• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
•We are now prioritizing games with available slots in the “Join Game” menu in the front end

Serious, that was (still is?) so broken it's ridiculous. I've never been able to join a public game at all.

Mik2121

Alright guys, got a question..

How do you all manage the garbage? I don't have much more space in my city and yet the garbage keeps pilling up and I need to add land to dump the garbage... and also the ground keeps getting dirty. Is there some way to prevent that, or there's just no way?

With such small spaces to build the towns, nothing feels natural. Having all the water stuff, the sewers and all the industrial area a couple blocks from a bunch of skyscrapers... :S

Oh well, either way, I hope they add bigger sizes sometime, because the current size is way too small :(

How do you all manage the garbage? I don't have much more space in my city and yet the garbage keeps pilling up and I need to add land to dump the garbage... and also the ground keeps getting dirty. Is there some way to prevent that, or there's just no way?
You can get improved ultilities, which lets you add a garbage incinerator to your garbage dump, which removes garbage stored on the ground. Also a recycling center will get rid of some of the garbage (how much depends on how educated your townsfolk are). Or you can ship off your garbage to another town.

sangreal

With such small spaces to build the towns, nothing feels natural. Having all the water stuff, the sewers and all the industrial area a couple blocks from a bunch of skyscrapers... :S

Oh well, either way, I hope they add bigger sizes sometime, because the current size is way too small :(

You can add an incinerator and burn the garbage. I'm told you can bulldoze it too, but not sure how that works. Godzilla also eats it. As for pollution, a higher tech level will attract industry that doesn't pollute. Build a community college or university but make sure you have educated sims to work there first

I agree with your conplaints

Tenacious-V

You can bulldoze the garbage, it adds a big chunk of ground pollution though. To clean up the dirty/polluted ground you plant trees. They'll die off, but the ground will have improved a bit. Just keep doing it until it's all good again (may take a damn long time depending on how polluted it was).

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Yeah, garbage isn't much of a problem. It's cheap to dump and burn it, and when you get high tech, the dump will be virtually empty.

I do have a spot of radiation from a meteor impact, but I plopped a park on it for now.

Septimius

Still accepting people for my new NeoGAF region. I got tired of looking for a place to play online, since the menu is so broken, so I started my own region. Drop your nick, and I'll invite you to my Titan George.

Tenacious-V

Still accepting people for my new NeoGAF region. I got tired of looking for a place to play online, since the menu is so broken, so I started my own region. Drop your nick, and I'll invite you to my Titan George.

Sure, always up for a gaf region. OriginID: Brawndoh

What server btw.

Mik2121

Same here. I got a big town going on on another server, but it'd be nice to have two going on (plus, the one I have isn't going to grow all that much more sadly...)

OriginID: Mik2121x

Delio

Why do I feel so damn guilty enjoying the fuck out of this game? :( It's so addicting.

The cities do feel extremely claustrophobic though. I'm REALLY hoping they add way bigger sizes. That said for 20 bucks I couldn't pass it up. I don't mind waiting for fixes at that price.

I also had one car that wouldn't fucking move. I have no idea what happened, but it just sat there backing up ALL of traffic. For a while I thought it was like some car accident backing up traffic, but it NEVER moved. I ended up just demolishing and rebuilding the road.

20 bucks? where?

Septimius

So I guess you both have to be on the NA West 4 server for me to find you? I sent you an origin friend-request, but I can't find you ingame

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It just takes time. Keep them happy, and their density meter fills. Also, have enough room in the zone (check out the back line of a zone you place next to a medium or high density road), and you need a medium or high density road to support the density.

Are you on NA West 4?

Not at the moment but that is my origin name

elektrixx

Banned
I'm getting annoyed by how my cities seem to peak very quickly and then all of a sudden become unprofitable.

I've tried perfectly planning everything and it still isn't good enough. The game keeps demanding more and more even though the entire square is filled with maximum land value.

I think I'm about done with this game.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
There are GDDs and there are docs called 1-Pagers.

I'm in game development, so I've read and made hundreds of docs.

Oh, by 1 pagers you mean the synopsis? I think we were talking about two different things then, heh.

I'm getting annoyed by how my cities seem to peak very quickly and then all of a sudden become unprofitable.

I've tried perfectly planning everything and it still isn't good enough. The game keeps demanding more and more even though the entire square is filled with maximum land value.

I would think that's your problem right there - you don't want to have only super high land value, unless you have an interesting city that doesn't need workers, or are running a town where you import all your workers from other towns in the region. High land value means only rich people can afford to live there, and they aren't going to work at the mall or the oil refinery.

jwhit28

I haven't played this Simcity, but in past games you have to be careful not to upgrade too fast. Just because you can make high density, doesn't mean you should. Attract too many people at once and you get all of the problems that come with it (not enough water, not enough power, education under funded, not enough jobs, bad traffic). Take it slow.

Im all for DLC in this game as it will keep it alive longer. But there is no way i will pay that price. Insane!

You wouldn't pay $15 for DLC that made SimCity a completely new game that is totally awesome and add more than 60 hours of gameplay? Since we have no idea what the DLC would be, it doesn't make sense to complain about the price. And BTW, many people already paid $20 for what amounts to DLC: the Digital Deluxe package that came with 3 city packs (which are DLC that normally costs $10 each) cost $20 extra.

So, I am playing in a region and produce about 700 liter more than I need to use. And want sell that to my friend, who needs it. Why does my city only sells only 254 liters? Does region sharing not even work properly? Am I doing something wrong? He has a shortage of 150 liters still or so, but my city does not want to sell more.

Is there any way to change language? I hate this regional shit, i dont want to play next game in polish ;\

I've heard that in some cases, if you change the language of Origin, then redownload SimCity, it will download the language you have Origin using. I also read about one person who talked to EA support and they offered to change the language version attached to his Origin account (but that only works if you bought the game through Origin, not a retail copy).

Gandie

I'm paying 5k a month for public transportation, have reworked my street layout several times, traffic is still unbearable.

Septimius

I'm paying 5k a month for public transportation, have reworked my street layout several times, traffic is still unbearable.

It's because you have to build around a broken shortest-path algorithm instead of making an optimal city. My current city has this infrastructure:

Three avenues spanning the length of the map. Long high density roads crossing them, where my houses are. If I'd redo it, I'd probably have four avenues.

No zones can ever be put on an avenue - it will make traffic go all the way up to the next intersection, then all the way back, to cross the street. And the shortest path doesn't take that into account.

Place zones like this:

Code:
||                 ||
||vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv||
||-----------------||
||^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^||
||                 ||
||                 ||
||vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv||
||-----------------||
||^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^||
||                 ||
||                 ||

|| = avenue
- = road
v and ^ = zones

Then you have a band of industrial at the top or bottom, and mix commercial with residential (and remember to have a freight depot, so deliveries to commercial will magically pop into the commercial buildings).

That way, the commute is likely to happen along the avenues. You'll likely see some congested roads, but it's a very well functioning layout while still being basic.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Is there any way to change language? I hate this regional shit, i dont want to play next game in polish ;\

To make videos for Gamersyde, I had to switch the game to English as Origin installed it in French.

If you don't mind redownloading the whole 2GB files, just change de language of Origin, uninstall and reinstall SimCity.

But if you don't want to redownload everything, here is how I did it :

So I switched Origin language to English, copied the game folder to somewhere else, then uninstalled the game.
Then I copied back the game folder to its original place, then I chose to install it again.
I got some errors, and after reading the Origin log files, I fount out that some files where conflicting, so I had to delete these :
- \SimCity\SimCity\EAWebkit.dll
- \SimCity\SimCity\version_app.txt

I think that was the only files I had to delete, retry to download the game if you get errors, if it's still showing errors, open the log file (C:/ProgramData/Origin/Logs/Client_Log.html) and try to see at the end which file is causing problems.

If you can't find it, just delete some more files in the SimCity\SimCity folder, and retry, the SimCity\SimCityData folder is mostly filed with the game launcher.

If you get ??? everywhere in the launcher, close it and copy \SimCity\SimCityData\Locale\en-us to \SimCity\SimCity\Locale\en-us (or in the other way, I don't remembler).

That's a bit tricky, but as I didn't have time to redownload the whole 2GB files, I had to find a way by myself to change language twice (yeah after that I switched back to french...).

Mazdarati

Neo Member
No zones can ever be put on an avenue - it will make traffic go all the way up to the next intersection, then all the way back, to cross the street. And the shortest path doesn't take that into account.
That way, the commute is likely to happen along the avenues. You'll likely see some congested roads, but it's a very well functioning layout while still being basic.

Agreed. I pretty much make my cities the same way. I don't zone along the avenues and try to keep the avenue as clean as possible. Here's one of my work in progress lower wealth cities:
3wXRNqs.jpg

gyMS5hi.jpg

faP1DCx.jpg

Gandie

That fixed it. Not even the game's fault. Thank you!

brentech

I will have to try this. I made all my roadways avenues. Will have to make a change slowly after sections rebuild.
Haven't played in a few days as I'm building an all new computer, but my most recent city had been pretty successful. Only recently did traffic seem to get outrageous at times.

Delio

Hey guys is it possible to create a city that's kinda like a college town? Not much Industry and more shopping,houses and school? Or is it a bit to broken for that right now?

brentech

Hey guys is it possible to create a city that's kinda like a college town? Not much Industry and more shopping,houses and school? Or is it a bit to broken for that right now?
I have 0 industry in my current city. Just utilities and residential/commercial.
Just have to start slow and slowly build up for what your infrastructure can support.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So, I am playing in a region and produce about 700 liter more than I need to use. And want sell that to my friend, who needs it. Why does my city only sells only 254 liters? Does region sharing not even work properly? Am I doing something wrong? He has a shortage of 150 liters still or so, but my city does not want to sell more.

You can't send all of our excess to a single player. It is automatically evenly divided between cities.

brentech

Is there a way to get rid of hobos in your park other than demolishing it?

Oh man, I had an earthquake in my current city a few days ago, it demolished quite a bit of residential homes and I had hobos all over the place for a crap load of in-game time. I still have some, but it only shows 1-2 icons for them as opposed to like 25. Not sure how many each icon represents, but it's not 1:1

izt_is

Banned
I really really need more space ):

The cities are too damn small. I understand they want us to specialize and all that crap, but I WANT to put my high tech industries with my Ore mining so I have sustainable income.

BUT NO.

Game keeps telling me I have not enough workers; I also don't have enough students to make my university available.

I want to zone more residential, but the MAP IS FULL. (all this was done building in grids...don't even let me begin with the curved roads ->SPACE?!!?)

I don't mind the MP regions and stuff, but I really don't want to play MP all the time. Thing is my other city on a public server, I keep sending resources to the Great Works that we constructed, but IT NEVER UPDATES.

Seriously WTF is the point then if the region stuff is broken?!

Arghhhhh Sorry I just need to vent this anger somewhere.

Why couldn't maxis just update Simcity 4 for the new generation. GAWD DAMNIT.

Top Bottom