• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - Season 3 of the hilarious Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madrin

I finally got around to watching this week's episode and holy shit I cannot stop laughing at that ending. I can't remember the last time a TV show has made me laugh so hard. Jared's joke combined with the fact that all that build-up was for nothing. Dinesh's face was great too.

From a storytelling perspective it was pretty dumb, but from a comedy perspective it was fucking hilarious.

I love Ocean's Eleven and so I definitely loved the second half of this episode.

I also loved how Erlich fell asleep on the chair during the speed-up, wakes up towards the end, smokes some more and then immediately fall asleep again, lol.

Grinchy

Banned
I love Ocean's Eleven and so I definitely loved the second half of this episode.

I also loved how Erlich fell asleep on the chair during the speed-up, wakes up towards the end, smokes some more and then immediately fall asleep again, lol.

And Jian Yang keeps trying to get pizza and fails. He finally gets a slice while Erlich is asleep, but it wakes Erlich up for a second and he looks around.

See now that I rewatch that it looks intentional to me.

Most of it looks intentional to me as well, especially because of the lack of a reaction from Gilfoyle and Dinesh to the joke. My only problem with that theory is Dinesh whispering to Richard at the end, it seems unnecessary.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Just noticed something while rewatching; look at the greybeard's badge...

S9qwxfn.png

Poor guy's been down there for years. And he looked so optimistic about the future.

I saw the episode last night and came to the thread just now to see if anyone caught it.

Such an amazing touch.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
This season is way better than Season 2 IMO. Season 2 was watchable but not that funny.

They seem to have let loose with the humor a little more. The show's really found its groove and I'm glad it's not only stayed so good 3 seasons in but gotten better. Mike Judge is a national treasure.

Shaneus

Most of it looks intentional to me as well, especially because of the lack of a reaction from Gilfoyle and Dinesh to the joke. My only problem with that theory is Dinesh whispering to Richard at the end, it seems unnecessary.
But the lack of reaction isn't indicative of the setup... Jared was even saying in the elevator that he had some new lines to try out on him.

Mully

The way Erlich greeted the Japanese gardener earlier in the episode and how the final scene starts with a shot on the gardener makes me think this is all a part of the plan.

Maybe the skunkworks plan is still on, along with another, more sophisticated and effective plan.

If Richard and Co. simply go behind Jack Barker's back and develop all of the other platforms, it does not solve their problem; it actually makes it more difficult. Barker needs to be removed completely from the company for Richard, Jared, Gilfoyle, and Dinesh to regain control and developing a bunch of unwanted features behind Barker's back does not remove him from Pied Piper.

Barker will be praised for following Raviga's wishes for Pied Piper's future, and he'll get critical acclaim from the industry for Richard's work. There's no way Raviga would fire him.

But.....

If Jack stumbled on their skunkworks plan through Richard's slip by an oddly placed hose manned by the gardener then he would have to fire Richard. From Raviga's perspective, that would depict chaos, which according to Monica was the reason they wouldn't fire Jack in the first place. However, in this situation it would be chaos caused by Jack, not Raviga.

So, in this environment, Jack Barker would ignore Raviga's long term plans for Pied Piper, then fire Richard, the man that created Middle-Out overnight, for insubordination. However, this still would not be enough to fire Jack from Raviga's perspective. To Raviga's investors, it would look like an understandable move given Richard's behavior.

To fire Jack, and to solve the long term problem of his commercialization of Pied Piper, Gilfoyle, and Dinesh would need to tank the server platform. They need to make it so bad, that Raviga will realize that he's not fit to run the company. Raviga's investors would see a CEO who ignored its longterm wishes, who fired an industry icon, and then released a, "subpar," server platform while the competition (Hooli's former employees) gets the limelight for also cracking Middle-Out.

Jack gets fired and now Raviga searches for its next CEO of Pied Piper, but wait he's been there all along, it's Richard, and he's back like Steve Jobs, but he also has the real skunkworks plan in his back pocket. Between Richard's firing and the release of the sever, the hacker hostel has been hard at work developing the cloud platforms. Raviga will have no other option but to rehire Richard, release the platforms it desired, and fight off the competition.

iammeiam

The sales guy who picks up the paper and takes it to Jack was standing next to two other guys. Given that they'd be just off camera, the whispered conversation for their benefit could be a very obvious way of making sure everyone knows what Richard just got caught with and that Dinesh and Gilfoyle were involved. If it's not a staged conversation, Dinesh's line seems overexpositiony.

Can't wait, I originally started watching this block of HBO for Game of Thrones, but Silicon Valley is definitely making me more excited these days.

GavinGT

Banned
Everything involving Erlich smoking weed is hilarious. Notice how last episode they did that fast-forward thing as everyone was planning out the skunkworks operation, but Erlich just sat on the couch the entire time smoking.

Chase17

Another good episode. Jared's story connecting to Monica's decision probably got the biggest laugh from me. That actor's delivery is always perfect. Time for veep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom