• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Damn, thanks so much for the India link, I was close to pulling the trigger at $59. Insane.

It was so cheap I was considering the Deluxe edition but said screw it, 20 seems like a lot although from what I've read the features sound pretty cool.

I'm installing as we speak, the only downer is that I had to install Origin :(. I tried to avoid this as long as I could.

Discovery Delta 2 is almost full but we're still missing a few people. Going by neogaf names
EvB
Relix
Mr. Completely

Any of you guys decide not to get the game? If so I'd like to turn the slots over to other people.

munroe

Except its indicating I have cities on servers that I haven't been on to build a city on,

The servers that you haven't built a city on, have you done the tutorial, if so, guessing it might be that, as from what I remember, the loading of the tutorial is what registers you on a server.

Also has anyone made Discovery Delta 3? Got my own private region but fancy playing in a had region now

SaberVulcan

Whelp I am losing another city due to traffic.

24/7 gridlock. Ambulances, fire trucks, garbage trucks, etc. all cant do their jobs. Losing money, have to raise taxes. People move out cause of taxes/fire/crime/death. Population keeps growing.

TIME FOR GIANT LIZARD

Edit: In response to Raven, my population had spikes when I built new Education and Commuting buildings. Like, dramatically.

Raven77

Seriously, any tips for increasing population?

I can't get past 35-40k

Everyone is super green happy, I have everything a city needs, the only demand is industrial (which im doing in another city).

Land value is a good mix of medium to high.

Yet my population won't grow...

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol, my city is stagnate

OchreHand

I seem to always run in water problems with my cities when I reach a population over 200,000. It's tough when I've zoned a chunk of industrial and I can't place a water pump near them because the ground is polluted. I placed a water pump with a filtration pump on polluted ground but it just ended up poisoning my city...eek

I can't get past 35-40k

Everyone is super green happy, I have everything a city needs, the only demand is industrial (which im doing in another city).

Try adding a university with a dorm. My population exploded after that. My buildings started to look nicer, too! I think education has a big positive effect in simcity.

Septimius

Discovery Delta 2 is almost full but we're still missing a few people. Going by neogaf names
EvB
Relix
Mr. Completely

Any of you guys decide not to get the game? If so I'd like to turn the slots over to other people.

I'd love to be part of a NeoGAF region. Is this the right place to sign up? Gonna check for a community thread. The India purchase worked like a charm. Downloading now.

Vitor711

Used my existing account and played with.

Worked buying from India.

I can confirm that this still works - £18 for me from the UK, downloading now.

For anyone having issues or worried that it's complicated, just log into the Indian Origin page using your normal Origin e-mail address and password and enter your details as per normal (actual address and credit card details), you only have to change the country you live in to 'India' for it to work. That's it. Other than that, it's identical to using the normal origin store.

I can't get past 35-40k

Yet my population won't grow...

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol, my city is stagnate

Did you upgrade the roads?

Seems like this latest patch completely broke my recycling center. It's not producing any plastic/alloy, yet the storage lot for recycling is completely full. Way to fucking go guys! My city is about to turn into a wasteland because of this.

I played a bunch yesterday, picking up a City I'd put a couple of hours into on Friday night. When I last played I'd just setup the Coal mining operation. Like most of you, I'd also filled up the city map pretty much with zoning.

So when I came into the game yesterday, I was kind of annoyed at how much the Zoning guy was telling me to zone additional residential. I had no room! But I thought about it, and saw that some of my industrial areas weren't doing so hot. I de-zoned Industrial, rezoned Residential and knocked down the existing buildings.

Well, suddenly my population explodes. Even those these new residential buildings are going up by the power plant, and garbage dump, and even my Coal mining operations, they are expanding out from their low density to at least the medium density. Which is great! My population seemed to taper off just shy of 200k, after I rezoned all industrial over to residential. I added in some new commercial as well, which also did really well.

The problem now though is that my budget just won't stabilize. One minute I'm making +1k a month, the next I'm in the hole $800. If I just let the city play out it does eventually lead towards an increase of funds - but at a SUPER slow rate. The thing is it seems to be tied to the buildings evolving (for want of a better word) into newer better buildings.

It seems like when these buildings are under construction, there is no one living there - my pop number dips, but not as drastically as my funding. When the building is finished with construction and open for a bit - the numbers come back up. Unfortunately, this is happening so randomly all over my city that I can't seem to make any changes.

I actually left the game running and wandered away for a half hour. When I came back, thankfully the city was still standing, but I'd only gained a couple thousand to play with due to the back and forth nature of the funding. I'm sure a cheetah mode would help this, but that's disabled.

TL;DR version - Is there a way to combat the fluctuations on income do to buildings going under construction?

Also, has anyone else specialized entirely in residential with some commercial? It's *super* weird.

Amneisac

I get so mad when I see '23 hours played' on the game time counter. I've probably actually played about 2 hours when everything was actually working properly and I wasn't just relaunching the game trying to connect to a server.

grkazan12

So I'm going to be jumping hack into this in a bit. The only problem is that I get kind of confused when I want to start a new game. I just really wanted a single player mode, but I think for the most part that's out of the question.

I don't really know what to do, don't have that many origin friends playing this at the moment, so should I join a game? Start a new piblic game? Or try to find a group of people to join on GAF?

Twinduct

I just can't get a layout of roads that don't end up fucking over traffic!
Even tried the 'one' road method, which actually seemed to work fine at the start. But once any service vehicle shows up, it just goes to shit.

Poor maxis man, went out to help an injured person, returned after 3 days :/

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
I don't really have a problem with crimes being committed in my city... I just don't understand why I have so many criminals lol.

Those larger bars represent about 13 criminals each. The biggest one (my jail) is about 25.
Total number of criminals in my city is 265.

SimCity Update 1.4

This update to SimCity contains the following updates and fixes:

General

• Update to the “select a server” dialog in the game launcher. This will now indicate which servers you have active cities on

Note: At the moment, it is going to be showing the icon for any server you’ve been to as a player. We’ll be updating this soon to show how many regions you have (X/10) per server. We know this is a little confusing for now, but we will improve.

• Fix issue where selection shard did not display when previously selected server is down
• We've fixed a problem where some players were getting stuck when switching shards in the server select menu

Servers

• Opened 1 new server, Antarctica

Seems like this latest patch completely broke my recycling center. It's not producing any plastic/alloy, yet the storage lot for recycling is completely full. Way to fucking go guys! My city is about to turn into a wasteland because of this.

Anyone else having this issue? Everything was working fine for a while, and I was just accumulating processors trying for the Electronics HQ, and the next thing I now, I needed alloy and checked my recycling center and found it in its current condition.

Hasney

That Antarctica server is real?

Edit: It is.

Fuck it, why not just make a server with a large amount of latency and call it Pluto?

I think the main idea is to keep people who don't know better off and just have a server that anyone can jump on. I don't think latency is an issue with the game. One of the things it doesn't have an issue with.

gamma

Jeez, it's so annoying when people just stop playing their cities in your region and start somewhere else. I want to play in a region where people actually stay active.

Dekadez

Neo Member

Same here. I just spent a ton of Simoleons on the recycling center and 2 extra upgrades (well, a lot of cash for my 10000pop town), and it's doing jack shit.

gamma

Do you mean me? I didn't stop playing :p

No not you.

I really hate how they implemented the whole online system (launch issues aside) with different servers. It work for MMOs because there you actually stick to your character and don't just switch servers daily. But this is not an MMO, people will just abandon regions and play somewhere else and screw their neighbors in the process.

GKB

I can confirm that this still works - £18 for me from the UK, downloading now.

For anyone having issues or worried that it's complicated, just log into the Indian Origin page using your normal Origin e-mail address and password and enter your details as per normal (actual address and credit card details), you only have to change the country you live in to 'India' for it to work. That's it. Other than that, it's identical to using the normal origin store.

Am i gonna get banned for this ? Or should i just wait for a discount ?

Top Bottom