• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wow, MM, that website is looking slick.

I'm sad that I'll be traveling in Asia during the launch. I'll probably need a VPN or proxy if I'm gonna want to play the game on the 5th.

Anyone have any easy suggestions? I've never had to do that before lol.

Perhaps a tunnel to my home connection would be best, since I'd still have to download the game, and some free proxies have bandwidth caps?

That's a point actually. Since I'm in the UK, I have to wait until the 8th until I can play it (providing it gets delivered on time). So everyone will have a head start and my registered spot won't be active. Seems unfair to let it go to waste whilst someone else who actually has the game can use it.

That's a point actually. Since I'm in the UK, I have to wait until the 8th until I can play it (providing it gets delivered on time). So everyone will have a head start and my registered spot won't be active. Seems unfair to let it go to waste whilst someone else who actually has the game can use it.

It's not like people won't have other cities outside of the GAF regions too, right? So I don't think it's too awful if your region lies fallow for a few days.

Alternatively, you could make an agreement with somebody to cultivate the area and then hand over access to you once you get online.

Personally though I don't think it's a problem to leave some vacant for a couple days.

I can make one. I'm just saying at the end of the day I want to play natively. It would really suck if I have to purchase a whole different copy of the game to play in OSX. I could risk it and then sell my code on gaf or something I guess.

I hear ya. I'm planning on playing on my MacBook, but I play all of my games on my Bootcamp partition. If I were in your shoes I'd be pissed at EA for avoiding the subject of the Mac release date too.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Wow, MM, that website is looking slick.

I'm sad that I'll be traveling in Asia during the launch. I'll probably need a VPN or proxy if I'm gonna want to play the game on the 5th.

Anyone have any easy suggestions? I've never had to do that before lol.

Perhaps a tunnel to my home connection would be best, since I'd still have to download the game, and some free proxies have bandwidth caps?

tunnelbear.com? 1.5GB free VPN with their twitter promo,otherwise 500MB.

It's not like people won't have other cities outside of the GAF regions too, right? So I don't think it's too awful if your region lies fallow for a few days.

Alternatively, you could make an agreement with somebody to cultivate the area and then hand over access to you once you get online.

Personally though I don't think it's a problem to leave some vacant for a couple days.

You make a fair case there. I guess we'll just see what happens!

Jintor

God I hope that Amazon code I bought can be plugged into my AU Origin

Christ I hate having to worry about this bullshit

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I hear ya. I'm planning on playing on my MacBook, but I play all of my games on my Bootcamp partition. If I were in your shoes I'd be pissed at EA for avoiding the subject of the Mac release date too.
I don't understand why they are avoiding it. Just come out and say it. Actually having mixed signals from the company. Different answers from dev and official twitter account. Very weird.

Ok, here goes:

http://metalmurphy.org/SimCity/

- Only registrations after this post will be valid.
- First come first serve.
- Register in multiple cities in order of preference, someone may have already taken your's even if it's listed as NOT TAKEN.
- Only your first chosen FREE city will be registered.

I don't understand why they are avoiding it. Just come out and say it. Actually having mixed signals from the company. Different answers from dev and official twitter account. Very weird.

I don't either. I don't know if it's just EA being EA or if it's a sign that there might be an issue with the Mac release.

Ok, here goes:

- Register in multiple cities in order of preference, someone may have already taken your's even if it's listed as NOT TAKEN.

Woohoo! Registered at Huckleberry!

.. though it's not really showing up immediately :p

I'm honestly scared to register at Sawyer in addition just in case it messes up my first registration XD Actually I'll hang back a bit til I see some icons appear.

Edit: OH THERE I AM! Yay!

Smiley90

I'm honestly scared to register at Sawyer in addition just in case it messes up my first registration XD Actually I'll hang back a bit til I see some icons appear.

aaaaand Tutor Isle is mine! :D

Smiley90

I hope people join my little 4-city region, otherwise it's gonna be lonely and I;ll have to relocate LOL

Order of registration matters, so if you registered in Huckleberry first, you would get that, unless someone took it first.

Only 7 registrations so far. Guess I'll do mine.

Order of registration matters, so if you registered in Huckleberry first, you would get that, unless someone took it first.

Only 7 registrations so far. Guess I'll do mine.

Well if I already got Huckleberry Island (as it looks like I did, :D) then I don't have any need to register for others, right? :)

Gots me Cottonwood Forest in Discovery Delta!

Added in the registration system into the OT. I'm assuming that in time this will be expanded on for the other regions for those that want smaller ones, as well as possibly having multiple versions of the same region if we get a lot of interested players?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I don't either. I don't know if it's just EA being EA or if it's a sign that there might be an issue with the Mac release.
I guess I'll just order on Amazon using cagrocks. Did you get the digital download? I can always use bootcamp if necessary.

Added in the registration system into the OT. I'm assuming that in time this will be expanded on for the other regions for those that want smaller ones, as well as possibly having multiple versions of the same region if we get a lot of interested players?

Well, weekend is coming up, so who knows :p

Making multiple versions yes, that's easy to do.

Well if I already got Huckleberry Island (as it looks like I did, :D) then I don't have any need to register for others, right? :)

Nope, once you get a city, the rest is ignored.

Smiley90

I'd say let's first try and fill up those 16-city regions as "official" GAF-regions, if a couple of us want smaller region as "friends", then they're free to do that of course. But I'd say keep the "official" regions as those 16-city regions, so we can fill them up first. if they fill up we can always add more copies/other regions.

I'd say let's first try and fill up those 16-city regions as "official" GAF-regions, if a couple of us want smaller region as "friends", then they're free to do that of course. But I'd say keep the "official" regions as those 16-city regions, so we can fill them up first. if they fill up we can always add more copies/other regions.

Yeah that makes sense :)

I guess I'll just order on Amazon using cagrocks. Did you get the digital download? I can always use bootcamp if necessary.

I did get the digital download. I originally had the physical copy ordered because it comes with a $20 Amazon certificate, but I switched to the digital download last night. Figured I might as well just save the $15 now instead of $20 for future use. I believe that you can pre-load the digital version from Amazon starting at 11 am Pacific/2 pm Eastern.

Spl1nter

We were able to choose the regional server in the beta, will it not be like that in the final version?

It will be, just think it should be noted. Some people may not want to associate with others, such as the french.

You mean that only people in NA can play with people in NA for example? Can people not just select the server they want to boot the game into at the launcher?

You can choose server

Pandemic

Ok, here goes:

Wow, that website looks awesome. Great work, my hype is building with all this multiplayer talk. Can we turn that website into NeoGAFs SimCity multiplayer hub sort of thing, and follow in Reddits footsteps with governors, etc

I'll be sure to register when I get home, hopefully all spots won't be taken by then.

Wow, that website looks awesome. Great work, my hype is building with all this multiplayer talk. Can we turn that website into NeoGAFs SimCity multiplayer hub sort of thing, and follow in Reddits footsteps with governors, etc

I'll be sure to register when I get home, hopefully all spots won't be taken by then.

I'm not sure how Governors work but sure, I can "adapt" it to whatever.

Well I'm off to bed now guys. Stayed up later than I should really but it was worth it to secure my place in a region :p

Thanks again Metal, it's a great system and idea!

Pandemic

Ok, here goes:

I'm not sure how Governors work but sure, I can "adapt" it to whatever.

It's up to you though, don't want to shove your website in a direction that you don't want. But mainly the idea of it being multiplayer HUB for NeoGAF, no idea what type of information can go on it other than region names and whose in each region.

Can you delete secondary registrations once their first has been confirmed? :D

That's automatically happening afaik. You only end up getting one, and the system gives you the first available of your choices.

Edit: Oh shit you're doing it manually. You're a champ metalmurphy!

It's up to you though, don't want to shove your website in a direction that you don't want. But mainly the idea of it being multiplayer HUB for NeoGAF, no idea what type of information can go on it other than region names and whose in each region.

Well, nicknames are already assigned to cities on the maps. Adding region names will be easy. City names too.

Smiley90

Well, nicknames are already assigned to cities on the maps. Adding region names will be easy. City names too.

Well once the 4-city-mini-regions fill up the 4 people there can get together and start planning, as well as once the whole 16-city region fills up everyone in it can decide on a more general plan for the entire region :)

Impressive website! Definitely making this whole process a lot better. Very happy with the city I got too. Good balance of resources, 90% buildable and 2 desirability.

Top Bottom