• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Septimius

lol, I mean in a good way.

It's kinda allowing me to direct the flow of shoppers in my city a little more precisely so that they don't interfere with the people trying to drive to work.

You need to mix in commercial zones with residential. That way, when a sim leaves a house and does the predictable "what's the closest shop?", they'll have only some meters to drive.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You need to mix in commercial zones with residential. That way, when a sim leaves a house and does the predictable "what's the closest shop?", they'll have only some meters to drive.

I already do that. But with the tower, I can satisfy more shoppers faster, thus getting them home and happy and out of the way before rush hour hits.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
What's going on here?

ilPrUhB9dfjvn.gif

Bumhead

Banned
I still don't know what I make of this game.

Some of the utter bullshit EA have clearly woven into this experience (or not and lied about it, as we are at now) is outrageous. Easily enough for me to question whether or not I buy EA games at launch going forward, or even at all. I'm definitely glad I only paid £19 for this, yet at the same time that's £19 more than I'm truly comfortable with giving EA for some of these practices and decisions.

On the flip side to that, I'm enjoying the game. Like, really enjoying it. It's not perfect, but since I bought it on Monday night I've put 20+ hours into it. It's been years and years since I played so much of a game that quickly. I'm playing in a region with some friends and we are having a blast with it, despite all the issues and some of the games limitations and quirks. While I'm at work I log onto GAF and despair at the amount of horror stories leaking out of EA and Maxis about this utterly bodged project, then I go home, boot up Sim City and find the hours slipping away while I tinker with my City or chat with the rest of the guys on my region about it.

Such an odd experience. It's pretty unique.

I stopped playing until they fix the Recycling Center bug. Fuck you EA/Maxis! I'm sick of rebuilding one every day only to have them stop working again shortly there after. Maxis did at least acknowledge its a bug they are working on, but this was several days ago.

I stopped playing until they fix the Recycling Center bug. Fuck you EA/Maxis! I'm sick of rebuilding one every day only to have them stop working again shortly there after. Maxis did at least acknowledge its a bug they are working on, but this was several days ago.

They are probably working on a big gameplay patch or at least I hope they are.

Shit pathfinding AI.

I've had a fire truck go in circles on the same stretch of road once while a fire was burning a building down right next to it...

I have this one section in my town where the moving trucks ALWAYS get confused. I'll scroll over and see literally about 20 trucks going around in circles or just making endless uturns. If I deviate them by destroying roads, they just do it at another spot, but if I keep doing it, eventually they move on to their actual destination.

Septimius

So, the pause key didn't work for me, since I have the wrong locale (whops, Indian - which is equal to en-us). I dived into the configuration package, and found all the key-bindings. I haven't seen anywhere in the game where you can change them, or even see what they are. I didn't know shift + R = road-tool. So here's the complete list:

Code:
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
//  Trigger config file for SimCity
//
// key = triggerCode
// example:
// x = 0x1f000010
// control alt x = 0x1f00020
//
// After defining them here, you can add a trigger constant in SCGameInputManager.h such as
// const uint32_t kTriggerCode_BulldozerToolTweak = 0x1f00020;
//

//
// DEBUG KEYS here
//
control shift 1 = 0x0dc3b465	// great works progress cheat
control shift 2 = 0x0dc4dc26    // great works unlock cheat
control shift 5 = 0x0e0a5cd4    // unlock arcology
control shift 7 = 0x0e4c99e3    // cheat to toggle great works operating state
control alt pageup = 0x0f0796f2	// wire article cheat previous article
control alt pagedown = 0x0f079700	// wire article cheat next article

// Layer Manager
control alt k = 0x0d9fd251      // toggle print state
control alt c = 0x0d9fd27d      // Toggle Map
control alt g = 0x0d9fd295      // Toggle debug layers
control alt h = 0x0d9fd2b4      // Toggle debug alerts
control alt shift i = 0x0d9fd2b5      // Toggle debug sinks in pipe overlay
control alt shift t = 0x0d9fd2b6      // Toggle debug mode for trade pipes
control alt shift d = 0x0d9fd2b7      // Toggle debug mode for destination colors
control alt shift m = 0x0d9fd2b8      // Toggle debug mode for distance heat maps

// Misc
control shift n = 0x10000026      // Newspaper

// Camera

///// Pan keys
a = 0x0dd4c52e  // pan the camera left
d = 0x0dd4c52f  // pan the camera right
w = 0x0dd4c530  // pan the camera up
s = 0x0dd4c531  // pan the camera down
left = 0x0ee17731  // pan the camera left
right = 0x0ee17732 // pan the camera right
up = 0x0ee17733  // pan the camera up
down = 0x0ee17734  // pan the camera down

// Zoom keys
Numpad+ = 0x0dd72fb7 // zoom camera in
Numpad- = 0x0dd72fb8 // zoom camera out
Z = 0x0ef53037 // zoom camera in
X = 0x0ef5303b // zoom camera out
pagedown =0x0ef58f24 // zoom camera in
pageup = 0x0ef58f2d // zoom camera out
= = 0x0f28efa9 // Zoom in
- = 0x0f28efaa // Zoom out

//Rotation Keys
Q = 0x0dd72fb6 // rotate camera left
E = 0x0dd72fb5 // rotate camera right
home = 0x0f14ee2b // pitch camera up
end = 0x0f14ee2c  // pitch camera down

//Panels
control f1 = 0x0ef592af	// help
f2 = 0x0ef66e4f // population
f3 = 0x0ef66cc1 // budget
f4 = 0x0ef66cce // mayor rating

//Shortcuts to tools
control r	= 0x0ef66d3f	// residential zoning
control c	= 0x0ef66d46	// commercial zoning
control i	= 0x0ef66d4c	// industrial zoning
control u	= 0x0ef66d52	// unzoning tool
b			= 0x0ef66d56	// bulldozer
shift r = 0x0ef66d5a	// road panel
shift p = 0x0ef66d5f	// power panel
shift w = 0x0ef66d64	// water panel
shift S = 0x0ef66d69	// sewage panel
shift D = 0x0ef66d6d	// garbage panel
shift G = 0x0ef66d72	// goverment panel
shift F = 0x0ef69e5a	// fire panel
shift H = 0x0ef69e5f	// health panel
shift C = 0x0ef69e63	// police/ crime
shift E = 0x0ef69e67	// education
shift T = 0x0ef69e6b	// mass transit
shift U = 0x0ef69e6f	// parks and culture
shift B = 0x0ef69eb2	// big business
shift X = 0x0f06482f	// disaster palette

tab = 0x0f20a0a5 // flip through tool panels
shift tab =  0x0f20a0a6 // reverse flip through panels

//Road draw types
I       = 0x0f10f092    // Straight
O       = 0x0f10f093    // Circle
U       = 0x0f10f094    // Curvy
H       = 0x0f10f095    // Rectangle
J       = 0x0f10f096    // Arc

R       = 0x0f1f7b05    // Upgrade roal tool

Backspace = 0x0efa9bd6	// region / city view toggle
k		= 0x0efab2fc	// open challenges window window
L		= 0x0efab30c	// open leaderboards window
;		= 0x0efab318	// open achievements window
'       = 0xc86cf54d    // open citylog window
escape  = 0xc06c71c3    // open options window

//heavy layer controls
F5		= 0x0efab333	// open population heavy layer
F6		= 0x0efab33c	// open happiness heavy layer
F7		= 0x0efab367	// open money heavy layer
F8		= 0x0efab36f	// open income/expenses heavy layer
F9		= 0x0efab37b	// open building density heavy layer
F10     = 0x0f1f7703    // open residential heavy layer
F11     = 0x0f1f7704    // open commercial heavy layer
F12     = 0x0f1f7705    // open Industrial heavy layer

4 = 0x0f1f7751 // open Water heavy layer
5 = 0x0f1f7752 // open Coal heavy layer
6 = 0x0f1f7753 // open Ore heavy layer
7 = 0x0f1f7754 // open Oil heavy layer

/		= 0x0efad65a	// toggle next heavy data layer

C		= 0x0efd2e72	// screen capture
V		= 0x0efd2ecf	// video capture

// tools
control alt t = 0x0d75cc5c      // bulldozer tool tweaker
control alt a = 0x0d75cc75      // bulldozer tool debug

enter = 0x8d31b469      // Toggle Region Wall Notifications panel

` = 0x0f2e1785      // Speed - pause
1 = 0x0d8bc5a9      // Speed - turtle
2 = 0x0d8bc5ba      // Speed - rabbit
3 = 0x0d8bc5c7      // Speed - cheetah

//
// handle "click" events here.  For 'normal' mouse down/up events, use above
// 0xFnnnnnnn is right mouse button 'click' modifier
// 0xEnnnnnnn is left mouse button 'click' modifier
mouse_button_right = 0xFd800d8d    // disable tool panel
mouse_button_right = 0xFd800d7d    // disable tool

I'm curious to what the bulldozer tool tweaker is. Might be debug only. But hey, I figured some might find this useful

I also hated video capture being V, so I changed that.

EDIT: Seems there's an online page you get sent to if you try to find this info in game. So there is a place to find the key bindings.

Hasney

any way to fix this? the bus just sits there for like 5 minutes and all the traffic backs up for no reason. Happens frequently in my city and its a huge traffic problem

Not with the current pathfinding, no. other than destroy the city and do that one winding road picture.

sangreal

Not with the current pathfinding, no. other than destroy the city and do that one winding road picture.

That is a long winding road from the highway. I did not do the whole city like that picture, but it is quite long.

Have you tried moving the bus stop down a couple of blocks?

I guess I could try that, but it happens all over. Maybe I will just wipe out bus system

What does the "shortest path" path finding have to do with a bus that never moves?

Yeah I dont think that is an issue here. This is the only way to get to region highway. My issue is two-fold: bus stays still for no reason; cars line up behind bus despite the road being 3 lanes

Slacker

Built a park-n-ride for my city last night. Had a few neighborinos from my GAF buddies come pay a visit:

PSeshBm.png

Traffic was stuck like this for 15 minutes before I finally deleted the bus stop. :p

B-Dex

Guys this is why the servers are so messed up:

We do simulate the whole region on the server. There's a mirror of everything your city does, along with the cross-city region simulation.

#icant Maxis. Stahp.

(from redditt)

JWong

Banned
Built a park-n-ride for my city last night. Had a few neighborinos from my GAF buddies come pay a visit:

PSeshBm.png

Traffic was stuck like this for 15 minutes before I finally deleted the bus stop. :p

It's called SimCity PVP. How to screw with each other's city.

I believe the mirror part since one of the Maxis developers logged on to look at a bug I had in my city while I was playing it. He even gave me some tips on where my water plant should've been placed.

What was the bug? School buses were dropping off kids at the school but the kids would walk across the street, only to cross it again to get back to the school which also stopped traffic.

And for all we know it's not possible. All that hack did was disable the 20 minute timeout when it can't contact the server, it doesn't enable offline region trading nor saving your city in any way.

How the fuck could saving your city locally not be easily accomplished offline if Maxis wanted to? Offline trading surely should be no problem for them either. The whole argument is that Maxis are bullshitting with their "it's simple not possible because it's designed around being online" when it clearly is possible if they wanted it to be, without cutting any of their "design choices that requires online".

munroe

So I've got no idea what's happening to my great works construction. I'm trying to send about 2600 tonnes of metal, the figure will rise to say 2000 then suddenly drop down to 800 for no reason, then it will rise again then drop, keeps doing this, anyone else had any issues with constructing a great works (Trying to build an arcology)

How the fuck could saving your city locally not be easily accomplished offline if Maxis wanted to? Offline trading surely should be no problem for them either. The whole argument is that Maxis are bullshitting with their "it's simple not possible because it's designed around being online" when it clearly is possible if they wanted it to be, without cutting any of their "design choices that requires online".

"Possible" and "Simple" are not the same thing. Of course it's possible, but how much re-engineering of the underlying code would be required is the question.

"Possible" and "Simple" are not the same thing. Of course it's possible, but how much re-engineering of the underlying code would be required is the question.

I don't see how letting you save locally would require them to re-engineer the game, at worst they could just emulate a server for you locally... Of course someone would have to actually code it, but come on, of course it's very fixable for a team of developers like Maxis.

They tried to bullshit everyone with their "whole game needs to be re-designed", hell they even bullshitted with the simulation happening server side, everything has proven to be bullshit so far, the whole game doesn't need to be re-designed to allow something like offline trading or saving. When nothing is actually running server side like they claimed, what was the idea of designing it around being online all the time, other than DRM and forcing people to play it the way they want to?

Maxis is clearly "working with" Polygon.

I highly doubt it's anything more than Polygon being their usual incompetent selfs.

munroe

Another thing, what does the "guide me" button do? I clicked on the electronics one, got an achievement for clicking the button and nothing. Nothing happens at all.

sangreal

Another thing, what does the "guide me" button do? I clicked on the electronics one, got an achievement for clicking the button and nothing. Nothing happens at all.

it used to give you tutorial quests for building up your spec but I think it stopped working

sangreal

I don't see how letting you save locally would require them to re-engineer the game, at worst they could just emulate a server for you locally... Of course someone would have to actually code it, but come on, of course it's very fixable for a team of developers like Maxis.

They tried to bullshit everyone with their "whole game needs to be re-designed", hell they even bullshitted with the simulation happening server side, everything has proven to be bullshit so far, the whole game doesn't need to be re-designed to allow something like offline trading or saving. When nothing is actually running server side like they claimed, what was the idea of designing it around being online all the time, other than DRM and forcing people to play it the way they want to?

Your assumption that "nothing is actually running server side" is wrong and so are the conclusions that you derive from it. In fact, you tacitly acknowledge this by suggesting they would have to patch in things like "offline trading". The game, while currently broken in this regard, is designed around persistent online regions/world (run server-side) which allows for asynchronous gameplay between cities. They could, and should, let people run their own dedicated servers but to change the game to an offline model would be a drastic departure from the original design. The fact that your city is run locally doesn't change any of this.

Of course, most of these features are currently broken but that doesn't mean they should be permanently broken on purpose. It significantly detracts from the gameplay.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

The FIRST THING they disabled to address the servers being over capacity thing was region trading.

Everybody was technically playing an offline game for a couple days: all server interaction that was happening was a 20 minute ping to see if you were online and a load or save city command when loading or closing the game.

It's pathetic.

Jezbollah

Servers arent needed. If there was shared region play, it can be done via Peer to Peer like most other co-op games are (eg Borderlands 2).

It's all bollocks.

sangreal

Servers arent needed. If there was shared region play, it can be done via Peer to Peer like most other co-op games are (eg Borderlands 2).

It's all bollocks.

Peer-to-peer wouldn't allow for asynchronous play like the current model does. It could be redesigned for offline singleplayer but its a drastic change from how the game currently works.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Your assumption that "nothing is actually running server side" is wrong and so are the conclusions that you derive from it. In fact, you tacitly acknowledge this by suggesting they would have to patch in things like "offline trading". The game, while currently broken in this regard, is designed around persistent online regions/world (run server-side) which allows for asynchronous gameplay between cities. They could, and should, let people run their own dedicated servers but to change the game to an offline model would be a drastic departure from the original design. The fact that your city is run locally doesn't change any of this.

While I said that Offline Gaming is 100% possible if they wanted it on the last message, don't get me wrong: If everything worked as intended, being online would have been a great benefit: IF the prices of a product fluctuate with online demand, that's a game changer right there.

For instance, every 1k Microchips always sell for 48k Simoleans. What if that price changed depending on the Market? If a bunch of server-calculated math was used and decided that most regions want Microchips, so the "market" price for those would go up? Or plastic? Or ore? Or alloy? Or TVs?

That's a very interesting passive interaction with other regions: I'm not talking about people on the same plot of land as you, i'm talking about people from India playing on a Indian server with their Indian friends buying plastic from "the region", and that plastic price is set by the server based on the plastic production over all servers, not much different than the value of things on EVE.

Sadly, the clusterfuck that they have presented with their server administration, I doubt that'll ever happen for real.

The thing is: why not just give me the option? Allow me to play the game offline with no online interaction (microchips will always cost 48k when sold to "the region", for instance) and allow me to control all the cities in a plot. Hell, make the plots smaller, but give me an offline option.

Septimius

Of course, most of these features are currently broken but that doesn't mean they should be permanently broken on purpose. It significantly detracts from the gameplay.

But there's no reason not to allow a local, offline region. I haven't been able to join any online regions, because the join menu shows me games I CAN'T JOINNN. It would take a network programmer not too much time to simply allow the game to route back to a local server in the case of a local region, and that server program can start with SimCity, and no one would be the wiser. If a cracker takes the time, he'd program an application you'd start that would reroute all the data that was meant to reach the EA server, intercept it, and save all the save-related data in its own, local DB, and feed it back as needed.

It's not how you'd make an offline region if you had allowed for it to begin with (which would've rid the ridiculous requirement of only being able to save online) - but it would most definitely work without any type of "complete re-engineering"

sangreal

But there's no reason not to allow a local, offline region. I haven't been able to join any online regions, because the join menu shows me games I CAN'T JOINNN. It would take a network programmer not too much time to simply allow the game to route back to a local server in the case of a local region, and that server program can start with SimCity, and no one would be the wiser. If a cracker takes the time, he'd program an application you'd start that would reroute all the data that was meant to reach the EA server, intercept it, and save all the save-related data in its own, local DB, and feed it back as needed.

It's not how you'd make an offline region if you had allowed for it to begin with (which would've rid the ridiculous requirement of only being able to save online) - but it would most definitely work without any type of "complete re-engineering"

Well, like I said, I think you should be able to run your own server which seems to be what you're suggesting (although you're suggesting a transparent local server but at that point we might as well be able to host multiplayer servers). I'm saying that removing the server all-together would be a big re-design.

Septimius

Well, like I said, I think you should be able to run your own server which seems to be what you're suggesting (although you're suggesting a transparent local server but at that point we might as well be able to host multiplayer servers). I'm saying that removing the server all-together would be a big re-design.

Yeah. I'm not thinking P2P servers, I'm thinking a local transparent server so you can enjoy a region you don't play with anyone else. I imagine "public" "private" and "offline" region types. We're back to this just being glorified DRM. I love the multiplayer aspect of SimCity, I really do, but the way they force us to be online and pretend it's integral is just wrong. You should even be able to play an online city offline, and when you try to interact with the region, it should take you online.

Removing the server all-together is big, but you can make it a true single-player game by making a local server to handle it.

Also, are there any slots in any NeoGAF regions? I really wanna play online, but that stupid join screen :shake fist:

Top Bottom