• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

izt_is

Banned
Guys help me here. I finally got the game started.

When I click on my sims, they seem to speak some other language that is NOT ENGLISH.

Is this normal? As far as I'm aware, I'm from Singapore, and all our games are in English!

The text and everything is in English, but then the sims speak....it's like they're mumbling like a baby.

I did detect some german though.

Any thoughts/help?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™

When I click on my sims, they seem to speak some other language that is NOT ENGLISH.

Is this normal? As far as I'm aware, I'm from Singapore, and all our games are in English!

The text and everything is in English, but then the sims speak....it's like they're mumbling like a baby.

Any thoughts/help?

Hum.... no one speaks english in a Sims game...

Any thoughts/help?

Is a fake language Maxis invented for TheSims, is called Simlish. :D

Ghost23

Any thoughts/help?

lol

izt_is

Banned
alright. That's my bad. Feel like an idiot now.

Thanks Guys!

Wonder why they didn't just put english, it would up the immersion

Rubius

Any thoughts/help?

The language is called Simlish. Its a language made by Maxis, by mixing a bunch of stuff. Its made so that everybody can kinda feel like they talk there language, while making it that they dont need different voice actor for all the languages.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simlish

Here Hot and Cold from Katty Perry in Simlish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_F1Y5isqiA

Anson225

- Check you have plenty of delivery trucks at the recycling plant (the one limited to 4)
- Check the processor factories have the "allow local deliveries option"
- Check the processor factories are shipping their processors to the trade depot
- Check the trade depot is receiving the processors, and that the Global Market is set to export them

thanks, still doesn't work
1. check
2. check
3. this is the problem, i don't see any trucks delivering to anywhere. they simply don't exist on the map
4. its set to export, but because of 3, the lots are empty

and i tried another thing - shutting down the processor factory, so all metal/alloy/plastic should go directly from plant to depot. BUT still, nothing is being delivered to the depot and thus i'm earning nothing. really hurting my economy... what's going on?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
SimCity &#8207;@simcity
We&#8217;ve added another server called Antarctica 1! It is showing as &#8220;?????&#8221; in the launcher - server select - but we will fix that today.

If the server names are not supposed to indicate where they're from, what's the point? Or is this really a server in Antarctica

edit: actually, isn't it super cheap to run servers in the Antarctica because there's no cooling needed? Only Latency suffers a bit?

If the server names are not supposed to indicate where they're from, what's the point? Or is this really a server in Antarctica

edit: actually, isn't it super cheap to run servers in the Antarctica because there's no cooling needed? Only Latency suffers a bit?
Microsoft has been trying to buy property in Antarctica for years just so they can do this.

Terra

Finally got the game :D

seems like most of the server problems have been worked out by now just like I predicted?

EA-poster alert!

;) Just kidding...yeah, I guess the problems should be ironed out soon. But it's a disgrace that they even existed. I remember the problems with D3 persisted for about 3 weeks.

Jedi2016

Still not having the option to reset your city is garbage.
I just said "fuck it" and deleted all of my regions. I'm moving to a different server, see if that clears up my inter-city issues.

I would definitely like the idea to "reset" a single city, though, to be able to start from scratch. Especially in cases a few have mentioned where a city gets irradiated through something completely out of the player's control, like a disaster, and then that city is effectively unusable forever.

and how do i fight germs?

Reduce pollution by removing polluting buildings and/or planting trees (parks->nature->plant trees option requires you to scroll the selection all the way to the right). Trees are like disposable pollution sponges. They die off as they absorb pollution, so you'll have to keep replanting. Leaving space for trees around your biggest sources of pollution is a good idea.

I don't know if the permanent trees (like the "row of trees") have the same effect.

Acorn

I think Iceland or Greenland had a huge server farm business for this very reason.

cripterion

I might be stupid but didn't see how can someone go into creating a special type of architecture. How can this be done? I have the deluxe edition and the only thing I manage to create was french police station.

SimCity-French-City-Set.png

Btw, any space left on a GAF controlled region? Ready to start a brand new city.

I might be stupid but didn't see how can someone go into creating a special type of architecture. How can this be done? I have the deluxe edition and the only thing I manage to create was french police station.

SimCity-French-City-Set.png

You have to place the landmark for the city set you want your buildings to start evolving to. Which is expensive - the German one costs 550,000.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Picked this up even with all the bullshit server problems, really fun when everything is working.

I hope the cities can be larger in the future, it's the only really disappointing thing game play wise I've encountered so far, besides bugs and servers.

Brick

So is this game working now? I was holding off on picking it up until they got their act together and I saw something about them adding a bunch of servers.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Did you have to register a new account? The reddit thread mentions something about a new account.

EA doesn't take Regions in account when we're talking about Origin, so whatever Origin store you access, you can buy from them on your account.

They don't even care about your billing address.

Unless your account gets hacked for FIFA points and Microsoft notifies EA about it. Then it's forever in a state of "Fraud Suspicion", which means you can't ever pay for anything on whatever region you try, which is what's happening for me for at least one year now.

And support can't help me ever.

Ghost23

I have a university, but my high-tech industry says they need college graduates NOW. My city is super educated. What is the problem here?

Septimius

How is the server status? Do you have to wait a lot or can't get in? How frequent are things like lost cities, roll backs and other game breaking bugs?

Been really interested in this game, been staying away for it these last days, and now I'm trying to weight the pros against the cons of supporting this game. I love the Sim City franchise, but I'm not clear on how much simplified this game has become. I also don't like the bullshit EA has been trying to feed us.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Finally got the game :D

seems like most of the server problems have been worked out by now just like I predicted?

I was having server issues late last night. Troubles connecting to my game, then a few cases of losing connection to the server in game, then ultimately being unable to play because it wouldn't load my city. It's not as bad as launch in the sense that you can play most of the time, but anything below 99% of the time is unacceptable.

Fun game, though.

CookTrain

I imagine EA won't give a second hoot about people "gaming the system" by purchasing through Indian Origin... that's suddenly however many people who were staunchly against it thinking they've got one over on EA and giving them money.

They'll close the loophole as a formality at some point, but they're probably pretty chuffed that this has come to light.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I have a university, but my high-tech industry says they need college graduates NOW. My city is super educated. What is the problem here?

A university only allows you to do research. Unless i'm mistaken, it doesn't really provide a work force to the city.

That's what the (community) college does. Protip: Put the community college near industrial areas, it'll increase the tech level of nearby industries.

Raven77

Anyone have any tips on growing my population?

I'm playing in a region with some friends and my city is focusing on tourism and housing / education to send workers to their cities.

Problem is that i'm topped out at 36k citizens and it wont grow, even though the housing is being upgraded to giant apt. complexes.

Happiness is high, waste management is good, health, safety, everything.

Top Bottom