• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Partition

Banned
And for all we know it's not possible. All that hack did was disable the 20 minute timeout when it can't contact the server, it doesn't enable offline region trading nor saving your city in any way.
The save button contacts the server, it does not make a local save file. Rewriting that could be significantly difficult for modders but it's not entirely impossible. All the simulation and work is done locally, which is the kicker here. All that is needed now is to just tell the game to read progress locally and not from a server.

Ugh, I think my city is lost forever :(

Just as everything was looking good :(

Oh and I had built a recycling plant, but it said there were no recyclables? How do I get my sims to recycle?

Pyrogeek

Oh and I had built a recycling plant, but it said there were no recyclables? How do I get my sims to recycle?

The High School is what teaches recycling to educated sims, as far as I understand. At least it is the only school building that says so in it's description. In my cities, recycling has only started to appear after I've plopped both a High School and Recycling Center.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Built a park-n-ride for my city last night. Had a few neighborinos from my GAF buddies come pay a visit:

PSeshBm.png

Traffic was stuck like this for 15 minutes before I finally deleted the bus stop. :p

lmao

I didn't build that many buses, really. I only have about 6 or so. Those are the generic municipal tourist buses.

HAMSTER INVASION!

The High School is what teaches recycling to educated sims, as far as I understand. At least it is the only school building that says so in it's description. In my cities, recycling has only started to appear after I've plopped both a High School and Recycling Center.

Hmm, I should expand my high school if my game comes back =/

Recycling trucks only work from like 4am to noon. Then you have to wait til the next day to get more recyclables.

Zafir

My area has been infested with ghost criminals. I built a city, got 280k population, and then the city just fell apart so I bulldozed it all and moved onto a different region near it. Even though there was absolutely nothing left, as i bulldozed every inch. I still got 200criminals come across to my new region, and it's fucked stuff up. >.<

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Of course, I suppose the busses weren't as irksome as the army of arsonists that came from your city. :)

Really? When I founded it, I had a bunch of criminals come in from your city, too, which led me to build Maxisman and a bunch of police.

However, I then build the Vu Tower to see what it would do, and I maaaay have "unleashed henchmen" a few too many times to test :p

I'm doing my best to arrest everyone in my city lol. I did have maxisman capture Vu, though. I wonder what that will do.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
My area has been infested with ghost criminals. I built a city, got 280k population, and then the city just fell apart so I bulldozed it all and moved onto a different region near it. Even though there was absolutely nothing left, as i bulldozed every inch. I still got 200criminals come across to my new region, and it's fucked stuff up. >.<

The server still thinks your former city isn't bulldozed yet. Go back to it, and progress some time for a bit after you bulldozed it. It might be best to just try to build a small town in its place.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Having some oil in the ground is the best for any kind of trade city, since it lets you build oil wells.

I used the oil well's service roads to make bypasses for the delivery trucks, and it seems that it works on all forms of delivery trucks. Nice.

Not sure if this applies to the wind power service roads or the garbage truck roads.

DEO3

How do libraries work? The description says that when Sims can't find a place to shop, they go to the library, and since shopping is the primary way you make sims happy, does that mean the library is more of a happiness building than an education building?

Septimius

Having some oil in the ground is the best for any kind of trade city, since it lets you build oil wells.

I used the oil well's service roads to make bypasses for the delivery trucks, and it seems that it works on all forms of delivery trucks. Nice.

Not sure if this applies to the wind power service roads or the garbage truck roads.

Wait whaaaaaaaat. So you build that free dirt-road, and all delivery trucks just stroll down that road automatically? Oh, hells yeah.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How do libraries work? The description says that when Sims can't find a place to shop, they go to the library, and since shopping is the primary way you make sims happy, does that mean the library is more of a happiness building than an education building?
It seems more like a park to me. I didn't really see much benefit to my education when using it. I remember with Simcity 4, I could notice an impact on education with the library, especially combined with the youth reading ordinance.

Wait whaaaaaaaat. So you build that free dirt-road, and all delivery trucks just stroll down that road automatically? Oh, hells yeah.

Yep. Just make sure that the service road path is the shortest route, otherwise they won't use it.

I made a post earlier about using pedestrian paths from the university in a similar fashion as well.

It seems more like a park to me. I didn't really see much benefit to my education when using it. I remember with Simcity 4, I could notice an impact on education with the library, especially combined with the youth reading ordinance.

And now I'm aware that all the ordinance stuff is gone too.

Oh fun, my city is rolling back. Let's see how this dice roll goes. Probability of me uninstalling this game and never coming back to it...65%.

there was one trick where i bypassed the rollback BS.

i had two cities in the same region.
tried to go to one of the cities and got the message about the rollback/ abandon option.
so i chose the other city.
once you're in the other city, click on the region button on the bottom left.
it will bring you to the region map.
from there, click on the original city and click on "load"
boom. you're in the original city without the rollback.
it worked for me a couple of times already.

Xane

And now I'm aware that all the ordinance stuff is gone too.

Well, if you think about.. all previous SimCities had a more statistical approach than proper simulation, it was easier to add in external factors and / or variables like ordinances.
With Glassbox, I guess they need to implement proper logic for these to work again.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Well, if you think about.. all previous SimCities had a more statistical approach than proper simulation, it was easier to add in external factors and / or variables like ordinances.
With Glassbox, I guess they need to implement proper logic for these to work again.

It couldn't be that hard, can it? There are already statistical approaches in this game too.

The hospital addons already do things like reduce the time sims take to recover, or improve emergency response times. I don't see why ordinances couldn't have a similar effect.

The clean air ordinance could also be applied fairly easily, I'd imagine. The way the game works now is that industrial zones make freight and deliver it. Every time they do, they gain money and happiness. A pollution tax would take out a cut of the money in exchange for lower levels of emitted pollution. Or even more simply, just pay a monthly cost for a city wide reduction in the default pollution output rate of the factories.

Educational awareness ordinances could increase the amount of education units each sim receives from a day of school over the default value.

Power and water ordinances could reduce the demand for power and water from each building.

Recycling ordinances could further increase the ratio of recyclables/garbage that each sim outputs per day.

Carpooling ordinances could assign random car agents to carry two workers instead of one.

Public transportation ordinances could expand the range of pedestrian foot traffic.

etc.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
New blog.

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-update-8

Working on pathing, but it seems like they could have used a more intensive beta to nip these things in the bud earlier.
On that note I wanted to take a moment to address a question that&#8217;s been coming up: the persistence of our Sims. The Sims in the game are persistent in many respects. They go from a home to a workplace or to a shop and back each day. Their happiness, money, sickness, education level, etc. are also persistent and are carried around the city with each Sim as the simulation unfolds. But many aspects of the Sims are not persistent. They don&#8217;t own a particular house or have permanent employment. We also don&#8217;t track their names, their clothing, gender, or skin color. We did this as in attempt to increase performance so that we could have more Sims in the city. Ultimately we didn&#8217;t feel that the cost of adding in that extra layer of micro detail made the macro game play richer. Game design is filled with tradeoffs and compromises like this and we are constantly evaluating these (and many other) decisions.

Isn't it the buildings that are persistent, and not the sims? The sims are only as persistent for the time they exist as a worker agent, shopper agent, student agent, or tourist agent, is what I thought.

Isn't it the buildings that are persistent, and not the sims? The sims are only as persistent for the time they exist as a worker agent, shopper agent, student agent, or tourist agent, is what I thought.
It's probably a mix of both. Most likely when a "sim" enters a building, that building gets a Sim personality packet added to it that tells the building that a sim is in the building that has 32% happiness, 500 moneys, 24 educations, etc. Then when the building needs to output a sim it goes through all the sims packets contained inside and creates a new sim for each packet.

They would have to do things like this to correctly simulate the happiness/education/etc. of sims within a particular part of town.

KKRT00

It's probably a mix of both. Most likely when a "sim" enters a building, that building gets a Sim personality packet added to it that tells the building that a sim is in the building that has 32% happiness, 500 moneys, 24 educations, etc. Then when the building needs to output a sim it goes through all the sims packets contained inside and creates a new sim for each packet.

They would have to do things like this to correctly simulate the happiness/education/etc. of sims within a particular part of town.

Yep, its definitely working this way. Building are storing general information of sims that are coming in and when they are creating new sims when they need to be send out, they fit them with one of stored properties.

Ben Sones

On that note I wanted to take a moment to address a question that&#8217;s been coming up: the persistence of our Sims. The Sims in the game are persistent in many respects. They go from a home to a workplace or to a shop and back each day. Their happiness, money, sickness, education level, etc. are also persistent and are carried around the city with each Sim as the simulation unfolds. But many aspects of the Sims are not persistent. They don&#8217;t own a particular house or have permanent employment. We also don&#8217;t track their names, their clothing, gender, or skin color. We did this as in attempt to increase performance so that we could have more Sims in the city. Ultimately we didn&#8217;t feel that the cost of adding in that extra layer of micro detail made the macro game play richer. Game design is filled with tradeoffs and compromises like this and we are constantly evaluating these (and many other) decisions.

Ah, how far we've come in just a couple of short months from:

This is one of the most emergent simulations I&#8217;ve ever worked on. There are moments in the game that surprise us every day. We&#8217;ve seen reports of extreme bad luck where players have been hit with zombie attacks for 6 years in a row. We&#8217;ve seen Sims stay out all night at night clubs only to rush off to work the next morning. I love destroying a jail full of criminals and watching them spill into the streets. You never know what they will do, from committing a crime to moving into someone&#8217;s empty house. It&#8217;s quite comical.

Source.

He says that almost as though he doesn't realize that every Sim moves into someone's empty house, every day. That's just how it works. And "stay out all night at a night club, only to rush off to work the next morning"? The game doesn't model any of that. I remember reading tons of this sort of stuff over the past year. How about:

Gamasutra: You talked about simulating the Sims, and everything coming from that, rather than necessarily being a top-down simulation.

OQ: Definitely. The bottom-up. It's worth pointing out that it's not just the Sims who are simulation elements. The buildings are simulation elements as well as are, say, the vehicles, as are the map. The important point there is that it's coming up. It's a simulation that's built of interacting parts as opposed to a modeled, top-down simulation.

Gamasutra: Is that what inspired you to do it? The sense that it would make the game more open-ended, or more variable?

OQ: It's the combination of having it be more open-ended, so that you combine things and get new behavior, and it's also the desire to have something that's got more close-in integrity. You know, by way of contrast with SimCity 4, because it was a model with top-down simulation, we wanted to tell you details about what was going in a given building or on a given block or on a given street or in a given car. We essentially had to make it up, and we had to do some smoke and mirrors tricks to try and make it so we weren't contradicting ourselves. Because that data wasn't really there.

But with this new simulation -- the simulation's taking place in a building, and there's enough integrity to what's actually going on inside that particular building that no matter how we show you the data, we're not contradicting ourselves, because it's really there. It's like the joke about why it's easier to tell the truth than be a liar. If you're telling the truth, you just tell the story, and tell it from this angle and tell it from that angle and tell it from the other angle, and it all lines up because it's fundamentally the truth. But if you're a liar, you have to keep all your facts straight in your head, right?

Source.

Yeah, no smoke and mirrors in the new Simcity, no top-down abstractions driving the behavior of your populace. They simulate the Sims, and everything flows from that.

Is there a text equivalent of a bullshot? A: YES.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm just wondering, what's this winding road strategy that I've been reading about in news posts?

It's a crude strategy used to take advantage of the sims' specific pathfinding. Basically, it all forces them in one single direction, so that the herd mentality of the pathfinding AI runs into as little interruptions as possible.

I actually did this in the beta, but no one seemed to think much of it at the time.

That was neat. I tried out a "one road only" city, and it got up to 120k sims before I got bored of not being able to build anything else.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is it possible to afford avenues when you just start off though? And does it outweigh the fact you end up losing quite a bit of real estate?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Second city is doing well. 190k pop. Monthly balance is -10k, but selling tv's and computers is profitable. What do I do with 10 million simoleons now?

B-Dex

That blog post is telling us to QA their game for them......

I encourage you to go to the Test server so that we can expedite the timeframe in which this feature is brought back to the rest of our servers.

Acorn

Hmm, I think we may be getting cheetah speed back soon. The twitter seems to be teasing it.

It may just be my wishful thinking though.

Koomaster

So I've got no idea what's happening to my great works construction. I'm trying to send about 2600 tonnes of metal, the figure will rise to say 2000 then suddenly drop down to 800 for no reason, then it will rise again then drop, keeps doing this, anyone else had any issues with constructing a great works (Trying to build an arcology)
Yeah me and some friends went to build an arcology and that process is bugged. For us it wouldn't update us fast enough on what amounts of things we were sending it. We still had a long way to go when I checked the great works screen.

Suddenly one of my friends got an update in game that it was finished. On my screen I had only delivered ~600 tons of metal out of 2800 and 800 tons of alloy out of 1000. It also said we had about 25,000 tvs to go. But shortly after my friend said it was done it updated for me and said it was finished as well.

Everyone was just, 'um, yay it's done... somehow.'

Then the power/water we needed to send it updated and a few minutes after that it jumped to level 8 density. I'm completely clueless on how any of this happened. It's like all this got done by magic.

Mik2121

zomg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVkw9mWonNA

Faster, please. Enable this on the test server, and I am so there.

This is the kind of stuff that always amazes me, even if I'm also in the same industry... They spent a couple years doing some stuff, have a bunch of people doing QA and even when they release the game, something as important as the traffic system is messed up when released, but it just took them a few days to get quite done with it (even if they said it's still being developed and there's no date announcement for it).

Oh well, hopefully they fix this and many other things within the next few weeks :)

Yeah me and some friends went to build an arcology and that process is bugged. For us it wouldn't update us fast enough on what amounts of things we were sending it. We still had a long way to go when I checked the great works screen.

Suddenly one of my friends got an update in game that it was finished. On my screen I had only delivered ~600 tons of metal out of 2800 and 800 tons of alloy out of 1000. It also said we had about 25,000 tvs to go. But shortly after my friend said it was done it updated for me and said it was finished as well.

Everyone was just, 'um, yay it's done... somehow.'

Then the power/water we needed to send it updated and a few minutes after that it jumped to level 8 density. I'm completely clueless on how any of this happened. It's like all this got done by magic.

Same exact thing happened to me. Talk about anti-climatic. I just logged in and saw it was done, asked my buddy if he contributed ANYTHING to it, and he said no. I was about halfway done when I logged off earlier in the day.

Like 20 minutes later, it was fully working, and now I have something insane like 30,000 people commuting to my city.

Nuklear

Banned
Eh...sort of. You essentially have to start small with low density, and then gradually expand and upgrade.

I've built two cities with high density street cars right off the bat and I've had no problems. Just make sure you leave enough money to build a power plant and water tower. I usually start off with wind as it's cheap and is more than enough power for a small city at first.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone know the cheapest price on this? I had a friend who got a deal from this Indian site or something like that. Not a key site but he really didn't explain. Trying to buy a gift copy for a friend. Any ideas PM please.

Koomaster

Same exact thing happened to me. Talk about anti-climatic. I just logged in and saw it was done, asked my buddy if he contributed ANYTHING to it, and he said no. I was about halfway done when I logged off earlier in the day.

Like 20 minutes later, it was fully working, and now I have something insane like 30,000 people commuting to my city.
I really can't even fathom how it got finished. I was the only one contributing metal and alloy to it. But I set up my recycling centers/trade depots to focus mostly on the alloy to get that finished first. I had 2 metal processing centers total and like 3 metal storage lots for the trade depots

As far as I know nothing in my city would have needed to use the alloy and my alloy storage never filled up to full. You would think that f the arcology was finished with alloy it would start backing up in my city and give me a message saying the lots were full. But on my screen everything was progressing as normal. Slow but normal. Then suddenly finished.

Maybe the game pads the figures of shipped products to the great works site like it pads the population numbers?

Top Bottom