• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

foladar

Wish I could actually get on the server I played last .. started on NA East 3, then hit queue next time, so had to do another server. Trying that server and getting "network error" so I have to do another server.

1cmanny1

Wow you can only make cities in these small little areas?Whyyyyyyyyyyy

It is stupid. I can't even attempt to fix the traffic problems because I have to save space up.

Don't worry though, you will be able to probably buy DLC which will attempt to fix the game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone know the cheapest price on this? I had a friend who got a deal from this Indian site or something like that. Not a key site but he really didn't explain. Trying to buy a gift copy for a friend. Any ideas PM please.
It's cheaper on the Indian version of Origin. So... well, you need to figure out how to get there is the thing.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This is the kind of stuff that always amazes me, even if I'm also in the same industry... They spent a couple years doing some stuff, have a bunch of people doing QA and even when they release the game, something as important as the traffic system is messed up when released, but it just took them a few days to get quite done with it (even if they said it's still being developed and there's no date announcement for it).

Oh well, hopefully they fix this and many other things within the next few weeks :)

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines too. We told them during the beta how fucked up traffic is, yet nothing. Although to be fair, I wasn't fully clear on the mechanics of why traffic is the way it is until now.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Another thing that contributes to the terrible commuter traffic is the way that the demand bars work in this game. It's not like in the other simcity games.

In the other simcity games, if your residential demand was negative, you best not be zoning more residential because there way too many unemployed people. Similarly, if there was negative commercial or industrial, don't zone more because you already have too much jobs and too little people to fill them. The zones would grow only so much before nothing would develop anymore in a negative demand environment.

However, in this game, you can just zone willy nilly whatever the fuck you want, and it'll grow to a certain extent. You'll just have to reap the consequences of what follows, when your entire population decides to commute out of town, or someone else's city floods yours, and your highway gets clogged.

sk3

Banned
I can't speak for QA in videogames, but in my company (web development) the QA team basically just makes sure new features behave how they should, and old functions don't change. They don't actively try to break stuff and test the limits of the system. I think they should, but.. thats not my department.

Another thing that contributes to the terrible commuter traffic is the way that the demand bars work in this game. It's not like in the other simcity games.

In the other simcity games, if your residential demand was negative, you best not be zoning more residential because there way too many unemployed people. Similarly, if there was negative commercial or industrial, don't zone more because you already have too much jobs and too little people to fill them. The zones would grow only so much before nothing would develop anymore in a negative demand environment.

However, in this game, you can just zone willy nilly whatever the fuck you want, and it'll grow to a certain extent. You'll just have to reap the consequences of what follows, when your entire population decides to commute out of town, or someone else's city floods yours, and your highway gets clogged.

In my last city my res bars and industry bars were full =/ I was already running low on space and they stayed full as my density rose =/

sorry if this is a dumb question but how the heck do i get resources to go to the great works site? I am trying to do the Arcology which needs metal, alloy and TVs. One of my cities is producing a decent amount of metal and alloy and it is set to send resources but after days of in-game time its still at 0

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
So here's some current progress on my city. I finally got the traffic sorted out. I had about 285k ppl, but lost a ton while I fixed the roads. The streets are almost barren now, even with the dumb vehicle AI.

d5d4ySn.jpg

Here's a street layout with the majority of the roads. Sure it's an hour wait but look at the street car riders, and then look at the population! I've got another 25k riding buses. The roads are almost exclusively garbage/recycling/delivery trucks!

Az9vmoC.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How do I export anything? Industrial district is complaining :-/

They're probably talking about freight.

Industry works like this:

Worker goes to factory, workers make freight, factory delivers freight via truck to a place that accepts it.

So, either you don't have enough workers, or you aren't able to make enough deliveries.

The places that accept freight are commercial zones, trade depots, trade ports, vu tower, or cargo hold at the airport.

Your best option is usually to just plunk a freight depot next to your industrial zones. Delivery to commercial zones takes too long, and tend to get stuck in traffic.

In practice, you actually don't really need industrial zones that much. As far as I can tell, commercial zones don't even need to have freight delivered to them.

Here is a handy graphic guide to help you

http://imgur.com/a/gUFqn

Hellcrow

I just played for 5 hours straight D:

I go all, "fuck this game, I'm going to try to get a refund!" Then I end up playing the game for 4 hours, so I guess it has some merit.

But I'm taking a break until cheetah speed is back, and mods have fixed everything.

2 spots open in Viridian Woods 3.
i can't play personally myself in my own city due to the fact that i have an attraction for nuclear meltdowns. :(
first 2 to quote me gets the invites.

ORIGIN: viakado

KePoW

Banned
In practice, you actually don't really need industrial zones that much. As far as I can tell, commercial zones don't even need to have freight delivered to them.

Huh? I thought one of the very first tutorials said that Commercial shops need freight from Industry to operate.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Huh? I thought one of the very first tutorials said that Commercial shops need freight from Industry to operate.

IIRC, it used to be in the game somewhere, but they had to take it out because it would cause some kind of feedback loop or something.

Commercial doesn't actually need industrial. The only thing commercial needs besides basic services, are people or tourists from the appropriate wealth class to shop at them.

Industry delivering freight directly to commercial is meaningless. It just vanishes into the ether. It's better for industrial to deliver freight directly to a depot you place next door since it's close and can hold more freight.

The only real use of industrial is that they generate a shit ton of jobs. I think they might also be capable of generating more tax revenue if kept happy, but I'm not sure.

It sucks that high tech in this game pollutes, too. As far as I can tell, I don't really want it if that's the case.

Slacker

Eurogamer posted a very well written review that nails pretty much every problem with the game on the head:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-15-simcity-review

A trip about town reveals roads overlapped by jagged ground textures and sometimes even buildings. A house sits in the middle of one street while another is buried under a strange pile of earth. A car is half-parked in a hill. One wing of the grade school is a strange and misshapen pile of grey rubble. That school, incidentally, is closed, because since the opening of Jefferson's university there's been no need to keep any of the antecedent educational establishments. Nobody needs to go to school in the city that doesn't make sense.

(...)

I can handle the graphical bugs - those overlapping buildings, the misshaped roads, the fire fighters who have chosen to stand on the station roof and spend their time endlessly vibrating. What I can't handle is the knowledge that things aren't working properly, that whatever success I've made is a sham, the result of misshapen game mechanics producing outcomes that are frequently contradictory or even nonsense. The population numbers make no sense and sometimes fall or rocket for no apparent reason; I'm not really sure where it is my money comes from; I never need to touch my tax rate.
4/10 score.

Koomaster

sorry if this is a dumb question but how the heck do i get resources to go to the great works site? I am trying to do the Arcology which needs metal, alloy and TVs. One of my cities is producing a decent amount of metal and alloy and it is set to send resources but after days of in-game time its still at 0
You have to have a trade depot. Make sure the trade depot has the appropriate module for the material you are donating to the great works site. Then make sure it's set to 'use locally'. You also have to click on the great works button and be sure to 'turn on' the material you are donating.

If you've done all that and it's still showing zero, it's because it's bugged. See other responses above on this. Doesn't seem to ever show you the true number of materials that have been donated thus far. If you zoom out of your city to the great works site, keep a watch on the highways. If you see alloy/metal delivery trucks leaving your city and making their way to the site, then it's working, it's just not telling you it's working.

Speaking of not working - does anyone else have trouble with helicopters? I finally got fed up with my traffic snarled city burning down around me so I sprung for an airport so I could also buy a deluxe fire station with 4 (yes FOUR!) fire fighting helicopters.

Meanwhile my city continues to burn down around me while the fire station just reads 'Ready to respond to fires' and I see no helicopters in the sky doing their job. I know this worked last week in another city I built as I watched a helicopter put out a fire. But now these FOUR helicopters which are costing me $5k an hour aren't doing anything. So anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Slacker

Is the water filter just for show? Added one to a pump that was supposedly polluted but my adviser still won't shut up about it.

eroots

My biggest problem with the game (besides always online) is that it's waaay too easy to make money.. I can setup some recycling plants and export my recycling and I have a endless stream of $$$. Then, buy all the parks, services and drop the tax rate to 0. Where is the challenge? I really hope they add a higher 'classic' difficulty mode..

sangreal

My biggest problem with the game (besides always online) is that it's waaay too easy to make money.. I can setup some recycling plants and export my recycling and I have a endless stream of $$$. Then, buy all the parks, services and drop the tax rate to 0. Where is the challenge? I really hope they add a higher 'classic' difficulty mode..

Indeed, although part of this is because they disabled the global market. In theory, the prices of metal and alloy should tank since everyone is doing that

eroots

Indeed, although part of this is because they disabled the global market. In theory, the prices of metal and alloy should tank since everyone is doing that

Good point.. I still hope Maxis comes around and puts in a "classic simcity" hard mode... without all the city specialization stuff.. I just want a bigger challenge... maybe i go back to Dwarf Fortress soon..

Slacker

Businesses closing left and right for not enough workers in my 177k population city. Apaprently amongst those 177k people only 16k are considered "workers." Other businesses complaining about no skilled workers when the university is packed full. Others closing down due to nowhere to ship freight, while businesses all around them say freight shipments are netting them huge profits. And almost every time I try to bulldoze and change a road layout to fit new things in (no room to everything I want of course) I get the 'can't build that close to an existing intersection' message EVEN THOUGH IT ISN'T FREAKING CLOSE TO ANYTHING. GAH.

Can we have that free game now please? I want to play whatever it is they're giving us while we wait for the patches to start rolling in. My guess: Madden 2009.

]blacky[;50260227 said:
Will they release a demo of the game?
I have no idea, but I wouldn't count on getting one for a long long LONG time. They've got months of work ahead of them to just make the game not suck. A demo has to be on the farthest back of all back burners at the moment.

Top Bottom