• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

It seems like you can't make a self-sufficient city. At some point you're going to have to rely on another city or cities to cover all of your needs.

Anyone in deep so far with the game...can they confirm or deny this?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It seems like you can't make a self-sufficient city. At some point you're going to have to rely on another city or cities to cover all of your needs.

Not "all" your needs, but at some point you'll have to start sharing responsibilities with other cities to keep growing, yes. That's what the game was made for, pretty much :p

munroe

How so? We've already found out that water re-enters the ground via the sewage treatment plant, so that solves the lack of water issue, power can always be generated by solar or wind if you run out of natural resources and you don't want to import from the global market

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me say again for those who might have missed it:

The sewage treatment plant doesn't just get rid of your sewage. It reclaims it, and adds it back into the water table. Notice how the area under the treatment plant is always full of water? Put a pump next to it.

Not "all" your needs, but at some point you'll have to start sharing responsibilities with other cities to keep growing, yes. That's what the game was made for, pretty much :p

Yeah...and for me...that was the fun of the past games. Trying to get things..."perfect" and then losing my mind as things spiral out of control.

I do believe I'll wait for a significant price drop...like...significant.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I have one. All it does is store from what I can tell. Am I using it wrong?

It dumps the water into the ground. Put a pump next to the treatment plant.

Basically the water cycle is:

Pump water from ground, sims use water and turn it into shit, shit gets pumped to treatment plant, treatment plant cleans the shit and turns it into clean water, then puts it back into the water table below it.

Hey Metal, please remove my name from the region map. I ended up cancelling my preorder. Thanks

I'll take his place, if no one else is in line.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I have one. All it does is store from what I can tell. Am I using it wrong?

There's two types of Sewage Treatment plants. One just dumps everything into the ground, the other one treats it.

You MIGHT need a services attachment to your Main Hall for that though, I'm not sure.

VALIS

Yes and no. You can make a self-sufficient city but it would be a smallish one. One that you would constantly build upward rather than outward.

I look at the game like each region is a city and each city is a neighborhood. Then it makes more sense. Not every neighborhood in a city is self-contained, but a whole city is.

Spl1nter

There's two types of Sewage Treatment plants. One just dumps everything into the ground, the other one treats it.

You MIGHT need a services attachment to your Main Hall for that though, I'm not sure.

You need the utilities department for the one which processes the sewage.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Can anybody make sense of this scenario:

FYyeC0I.jpg

I... don't understand it.

Fumoffu

Neo Member

It's the Department of Utilities module. Be careful with Sewage treatment plants though, they can still pollute the ground.

So if I just let myself go bankrupt, one of the options will be to restart that same city area? I think I need to do that, fucking radiation doesn't ever deteriorate.

Anyone? Before I completely screw my city over. I'm keeping it hobbling along, but it just doesn't make sense to continue as it stands.

evilhomer

It always seem to do that when it gets to yellow. You can probably wait a bit to upgrade I think, just take it as a warning that it's getting close.

It dumps the water into the ground. Put a pump next to the treatment plant.

Basically the water cycle is:

Pump water from ground, sims use water and turn it into shit, shit gets pumped to treatment plant, treatment plant cleans the shit and turns it into clean water, then puts it back into the water table below it.

I'll take his place, if no one else is in line.

If you do take his place you may want to talk to fluffy about possibly trading spots if he is still having trouble restarting his abandoned plot. Not sure if he has worked that out yet.

Anyone? Before I completely screw my city over. I'm keeping it hobbling along, but it just doesn't make sense to continue as it stands.

I tried doing exactly this. I bankrupt my city and it gives you the option to start a new city BUT it doesn't seem to work. :( It brings you to region view but only seems to let you select unclaimed cities. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

I tried doing exactly this. I bankrupt my city and it gives you the option to start a new city BUT it doesn't seem to work. :( It brings you to region view but only seems to let you select unclaimed cities. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Well... Fuck. Can you try it again since the patch? Maybe they fixed it?

Home

Hmm I saved up 2 million cash and bulldozed my entire gaf city so I could rebuild it, And now it won't load at all. GG Maxis, GG. :(

Smiley90

Maybe it's because all the sewage needs to get to the plant through ONE road? E.g. The tube that leads to the plant itself isn't big enough. And also because the plant is at the corner of the map, buildings at more distance to it can't drain as well. Utilities are always best placed in the middle of a city.
Can you try make it so that there's another road with access to the plan, so not all sewage is forced through one road?

Similar to the power-issue you had earlier, where an extra road to reduce distance helped, only here it's distance and access.

Wes

venison crêpe
Hmm I saved up 2 million cash and bulldozed my entire gaf city so I could rebuild it, And now it won't load at all. GG Maxis, GG. :(

I did something similiar. Bulldozed everything. Spent an hour rebuilding, found a game breaking bug and quit.

When I loaded back up 15 minutes later, my pre-bulldozed city was back.

Slacker

Same boat here. I'm hoping the actions today fixed the problem so I can play with my GAFriends tonight. Otherwise there's just a city plot with no development whatsoever and a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of debt. :p

SiskoKid

This is correct. My city is growing fairly well. But there's only so much room and my plot of land wasn't very rich in water. I also had a tough time taking care of all my sewage. So I claimed a nearby region and sent it some cash to grow quickly and get some water pumps and sewage plants up and running. Now my city gets both services for a fee, and it works really well. Takes some stress off you so you can focus on building up again.

I actually really like the system because now I can take care of multiple smaller cities that are interdependent rather than one mega city.

RS4-

I sure as hell hope I don't keep the debt I racked up on my first city. :p I don't think you keep it.

I'll try it out when...I can log in. I'll assume you keep the money, the region is reset. Or else you just have to go through the hassle of gifting money back and forth between regions

Smiley90

If I abandon the city, what happens to my money? Do I still keep it?

You need to be bankrupt to abandon a city, so by definition you won't have any money left to keep anyway? The way around this would be to make a 2nd city, gift all the money there, let your first city go bankrupt, abandon&restart in, then send yourself the money back from the 2nd city and abandon that one.

I'll try it out when...I can log in. I'll assume you keep the money, the region is reset. Or else you just have to go through the hassle of gifting money back and forth between regions

I think you're getting regions and cities mixed up... You can't gift money between regions, only between cities.

Pandemic

Are the servers still down, anyone know? I'm about to go pick up my game, but if their down then I guess I won't rush to get it.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Just got booted because the city wasn't "syncing" properly, now it told me to rollback but that ain't working either...

If you get stuck at the checking for updates run simcityrecovery.exe. it will do the downloading updates and processing large files again but it will let you into the game. I only show Europe west 1 and Europe east 1 up

Nevermind all the servers showed up with the north American ones showing busy

trinest

All the American servers are busy or full, but European and Oceanina ones are avaliable.

I wish you could move the cloud save of your city to another server. I want to play with GAF but they picked the American servers instead of the other better ones.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Just got booted because the city wasn't "syncing" properly, now it told me to rollback but that ain't working either...

Servers went down without any notice. Just quit, because nobody can log in at the moment (stuck on "checking for update")

Servers can't handle when the entire US gets home and starts playing. I know this is unacceptable, but I would stay away from the game around this time of the day for a couple days.

So "abandoning" a city doesn't really work. It just lets you select another plot in the region. However, I did click the "delete" option in the main menu for my city. I'll see if that actually did it. I did give Zona about $2 million though before I bailed.

Top Bottom