• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Can't you disable all that stupid stuff, UFOs, zombies and that?

I think only in Sandbox. Also, disasters are fun :p I was actually surprised how well I survived zombies, only dropped from 65k to 55k

Got a city of 10,000 with a million daily income. Oil Town baby!

I have a ton of oil as well.......I just didn't know you had to do more than just build a trade depot and oil well lol

And disasters can be good, give you an excuse to clear out low density areas so they can be replaced with denser buildings

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I was just kicked out of the game because of server maintenance. There's another bulletpoint for those against Always On DRM.

I was told I was getting kicked out and that anything not synced to the main servers would be synced later. I doubt that.

Anyway, here's something very stupid: My city wanted an airport, so I made one. My city has irregular terrain, so, while it had no problem adding the main runaway of the airport, I couldn't add another one. Sure, the main runaway was actually going underground (it actually terraformed the region), but it placed there, there's no reason why it couldn't put another one.

So I destroyed that airport, took a loan and put the airport down in another, flatter location, which gave no indication that the ground wasn't flat. STILL, ground wasn't flat enough to put another lane. I said fuck it, took another loan, destroyed that airport again and put it on a place where the runaway got OFF the ground (as opposed to going in), thinking they would clearly allow me to do that, right?

Nope, still can't plop another runaway down. Terrain is uneven. Well, fuck you game. All my terrain is uneven, and it's just a little bit. If you're not giving me information of where I can plop down the airport and add more lanes, how am I supposed to know that?

Now I have three loans and only one shitty airport with 4 storage hangars that still can't ship all the freight in the city away. *sigh* Good thing I have money to live this down and do other stuff without much worries.

NJBorn

Banned
I was just kicked out of the game because of server maintenance. There's another bulletpoint for those against Always On DRM.

I was told I was getting kicked out and that anything not synced to the main servers would be synced later. I doubt that.

Anyway, here's something very stupid: My city wanted an airport, so I made one. My city has irregular terrain, so, while it had no problem adding the main runaway of the airport, I couldn't add another one. Sure, the main runaway was actually going underground (it actually terraformed the region), but it placed there, there's no reason why it couldn't put another one.

So I destroyed that airport, took a loan and put the airport down in another, flatter location, which gave no indication that the ground wasn't flat. STILL, ground wasn't flat enough to put another lane. I said fuck it, took another loan, destroyed that airport again and put it on a place where the runaway got OFF the ground (as opposed to going in), thinking they would clearly allow me to do that, right?

Nope, still can't plop another runaway down. Terrain is uneven. Well, fuck you game. All my terrain is uneven, and it's just a little bit. If you're not giving me information of where I can plop down the airport and add more lanes, how am I supposed to know that?

Now I have three loans and only one shitty airport with 4 storage hangars that still can't ship all the freight in the city away. *sigh*
rather they fix the game now though

Smiley90

I have a ton of oil as well.......I just didn't know you had to do more than just build a trade depot and oil well lol

And disasters can be good, give you an excuse to clear out low density areas so they can be replaced with denser buildings

I ran into the situation with my high tech industry.... Was getting all my alloy and plastic from recycling and was making like 300k per day... Then it all collectively hit the fan in a cascade:

1) Highway-traffic with Fear increased drastically, massive waits at the highway
2) city-traffic increased due to all the increased commuting
3) recycling trucks started getting stuck in traffic
4) city grew, recycling couldn't keep up - either nothing to recycle (because stuck in traffic) or too much to recycle (all trucks coming in at once)
5) because i had a high-education city, this would happen in rushes when classes started - when everyone commutes, no recycling, then right after, too much
6) because recycling was so frequently overloaded, recycling trucks couldn't offload their stuff and were stuck, which led to an accumulation of recycling in residential areas that wasn't getting picked up
7) no space for more recycling, and all the help from Fear was stuck on the highway
8) because of this, my high-tech industry's supply ran dry and also in bursts.
9) my processor delivery trucks also got stuck on the highway, meaning no more processors were delivered
10) mass collapse of both my industry and recycling complete.

Cascades like this are a ton of fun though, because I could just see it unravel right in front of me and there was nothing I could do that was obvious to me, except tearing down a huge block to build another recycling plant..... Which I had no money for since my industry had already crashed and losing more residential to build more utilities would've made my budget situation even worse.

Such a clusterfuck, but a fun one

drizzle

Axel Hertz
rather they fix the game now though

Oh, I'm not complaining about it: I understand that fixing a server means taking it down for a while. I'm just expecting the massive "OH GOD I CAN'T EVEN PLAY THE GAME NOW BECAUSE THE SERVERS ARE DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE THIS IS HORRIBLE"

You know, like complaining about a game patching itself.

Jhriad

My friends and I are all ready to start a new region after learning the ropes last night so I decided to set one up. Got to wondering if I could game the mechanics by building a single road with commercial zoning on one side and residential on the other. No utilities just those two zones. The populace eventually abandons the town but not until they've paid into the city coffers for a few days. Kinda nice to have $250,000 with a 150 person town, no upkeep, unused resources, and no pollution. Hoping to get a large enough wad set aside I can just play with cheap roads for a bit to get a better idea of the layout I want for the entire city all at once instead of the piecemeal additions I was doing yesterday.

georgc

what else do you have to do?

Effnine

Now I have three loans and only one shitty airport with 4 storage hangars that still can't ship all the freight in the city away. *sigh* Good thing I have money to live this down and do other stuff without much worries.

Damn, that's cold. Even the SimCity game on Facebook will tell you if a building can be placed somewhere or not.

Do the other runways have to be in a specific spot?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Oh, I'm not complaining about it: I understand that fixing a server means taking it down for a while. I'm just expecting the massive "OH GOD I CAN'T EVEN PLAY THE GAME NOW BECAUSE THE SERVERS ARE DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE THIS IS HORRIBLE"

You know, like complaining about a game patching itself.

A game patching itself is annoying, but takes a minute or two. This server-maintenance is because of high traffic, and no telling of how long it will take untill you can play a single player game by yourself because a server is down.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I ran into the situation with my high tech industry.... Was getting all my alloy and plastic from recycling and was making like 300k per day... Then it all collectively hit the fan in a cascade:

<snip>

Cascades like this are a ton of fun though, because I could just see it unravel right in front of me and there was nothing I could do that was obvious to me, except tearing down a huge block to build another recycling plant..... Which I had no money for since my industry had already crashed and losing more residential to build more utilities would've made my budget situation even worse.

Such a clusterfuck, but a fun one

I'm getting there. I can see traffic increasing A LOT on my city. I... I don't know what to do about it?

It's not like I can build more roads. Maybe I should just tear one set of blocks down and build a cross section train avenue and hope people use that instead?

Spl1nter

should of just built an international airport.

Effnine

I'm getting there. I can see traffic increasing A LOT on my city. I... I don't know what to do about it?

It's not like I can build more roads. Maybe I should just tear one set of blocks down and build a cross section train avenue and hope people use that instead?

I take it there is no subway system available?

Smiley90

what else do you have to do?

You have to build the specific storage lots in the trade port and the set those to "export" instead of the "use locally" that's the default.

I wish I knew :lol. I think it's those damn curvy roads messing with my layout, but they just look better than a boring grid :( I hope the server update fixes some of the commuting issues though, so then we'll see how much of that traffic was my fault and how much was the server's :p i even put down a train and a ferry too :(

So after zombie apocalypse destroyed me I bulldozed my city but cannot figure out how to start over in the same bit of land. I see how I can start a new game in a new region but I want to continue to play in the gaf region I was on. Start new game when I'm in the region does nothing it just allows me to claim another city plot which is someone elses.

Yeah, the main bummer for me right now is that sometimes you'll place the main building but not have enough room for some of the extras that really make it work.
I know they show you those little boxes when you place the building, but sometimes it can't tell you the full extent of space it will need.

For instance, the garbage collection. I need to add road to make more spaces for landfills but I put my garbage in a remote location where it can't really expand. So I gotta delete.. move... redo, etc., all at a cost.
Long story short, I just built one and I'm burning all my garbage now. Fuck.

Also, who among the registered for Discovery Delta 1 haven't gotten the game or are not planning to any time soon, etc? It's killing me that so many cities are empty, especially because multi-city trade is really necessary for awesome city building.

I'm considering starting a new invite-region tonight and I'll invite the SimCity GAF All-Stars. Anybody interested?

I am at work but the more I read on this game the more I want to play it. I am starting to see why they started out with small plots. There is more strategy to this game which gets higher the more population you get .

Seems like roads are a huge thing once you get higher population . So you just build your city real fast your roads might stop growth.

I think people are blasting on the small plots too much without playing the game.

Seems like the grid of squares is good for lower population but bad for higher population.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Damn, that's cold. Even the SimCity game on Facebook will tell you if a building can be placed somewhere or not.

Do the other runways have to be in a specific spot?

It does tell you where you can build a building and if there's anything on the way of upgrades (like a road or another building).

On this particular case, it doesn't tell you that the terrain is too steep to add another runaway to the airport. It's a special case, I'm only somewhat pissed at it.

I take it there is no subway system available?

Nope. There's a railway system, and avenues with street cars in it. I'll have to check it out, but I'll have to tear down a line of blocks to put a runaway intersecting with the other one to get to the far ends of the city.

should of just built an international airport.

Isn't the international airport a regional structure? I don't want that, I want the space exploration thing, but I can't make that decision alone (well, I can... but you know).

For instance, the garbage collection. I need to add road to make more spaces for landfills but I put my garbage in a remote location where it can't really expand. So I gotta delete.. move... redo, etc., all at a cost.
Long story short, I just built one and I'm burning all my garbage now. Fuck.?

Well, it's garbage, what are you going to do? store it and then turn half of your city into a dump? Make the garbage depot on the edge of the map, use the wind in your favor and blow the smoke away to "The Region". Let it be some other city's problem. :p

I just wish we could burn the garbage and use it as a energy source, even if it's a small one.

Well, it's garbage, what are you going to do? store it and then turn half of your city into a dump? Make the garbage depot on the edge of the map, use the wind in your favor and blow the smoke away to "The Region". Let it be some other city's problem. :p

I just wish we could burn the garbage and use it as a energy source, even if it's a small one.

I was hoping we'd have a way to cleanly handle the garbage in some other way.

I was getting constant messages on the top of the screen saying "Something foul in the air! Delta Prime's pollution is getting worse" and I see now it's because all the other jerks in the region are burning their trash ;)

So yeah, now I'm burning mine. It's at the edge of the map and just blows right off the island and into the water. Yay earth.

Setre

Finally get time to play this and the East Coast servers are down. Tried to play on a West Coast server and was able to create my own private game but when I scrolled all the way out I couldn't scroll back in. Quit and restarted the game now I get a message saying I should play the tutorial and when I go to do so nothing happens. So far this game sucks balls.

When I do eventually get play are there any games with open slots on the East Coast servers? My origin name is Setre.

Spl1nter

I was getting constant messages on the top of the screen saying "Something foul in the air! Delta Prime's pollution is getting worse" and I see now it's because all the other jerks in the region are burning their trash ;)

So yeah, now I'm burning mine. It's at the edge of the map and just blows right off the island and into the water. Yay earth.

my city is in not processing limbo :(

I will need to coordinate with my other 3 mini region mates a lot. Got a very difficult city. Only 50% build able with no resources other than water. Going to go for residential/commercial/tourism/.

Phreaker

Finally get time to play this and the East Coast servers are down. Tried to play on a West Coast server and was able to create my own private game but when I scrolled all the way out I couldn't scroll back in. Quit and restarted the game now I get a message saying I should play the tutorial and when I go to do so nothing happens.

After the tutorial starts and doesn't give you anything to do, quit back to the main screen and GETTING STARTED should be gone. (It will do this each time you connect to a new server, yay!)

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Even we, as a real society, don't have a way to deal with garbage. We do recycle, but it seems to me that Recycling and Regular Garbage are two different "resources" in the game, I don't think recycling will diminish your garbage problem.

Only real solution I can see so far is creating a city that's mostly used to collect garbage from other cities. I wonder if there's a city hall upgrade that'll allow some sort of garbage profiteering/treatment.

Smiley90

Even we, as a real society, don't have a way to deal with garbage. We do recycle, but it seems to me that Recycling and Regular Garbage are two different "resources" in the game, I don't think recycling will diminish your garbage problem.

Only real solution I can see so far is creating a city that's mostly used to collect garbage from other cities.

Actually: high-education mostly recycles (producing less garbage), will low-education just throws everything in the garbage. Just like real life, kinda.

If you have a garbage problem, try educating your people! I think one of the education building tooltips even mentions the shift from
Garbage to recycling :)

JambiBum

It does tell you where you can build a building and if there's anything on the way of upgrades (like a road or another building).

On this particular case, it doesn't tell you that the terrain is too steep to add another runaway to the airport. It's a special case, I'm only somewhat pissed at it.

Nope. There's a railway system, and avenues with street cars in it. I'll have to check it out, but I'll have to tear down a line of blocks to put a runaway intersecting with the other one to get to the far ends of the city.

Isn't the international airport a regional structure? I don't want that, I want the space exploration thing, but I can't make that decision alone (well, I can... but you know).

I ran into the same airport problem. I cleared out plenty of space that I was reserving for it. When it came time to build it I couldnt place it where I wanted to because for some reason there were no snap points there. I only had snap points in one area thar was in the commercial part of town. It let me plop it down ontop of some buildings but because of the way the road was shaped I couldnt add anything to it. I demolished it and fixed the road. Bought a new one and added the freight depot. Went to add another runway but it told me that the terrain was too steep because the first runway dug into the ground.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Actually: high-education mostly recycles (producing less garbage), will low-education just throws everything in the garbage. Just like real life, kinda.

If you have a garbage problem, try educating your people! I think one of the education building tooltips even mentions the shift from

I guess that's true: I have a 200k pop city and I'm not burning as much trash as I was on my other 100k pop city, difference is people are smarter on this one. Most of my recycling (but only a small part of it) is being done by one of my neighbors.

I guess i'll cut that revenue stream from them in a couple hours... :D

Only real solution I can see so far is creating a city that's mostly used to collect garbage from other cities. I wonder if there's a city hall upgrade that'll allow some sort of garbage profiteering/treatment.

I actually am focusing on Culture and Education, so I have a Recycling Center and everything. Which is cool.

I think the main thing is we don't have giant areas where we can dump all our trash, and since time moves so fast we end up seeing the consequences of city garbage and there's not much to do about it.

It paints a bleak vision of our future.

My thinking is we could somehow create a Great Work to blast all of our trash into space or something. I mean, if we're going to have UFOs attack us we might as well send a little something back their way, right?

When I was watching one of the Letsallbemayor streams, they said that more educated sims would use less power, water, and produce less garbage.

evilhomer

So after zombie apocalypse destroyed me I bulldozed my city but cannot figure out how to start over in the same bit of land. I see how I can start a new game in a new region but I want to continue to play in the gaf region I was on. Start new game when I'm in the region does nothing it just allows me to claim another city plot which is someone elses.

I sent you an invite to play on that spot so hopefully that works.

Smiley90

When I was watching one of the Letsallbemayor streams, they said that more educated sims would use less power, water, and produce less garbage.

Less garbage for sure, but high education usually comes with high wealth, and high wealth uses much more power and water than low wealth, so in the end that effect of education is probably overpowered...ha engage definitely becomes more recycling as education rises though.

Wes

venison crêpe
So I have an interesteing bug.

I can't get any Police Cars, Fire Engines or Ambulances. No matter how many of the stations I buy, where I place them or how many of the edits I buy for each I have no vehicles roaming the streets.

As such everything is burning down and I have multiple serial killers currently.

AppleMIX

I think only in Sandbox. Also, disasters are fun :p I was actually surprised how well I survived zombies, only dropped from 65k to 55k

I had godzilla come to my city, destroy one building and eat all of my garbage at the landfill. It worked out quite well for me.

Holy shit

SimCity logins are closed right now.......so I pull out my phone to check on my Simpsons Tapped Out game.........server error

FUUUUUU EA

I had godzilla come to my city, destroy one building and eat all of my garbage at the landfill. It worked out quite well for me.

Meteor strike demolished my elementary school (yes, school was in session) right after I just spent extra cash adding classrooms. Also took out a chunk of low income residential. I kind of like the random disasters though, or else it would be much easier to just coast with these small city sizes. I really can't bitch about the small city sizes right now because I feel like a chicken with its head cut off trying to manage schools, utilities, and services. Commercial zones are being a bunch of whiny babies too.

Less garbage for sure, but high education usually comes with high wealth, and high wealth uses much more power and water than low wealth, so in the end that effect of education is probably overpowered...ha engage definitely becomes more recycling as education rises though.

The mid and lower educated sims probably use less power though.

So I have an interesteing bug.

I can't get any Police Cars, Fire Engines or Ambulances. No matter how many of the stations I buy, where I place them or how many of the edits I buy for each I have no vehicles roaming the streets.

As such everything is burning down and I have multiple serial killers currently.

I have the same problem with crime. I have a fucking police precinct that was really expensive and they roam the streets but never arrest the 300 criminals that are in my city. It costs something like 6000 simoleons an hour to run that building.

gamma

I think the regular police can only arrest when a crime is being commited. A detective wing will go after criminals.

Top Bottom