• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

You have to have a trade depot. Make sure the trade depot has the appropriate module for the material you are donating to the great works site. Then make sure it's set to 'use locally'. You also have to click on the great works button and be sure to 'turn on' the material you are donating.

If you've done all that and it's still showing zero, it's because it's bugged. See other responses above on this. Doesn't seem to ever show you the true number of materials that have been donated thus far. If you zoom out of your city to the great works site, keep a watch on the highways. If you see alloy/metal delivery trucks leaving your city and making their way to the site, then it's working, it's just not telling you it's working.

Speaking of not working - does anyone else have trouble with helicopters? I finally got fed up with my traffic snarled city burning down around me so I sprung for an airport so I could also buy a deluxe fire station with 4 (yes FOUR!) fire fighting helicopters.

Meanwhile my city continues to burn down around me while the fire station just reads 'Ready to respond to fires' and I see no helicopters in the sky doing their job. I know this worked last week in another city I built as I watched a helicopter put out a fire. But now these FOUR helicopters which are costing me $5k an hour aren't doing anything. So anyone else experiencing the same thing?

oh ok, I had my trade port set to export everything. I will try to set it to local and see if that helps

Dunkelgrau

I have no idea, but I wouldn't count on getting one for a long long LONG time. They've got months of work ahead of them to just make the game not suck. A demo has to be on the farthest back of all back burners at the moment.
So, beside the server-problems, there are a lot of gameplay-problems, too, right?
I don’t really have time to play “Sim City”, but I want to try it, because I like the graphics: It looks so awesome! And I like the interface, too.

May it will be a much better game in one month?

Slacker

Hope you like Spore!

lol, I least I don't have that one. :p

]blacky[;50262195 said:
So, beside the server-problems, there are a lot of gameplay-problems, too, right?
I don’t really have time to play “Sim City”, but I want to try it, because I like the graphics: It looks so awesome! And I like the interface, too.

May it will be a much better game in one month?

Yeah it should be much better once they get a few of the major issues patched up. I'd just keep an eye on this thread for updates in a couple weeks.

Jinroh

I've just lost my city. I was playing solo. Just came back home, wanted to load it, and it told me it had issues and proposed a rollback, which I accepted. The game said it would take a few minutes.

So I quit the game to do something else, and once I started it again, no resume option, nothing. I have to start from scratch.

As a consumer I really feel sad and stupid to have given Maxis/EA my money for a non-functional product. Not being able to back up saves manually is dramatic.

OchreHand

Eurogamer posted a very well written review that nails pretty much every problem with the game on the head:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-15-simcity-review

4/10 score.

Well written review.

The more I play this game, the less I like it. For me the game's best moments are in the very beginning during the brain storming stage. It's the part of the game where there's so much possibility.

But then reality sets in and all the flaws come out. Shame, really.

Septimius

]blacky[;50260227 said:
Will they release a demo of the game?

I've been looking through the code, and there is a demo-mode. I have no idea how it works, but everything seems to be in place to release a demo.

Lint21

Neo Member
ok, now i understand:

pMgi4jJ.png

Septimius

So, I'm tired of trying to find a region with others to play with, since the join tool is a poor excuse for anything but a "Hello, World!" program. Opening a new GAF-region. Plop your nick, and I'll invite you to my Titan George.

EDIT: Oh yeah. NA West 4

For the AMD graphics card owners, a new beta driver has been released with SimCity improvements:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst13-3WINBetaDriver.aspx

AMD Catalyst™ 13.3 Windows® Beta Driver
Last Updated
3/15/2013

Feature Highlights of the AMD Catalyst™ 13.3 Beta Driver for Windows®

Improve performance in Sim City 5 up to 16 percent
Improves performance in Far Cry 3 up to 5 percent
Improves latency performance issues seen in Tomb Raider and Hitman Absolution
Resolves slight corruption seen in Tomb Raider with TressFX enabled for CrossFire and single GPU configurations

I finally caved and bought this POS. I've had it for about 4 days and finally got to have a decent run with it last night. I think i've pretty much done all I can with this game because the map size along with the sewerage and water systems have completely ruined the experience for me! I hate how you have to keep building new sewerage systems, is there no way to upgrade so you don't have to keep replacing this and the water facilities? Once all the water runs out in a map what are you supposed to do? Build a new city?! Umm I don't think so....the major drawcard for me buying this game was so I can keep working on my city slowly over time and have it develop into something amazing that I can keep going back to, but the shitty city size and these two amenities are ruining it. I also started a huge 16 zone map but if the ground keeps getting polluted and resources keep running out I know I will have to replace cities eventually and I really don't want that.

Unless i'm missing something (please help if you know solutions around the above problems) I don't feel like playing this game anymore. I was really enjoying this as well and because i've realised over the last few months the only games I can play now are ones either with loot, online co-op or sim/building/base games or quick fix arcade shmups I don't have many games I can get into. I'm having real trouble with any story based games as they just bore me now. Couldn't finish Dead Space 3 (i'm on chapter 18 lol), couldn't play more than a couple of hours on either of the Batman games and don't wanna buy GOW: Ascension, so I just don't wanna waste my money and really be selective of my purchases - wow what a way to waste it on an EA game eh? I haven't had any server issues except for the game slowing to a crawl every now and again (fixed with an Origina restart) and the always online doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Can anyone recommend any games like this I can buy? The last time I played something like this was Viva Pinata 1&2 and before that I think the original Theme Park. I'd much rather pick something up on the PC as playing these building games with a mouse is preferable. I'm thinking the expansion to SC2 might be the way to go but I would really love something where I can just sit there and build for hours on end instead of worrying about time limits, story etc. SC2 is good, but I just wanna take a couple of days to build a massive fortress then attack when I get bored of it and found that quite hard to do on SC2 (even on the skirmish mode). I'm thinking Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 but I would really love something new because i'm a graphics whore and like having excellent (up-to-date) graphcis when I play. Please don't recommend Sim City 4 because it doesn't have the graphical component I am looking for.

Some help would be much appreciated as I haven't been keeping up with PC games and only built one to play Diablo 3. Now that I got a good one I am open to some games like this I may have missed in the past year or two (nothing older than that unless it looks amazing).

OchreHand

I think i've pretty much done all I can with this game because the map size along with the sewerage and water systems have completely ruined the experience for me! I hate how you have to keep building new sewerage systems, is there no way to upgrade so you don't have to keep replacing this and the water facilities? Once all the water runs out in a map what are you supposed to do? Build a new city?! .

I was having this problem as well. The trick is once you're able to buy the sewage treatment center, place it on an area of your city that has clean water, and place your water facility next to it. The water facility seems to take your sewage and output clean water. It's a weird solution but it seems to work.

but yeah..this game has serious problems.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I wonder how much QA they did. This is one of the few games that makes me rage quit out of frustration due to the traffic

Any GAFers on North America East 2 need a player? I am making some good cities these days, want to join up with some others.

Edit: Add me if you want. Origin ID: Gutterboy4444

I was having this problem as well. The trick is once you're able to buy the sewage treatment center, place it on an area of your city that has clean water, and place your water facility next to it. The water facility seems to take your sewage and output clean water. It's a weird solution but it seems to work.

but yeah..this game has serious problems.

Wow really? That seems like a good solution. In my first city I had a treatment centre for my water and it was on polluted ground but the water levels were still poor. I may have missed a water tower somewhere that was still on polluted ground but i'm not sure. Does the water become perfectly clean? Cuz I think the quality level was around 50%

JWong

Banned
ok, now i understand:

pMgi4jJ.png

1 pagers are the basis of all games. If a game's core concept design can't fit one page, it's not concise, has too much feature creeping, and the designer has no idea what they want in the game.

I haven't read that doc, but I'm saying that being concise is not a bad thing.

You'd have to be completely ignorant if anyone thinks high production games don't have more than 1 page for documentation.

I finally caved and bought this POS. I've had it for about 4 days and finally got to have a decent run with it last night. I think i've pretty much done all I can with this game because the map size along with the sewerage and water systems have completely ruined the experience for me! I hate how you have to keep building new sewerage systems, is there no way to upgrade so you don't have to keep replacing this and the water facilities? Once all the water runs out in a map what are you supposed to do? Build a new city?! Umm I don't think so....the major drawcard for me buying this game was so I can keep working on my city slowly over time and have it develop into something amazing that I can keep going back to, but the shitty city size and these two amenities are ruining it. I also started a huge 16 zone map but if the ground keeps getting polluted and resources keep running out I know I will have to replace cities eventually and I really don't want that.

Unless i'm missing something (please help if you know solutions around the above problems) I don't feel like playing this game anymore. I was really enjoying this as well and because i've realised over the last few months the only games I can play now are ones either with loot, online co-op or sim/building/base games or quick fix arcade shmups I don't have many games I can get into. I'm having real trouble with any story based games as they just bore me now. Couldn't finish Dead Space 3 (i'm on chapter 18 lol), couldn't play more than a couple of hours on either of the Batman games and don't wanna buy GOW: Ascension, so I just don't wanna waste my money and really be selective of my purchases - wow what a way to waste it on an EA game eh? I haven't had any server issues except for the game slowing to a crawl every now and again (fixed with an Origina restart) and the always online doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Can anyone recommend any games like this I can buy? The last time I played something like this was Viva Pinata 1&2 and before that I think the original Theme Park. I'd much rather pick something up on the PC as playing these building games with a mouse is preferable. I'm thinking the expansion to SC2 might be the way to go but I would really love something where I can just sit there and build for hours on end instead of worrying about time limits, story etc. SC2 is good, but I just wanna take a couple of days to build a massive fortress then attack when I get bored of it and found that quite hard to do on SC2 (even on the skirmish mode). I'm thinking Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 but I would really love something new because i'm a graphics whore and like having excellent (up-to-date) graphcis when I play. Please don't recommend Sim City 4 because it doesn't have the graphical component I am looking for.

Some help would be much appreciated as I haven't been keeping up with PC games and only built one to play Diablo 3. Now that I got a good one I am open to some games like this I may have missed in the past year or two (nothing older than that unless it looks amazing).

I don't even own the game and I believe water treatment plants produce clean water around it which you can then reuse with water buildings.
Edit: apparently I need to read all posts before posting, someone got you covered already

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
1 pagers are the basis of all games. If a game's core concept design can't fit one page, it's not concise, has too much feature creeping, and the designer has no idea what they want in the game.

I haven't read that doc, but I'm saying that being concise is not a bad thing.

You'd have to be completely ignorant if anyone thinks high production games don't have more than 1 page for documentation.

Um, how many GDD's have you actually seen? I've read plenty that are much more than one page, a really good design doc covers many, many aspects of the game's development. Sure, a GDD can be one page, but many high profile games (many games in general) have had very large GDD's, I'd bet that most high production games do.

I'm just curious, I don't have the game but I've been watching all this madness around it. If they called this game SimCity: ONLINE. Would that have circumvented a lot of the complaints?

I'm just curious, I don't have the game but I've been watching all this madness around it. If they called this game SimCity: ONLINE. Would that have circumvented a lot of the complaints?

It wouldn't have excused the shit launch and the fact that a lot of things aren't working - or working right - yet.

But yeah, maybe.

unbias

It wouldn't have excused the shit launch and the fact that a lot of things aren't working - or working right - yet.

But yeah, maybe.

I dont think it would, because as has been proven, there is nothing intrinsically needed to run online. I think it would have been perceived, still, as ninja drm.

Raven77

You know, I was really willing to give Maxis the benefit of the doubt, give them time to fix this mess, but they REALLY need to quit telling me how I'm SUPPOSED to play the damn game.

I BOUGHT the damn game, and I'll PLAY the damn game however I want. Don't try to tell me I don't want an offline mode.

Zafir

Just double click the treatment plant and the water pump and you upgrade it. No need to place a new one. Water running out has already been answered it seems too. :p

aside from the obvious needed improvements I would like an option to "pre-plop" for lack of a better word all the add-ons of a building, basically just reserve the space so I know exactly where I can and cant build around it

I would also like better guides on exactly how much space RCI zones will need in order to become high density and/or possibly a warning of some kind when zoning if it will not be able to grow to full density

IISANDERII

Eurogamer posted a very well written review that nails pretty much every problem with the game on the head:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-15-simcity-review

In one of my towns, the main road is forever clogged behind a parked car that refuses to move and which is thus blocking all the city's critical services.
Fuck you Ashley Beasley
Nearby, buses bought to alleviate traffic congestion can also be spotted driving up and down the same strip of road over and over again. Their 40 passengers have never been known to disembark and I wonder if all on board have long since perished, leaving the ghostly carriage to haunt the streets forever.
Heh

Heysoos

Why do I feel so damn guilty enjoying the fuck out of this game? :( It's so addicting.

The cities do feel extremely claustrophobic though. I'm REALLY hoping they add way bigger sizes. That said for 20 bucks I couldn't pass it up. I don't mind waiting for fixes at that price.

Fuck you Ashley BeasleyHeh

I also had one car that wouldn't fucking move. I have no idea what happened, but it just sat there backing up ALL of traffic. For a while I thought it was like some car accident backing up traffic, but it NEVER moved. I ended up just demolishing and rebuilding the road.

JWong

Banned
Um, how many GDD's have you actually seen? I've read plenty that are much more than one page, a really good design doc covers many, many aspects of the game's development. Sure, a GDD can be one page, but many high profile games (many games in general) have had very large GDD's, I'd bet that most high production games do.

There are GDDs and there are docs called 1-Pagers.

I'm in game development, so I've read and made hundreds of docs.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I've just lost my city. I was playing solo. Just came back home, wanted to load it, and it told me it had issues and proposed a rollback, which I accepted. The game said it would take a few minutes.

So I quit the game to do something else
, and once I started it again, no resume option, nothing. I have to start from scratch.

As a consumer I really feel sad and stupid to have given Maxis/EA my money for a non-functional product. Not being able to back up saves manually is dramatic.

Not defending the city corruption crap but did you really quit in the middle of a rollback and complain that it was now broke for good?

Update 1.6.1

General:
•Turned regional Achievements back on!
•We are now prioritizing games with available slots in the “Join Game” menu in the front end
•Update so players will go through the Getting Started Scenario only once. They will see the Play menus when they switch servers
•Fix for a gameplay crash
•UI improvement: Increased time showing system alerts for readability
•Graphics: shader change to improve look of walls and parking lots
•It’s now easier to place airport runways
•Budget transaction optimization to increase performance
•Update of Buffers on buildings to save memory
•Performance improvement for lower end machines

Servers:
•DB performance upgrades to increase response times

Top Bottom