that Shattered Memories went the Silent Hill 2 route, that it threw away the whole crazy cult and god things aside and just turned Silent Hill into a small town where shit happens that don't really need to be explained.

But that´s exactly what i mean. there IS NO Silent Hill in SM. It´s all just the imagination of the girl. I´d like to have a game that´s not just a dream. It was great for this one game, but it´d be annoying to play several games that all are but dreams

selig said:
But that´s exactly what i mean. there IS NO Silent Hill in SM. It´s all just the imagination of the girl. I´d like to have a game that´s not just a dream. It was great for this one game, but it´d be annoying to play several games that all are but dreams
That' just, like, your interpretation, dude.

Top Bottom