• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

They said they are planning to, but who knows.

As it stands now, yes it is most definitely too small. What it does is forces you to just constantly start new cities as you quickly max out your current city (yes, quickly, it really doesn't take that long if you plan properly).

It is becoming an annoyance, but sadly because of all the other issues this is probably near the bottom on Maxis' list of priorities.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I've been here for ages, and all the city is covered. I've already started working on the first great work.

Mhmm... are your school buses constantly stuck in traffic and can't take your students to the schools? Check your population tab, check how many of your people actually go to school? Or if you have a massive influx of students from other regions taking away all the space or sth.

I was thinking of recreating our vw3 region on east 3 or 4 server.
Na east 1 still fairly difficult to get into

I would say do it. It's a great backup server if US East 1 never comes back and it also gives us a chance to start over.

Last night, I spent the two hours online and $50,000 rehabilitating the ground pollution I caused when I bulldozed my city. Not a great use of my time, but I was showering and making/eating dinner during that time. It took two hours and hundreds of dead trees to completely clean a polluted area. However, one of the two oil regions is gone and is never coming back. That's surprisingly because I've only played for like two hours or so. Resources disappear extremely quickly for something so integral.

How the hell do you get educated workers?

I have 2 grade schools, a high school a community college and an university and all my factories still close because they don't have educated workers.

lol I was having this problem earlier in my city, and eventually (like, 3 hours after I had an elementary school, high school, community college, and university) they shut the fuck up and then started to complain "we don't have enough room to ship our freight!" despite there being tons of empty space in my trade depot. I got so pissed off that I bulldozed about half of the industry businesses, community college, and university, then de-zoned the area.

Suddenly my Fuel isn't being exported from my trade depot. It's full and it's killing my economy. I have no idea why. It's set to export and the supply depot has plenty of trucks. It just stopped being trade out of the blue.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I've had some buildings close because they had no place to send their freight. But I have 2 depots with enough freight storage, and I have enough commercial zones I think. Any idea?

Smiley90

Suddenly my Fuel isn't being exported from my trade depot. It's full and it's killing my economy. I have no idea why. It's set to export and the supply depot has plenty of trucks. It just stopped being trade out of the blue.

I'm not exporting nearly as much as I could, because my city is a complete traffic disaster. It sucks, because I need to export more to be able to allow the trade port to export fuel via train/ship instead of cars, which would get me SO much more money. But I just can't make traffic disappear GAH.

I'm getting 15k of workers as influx :lol. More than I even have residents... need to rezone some industrial to residential I suppose :( 27k jobs, 11k residents :lol

I've had some buildings close because they had no place to send their freight. But I have 2 depots with enough freight storage, and I have enough commercial zones I think. Any idea?

Trade Depots can't actually export freight, they can only store it. Only Trade Ports (and the airports) can export freight, AFAIK

I'm not exporting nearly as much as I could, because my city is a complete traffic disaster. It sucks, because I need to export more to be able to allow the trade port to export fuel via train/ship instead of cars, which would get me SO much more money. But I just can't make traffic disappear GAH.

I'm getting 15k of workers as influx :lol. More than I even have residents... need to rezone some industrial to residential I suppose :( 27k jobs, 11k residents :lol

That's what it is. The traffic coming into my city is backed up for miles and miles. Ugh.

Smiley90

That's what it is. The traffic coming into my city is backed up for miles and miles. Ugh.

There you go. If you find a solution, tell me, because I'm losing it too :lol. All my depots are constantly full and I can't export :( SOMEONE in the region GAFtopia PLEASE build a Petrolium HQ... DEAR GOD PLEASE. I'd be eternally thankful. I need those trade port oil exports :'(

Think I'll start a new region on North America East 4 if anyone's interested. It shall be called "Spring Forward GAF"

EDIT: BadKeyMachine on Origin if you need an invite.

Gnub

Baldy Moore:
Spark_2013-03-09_17-13-05.png

Spark_2013-03-09_17-13-35.png

Spark_2013-03-09_17-14-36.png

suedester

Banned
I think it broke traffic. I was not having this big of a problem last night and now my whole city is just a huge traffic jam. It's all slowly burning down, trash is everywhere, and criminals are on the loose!

Are you sure they haven't actually just fixed regional interactions? I'm now seeing far more tourists and commuting which is impacting traffic.

Forsete

Bros..

My large city (around 120k people) is having massive water shortages. The pumping station I built for the city is running dry, and the few water "hotspots" that are left are under my glorious highrise buildings.

So my smaller city has built these massive water pumps in order to supply the big city. The big city is buying the water but there are areas of the city which still dont get any.

What gives? Advice before my metropoils starts crashing down. :p

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Bros..

My large city (around 120k people) is having massive water shortages. The pumping station I built for the city is running dry, and the few water "hotspots" that are left are under my glorious highrise buildings.

So my smaller city has built these massive water pumps in order to supply the big city. The big city is buying the water but there are areas of the city which still dont get any.

Beg your neighbor to build more water, buy it from him.

If no neighbor, BUILD WATER CITY.

Here's the problem with so many servers...I can't remember which one I was on yesterday. Was it East 3 or West 3...or was it a 4.

JWong

Banned
Bros..

Someone told me sewage treament dumps water out, so you should build your water pump beside it.

I think it has been working for me.

Philia

Bros..

IIRC, high rises suck up water than any decent size town. That's how it was in SC4.

CAW

I decided to create another city in the region I'm playing on, and tried to buy power, sewage and water services from my other city (which has over 90k residents). The option to buy is there, and I can click buy, but when I go back into my new city no power is flowing and it doesn't show as an expensive via the city budget window. Am I missing something?

Forsete

Beg your neighbor to build more water, buy it from him.

If no neighbor, BUILD WATER CITY.

I already built a service city, but it has not solved the problem. Service city produces ~290k liters per hour or whatever the measurement is. The large city is buying around 170k liters, it should be enough but the water does not reach all the buildings.

Someone told me sewage treament dumps water out, so you should build your water pump beside it.

I think it has been working for me.

I already demolished my sewage treatment facility, the service city is taking care of the sewage for me. I needed the space which it was occupying.
Thanks Maxis, for giving us these large areas to build on. Now I cant build everything I want. Bastards.

Bros..

I was having the same problem, so I crashed it down.

spark_2013-03-09_22-0xujmb.png

spark_2013-03-09_22-1i7j5q.png

Jhriad

How much money do you make per police car you send to a neighboring city? Is there anywhere that lists out what you make from sending various services to other cities?

NA East 1 "available"

clicks play & upon reaching the main menu in game

"Unable to connect to the SimCity servers. Please try again"

:|

I just want to play my VW3 city i spent 5 hours on last night... grrrrr

@Herpes: if you ever create another VW3 on a diff server, let us know plz! :) NA E1 seems to always have issues

Raide

Oh gawd I am addicted. When the game has no sever issues, it is great fun and highly engrossing. I wonder if all those sites and magazines that market it lower will re-review it again? Probably not.

OK, can anyone explain how the recycling works. I have a well educated Uni city with all manner of bits in it. So I plot down the recycling plant and it sits doing nothing. Am I missing something basic?

Gnub

How much money do you make per police car you send to a neighboring city? Is there anywhere that lists out what you make from sending various services to other cities?

It should tell you in the budget panel on the right side. Under "Recent Transactions".

How do I stop embezzlement?

Also how do I make sure my metal goes to the arcology? Do I select explore at the trade center or something else?

I was getting a whopping $0 on mine for some reason. I even had helicopters on patrol.

Zafir

Why exports don't count towards your hourly income I do not know. I've got -5k on my city, and I'm raking money in, just because all of it is from exporting.
How do I stop embezzlement?

Also how do I make sure my metal goes to the arcology? Do I select explore at the trade center or something else?
Set it to local use I would have thought.

Row

Banned
For such a little city mine is giving me a shitload of trouble. Buildings being abandoned everywhere for tons of reasons (fires, lack of shoppers, crime, health) despite lots of things in place to address the issues like a large police and fire station, tons of clinics, etc.

Despite having a pumping station with tons of excess water, water is a supposed problem too. I don't make much money as a commuter city with light tourism, so to diversify I needed to raise taxes to fund it...which meant even more abandoned buildings. Population has fluctuated between a high of 130k to 90k. A recent city I built close by as a heavy industrial hub is making good money, but not enough people are commuting from the bigger city and this city seems to be bringing tons of crime to it.

NA East 1 "available"

clicks play & upon reaching the main menu in game

"Unable to connect to the SimCity servers. Please try again"

:|

I just want to play my VW3 city i spent 5 hours on last night... grrrrr

@Herpes: if you ever create another VW3 on a diff server, let us know plz! :) NA E1 seems to always have issues

yeah, im having trouble logging into NA EAST 1. this is bullshit.
im taking the liberty and creating a new Viridian Woods 3 on NA EAST 4.
i'll message everyone on origin or here.
please choose the same city you were at. :)

OchreHand

Some shots of a section of my city.. i think there was a glitch while I was creating roads which resulted in some steep hills. was fun watching my towns people drive on them, or even brave the climb on foot.

Viridian Woods 3
Region name: GAF World
Creator: viakado
server: NA EAST 4
invite only

Territory - GAF - Origin

Bamberg Basin - MKAllDay - MKAllDay
Burghausen Hills - MrCompletely - Dronehouse
Figaro Forest - DEO3 - DEOThree
Gaugin Valley - Phreaker - Phreakerz
Giovanni Woods - B-Dex - BDex84
Hohenburg Shores - Hambone - xHambone
Lancaster Pointe - mavs - hrekka
Matisse Plains - Rad- - Joninder
Monet Plateau - Gaming Truth - Ccl97* (is this supposed to be lccl97?)
Rousseau Flats - ostinatto - forsakenwins
Straussburg Isles - Dork Knight - Maxis_MD
Tosca Cliffs - TheGreyHulk - achilles_steel
Traviata Knoll - Spookie - tehspookeh
Tudor Isle - Herpes Reasons - viakado
Wessex Bend - fugimax - fugimax
Yorkshire Cliffs - Faceache - andred78

once you log on NA EAST 4, i'll be able to send invite

My recycling center is full up on recyclables, what do I do with them? I'm also trying to reclaim plastic, metal and alloys (partly to make processors) but those aren't going up.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Ugh, I have a massive traffic jam because school busses are unable to get in or out of my high school.

EDIT: Which I solved by closing it down for a bit. At least I didn't have to bulldozer it.

EDIT EDIT: And opening the school causes another traffic jam. FFFFFFFF

Sinistral

Does land value correspond to the Wealth of the citizens or just the size of the buildings that will build in that area?

Dumb question but... I'm trying to get High Density Low Wealth workers.

I scrap parks to push the land value to white hoping to attract low wealth workers, thinking, if there's enough, they'll fill up the Density and build bigger buildings. But that doesn't seem to happen.

Is it ultimately the best route to get the whole city to High Land Value and let it sort itself out?

Edit: High Density roads are laid down already.

Mii

Banned
Something major just changed in how traffic works I think. I was having such ridiculous traffic coming to and from the freeway, I'm the largest city by population in the region. The freeway entrance had become a significant bottleneck in the freeway itself. I had to go so far as snaking an avenue with no exits around the northern top of my city to offload the people waiting in a better point than in my downtown area. The avenue acted as a buffer to keep the masses commuting out of the town off the rest of my streets. Suddenly it all disappeared. The number leaving hasn't changed but the freeway entrance takes more cars now. Bizarre.

Top Bottom