• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Well while the server is offline:

This is a free opensource SimCity 1 port:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/micropolis.mirror/?source=dlp

micropolis-game.png

RedWaltz79

Neo Member
I don't mind disasters but those clown disasters that kill the 'realistic' immersion a bit annoy me :/ I can't have that shit in my games.

Yeah that's where I'm at

They have taken SimCity along the same way as The Sims, which is really no surprise. It isn't suppose to be ultra realistic, but fun.

However, they options to turn off vampires in Sims 3 for those who don't want them, so I am sure they will add it to this game.

Wes

venison crêpe
I have the same problem with crime. I have a fucking police precinct that was really expensive and they roam the streets but never arrest the 300 criminals that are in my city. It costs something like 6000 simoleons an hour to run that building.

I currently have 8 police cars but they're no where to be seen. They're not visiting another city in the region. They're not in my city. And they're not in the station car lot.

Likewise I have 10 building fires a day because my Fire Engines don't exist in this physical realm.

Next city I start I'm going to have to grow into my city a bit more. I went high density and income way too quick and people refused to do the dirty (necessary) work.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I currently have 8 police cars but they're no where to be seen. They're not visiting another city in the region. They're not in my city. And they're not in the station car lot.

Likewise I have 10 building fires a day because my Fire Engines don't exist in this physical realm.
Stuck in traffic on the highway maybe?

Could be part of the update, if trade logic includes sharing services with cities. Perhaps there was a bug that caused your services to be fully shared with another city.

If you have twitter, perhaps you should send one to @oceanquigley about it.

Stuck in traffic on the highway maybe?

And possibly this....

I have the same problem with crime. I have a fucking police precinct that was really expensive and they roam the streets but never arrest the 300 criminals that are in my city. It costs something like 6000 simoleons an hour to run that building.

Sounds like your jail cells are full, they can't lock up criminals if there's nowhere to put them. They do get rehabilitated over time, but it is likely that crimes occur more frequently than rehabilitations so you'll have to expand your jail capacity.

Smiley90

Could be part of the update, if trade logic includes sharing services with cities. Perhaps there was a bug that caused your services to be fully shared with another city.

If you have twitter, perhaps you should send one to @oceanquigley about it.

server update is supposed to fix that, so let's see :p

Build the maxis man plot. He has been doing good with my crime.

Wes

venison crêpe
robbers must have killed them (i hope that's a feature of the game)

I thought that might be the case. Or maybe I didn't have enough workers so I tested by just putting residential everywhere. Nope, still nothing. Even if I build another station.

Spl1nter

Can you claim another plot in the region and then gift yourself the money?

Yes. It enabled me to get the city right beside it off the ground really quickly. Would have been a lot tougher and slower to make a residential/commercial/tourism/education city with absolutely no industry. Now have 100 000 in a city with no industrial, mostly commuting to the industrial city to work.

Still need to experiment with gambling, but based on the leader boards it doesn't not seem very efficient.

So annoyed with this game I checked Steam to see if for some miraculous reason Sim City 4 was on sale, but it isn't. I have a copy of it somewhere, but I'll never find it.

Wes

venison crêpe
AH I'VE FOUND A FIX!

So I got a "challenge" from a Sim to do something about crime. This time when I bought a patrol car lot there were actual cars with them for a change!

So I need to keep clicking on all these challenges for the mean time it seems so I can get all my services *working* again.

Sethos

Banned
They have taken SimCity along the same way as The Sims, which is really no surprise. It isn't suppose to be ultra realistic, but fun.

However, they options to turn off vampires in Sims 3 for those who don't want them, so I am sure they will add it to this game.

So something ultra realistic can't be fun? Sorry but that's a silly notion.

However let's hope you can disable it at some point, I'll go sandbox until that happens.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Origin finally completed my order and sent me an email to preload the launcher, unlocked it via an US VPN, now downloading the client.

In 3 hours I will be able to play, but I'll also have to sleep :/

StUnNeR H2K

Posting this again since it was at the bottom a few pages back.

Here is the original Viridian Woods #2 GAF/Origin list.

I'm restarting the region on the North America West 2. The original North America East 1 server is all messed up, since you can't join regions, cities won't load, etc.

If you are not planning to switch over or have decided not to play please let me know. I have others interested in starting in a new GAF region on North America West 2.

Viridian Woods #2
Lancaster Pointe - (GAF) Arcticfox (Origin) Arcticfox24
Yorkshire Cliffs - (GAF) StevieP (Origin) steviep_to
Tudor Isle - (GAF) Soi-Fong (Origin) Moki-asa
Wessex Bend - (GAF) Reluctant-Hero (Origin) Reluctant-Hero
Traviata Knoll - (GAF) StUnNeR H2K (Origin) StUnNeR-H2K
Giovanni Woods - (GAF) The Wizard (Origin) DeadPixelOrigin
Figaro Forest - (GAF) Pyrogeek (Origin) Joby21
Tosca Cliffs - (GAF) Snuggler (Origin) Snuggler666
Straussburg Isles - (GAF) JordanKZ (Origin) J0rdan_KZ
Burghausen Hills - (GAF) Norante (Origin) Norantus
Bamberg Basin - (GAF) Spazo (Origin) SpazoQC
Hohenburg Shores - (GAF) froliq (Origin) frolique
Matisse Plains - (GAF) Dr.Palutena (Origin) DrPalutena
Gaugin Valley - (GAF) sdornan (Origin) sdornan
Rousseau Flats - (GAF) RedWaltz79 (Origin) RedWaltz
Monet Plateau - (GAF) sl4yor (Origin) Tabzor

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Let me say again for those who might have missed it:

The sewage treatment plant doesn't just get rid of your sewage. It reclaims it, and adds it back into the water table. Notice how the area under the treatment plant is always full of water? Put a pump next to it.

Spl1nter

The sewage treatment plant doesn't just get rid of your sewage. It reclaims it, and adds it back into the water table. Notice how the area under the treatment plant is always full of water? Put a pump next to it.

Water is also renewed faster next to open water sources

To add to this, if you have polluted ground from where your sewage pumps were, plant some trees and parks there.

Darklord

Banned
The city size is dreadful. At the start it's okay but I'm full up. I got to increase my density a lot but no more space at 28,000? Fuck.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
I can open the game, but it's stuck at "Checking for Updates" so no go.

I got in about 2 hours of play, and my city failed.... Never played a Simcity before so I'm quite shit.

Smiley90

try using avenues, i have skyscrapers only on avenues.
the size of the buildings has a direct correlation on how wide the streets are.

Eh, high density streets and high density avenues have the same effect. Avenues just handle more traffic, but the effect on building density/skyscrapers is the same, you get them from both.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
They really need to let you plan mass transit schedules. The bus and street car AI truly is terrible.

I did this sometimes in simcity 4, and I've been trying it out here with varying degrees of success. Basically, designing the roads so that the traffic is forced into a particular path because that's the only way it can go.

A variation of my previous one road city, putting a streetcar path that was just one, continuous track seemed to help. That way, the streetcars only had one way to go, and didn't lose efficiency by going off in random directions.

Smiley90

They really need to let you plan mass transit schedules. The bus and street car AI truly is terrible.

I did this sometimes in simcity 4, and I've been trying it out here with varying degrees of success. Basically, designing the roads so that the traffic is forced into a particular path because that's the only way it can go.

A variation of my previous one road city, putting a streetcar path that was just one, continuous track seemed to help. That way, the streetcars only had one way to go, and didn't lose efficiency by going off in random directions.

Yup. Rush hour style DLC needs to come faaaaaast. More than increased city size :p need those subways, bus routes, 1way streets, etc

Eh, high density streets and high density avenues have the same effect. Avenues just handle more traffic, but the effect on building density/skyscrapers is the same, you get them from both.

im going to have to disagree with you.
yes there are tall buildings on the High Density streets,
but for my city, the high skyscrapers are only on the avenues.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
im going to have to disagree with you.
yes there are tall buildings on the High Density streets,
but for my city, the high skyscrapers are only on the avenues.

Are you sure that's not because of the size of the blocks you made? When you mouse over an avenue, it'll give you a bigger square for the block size.

How you mouse over a road, the size of the block is smaller.

Maybe your skyscrapers are only on the avenues because you started to make roads from them and they're the only places where big buildings have enough space to show up?

However, when mousing over avenues on the road selection menu, it does say which kind of building they serve....

Smiley90

Are you sure that's not because of the size of the blocks you made? When you mouse over an avenue, it'll give you a bigger square for the block size.

Maybe your skyscrapers are only on the avenues because you started to make roads from them and they're the only places where big buildings have enough space to show up?

However, when mousing over avenues on the road selection menu, it does say which kind of building they serve....

It's probably this, yes. Standard zoning for roads is smaller than avenes, sometimes too small for skyscrapers. If I was home right now I'd show you a pic of my skyscrapers on roads ;)

(Also, the only reason to have commercial in a city for me is the skyscrapers, commercial skyscrapers look AMAZING)

all my blocks are uniform.
all relatively the same size.

munroe

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the buses will go through each bus stop as you placed it, I.E if you placed the 1st bus stop top right, then 2nd one bottom left corner then the 3rd one in the middle, the bus would go in that order, top right, bottom left then middle.

So you might be able to try and get the buses to avoid more congested roads by the way you place down your bus stops.

So if I just let myself go bankrupt, one of the options will be to restart that same city area? I think I need to do that, fucking radiation doesn't ever deteriorate.

Top Bottom