• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I don't quite understand Stress Testing the servers when nobody can find a key anywhere.

You people getting keys, where did you get them?

mandiller

Can I be added to the Gaffer list?

gaf/origin: mandiller/mandiller_aus

I tried to grab a beta code from Reddit but they're very quick, so I'll see you all in March. Looking forward to this one.

georgc

been downloading and processing large files for over an hour and only at 33% yay looks like ill finish downloading to not be able to play the game.

Think ill give up on getting a beta key for tonigh its 3am heret, I already had one scare with my Ethernet port not working but I managed to fix it so Ill think ill watch a stream.

Metalmurphy if I could reserve the Wessex Bend spot that would be awesome ;)

Have fun for however long you guys have left!

FINALBOSS

Banned
Think ill give up on getting a beta key for tonight, I already had one scare with my ethernet port not working but I managed to fix it so Ill think ill watch a stream

Ya I'm pretty much giving up as well unless a GAFer comes through.

The dudes on Reddit are grabbing keys posted literally 2 seconds after.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I just had a zombie outbreak RAVAGE my population overnight, went from like 20k down to 6k, fml :D

Ghost23

Well I think I am done for the night. This was my first time ever playing a SimCity game, and man was it difficult. My city holds up, but it is nothing to brag about. The cities name is Trial and Error for a reason. :D

Overall, I had a lot of fun! There will be a learning curve, but once I get the hang of it, the game will truly shine. The only problem I was having was my GPU usage. I could not for the life of me get it over 70%. Anyone have a solution?

Well I think I am done for the night. This was my first time ever playing a SimCity game, and man was it difficult. My city holds up, but it is nothing to brag about. The cities name is Trial and Error for a reason. :D

Overall, I had a lot of fun! There will be a learning curve, but once I get the hang of it, the game will truly shine. The only problem I was having was my GPU usage. I could not for the life of me get it over 70%. Anyone have a solution?

Did you try multi-city play (trading between two cities)? That really helps get one of your cities started quick as you can one share resources to speed things up.

Ghost23

Did you try multi-city play (trading between two cities)? That really helps get one of your cities started quick as you can one share resources to speed things up.

Yea, I was playing with Smiley and FearMyWrench. We shared ambulances, but other than that I never really got to mess with it. So many different options that I wanted to try out, but I will just have to wait for the full version to do it.

Yea, I was playing with Smiley and FearMyWrench. We shared ambulances, but other than that I never really got to mess with it. So many different options that I wanted to try out, but I will just have to wait for the full version to do it.

Sharing water/power/sewage/garbage works the best because you don't have to worry about building those in your main city. For power, sewage, and garbage, it also saves a lot of space and eliminates a lot of pollution.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Sharing water/power/sewage/garbage works the best because you don't have to worry about building those in your main city. For power, sewage, and garbage, it also saves a lot of space and eliminates a lot of pollution.

Yeah, once the actual game comes out, I'll have to plan more properly... I'm at 35k, but have a nice little high-tech city with university going on... but I'm struggling with all the utilities :p

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I cant wait to see what everyone's first dumpy, polluted mess of a city will look like. I'm talkin sewage drainage in the middle of the city, 3 coal power plants just to power all the massive oil drilling and refining maybe even an entire row of garbage dumps filled to the brim, burning trash with every available module.

Yeah, once the actual game comes out, I'll have to plan more properly... I'm at 35k, but have a nice little high-tech city with university going on... but I'm struggling with all the utilities :p

Yeah, that's why multi-city trading is so vital. If you set things up right, you can build a city that doesn't have to worry about any utilities. Pretty sweet! And for the city providing everything, you can make a nice chunk of change.

I cant wait to see what everyone's first dumpy, polluted mess of a city will look like. I'm talkin sewage drainage in the middle of the city, 3 coal power plants just to power all the massive oil drilling and refining maybe even an entire row of garbage dumps filled to the brim, burning trash with every available module.

Totally! I love seeing how people build their first cities. Always interesting to me and I've been seeing this for a while now.

LtOrange

I am trying to decide if I should jump on this amazon $20 credit promotion. I have never played a Sim City before but after watching videos and reading this thread I feel an impulse buy coming on.

saunderez

I'm going all out deliberately creating a city that is agonizing to live in. I'm thinking a winding spiral road layout with residential on the outer edge and commercial in the middle. Wanna go to the shops? Have fun with the 4 hour drive suckers!

I'm talkin sewage drainage in the middle of the city, 3 coal power plants just to power all the massive oil drilling and refining maybe even an entire row of garbage dumps filled to the brim, burning trash with every available module.

"It ain't easy bein' greasy" - 50 Cent

I'm having the same problems, but on top of all that, I'm flat broke. I raised taxes and everyone moved out. Couldn't keep up with all the fires/trash/sewage/debt. This is how abandoned cities happen.

Seriously need to work out sharing of services across the region before starting up a server. It's too overwhelming, at least in the beginning, to try and take care of everything on your own.

On a positive note, I didn't see any lag at all. Game played great, I just suck at it.

krpiper

I am trying to decide if I should jump on this amazon $20 credit promotion. I have never played a Sim City before but after watching videos and reading this thread I feel an impulse buy coming on.

I wish they had a digital discount :( I have no need for the discs.

First World Problems I guess

RedWaltz79

Neo Member
I wish they had a digital discount :( I have no need for the discs.

First World Problems I guess

If you use the code: CAGROCKS on Amazon.com, it will give you 25% off the purchase of PC Digital Download games, including SimCity -- that equals $15.00 off. That is almost as good as the $20.00 deal.

Anyone have an extra Beta code? :)

Svafnir

The City's are way too small.... like ridiculously way too small.

That four hour period was fun but with the gigantic constraints on land I don't think I want to buy this game anymore. That's all these hours have showed me.

Meier

Been stuck at "Processing Large File" for 10 minutes. Guess I won't get any time in.

Meh, 20+ minutes now and it just isn't doing shit. Oh well.

The City's are way too small.... like ridiculously way too small.

That four hour period was fun but with the gigantic constraints on land I don't think I want to buy this game anymore. That's all these hours have showed me.

Did you try multi-city play out? When you have multiple cities working together, it's pretty satisfying. Also keep in mind there's a variety of different regions/cities to choose from, so each one offers an unique challenge. So, in essence, it's less about endless, monotonous sprawl, and more about strategically utilizing the space given to make the best (or worst) city possible.

krpiper

If you use the code: CAGROCKS on Amazon.com, it will give you 25% off the purchase of PC Digital Download games, including SimCity -- that equals $15.00 off. That is almost as good as the $20.00 deal.

Anyone have an extra Beta code? :)

Got it! Thanks man.

A little hesitant since I havent gotten on a beta but I am sure its good

Top Bottom