• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

DEO3

I'm so hyped - what a turn around for me from just a couple of months ago!

Getting it into people's hands early was the best thing they could have done. As a long time fan of the series, I wasn't even interested in this reboot until it started getting near universal praise from those who got a chance to play it early, as the game's marketing wasn't doing it any favors up until then.

plenilune

Did you try multi-city play out? When you have multiple cities working together, it's pretty satisfying. Also keep in mind there's a variety of different regions/cities to choose from, so each one offers an unique challenge. So, in essence, it's less about endless, monotonous sprawl, and more about strategically utilizing the space given to make the best (or worst) city possible.

Cities in SC4 were anything but a monotonous sprawl. You had terraforming and larger cities leading to more creative freedom. The static highway connections make things worse. I value creative freedom more than strategic gameplay in these kinds of games (as I'm sure many others do).

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
aaaaand we're done.

I had a SECOND zombie-outbreak, which that time took my city from about 55k down to 12k.... game just didn't want my city to get big :p Had some nice tech-income going towards the end (was making 200k a month from Tech alone), but was having MAJOR waste/garbage/sewage problems... lol. When we do regions we should def. specialize... e.g. only one person needs to build a university, etc. :p

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Hmmm, I didn't do that well.
Got saddled with some monster deficits early on and probably should have abandoned my city but I stuck with it :lol.

EDIT: Same here re: waste problems (especially sewage).

Smiley90

Also, traffic, ohgod the traffic. I did NOT plan that out well in advance LOL.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Really glad I got to play for the little amount of time I did.

I absolutely loved it--the game is a real looker too. Ran absolutely perfect on my machine in 1080p with everything maxed and ultra (where you could).

Really looking forward to this.

LtOrange

If you use the code: CAGROCKS on Amazon.com, it will give you 25% off the purchase of PC Digital Download games, including SimCity -- that equals $15.00 off. That is almost as good as the $20.00 deal.

Anyone have an extra Beta code? :)

Thank you! This deal is on par with the $20 w/ tax and I get it day 1.

Fixed1979

So now we just need to wait for next Tuesday? Well that's no good...

EDIT: I still do kind of wish that I could grid things out better. It's really hard to tell how much space I need to leave for buildings and I ended up with a few spots where I could only fit one row of buildings between streets.

aaaaand we're done.

I had a SECOND zombie-outbreak, which that time took my city from about 55k down to 12k.... game just didn't want my city to get big :p Had some nice tech-income going towards the end (was making 200k a month from Tech alone), but was having MAJOR waste/garbage/sewage problems... lol. When we do regions we should def. specialize... e.g. only one person needs to build a university, etc. :p

Wow -- TWO zombie outbreaks? That's hilarious.

Really glad I got to play for the little amount of time I did.

I absolutely loved it--the game is a real looker too. Ran absolutely perfect on my machine in 1080p with everything maxed and ultra (where you could).

Really looking forward to this.

Did you mess around with any of the image filters? Some of them look super snazzy.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That was neat. I tried out a "one road only" city, and it got up to 120k sims before I got bored of not being able to build anything else.

i2bFpl5.jpg

EDIT: Same here re: waste problems (especially sewage).

I built a lot of waste treatment, were you buying any from me?

BearPawB

Banned
The City's are way too small.... like ridiculously way too small.

That four hour period was fun but with the gigantic constraints on land I don't think I want to buy this game anymore. That's all these hours have showed me.

Then you weren't making the most out if your land. The game is all about economy of space and industry. Just plopping things down without letting things develop can really hurt you.

I get what you are saying. We all miss big cities where you could do anything. But I think this is a much more inherently strategic game.

Add in multi city play, and it should be very fulfilling

Ballistik

Even 4 hours wasn't enough time haha. On a sadder note, I ordered the physical copy off Amazon, and it warns me that my delivery address does not allow for release day delivery. Makes NO sense since I've ordered multiple games in the past and received them on release day. Looks like I am not playing on Tuesday.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What I really needed for my "one road city" were "breaks" in the avenue that would allow cars to U-turn in more areas. I wasn't able to get that without adding traffic light intersections, which would cause jams.

I was able to get one, somehow, but I think that was due to a bug in the roads.

I'm going to have a big problem on Tuesday. I'm getting both this and MLB 13 The Show.

Guess I could play MLB while waiting for my city to grow a bit. lol

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
That was neat. I tried out a "one road only" city, and it got up to 120k sims before I got bored of not being able to build anything else.

I built a lot of waste treatment, were you buying any from me?

Yes but it kept switching from buying some from you to me being in the red/backed up pipes. It wasn't consistent at all :(. The sims have a long memory when it comes to poop spilling out of their toilets :lol.

FINALBOSS

Banned
I did notice a bug while I was playing--did anyone else get this?

Like 3 buildings in a city I was viewing (during the tutorial) were flickering like crazy.

Ballistik

So um, I'm pretty good at this game. I feel bad for the poor people in my region which had to deal with my crime. :p

Haha wow. I actually visited your city in the beginning and it looked pretty safe.

I did notice a bug while I was playing--did anyone else get this?

Like 3 buildings in a city I was viewing (during the tutorial) were flickering like crazy.
I saw this too. I also saw grass growing over some of my streets, and from a specific angle, some pieces of roads would disappear.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yes but it kept switching from buying some from you to me being in the red/backed up pipes. It wasn't consistent at all :(. The sims have a long memory when it comes to poop spilling out of their toilets :lol.

Hm, odd.

I had a "shitload" of waste treatment.

The utility sharing did seem a bit wonky. I did get your garbage trucks, though, but in the end it wasn't enough after I passed 100k people, so I just built one of my own.

Smiley90

I think the biggest thing all of us are gonna have to get used to is that it's NOT POSSIBLE to have a "jack of all trades" city AND have high population. It's simply not possible. You don't have the space for properly managing ALL utilities yourself AND building a city that's able to compete economically. You WILL have to pick your parts that you'll play in the region. E.g. one of the 4 cities in the "mini-region" will go for Science/High-Tech and provide education for everyone, one person will go for police/gambling and will provide police for everyone, another person goes for oil/mining/garbage and provides that, etcetc. If everyone tries to do everything by yourself, you'll run out of either money or space.

Here's a little album with pics I took:

http://imgur.com/a/uEWBl#0

Mogwai

Despite my mixed feelings about collector's editions, I now got the LE Steelbook thingy ordered. The beta was as good as I had imagined the game to be.

Now, I just hope that there will be some options to change the language. I couldn't wasn't able to change the language to English. And just like any other game, the Danish translations are totally ridiculous.

Xane

Not sure if anyone mentioned this topic it yet, but.. my biggest fear are hackers.
All the Betas were pretty easy to hack so far. Values like money are very easy to manipulate, just hope the real deal will be server-side and not client-side, else I can see the global achievements and challenges to lose its meaningfulness.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Not sure if anyone mentioned this topic it yet, but.. my biggest fear are hackers.
All the Betas were pretty easy to hack so far. Values like money are very easy to manipulate, just hope the real deal will be server-side and not client-side, else I can see the global achievements and challenges to lose its meaningfulness.

A dev addressed the money hack that popped up on youtube and said that if someone does that, they get disqualified from the leaderboards or something, since the server checks to see that your actions are valid.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Here it is:

http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/18owu0/so_did_you_see_the_new_cheat_someone_pulled/
This actually won't work online--we can't stop you from cheating locally, but we can tell if you're cheating on the server (buying things you shouldn't be able to afford, etc).

So don't worry about it breaking the global market; it'll break the cheater's save game.

he server validates all the actions you take before committing them to the cloud save. Once it attempts to perform an action that's at odds with what is possible in the current server-side game state, it'll drop those offending actions. I'm not sure if at this point, we simply mark the box as broken and you lose your save for that city, or we only commit the actions that are valid given the game state. I hope it's the latter because then people using trainers will reload their city to find themselves deeply in the red, which would be poetic justice :p
Basically the city get marked as broken and you can either revert to the last good state or abandon it. Either way, nothing good comes from changing the values in memory. :)

You're still thinking too specifically and locally. We aren't implementing some sort of per-case anti-cheat mechanism; the server tracks your entire game, i.e. all your actions are mirrored to the server and validated against the game rules and the server's version of your current state. You can change your local memory contents all you want to trick the game state locally, but that doesn't matter because once the actions you take based on the changed state get sent back to the server for committal, they will be invalidated due to mismatching with server's tracking of the game state.

Thanks to Glassbox, SimCity's game mechanics are implemented entirely through rules. In order to effectively cheat, you would need to change the entire rule-set the server is using for your box. At that point, you'd have crossed into criminal territory :p

If you want to cheat, there's always the sandbox mode.

I'm having problems connecting to the MySQL database, so registration on the website I'm making won't be immediate. That'll probably mean multiple people registering on the same city, the solution is to register on several cities in order of preference and I'll assign them as first come first serve. Is that ok?

Ghost23

The problem in my city was money. I never had enough money to buy anything unless I sat there for a couple sim hours. It got frustrating every time I couldn't do anything because I had to just sit there a watch my Sims suffer!

Definity

I loved the time I got to spend with the game last night but that region wall needs some serious work. Is there an option to make it bigger? What about notifications when someone chats? The other issue that drives me crazy is seeing the ground clip through roads when zoomed out at a certain distance. You zoom in and it's gone but it is still an eye sore.

I was amazed at how much depth I could already see in the game given the city tile and only a few hours played. Going to be fun!

The problem in my city was money. I never had enough money to buy anything unless I sat there for a couple sim hours. It got frustrating every time I couldn't do anything because I had to just sit there a watch my Sims suffer!

Loans, my friend! Loans. Take advantage of them. ;)

Mazdarati

Neo Member

For me, the challenge is perfecting/designing the road layout prior to zoning anything. Problem is that it costs a lot to "play around" designing that crucial groundwork. Considering that space is a premium in these cities, laying an efficient road system that is both esthetically pleasing and functional is extremely challenging with the limited funds at the beginning of the game.

These next couple days of waiting are torturous.

Soi-Fong

You guys think the Digital Deluxe edition is worth it to get in Origin or should I just go for Amazon and get the 25 percent off with the code?

Top Bottom