• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

I didn't feel that beta at all really, everything seemed too small and too easy and micro transactions ingrained into the game is a serious turn off for me with any game. Got it pre ordered though for cheap so will have to give it a proper chance. :p

Just re quoting for new page.

Personally, I don't think the money is worth the 3 different skins and 1 park that you get, unless you are into aesthetics. While I was playing, I never really had a chance to zoom in and look at my city. Most of the time I was zoomed out, trying to put out fires. However, if you want to see double decker buses driving on the wrong side of the road, or build the Eiffel tower, then by all means.

Also, considering this is EA, there will be no shortage of DLC for you to buy soon enough.

I didn't feel that beta at all really, everything seemed too small and too easy and micro transactions ingrained into the game is a serious turn off for me with any game. Got it pre ordered though for cheap so will have to give it a proper chance. :p

I've come to terms with the size but I hope it was only easy due to tweaks made in the beta due to the limited time. I'd hate to see it be mindlessly easy.

Soi-Fong

Personally, I don't think the money is worth the 3 different skins and 1 park that you get, unless you are into aesthetics. While I was playing, I never really had a chance to zoom in and look at my city. Most of the time I was zoomed out, trying to put out fires. However, if you want to see double decker buses driving on the wrong side of the road, or build the Eiffel tower, then by all means.

Also, considering this is EA, there will be no shortage of DLC for you to buy soon enough.

Alright. Thanks for the input. I'll just go with Amazon and save the 45 or so dollars.

Edit: Dang hard to beat that price. 45 bucks.. Not bad.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Alright. Thanks for the input. I'll just go with Amazon and save the 45 or so dollars.

This deal still isn't working for me...can you only use the code once with your Amazon account? I'm ready to jump on this at that price.

EDIT - One use per customer. I think I used it to get a buck or two off some cheap game, what a waste. :(

Soi-Fong

This deal still isn't working for me...can you only use the code once with your Amazon account? I'm ready to jump on this at that price.

EDIT - One use per customer. I think I used it to get a buck or two off some cheap game, what a waste. :(

Yeah. It was a one use thing. I bought the digital limited edition since it added too much for shipping.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Edit: Dang hard to beat that price. 45 bucks.. Not bad.

Will I go to jail if I sign up for a new Amazon account to take advantage of the deal? I really want this game but if I can save $15 it would be worth it.

You could go with the physical copy and get $20 credit. You'll just be launching it from Origin anyway.

I'm going to have a big problem on Tuesday. I'm getting both this and MLB 13 The Show.

Guess I could play MLB while waiting for my city to grow a bit. lol

Haha, you and me both. I have the PS3 and Vita versions of The Show coming.

Also I cancelled my physical pre-order and decided to switch to the digital version on Amazon with the $15 off code. I'd rather save the $15 now than pay full price for the physical just to get an extra $5 in rewards.

Are co op regions persistent among multiple play sessions? What happens if you are online growing your city and someone has to log off? What happens if a player on your region never comes back?

chiablo

You guys think the Digital Deluxe edition is worth it to get in Origin or should I just go for Amazon and get the 25 percent off with the code?

Apparently, the extras from the deluxe edition are available as a separate purchase in their in-game DLC marketplace store thing. I'm assuming they'll be $15 or $20, which will make the current deal break even.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Are co op regions persistent among multiple play sessions? What happens if you are online growing your city and someone has to log off? What happens if a player on your region never comes back?

A city will be in the state that it is when the player logged off, and will function on its own, but not progress at all since there's no one playing it.

I guess you could think of it like in SimCity 4, where you work on multiple cities in a region. Even though you aren't "playing" the other cities, they still influence the city in which you are currently active.

There are ways to kick players from regions and deal with abandoned cities, IIRC.

chiablo

I really want to get this, but my laptop probably won't be able to handle it at all.

Worst dilemma ever.

I have an ancient Q6600 CPU and a fairly old GPU card, and the game ran fantastically. I was expecting the game to eat my machine alive, but I was impressed with how well it ran.

Megasoum

Banned
Everytime I see the little origin icon in the top right corner of the screen ingame I always think it's the Montréal's Expos logo lol.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Next stream starts in twenty minutes, get ready ( I won't be there today, but leaving it in the capable hands of a member of the Dev team). I'll be back on tomorrow tho :)

Stoof

Is there a way to make your city area bigger, or will someone be able to make a mod to do that in the future? Really looking forward to this game :D

Apparently, the extras from the deluxe edition are available as a separate purchase in their in-game DLC marketplace store thing. I'm assuming they'll be $15 or $20, which will make the current deal break even.

Here it is, $20

Me, I bought the physical copy from Amazon to get the $20 Amazon credit, since that's the cheapest you can buy the game for.

Here it is, $20

Me, I bought the physical copy from Amazon to get the $20 Amazon credit, since that's the cheapest you can buy the game for.

Amazon has the best price that I've seen on the physical and digital versions. Physical has the $20 credit or you can use the promo code CAGROCKS and get $15 off the digital download bringing it down to $44.99. Either way you can't go wrong.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The OCD in me just can't accept the idea of curved/crooked roads lol.

You'll want to use them eventually... even the most hardcore of min/maxers haven't fought off the temptation to round off the edges of their city
KuGsj.gif

Raide

Any chance of them adding the option to quick click an icon and get an overhead view? Might make lining up roads a little easier.

Is this true? If so I would preorder now. Can someone confirm this?

From Wikipedia:

On 19 November 2012, a graphics engineer at Maxis using the name "MaxisSixAM" commented on the SimCity.com forum confirming that while a purchase of SimCity through the Origin platform will entitle access to a Mac version of the game, there was currently no indication of a Mac release date and that Mac users may be unable to play the game until a later date.

I haven't seen anything else confirming this though so I'd hold off on a pre order for now.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is this true? If so I would preorder now. Can someone confirm this?

You probably can, since your Origin account is the same on both platforms.

Also:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9117532.page#25892051

I don't think our policy on this has changed (emphasis mine):
Purchasing either the Standard Edition, Limited Edition or Digital Deluxe Edition on Origin will entitle users to both the PC and Mac versions of the game.

Note: I don't know if purchases from other retailers/distributors will work the same way. Similarly, while pre-ordering the game on Origin entitles you to both platforms, we currently have no information on a Mac release date so Mac purchasers may not be able to play the game until a later date.

Also:

http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/18vkna/good_news_to_mac_and_pc_users/

I've contacted the Origin Support today (was really quick, actually!) and asked them a question. So, what I found out, that yes, it's official that if you buy the PC SimCity, you can play it on Mac too. The product is the same, and is not considered as a separate purchase. Couldn't supply a pic, though, sorry. But, it's confirmed :)... LET'S PARTY!!!

However:

https://twitter.com/AskEASupport/status/303946836589301761

The PC version and the Mac version are completely separate purchases. ^EX

So, I dunno who's right here.

It's EA... I wouldn't be surprised if they were separate purchases... just like Black Ops 2 for Mac.

Black Ops 2 isn't on Mac and it isn't from EA. The one game I do have on origin that has a Mac counterpart, The Sims 3, is available in the "My Games" section of origin so I assume the same will be true for Sim City.

chiablo

Black Ops 2 isn't on Mac and it isn't from EA. The one game I do have on origin that has a Mac counterpart, The Sims 3, is available in the "My Games" section of origin so I assume the same will be true for Sim City.

Sorry... Black Ops 1 released a Mac version: http://store.steampowered.com/app/214630/

I remember there being quite a bit of backlash because they are charging full price for a year-old game and it's a separate purchase.

EA and Activision are on par when it comes to being money grubbing bastards.

Top Bottom