• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

macewank

*sigh*

where the hell is the "More info" link?

qqtLRgx.png

TKR92

Anyone playing NA East 2 server right now?

It says available. But every time I tried, either unable to connect or connect to NA East 1 server.

W1SSY

Tried doing the India Origin store and payment was rejected. I tried with two cards and got the same result. I will probably just wait for everything to get fixed and for EA to run a deal on it before I pick it up. Also finding out if they will require you to buy the Mac version if you own the PC version is a big question.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
What's the status on

Discovery Delta (3) ( http://metalmurphy.org/SimCity/08.php )
Titan Gorge (3) ( http://metalmurphy.org/SimCity/09.php )
Viridian Woods (2) ( http://metalmurphy.org/SimCity/01.php )

What server are they on? Do they even exist? And anyone in them can invite me on origin? (not the city just origin).

And whoever just registered on Viridian Woods (1), please accept my Origin invite.

Titan Gorge 3 is on US East 2. However, Both me and the Region's Maintainer can't play on our cities there - They just won't load and we get the "unable to load city at this time".

We kinda splintered into another region (on the same server), but it's kinda empty (there's only 6 out of 16).

RicardoNef is/was the maintainer. He's on at crazy hours, because he's not from the US.

Gav47

Am i gonna get banned for this ? Or should i just wait for a discount ?

Highly unlikely, people have been doing this for the past year and I have yet to hear of anyone being banned. I don't think EA can afford to implement region locks on their games at this stage, people already hate Origin enough.

S0N0S

No. You can register directly on that site, when a slot is open. There will be some opening soon.

I guess I'll lurk until I see the next one go up.

BTW, I recommend avoiding the older servers. For example, I've had issues on NA West 2, as well as NA East 1 & 2. NA East 4 has been smooth sailing, so far.

Ace 8095

I'm on the east coast and just bought the game. Can someone recommend what server I should join or just send me an invite.

Origin ID: Killer_Koala

Hasney

Yup, says all servers are unavailable and to click here for more info now. More info takes me to the help page where I clicked about "Issues connecting" and all that has is the brag about adding new servers...

drizzle

Axel Hertz
All these people want to play together, but nobody is coordinating anything. People are just making the same extensions to universities and so on.

Gotta work together people! :D

Hellcrow

I believe prices on electronics will plummet once the global market starts working. Electronics is sustainable and super easy cash.

Rad-

All these people want to play together, but nobody is coordinating anything. People are just making the same extensions to universities and so on.

Gotta work together people! :D

Probably because the ingame chat sucks ass... I mean how hard is it to add a decent chat to your game?

King_Moc

Banned
Over 200,000 people in my city now and coming on for 10,000,000 in the bank. I lose about 7,000 an hour, but make insane amounts through exporting to the global market. 50,000 tourists a month now as well. It's a struggle trying to sort space out to fit in skyscrapers though. My roads weren't well designed in the first instance.

Has anybody had any success with tourism? I'm constantly getting the "Poor tourism attendance" warning for my gambling/tourist spots despite have an airport maxed, 2 ferry docks and bus/shuttles throughout my city.

Titan Gorge 3 is on US East 2. However, Both me and the Region's Maintainer can't play on our cities there - They just won't load and we get the "unable to load city at this time".

We kinda splintered into another region (on the same server), but it's kinda empty (there's only 6 out of 16).

RicardoNef is/was the maintainer. He's on at crazy hours, because he's not from the US.

Haha no I'm from the US, just got crazy hours because I've been watching the World Baseball Classic and until recently its been on Japan hours. Anyone who wants in on the gaf region drizzle is refrencing can send me a friend request. originid=RNArroyo

cripterion

Updating now. Hope they corrected some bugs (notably the one with the firetrucks all going to the same damn fire).

Still no spots left for EU gaf region?

The patch notes received a little update regarding the icon to indicate what server(s) you have a city on.

General

• Update to the “select a server” dialog in the game launcher. This will now indicate which servers you have active cities on

Note: At the moment, it is going to be showing the icon for any server you’ve been to as a player. We’ll be updating this soon to show how many regions you have (X/10) per server. We know this is a little confusing for now, but we will improve.

Desaan

Sim City for £18 #ThanksIndianOriginStore

Probably what the real RRP should be considering the fiasco, who the fuck charges £45 for a PC game? #FuckyouEA

Ghost23

I am doing well (100k population and 800k simoleons), but I do not have any large building! My land value always stops after the second of three marks. How do I change this? My friend has all huge buildings for some reason.

10dollas

Banned
I haven't tested this out meticulously, but for people that are having your cities self-destruct from population explosions with traffic problems, you should try hiking taxes up a considerable amount before you reach the point of no return. From what I can tell, high taxes stunt growth and also have the secondary benefit of filling your coffers up enough so that in the future u can afford the changes needed to infrastructure in order to support a massive city.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I am doing well (100k population and 800k simoleons), but I do not have any large building! My land value always stops after the second of three marks. How do I change this? My friend has all huge buildings for some reason.

Parks, Monuments, City Services (Mayor Mansions, Schools) will increase Land Value, which will increase Population Wealth. However, be aware: High Wealth Sims won't use the Public Transportation, which might create a hell of a traffic problem on your city.

They're also very demanding when it comes to happiness, bitching at anything you do and usually leaving the city, which means they don't pay taxes, which means your income goes down.

Edit: I'd stay with Low/medium wealth, unless you have a tourism-centered city. Then go High Wealth.

Ghost23

Is it possible that I didn't leave enough room in between roads to allow the buildings to expand? I used a grid pattern throughout the city.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Is it possible that I didn't leave enough room in between roads to allow the buildings to expand? I used a grid pattern throughout the city.

If you followed the grid the game gives you, you're good to go: you can usually fit a high density building in one of those blocks.

Industrial requires two of them for one building (they grow to their side rather than up).

You do need High Density roads (or avenues, it doesn't matter) for them to get there.

However, all my big density buildings are always on the first stages of big density. I don't know if they change again once their bar gets all full.

Vitor711

Uh, anybody having the game crash to desktop as soon as you click play?

I can still hear the music but the game disappears. If I open up task manager, it's still there in the background but I can't see anything.

I did use the India trick to get it for cheap but I doubt that that would affect things...

macewank

the main thing that confuses me from a building standpoint is how I should zone.

Generally, I build a square, typically to the size of the next grid line, and fill in the square with whatever I want it zoned (so, residential on all 4 sides) .. does that stunt growth?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
the main thing that confuses me from a building standpoint is how I should zone.

Generally, I build a square, typically to the size of the next grid line, and fill in the square with whatever I want it zoned (so, residential on all 4 sides) .. does that stunt growth?

Ok, so.

Let's say a high density building takes a 4 by 4 space. However, lower density buildings don't (let's say 1x1 for low density, 2x2 for medium density). The game gives you a 4x4 grid when you're drawing roads.

Special Buildings (factories, schools, city services) do not follow that simple rule, because they require addons: If you put a service building on a 4x4 square as provided by the game, you're screwed: You won't have space to expand that building.

Factories are also different: They use a 4x8 space for the High Density Building (they grow to the side as opposed to up). If you only have a bunch of 4x4 squares, you'll end up with a medium-density industry that can't grow to high density.

Not only that, the grid the game gives you deppends on what your basing your road off: If you put the cursor on top of an avenue, it gives you one grid. If you put the cursor on top of a road, it gives you a different grid. I still didn't quite puzzle that one out yet.

Jrmint

I created a 2 city region on that island region, forget the name but it looks really cool.

Anyone interested in the second city spot?

It's on NA East 2.

10dollas

Banned

To add to what Drizzle said: You can confirm whether or not you left enough room by two direct methods.
1.Click/and or put your cursor on a building. If it says something to the effect of "not enough room to expand", well then, there you go.
2.When you are about to lay zoning on a high density road, you should see a colored bar that extends parallel to a road (but not touching it) to let you know how much room a high density building will need of the respective zoning type.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
To add to what Drizzle said: You can confirm whether or not you left enough room by two direct methods.
1.Click/and or put your cursor on a building. If it says something to the effect of "not enough room to expand", well then, there you go.
2.When you are about to lay zoning on a high density road, you should see a colored bar that extends parallel to a road (but not touching it) to let you know how much room a high density building will need of the respective zoning type.

Is that always High Density, or is that related to the road that's being used as the zoning region?

That also (literally) only tells you one side of growth: They also need an equal amount of space to the sides to grow.

Gnub

Anybody know?

From the region view click the Great Works site. Under the materials you want click the power button. Delivery trucks will start carrying that material to the site. If you are selling on the global market you will be splitting the product between both the global market and the great works site. Set the product to use locally to only send to the great works site.

I created a 2 city region on that island region, forget the name but it looks really cool.

Anyone interested in the second city spot?

It's on NA East 2.

I'll take it :D

Origin ID: ginsyboy

From the region view click the Great Works site. Under the materials you want click the power button. Delivery trucks will start carrying that material to the site. If you are selling on the global market you will be splitting the product between both the global market and the great works site. Set the product to use locally to only send to the great works site.

Gnub

Is that always High Density, or is that related to the road that's being used as the zoning region?

That also (literally) only tells you one side of growth: They also need an equal amount of space to the sides to grow.

That is based on current road density. The lateral growth can fluctuate the distance from the road is consistent.

JWong

Banned
I don't really have a problem with crimes being committed in my city... I just don't understand why I have so many criminals lol.

Those larger bars represent about 13 criminals each. The biggest one (my jail) is about 25.
Total number of criminals in my city is 265.

I have the same issue.

Everyone's educated. The entire population is 90% happy. I'm thinking it has to do with my land value.

In any case, I'm going to be taking drastic measures after accumulating a bit of wealth.
Destroy the entire population.

Jedi2016

I think it's related to the road, but I haven't really sat down and compared them.

While we're on the subject, what are most of those big skyscrapers? Are those all commercial, or are there residential high-rises as well?

Top Bottom